Better Call Saul: Season 6

Lurch

Man, watched ep 10 of season 6 last night ("Nippy").  I swear I thought I missed an episode as it went from Kim leaving Jimmy and him embracing the Saul Goodman character wholeheartedly to flash forward to him being Gene in Omaha without any bridge to there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/1/2022 at 1:57 PM, UTCzech III said:

Bad thing about shows going on for years is you forget so much stuff from earlier seasons.  Holy fuck, this scene is killer.  What a great job by McKean.

A masterful performance from McKean; robbed of an Emmy. BCS and such an incredible cast: Mando, McKean, Seahorn, Fabian, Banks, Odenkirk, and the others I'm probably forgetting at the moment... they all delivered incredible performances.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 9/9/2022 at 7:57 AM, Dutch said:

A masterful performance from McKean; robbed of an Emmy. BCS and such an incredible cast: Mando, McKean, Seahorn, Fabian, Banks, Odenkirk, and the others I'm probably forgetting at the moment... they all delivered incredible performances.

i really felt like sean norris got the shaft when it came to recognition via award nominations for his work on BB. similar to aaron paul playing pinkman, he starts off as a pretty one-note actor/chatacter, but ends up putting up some of the best individual performances of the entire series. as for McKean, he was brilliant from day one, and the fact the he was snubbed from any awards (was ever even nominated?) is just a testament to what a joke most major awards are. performance wise, nobody on BCS was better. 

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

That’s the shit of these things. Both Garner and Rhea deserved one. Each had some powerful scenes.

I enjoyed both series, and both characters. That being said, Ruth Langmore was a one-note character, whereas Kim's developmental arc was much more significant.

Hell, the scene on the shuttle bus exhibited a greater range of emotion and humanity within a little over a minute than we saw in entire seasons of Ozark.

The Emmys people don't know shit about fuck.  

Rhea deserved it, but I get it.  An emmy/oscar for acting should be just for the actor's work in a silo, but I think it's like an MVP award in baseball...it should also take into account "the team."  If it's based on solo monologues, then state it so.  Otherwise, an actor's work in a production should take (into small measure) account how that person plays off of others in scenes, and how they contribute to the overall quality of the show/film.  Rhea's scenes change the trajectory of the main character, several secondary characters, and the complete arc of a brilliant show.  Ozark was just a patchwork of hurried scenes this past season trying to fill a contractual obligation to a streaming service.  Garner did great but she didn't "change the show" like Rhea did.  

i'm hoping she wins next year for this final season back-half.  She was so amazing the last few episodes that nobody even realized Fring, Mike, and the Salamancas weren't even mentioned.  And that's what the show was originally sold as.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/22/23367466/apple-tv-plus-untitled-vince-gilligan-project-breaking-bad-better-call-saul

Apple has picked up the next show from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul creator Vince Gilligan. The two-season Apple TV Plus show, which Apple currently calls the “Untitled Vince Gilligan Project,” will star Rhea Seehorn, who was nominated for an Emmy for playing attorney Kim Wexler in Better Call Saul.

Apple isn’t revealing much about the series just yet, but Gilligan did share a tiny hint of what we can expect. “After fifteen years, I figured it was time to take a break from writing antiheroes… and who’s more heroic than the brilliant Rhea Seehorn?” Gilligan said in a statement. “It’s long past time she had her own show, and I feel lucky to get to work on it with her.” Gilligan will be serving as showrunner and executive producer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 2

21 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Apple isn’t revealing much about the series just yet, but Gilligan did share a tiny hint of what we can expect. “After fifteen years, I figured it was time to take a break from writing antiheroes… and who’s more heroic than the brilliant Rhea Seehorn?” Gilligan said in a statement. “It’s long past time she had her own show, and I feel lucky to get to work on it with her.” Gilligan will be serving as showrunner and executive producer.

Gillian's quotes really doesn't make it sound very good.  We don't need another hero ~ Tina Turner

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've never figured out how to effectively search for an old thread so I can't find the Breaking Bad thread.  I'm sure it's a me problem.  Anyway, I'm just about finished with a rewatch of BB and I'm curious if anyone else had this "on second thought" reaction.  Skyler is not the unbearable bitch I thought she was the first time through.  Walter is a total piece of shit and any bitchy reaction she had was warranted.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

I've never figured out how to effectively search for an old thread so I can't find the Breaking Bad thread.  I'm sure it's a me problem.  Anyway, I'm just about finished with a rewatch of BB and I'm curious if anyone else had this "on second thought" reaction.  Skyler is not the unbearable bitch I thought she was the first time through.  Walter is a total piece of shit and any bitchy reaction she had was warranted.  

I completely agree.

She was a little self centered and controlling but not in a mean-spirited way.  Considering what got dumped on her (Hey, your husband/father of your kids has cancer, but that will actually be way down the 'what the fuck?' list as you navigate the next couple of years.  Buckle up, honey).

I've had a similar experience during my most recent re-watch of the Sopranos.  I discovered I liked Tony significantly less--and sometimes felt completely disgusted by him--while my empathy for Carmela grew quite a bit.  Notwithstanding the fact that she knowingly stayed in a relationship with a murderer/thief/narcissist because she loved the mansion on the hill and all her toys, she had a good heart.

But I never really got the Skylar/Carmela hate to begin with.  Skylar always seemed to me to be acting the way you'd expect someone to when confronted with what she had to deal with.

The one, truly evil cunt in that series was obviously Gale Boetticher.

27 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

We women welcome y’all to the “No Shit Skylar Isn’t A Supportive Wife!” club!

And don’t forget she had a disabled son and was pregnant when all that shit got dumped on her.

Skylar always made me think of Monica Vitti, which made me feel kinda warm and fuzzy, which I liked. I was compelled to sympathize with Skylar and all of the predicaments Walt's bizarre schemes put her in.

MonicaVittiFansClub on Twitter | Italian beauty, Women smoking, Beauty

In defense of the Skylar haters, the very first episode we are introduced to her she's giving Walter a half hearted handie for his 50th birthday while also surfing the web for work.  For a bunch of middle aged men that have been married at least once (i.e. probably the majority of this board) that's like introducing a person as a baby seal clubber then expecting us to like them.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

One of the most brilliant parts about that show is the first time through you root for the egomaniacal bad guy and hate all of the good people and it usually is a 180 the second time.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ Absolutely not... Just don't be shocked on your bday when the only part of our anatomy that touches your hoohah is a lonesome, non enthusiastic finger. #Married/ExpectingFatherProblems/IHopeYou'reNotReadingThisAndILoveYou

Getting back on topic, the wife (no pics) and I just rewatched both BB and BCS on Netflix. Why the fuck has season 6 not been uploaded and why the fuck is (to my understanding) the only streaming option PPV on Prime? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and would (possibly, but not likely) result in a half hearted HJ or at least 5% more awareness of bed space tonight.