Better Call Saul: Season 6

Lurch

57 minutes ago, zman13 said:

I'm thinking they are hired to play the typical suburban couple. They are a front to cover for the surveillance activity. 

At the same time, they are a typical suburban couple, so they spend their time doing puzzles and bike rides. 

Gus is very particular about his people. He wants a couple that will blend in to the neighborhood by being themselves. He doesn't want a couple that has to "act" to fit in. 

That makes sense, as well.  And that kind of pre-planning for contingencies like that would certainly be very Gus.

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

That makes sense, as well.  And that kind of pre-planning for contingencies like that would certainly be very Gus.

Agreed. Both seem plausible. I was just trying to glean whether they were hired by Gus or he gave them a ton of money to be his front house ... would have to be an awful lot of money to "hey, pretend a cartel lieutenant lives here just in case someone wants to kill him." But to your point, the obvious and intentional banter and concern about the HOA makes me lean toward they're more real than hired actors, but who knows ... I was trying to contemplate how Gus got that tunnel built ...

I wonder if they’ll ever explain the neighbors. My guess: They’re actually Gus’ neighbors, not actors. If they’ve lived in the neighborhood for years, this would arouse much less suspicion. Gus trusted them more than some hired help, and offered to pay their mortgage/debts off in exchange for use of their house. 

The whole thing is a little too Bond villain for me. Kind of silly. Gould/Gilligan painstakingly explained the construction of the underground lab which made it more plausible. 

I feel bad for Howard. He really doesn’t deserve what Kim and Saul are doing to him. I still think the situation is gonna escalate way too much and Howard is gonna end up being killed with Kim being held responsible. I’m starting to really wonder if the Lalo storyline doesn’t get wrapped up until Breaking Bad timeline. I think we’re only two episodes away from the end of the first half of this season which is when it would make the most sense for them to make a time jump to the Breaking Bad timeline, especially if we’re gonna have a couple of Gene-centric episodes at the end too. It’s gonna be interesting to see how they thread the needle of tying up all the loose ends without making it feel rushed.

• Hook 'Em 1

I feel bad for Howard. He really doesn’t deserve what Kim and Saul are doing to him. I still think the situation is gonna escalate way too much and Howard is gonna end up being killed with Kim being held responsible. I’m starting to really wonder if the Lalo storyline doesn’t get wrapped up until Breaking Bad timeline. I think we’re only two episodes away from the end of the first half of this season which is when it would make the most sense for them to make a time jump to the Breaking Bad timeline, especially if we’re gonna have a couple of Gene-centric episodes at the end too. It’s gonna be interesting to see how they thread the needle of tying up all the loose ends without making it feel rushed.

Why does she have such a hard on for him again?

57 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I wonder if they’ll ever explain the neighbors. My guess: They’re actually Gus’ neighbors, not actors. If they’ve lived in the neighborhood for years, this would arouse much less suspicion. Gus trusted them more than some hired help, and offered to pay their mortgage/debts off in exchange for use of their house. 

The whole thing is a little too Bond villain for me. Kind of silly. Gould/Gilligan painstakingly explained the construction of the underground lab which made it more plausible. 

Wonder if the Germans also built the Fring Tunnel. 

I mean, I can't see Gus using local talent to construct something underneath a city street.

23 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Why does she have such a hard on for him again?

Howard implied Chuck’s death was a suicide in front of Jimmy, and tried to pass a hurtful letter from Chuck to Jimmy. I believe Howard also declined a lump sum settlement for Sandpiper. It would be have life changing money for Kim/Jimmy, but probably a boat payment for Howard. 

The guy is definitely an asshole, but they shouldn’t be committing criminal acts to frame him. 

51 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Lalo's gotta die at some point or there's a continuity error.  If Gus knows Lalo is alive now, then he has to know he's dead when he tells Hector the Salamanca line ends with him.

24 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I mean, I can't see Gus using local talent to construct something underneath a city street.

I mean, the underground top secret lab was also kind of silly. 99% of the meth labs in Mexico are outdoors, concealed under camo netting. 

The whole scientific, almost pharmaceutical, sterile meth labs is a uniquely Breaking Bad thing. 

22 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Lalo's gotta die at some point or there's a continuity error.  If Gus knows Lalo is alive now, then he has to know he's dead when he tells Hector the Salamanca line ends with him.

I mean, theoretically it could happen between when Saul is kidnapped by Walt and Jesse and he thinks Lalo is still alive and when Gus kills the cartel then tells Hector that the Salamanca name dies with him.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I mean, the underground top secret lab was also kind of silly. 99% of the meth labs in Mexico are outdoors, concealed under camo netting. 

The whole scientific, almost pharmaceutical, sterile meth labs is a uniquely Breaking Bad thing. 

And totally badbass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

That's eating me ... he goes to painstaking efforts to build a big hole in a relatively isolated area but somehow has a tunnel in the middle of a city neighborhood? They go to so much detail about some things, this seems an odd gloss-over.

I too am in the "Team Howard" camp. He seems like a decent guy and has never acted inappropriately toward Jimmy or Kim. He a little douche-y but probably no more than every attorney successful on this board. Despite all of Jimmy's silliness, he's generally polite and cordial to him. Not to go psycho-analyze, but Jimmy seems to always blame someone else for his mistakes, and Howard carries all of his Chuck guilt.

surely Howard will have a PI or three trailing Jimmy at this point. he only really has one enemy, and that guy happens to be the only guy who would go to the trouble to pull all of these kooky hijinks. surely Howard will realize that Jimmy is behind all of this by the next episode. 

Edited by shadow_operative

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

surely Howard will have a PI or three trailing Jimmy at this point. he only really has one enemy, and that guy happens to be the only guy who would go to the trouble to pull all of these kooky hijinks. surely Howard will realize that Jimmy is behind all of this by the next episode. 

Mike told her not to pay attention to his guys if she sees them following her and to just go about her business. I could see a situation where Howard has his PI follow her, she assumes it’s one of Mike’s guys, and proceeds to do some of her shady shit she’s been up to in order to dirty Howard’s rep which would then be used as evidence of her plot to take down Howard.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

That's eating me ... he goes to painstaking efforts to build a big hole in a relatively isolated area but somehow has a tunnel in the middle of a city neighborhood? They go to so much detail about some things, this seems an odd gloss-over.

I think, with all we know about Gus, we are supposed to assume that Gus went to painstaking efforts to have the elaborate tunnel built between his house and the neighbor's house.  He's a fastidious person with everything - a tidy house, an immaculate restaurant, always handy handkerchiefs, and overly engineered bunkers.

20 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I too am in the "Team Howard" camp. He seems like a decent guy and has never acted inappropriately toward Jimmy or Kim. He a little douche-y but probably no more than every attorney successful on this board. Despite all of Jimmy's silliness, he's generally polite and cordial to him. Not to go psycho-analyze, but Jimmy seems to always blame someone else for his mistakes, and Howard carries all of his Chuck guilt.

This . . . well except for the douche-y board attorneys part.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Random, but I found it odd that Gus wore a clip-on tie with his work clothes.  Uniform or not, as fastidious and thorough as Gus is, I'd like to think he would wear a real tie.

Easy to change out if he gets grease or "Gus Sauce" (don't be dirty perverts) on his tie.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Random, but I found it odd that Gus wore a clip-on tie with his work clothes.  Uniform or not, as fastidious and thorough as Gus is, I'd like to think he would wear a real tie.

Gus plays every part to perfection.

His role as the chicken man calls for a clip on.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I’ve been rewatching Breaking Bad the last couple of weeks and I noticed he was wearing a clip-on tie in Face-Off too when he changed outfits to go confront Hector

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

what is kim setting up with Cliff?  at first I thought her meeting with him was just simply so Cliff could see Howard's car, but it seems like they're trying to set up something with Cliff too...

I think she explains to Jimmy later that she was just floating an idea, pro bono or reduced fee legal foundation or something, to kill time.  Surprising to her, Cliff seamed interested.  I think she now has a in to a legitimate avenue to help the types of clients she wants to serve.  I suspect that this legit enterprise will be blown up when the Howard thing blows up.  She'll probably continue to develop the thing with Cliff and his buddies and then her and Jimmy will have screwed it all up.  

• Like 1

The long closeup shot of Kim’s ponytail at the beginning…the director of this episode (Rhea Seahorn) knows how many of us degenerates think quite often about pulling that ponytail while drilling her from behind and it turns her on a little.

Thought I was alone on TeamHoward while watching last night’s ep. Yes, he’s a douchebag lawyer driving a Jaaaaaaaaaag, but, besides Surly lawdogs, what lawyer isn’t? Kim’s vendetta (imho Jimmy’s over it and is going along because #undefeated and all) to ruin him seems a bit extreme.

Gus/Mike/Nacho/Cartel storylines >>>> “Kimmy” storyline at this point. 

It's a TV show. Acknowledged. But while I find the Howard stuff entertaining and funny, it's really fucking stupid. How do they think they're not going to get caught? Howard already called Jimmy out on the bowling ball through windshield and the hooker at the country club. He knows it's him. All it takes is a 90 second conversation between Cliff and Howard and the perps are beyond obvious. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

It's a TV show. Acknowledged. But while I find the Howard stuff entertaining and funny, it's really fucking stupid. How do they think they're not going to get caught? Howard already called Jimmy out on the bowling ball through windshield and the hooker at the country club. He knows it's him. All it takes is a 90 second conversation between Cliff and Howard and the perps are beyond obvious. 

Not to mention that Jimmy's dumb ass didn't wear gloves when he stole Howard's car.  

On 5/3/2022 at 2:34 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

That's why Walt's shit is top notch

Yeah, meth is so addictive that tweekers don’t give a shit about the quality. Walt’s blue crystal or some stuff made in a tent in Sinaloa. They don’t care, just want meth. I get it. Creative license, etc…

I just wouldn’t hold Breaking Bad up as some accurate portrayal of the drug game. 

In the real world the cartel kills Gus decades ago, and they burn Jesse and Walt alive in a barrel. 

37 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah, meth is so addictive that tweekers don’t give a shit about the quality. Walt’s blue crystal or some stuff made in a tent in Sinaloa. They don’t care, just want meth. I get it. Creative license, etc…

I just wouldn’t hold Breaking Bad up as some accurate portrayal of the drug game. 

In the real world the cartel kills Gus decades ago, and they burn Jesse and Walt alive in a barrel. 

Addicts care a great deal about quality of the product and given a choice, will choose the best available every time.

The best thing that can happen to a heroin dealer in a given area is for someone to OD on his junk.  Smackheads will show up from far and wide wanting what is obviously a more potent product.

To your point, it depends of course, on what options the user has in a given territory, but Gus' distribution territory ranged far and wide.  Its reputation for purity would guarantee its dominance of the market.

On 5/2/2022 at 9:04 PM, Radical Larry said:

Soooge and Wendy showed up. Also, one of the dudes following Kim was Dollar Tree NoHo Hank.

Someone in an NCAA pool I was in this year had a team named NoHo Frank Martin. 

On 5/1/2022 at 9:41 PM, Fudbelty said:

Probably enough NORM in there to make Chernobyl blush.

What is NORM? I tried looking it up and ended up at the following link and wound up feeling even dumber. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_residue_isomorphism_theorem

On 5/5/2022 at 8:24 AM, Trey3216 said:

Not to mention that Jimmy's dumb ass didn't wear gloves when he stole Howard's car.  

The song playing on the radio. At least rewind the tape back to the point where it started when you stole the car.