Better Call Saul: Season 6

Lurch

32 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Other than high dose caffeine type symptoms I think the only side effect of the drug was the pupil dilation. They specifically did not want Howard feeling like he had been drugged

but he knew he had. and he knew exactly how. jimmy does a lot of crazy shit in his schemes with chuck and howard, and even though he “gets away with them”, they are onto his every move from the start. 

i don’t love that, it seems unrealistic, but i get why they do it. chuck especially never missed a trick. 

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

but he knew he had. and he knew exactly how. jimmy does a lot of crazy shit in his schemes with chuck and howard, and even though he “gets away with them”, they are onto his every move from the start. 

i don’t love that, it seems unrealistic, but i get why they do it. chuck especially never missed a trick. 

Yep, and it didn't matter.  To the rest of the outside world, they both came across as crazy and paranoid, mission accomplished.

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

He knew quickly but not until he had fucked himself in the mediation.  He even had Cliff pretty much convinced in the office right after but Cliff knew there was nothing left to do but take the lower offer. 

• Like 1

Like other Jimmy schemes, there were many opportunities for the plan to fail. Example: what if Howard called for a break to talk over the problem with Cliff. Cliff would have thought Howard was out of it but it would have prevented the public meltdown. Or what if Howard had kept the incriminating photo in his possession.

I guess the one thing that we didn't know fully in advance was the the PI was working with Jimmy (assumed by not yet verified) and Howard figured out how he incorrectly connected with the fake PI.

Was that the scene they were filming when Odenkirk had his heart attack? I could’ve sworn I’d read somewhere that he had been on set filming a scene with Patrick Fabian, Rhea Seahorn, and Tony Dalton the day it happened.

Either way, everything about that final sequence in Jimmy and Kim’s apartment was incredibly well-done. Jimmy and Kim’s reactions to Lalo were perfectly done. That’s gotta be the most gut-wrenching death scene in this universe since Andrea got killed in Breaking Bad. Both had absolutely no skin in the game and were killed simply for intimidation. This was even tougher than Hank’s death because his was largely a result of his own hubris. Howard was wrong place wrong time and was the only morally good main character left in the show. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

So Lalo wanted them to pull all guards off everywhere else so he could talk to his attorney right? That’s why he made sure he was recorded saying he’d go after Gus? To make sure that no one would be watching Saul or any other “minor” target?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Like other Jimmy schemes, there were many opportunities for the plan to fail. Example: what if Howard called for a break to talk over the problem with Cliff. Cliff would have thought Howard was out of it but it would have prevented the public meltdown. Or what if Howard had kept the incriminating photo in his possession.

I guess the one thing that we didn't know fully in advance was the the PI was working with Jimmy (assumed by not yet verified) and Howard figured out how he incorrectly connected with the fake PI.

Despite the entire suspension of disbelief one needs for the entire D-Day con, this part did not sit well with me. Maybe we're supposed to believe the drugs did it, but it seemed very un-Howard like to confront the judge in front of everyone. I would have thought he would have gone and gotten the pictures, presented them to the mediator and Cliff in private. That part I really had a hard time buying.

And I guess being a partner he's a little disconnected from the street, but I also would assume for such a personal matter he would have called up and spoken to the owner of the P.I. shop and enlisted a guy he could trust not just any random.

I feel bad for Howard. You could see on Kim's face when he talked about his marriage maybe she had some fleeting second thoughts. I bet he thought Lalo probably was part of the con.

Edited by Harrison Bergeron
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Also, we still don’t really know why jimmy and Kim were fucking with Howard, right?

Maybe I'm missing or forgetting something, but I thought it was primarily driven by Howard and Chuck basically shafting Jimmy out of the Sandpiper case, after having built it and brought it to HHM.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Despite the entire suspension of disbelief one needs for the entire D-Day con, this part did not sit well with me. Maybe we're supposed to believe the drugs did it, but it seemed very un-Howard like to confront the judge in front of everyone. I would have thought he would have gone and gotten the pictures, presented them to the mediator and Cliff in private. That part I really had a hard time buying.

And I guess being a partner he's a little disconnected from the street, but I also would assume for such a personal matter he would have called up and spoken to the owner of the P.I. shop and enlisted a guy he could trust not just any random.

I feel bad for Howard. You could see on Kim's face when he talked about his marriage maybe she had some fleeting second thoughts. I bet he thought Lalo probably was part of the con.

I think the rationale for Howard's reaction was the same as the rationale for Chuck's reaction on the stand during Jimmy's disciplinary bar hearing.  The bit with Howard and the associate with the soda cans under Chuck's portrait was included for this reason.  There's no suspension of belief or disbelief whatsoever if you understand the basic traits of the Howard and Chuck characters.

Just like Chuck lost it with the "he doesn't deserve to be a lawyer!!" rant, Howard lost it trying to nail Jimmy, but he had to go through the judge, who was just a surrogate for Jimmy.  He just believed he was right and only after seeing the photos of frisbee-boy and Jimmy did he realize he'd been had.  And then afterward in his office, he STILL argued with Cliff that settling now was wrong.  

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think the rationale for Howard's reaction was the same as the rationale for Chuck's reaction on the stand during Jimmy's disciplinary bar hearing.  The bit with Howard and the associate with the soda cans under Chuck's portrait was included for this reason.  There's no suspension of belief or disbelief whatsoever if you understand the basic traits of the Howard and Chuck characters.
Just like Chuck lost it with the "he doesn't deserve to be a lawyer!!" rant, Howard lost it trying to nail Jimmy, but he had to go through the judge, who was just a surrogate for Jimmy.  He just believed he was right and only after seeing the photos of frisbee-boy and Jimmy did he realize he'd been had.  And then afterward in his office, he STILL argued with Cliff that settling now was wrong.  

Exactly. Jimmy broke Chuck, and he broke Howard.

Similar to the Chuck meltdown, both Chuck and Howard were advised to take a break to compose themselves which they declined. Either break would have saved them and ruined the con.

Agree with @Harrison Bergeron that you need to suspend disbelief with some of these cons. For Chuck they relied on Huell planting the battery and Chuck never reaching into his pocket. That made for good TV but a safer plan would have been to plant the battery on the chair.

54 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I bet he [Howard] thought Lalo probably was part of the con.

Good point. Normally someone would react to what looks like you're potential murder but Howard was done believing anything surrounding Jimmy.

One of the most entertaining elements of BCS is the depiction of years of blood, sweat and tears that Mike and especially Gus and his partners at Madrigal put into making that underground lab a reality.

And Walt burned the whole fucking thing to the ground within a couple of months of being hired, lol.

Puts Mike's evisceration of Walt in BB that sets Walt into a murderous rage into perspective.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Fletch said:

Can Gillian and co just do Breaking Bad spin offs the rest of their lives? Gimme Skyler going through some post Walt legal shit. Lalo origin. Christ let’s flash forward 20 years and watch Holly break bad. Fuck it. I trust these dudes to make it glorious and awesome 

you're crazy, give me Walt Jr, graduating hs, going to college, graduating collge, finding a job ..... !!!!!

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Haha 2

Just finished it up.

What an ending.  

As for Howard's body, I suspect this is going to be staged as a Howard suicide.  It's the only plausible thing I can come up with. Howard going missing or found murdered is going to bring up a lot of questions, but Howard's apparent suicide provides a lot of answers.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Similar to the Chuck meltdown, both Chuck and Howard were advised to take a break to compose themselves which they declined. Either break would have saved them and ruined the con.

Agree with @Harrison Bergeron that you need to suspend disbelief with some of these cons. For Chuck they relied on Huell planting the battery and Chuck never reaching into his pocket. That made for good TV but a safer plan would have been to plant the battery on the chair.

Good point. Normally someone would react to what looks like you're potential murder but Howard was done believing anything surrounding Jimmy.

That's what I was thinking also, and the light seems to come on ("I seem to be in the middle of something"), immediately before they go out permanently.  I feel bad for Howard, even if he was kind of a douche for most of the series.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Just finished it up.

What an ending.  

As for Howard's body, I suspect this is going to be staged as a Howard suicide.  It's the only plausible thing I can come up with. Howard going missing or found murdered is going to bring up a lot of questions, but Howard's apparent suicide provides a lot of answers.

Sure, but the ballistics won’t match unless Mike can get Lalo’s gun. 

5 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

…and he broke Brad.  Jimmy breaks everybody because he has addictive personality traits 

And he may have broken Kim last night…even though she has been an active participant, as have the others although unwittingly…I could easily foresee the next 6 episodes that she goes in a downward spiral ending with her andJimmy having to go separate ways as they are”not good for each other” , ending with them never being able to be together.. living tragically lonely lives.   or she ends up dead which is kind of expected…. These writers aint exactly happily ever after types..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Teddyballgame said:

And he may have broken Kim last night…even though she has been an active participant, as have the others although unwittingly…I could easily foresee the next 6 episodes that she goes in a downward spiral ending with her andJimmy having to go separate ways as they are”not good for each other” , ending with them never being able to be together.. living tragically lonely lives.   or she ends up dead which is kind of expected…. These writers aint exactly happily ever after types..

agree.  

All that glitters, is not gold.   

Saul is a criminal lawyer - in every sense of the word.

But he’s not yet become the soulless bastard that he is in BB.

I think Kim survives.

While I’ll agree that her death could lead him to the point of not caring anymore, I can’t think of any scenario where he would work for and defend her killers

However, her being alive would be all kinds of motivation for him to do so.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

Saul is a criminal lawyer - in every sense of the word.

But he’s not yet become the soulless bastard that he is in BB.

I think Kim survives.

While I’ll agree that her death could lead him to the point of not caring anymore, I can’t think of any scenario where he would work for and defend her killers

However, her being alive would be all kinds of motivation for him to do so.

Yeah that flash forward scene where he tells Francesca to meet at that pay phone at 3 or whatever on his birthday almost has to be her calling. I’m guessing she either goes dust filter Hoover Max or prison. She got a good look at vacuum dudes business card in that black market book at the vet. Would make sense for her to be the first to use it so Saul knows for a fact it’s legit come BB

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Was Howard just in the wrong place at the wrong time or was there some connection with him and Lalique that I missed?

Also, why were jimmy and Kim so afraid of him in the first place again? Do we know for sure why he’s there? I can’t remember how they left it with him.

The only intersection between the lawyer and drug plots was Saul, and later Kim when Jimmy took her into it.  Kim somehow had not even talked to Mike except to pay for parking.  That is why I say the cartel will be Kim's undoing.  

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

From the Mike and Kim meeting, did Mike imply that his surveillance of Jimmy and Kim was ending? I don't think so, but I can't recall. 

I could only see Jimmy and Kim getting out of that apt alive in 3 ways

1. They have something that has to be shown to Lalo which requires them to go with him. (I can't think of anything that fits this)
  2. Mike has his crew intervene somehow at the apartment

I am wondering if Saul&Kim are allowed to testify against Lalo because he is their client.  I think so since they are not revealing his testimony.  But I doubt anyone is concerned with the code of ethics at this point.

13 hours ago, 83Horn said:

Maybe I'm missing or forgetting something, but I thought it was primarily driven by Howard and Chuck basically shafting Jimmy out of the Sandpiper case, after having built it and brought it to HHM.

Except that Howard wanted to hire them back and they refused. 

14 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Also, we still don’t really know why jimmy and Kim were fucking with Howard, right?

The unkind interpretation is that the plot needed them to do it so that Lalo could kill him

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Sure, but the ballistics won’t match unless Mike can get Lalo’s gun. 

Right....which leads to this possibility.  Somehow, Kim (because Saul really isn't up to this) convinces Lalo to plant the gun and leave the apartment. Otherwise, this whole thing gets messy for Saul as well, and something has to happen to allow him to walk out of that apartment without legal repercussions; otherwise, there's no Breaking Bad Saul.

I lost sleep on this last night thinking of how the three of them leave the apartment, alive.  Unless, Mike's guys are still trailing, spot Lalo going into the apartment, and take him out and help plant the gun on Howard.  But taking Lalo out before he meets up with Gus doesn't make sense either, because those two are going to have a confrontation.

There's really not too many more directions this can go, with 6 episodes left.  All that's left to wrap up is Kim and Lalo's fates...and Gene.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Fletch said:

Yeah that flash forward scene where he tells Francesca to meet at that pay phone at 3 or whatever on his birthday almost has to be her calling. I’m guessing she either goes dust filter Hoover Max or prison. She got a good look at vacuum dudes business card in that black market book at the vet. Would make sense for her to be the first to use it so Saul knows for a fact it’s legit come BB

And with the settlement, she will have adequate funds for that decision.

10 hours ago, Teddyballgame said:

psh, what are you talking about?

6 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Except that Howard wanted to hire them back and they refused. 

Yeah, true, but by that point the damage was done, and they were so pissed, or at least Jimmy was, I don't think there was a snowball's chance in hell that they'd work for him under any circumstances.