Better Call Saul: Season 6

Lurch

Am I the only one that thought the old lady was going to kick the bucket at the mediation?  She was drinking non-caffeinated tea and Howard was touching her hand right after he handled the tainted photographs.  Obviously just a misdirection by the show runners, but I was sure she was toast.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Am I the only one that thought the old lady was going to kick the bucket at the mediation?  She was drinking non-caffeinated tea and Howard was touching her hand right after he handled the tainted photographs.  Obviously just a misdirection by the show runners, but I was sure she was toast.

That sir would have been a great twist of unforeseen collateral damage by everyone. Too bad they didn’t do that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

And I guess being a partner he's a little disconnected from the street, but I also would assume for such a personal matter he would have called up and spoken to the owner of the P.I. shop and enlisted a guy he could trust not just any random.

this is the type of shit that i try not to let drive me crazy when i'm watching good tv/movies.  a partner in a big law firm would have on-the-books investigators and off-the-books pi types that they would regularly use.  especially a guy like howard, who can be paranoid, had trouble with chuck, having marital issues, he would have someone he already knows and trusts.  no way this type of situation would've been handled by a cold call.

the problem with this type of hiccup, is that the viewer never saw that initial interaction, so we don't know much about the hiring process of the investigator.  assuming what we assume, the viewer likely thought "wow, this pi is probably a regular, so how could jimmy have gotten to him, how will he get these photos to howard?"  that's what i was thinking, and that's what the video guy suggested would be an interesting puzzle with a tough solve.

but no, it was an easy solve, because jimmy had cooked those books well in advance.

the part that really bothers me about the jimmy/howard feud is that howard did about the nicest thing he could've done for jimmy - he took the blame for jimmy never getting offered a job at hhm, all to protect the tenuous and fragile relationship between chuck and jimmy.  howard actually liked jimmy the person, admired his hustle, then was forced to take the fall.  after it was discovered, he didn't bitch and complain, he just carried on.

the point of all of this is that walt was not a good guy, at least once on his journey.  and neither is jimmy.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 5/24/2022 at 8:36 AM, hookem17 said:

I get that. But was Howard, under the influence of the topical drug and shocked at a mediator being crooked, really going to recall whether the mediator had a broken arm in the photos. 

I think it has to do with Saul. He knows that Saul is messing with him and it's going to escalate, so he's on alert for anything involving Saul. The fake pictures have Saul in them, so he's going to be immediately suspicious of the pictures. Howard is a sharp guy, so he might spot the missing cast later and put it together. Howard may/may not remember the pictures lacking the cast, but if there are enough doubts about the picture, he may just have his assistant get the pictures from his desk without making a big scene.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/24/2022 at 12:08 AM, Fletch said:

Can Gillian and co just do Breaking Bad spin offs the rest of their lives? Gimme Skyler going through some post Walt legal shit. Lalo origin. Christ let’s flash forward 20 years and watch Holly break bad. Fuck it. I trust these dudes to make it glorious and awesome 

I will take the origin story of Gus Fring for $100 Alex.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

In Breaking Bad Jimmy doesn't know that Lalo and Nacho are dead.  When Walt and Jessie kidnap him and take him out to the desert he asks them if Lalo or Ignacio sent them.  Maybe Lalo gets away.

We might already be in the Breaking Bad timeline.  Breaking Bad's timeline was two years.  Walt was introduced to the underground lab about half way in (Season 3 Episode 6).  The lab seems to be finished or close to finished so those events of Walt being reintroduced to Jessie could be occurring simultaneously. That would put us just a year from Jimmy / Saul moving to Omaha.

We know that Kim is from Nebraska.  Perhaps she is the one looking for Gene at the end.  Maybe Kim realizes what she let Saul get her into and exacts some type of revenge.

But it could be Lalo.

1 hour ago, TexasGary said:

In Breaking Bad Jimmy doesn't know that Lalo and Nacho are dead.  When Walt and Jessie kidnap him and take him out to the desert he asks them if Lalo or Ignacio sent them.  Maybe Lalo gets away.

We might already be in the Breaking Bad timeline.  Breaking Bad's timeline was two years.  Walt was introduced to the underground lab about half way in (Season 3 Episode 6).  The lab seems to be finished or close to finished so those events of Walt being reintroduced to Jessie could be occurring simultaneously. That would put us just a year from Jimmy / Saul moving to Omaha.

We know that Kim is from Nebraska.  Perhaps she is the one looking for Gene at the end.  Maybe Kim realizes what she let Saul get her into and exacts some type of revenge.

But it could be Lalo.

I believe Better Call Saul is in 2004-05 currently, and Breaking Bad is 2008, so we're still 3+ years out from Walt's first cook.

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

this is the type of shit that i try not to let drive me crazy when i'm watching good tv/movies.  a partner in a big law firm would have on-the-books investigators and off-the-books pi types that they would regularly use.  especially a guy like howard, who can be paranoid, had trouble with chuck, having marital issues, he would have someone he already knows and trusts.  no way this type of situation would've been handled by a cold call.

the problem with this type of hiccup, is that the viewer never saw that initial interaction, so we don't know much about the hiring process of the investigator.  assuming what we assume, the viewer likely thought "wow, this pi is probably a regular, so how could jimmy have gotten to him, how will he get these photos to howard?"  that's what i was thinking, and that's what the video guy suggested would be an interesting puzzle with a tough solve.

but no, it was an easy solve, because jimmy had cooked those books well in advance.

the part that really bothers me about the jimmy/howard feud is that howard did about the nicest thing he could've done for jimmy - he took the blame for jimmy never getting offered a job at hhm, all to protect the tenuous and fragile relationship between chuck and jimmy.  howard actually liked jimmy the person, admired his hustle, then was forced to take the fall.  after it was discovered, he didn't bitch and complain, he just carried on.

the point of all of this is that walt was not a good guy, at least once on his journey.  and neither is jimmy.

Listen, I don't want to burst your bubble, but PIs aren't as ubiquitous in the legal profession as you probably think. And a white shoe law firm? They have little to no use for one on most cases. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, hornian said:

Listen, I don't want to burst your bubble, but PIs aren't as ubiquitous in the legal profession as you probably think. And a white shoe law firm? They have little to no use for one on most cases. 

my bubble is just fine.  lawyers don't use investigators?  i get that a white shoe firm might not have pi's at the ready, i just feel like they went out of their way to turn howard into a mark who's stupid enough to take the bait but smart enough to know exactly what happened right as it happened.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I think the story of Kim working thru college as a stripper and massage girl would be intriguing.

I would also like a special of Kim shopping for her yoga pants

How about Jane getting arrested for heroin possession, Kim represents her and gets her off. Then they deal with Janes legal charges 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/24/2022 at 11:47 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Howard was talking for all of us by running through all of the potential reasons, just before Lalo showed up.

Kind of like how Cliff was apologizing for all of the weaknesses in the HHM plot. 

A couple more,

- You bribe the judge, not a mediator because the latter doesn't make rulings.

- REgardless, Howard tells him 'your name is on the ledger' in private. 

- Nothing that happened at the mediation is admissible in a trial.  Even if Howard went nutso they can just use other lawyers at the trial.  Early on Howard bragged that he never even goes to court. 

- The residents get to decide whether they take the lower offer or not.  They could have forced the lower settlement without drugged pictures or could still dig in for more money. 

7 hours ago, Fletch said:

How about Jane getting arrested for heroin possession, Kim represents her and gets her off. Then they deal with Janes legal charges 

Down.  Especially if we get to see Jane's death scene again.  I hated that junkie bitch.

11 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

lawyers don't use investigators? 

I would guess family law attorneys and personal injury defense attorneys use private investigators most.  I know one and referred something to her recently, but it happens very little in my practice.  I use forensic investigators to follow money trials and IT forensic investigators to follow digital trails much more often.

My practice is not unlike Howard’s and I have several PI’s that I would go to.  No way he would do a cold call.  If nothing else, someone at HHM would have a dependable PI to recommend.  No matter though, it’s still fun TV.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HouTex said:

My practice is not unlike Howard’s and I have several PI’s that I would go to.  No way he would do a cold call.  If nothing else, someone at HHM would have a dependable PI to recommend.  No matter though, it’s still fun TV.  

Howard told Cliff that Jimmy called HHM pretending to be from the investigator company and had the phone number switched. 

2 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

Howard told Cliff that Jimmy called HHM pretending to be from the investigator company and had the phone number switched. 

I recall that.  Switching a phone number wouldn’t work because the lawyer knows the PI and he wouldn’t do anything without actually talking to his long time trusted PI. 

7 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I recall that.  Switching a phone number wouldn’t work because the lawyer knows the PI and he wouldn’t do anything without actually talking to his long time trusted PI. 

Would the lead partner at a large firm work regularly with a specific PI or would it be someone lower? 

I would guess family law attorneys and personal injury defense attorneys use private investigators most.  I know one and referred something to her recently, but it happens very little in my practice.  I use forensic investigators to follow money trials and IT forensic investigators to follow digital trails much more often.

Isn’t a forensic accountant or IT guy just modern era gumshoes?

The lawyers I know who do criminal defense usually have a PI in house, or on retainer. Or at least one or two already vetted that they use when needed. Same for the divorce guys. Don’t know any personal injury guys. I would expect the Texas Hammer to have one or two.

5 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

Would the lead partner at a large firm work regularly with a specific PI or would it be someone lower? 

My PIs are solos and I talk to them and no one else.  Been doing that for 30+ years.  While I’m not requesting anything illegal, when I’m using a PI it’s for something very sensitive and secretive.  I also don’t push the discussions down to an associate unless the associate and the PI are well connected.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, HouTex said:

My PIs are solos and I talk to them and no one else.  Been doing that for 30+ years.  While I’m not requesting anything illegal, when I’m using a PI it’s for something very sensitive and secretive.  I also don’t push the discussions down to an associate unless the associate and the PI are well connected.  

That makes sense.

Howard said HHM used a detective agency. Not sure how common that is or how large one would be. Especially in ALBQ. 

Yeah that flash forward scene where he tells Francesca to meet at that pay phone at 3 or whatever on his birthday almost has to be her calling. I’m guessing she either goes dust filter Hoover Max or prison. She got a good look at vacuum dudes business card in that black market book at the vet. Would make sense for her to be the first to use it so Saul knows for a fact it’s legit come BB
Yeah, in BB didn't Saul mention that he used vacuum guy before?
  • Like 1

Obviously at some point Saul becomes a client of the vacuum repair guy but I wonder how they're going to explain that.  There have to be some steps to get there from a starting point of "hey, it's weird this dirty cartel vet has this business card in his black book."  It's not like Jimmy can just call the number and ask what extra-legal services they provide.

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

Obviously at some point Saul becomes a client of the vacuum repair guy but I wonder how they're going to explain that.  There have to be some steps to get there from a starting point of "hey, it's weird this dirty cartel vet has this business card in his black book."  It's not like Jimmy can just call the number and ask what extra-legal services they provide.

I'm guessing Saul buys the book and the vet makes intros for him.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/17/2022 at 11:23 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

As many have pointed out, the phone call Jimmy insists Francesca be present for could be Kim calling for prison. I’m not sure on prison phone rules, but I could see her and Jimmy having an arranged call every week/month. 

It will be interesting to see how how Jimmy and Kim get out of the conversation with Lalo (after him shooting Howard) and the repercussions from him, but I think Kim isn't in prison, instead using the vacuum cleaner's (Ed the disappearer) number and she gets a new identity like Jimmy does later. She calls him once a year, on his birthday. 

On 5/18/2022 at 12:14 AM, Harrison Bergeron said:

Isn't once / year at 3 pm on his birthday?

Yes. November 12th.

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
On 5/25/2022 at 3:11 AM, Fletch said:
Yeah that flash forward scene where he tells Francesca to meet at that pay phone at 3 or whatever on his birthday almost has to be her calling. I’m guessing she either goes dust filter Hoover Max or prison. She got a good look at vacuum dudes business card in that black market book at the vet. Would make sense for her to be the first to use it so Saul knows for a fact it’s legit come BB

Yeah, in BB didn't Saul mention that he used vacuum guy before?

Didn't see your post before posting above, but I think (?) maybe Saul had used Ed's services before for getting Kim out of town and out of reach of Lalo.

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

agreed.  my initial point was also that this seemed kind of a sensitive matter - one that howard wouldn't really want his colleagues knowing about.  hey, you know the man on the wall on the conference room?  i'm hiring a guy to tail his little brother.  why?  oh, i think he's up to some shit, mostly pranks and shenanigans.  yeah, that's not happening.  he would only go to someone he had history with, and could talk to completely off the record/off the books.

24 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

It will be interesting to see how how Jimmy and Kim get out of the conversation with Lalo (after him shooting Howard)

these types of encounters end with a call to action (or more murders).  presumably nobody else is getting dead, so it's likely that lalo will ask (demand) something of them.  his only goal right now is to get fring, so i would have to assume he's going to try to get jimmy to help him get gus/mike out in the open so that he can take a shot.  he knows how careful the chicken man is.

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Well I don't suppose we'll be seeing him since Robert Forster has passed, but I guess they could cobble together some old footage. 

Could be just a phone call... In BB, they never showed him until the Granite State episode, Jimmy in the shop and then with Walt. Most screen time he got was in El Camino with his handling of Jessie.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Well I don't suppose we'll be seeing him since Robert Forster has passed, but I guess they could cobble together some old footage. 

They could probably pull off Kim on the phone saying the key words then her just saying something like “Ok. 1 hour? Got it.” Van pulls up and there ya go. She calls Jimmy on his birthday at 3 confirming it works. We’ve seen the process with Walt, Saul then Jesse in El Camino. Don’t need to see it again 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Could be just a phone call... In BB, they never showed him until the Granite State episode, Jimmy in the shop and then with Walt. Most screen time he got was in El Camino with his handling of Jessie.

Just now, Fletch said:

They could probably pull off Kim on the phone saying the key words then her just saying something like “Ok. 1 hour? Got it.” Van pulls up and there ya go. She calls Jimmy on his birthday at 3 confirming it works. We’ve seen the process with Walt, Saul then Jesse in El Camino. Don’t need to see it again 

Great minds 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

As much as he was referenced in Breaking Bad, he was only on-screen in one episode and that was the one when Saul and Walt use his services at the end of the series. He wasn’t even on-screen when Jesse initially called him before he realized Walt had poisoned Brock and left to beat up Saul.

4 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

As much as he was referenced in Breaking Bad, he was only on-screen in one episode and that was the one when Saul and Walt use his services at the end of the series. He wasn’t even on-screen when Jesse initially called him before he realized Walt had poisoned Brock and left to beat up Saul.

jeff bridges fgc GIF

(😂 see #687)

• Haha 1

I might be disappointed if Kim goes the vacuum repair route.  We've seen that ending a couple of times already.  But I'm sure they'll find a slight spin on it and make it great if so. It could still resolve in the Gene timeframe if she does "disappear" for a while.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, HouTex said:

A big firm would work with/against lots of insurance cos who would know the network. 

in re: Kim's Escape.  I don't see the point of making her from Omaha and introducing her to the coded book leading to the vacume route if she is not going down that path.