Buck's Barbeque Co.

ChampKind

19 hours ago, utee94 said:

Valentina's might as well be in Buda, never get down there.

I've actually had the smoked burger at Brotherton's, thanks for the reminder.  Also the brisket banh mi which was great.  Need to get back there soon.

If you think John Brotherton invented the brisket bahn mi, you've got another thing coming.

I was doing smoked burgers at Pappa Charlies 5 years ago. So yes, I got permission

Funny thing about having been around for a minute. Folks think they’re inventing shit that was already invented. And not saying I invented the smoked burger. More a general comment

Guy’s in Houston was doing smoked burgers a decade ago.

http://robbwalsh.com/2010/05/national-spotlight-on-bbq-burgers-at-guys/
  • Like 1

Any bbq on the menu for tomorrow? Will be stopping by for lunch.

Unfortunately not. Dealing with some redtape that is going to delay the addition of smoked meats. I’m working on a stop-gap solution but don’t currently have the ability to smoke meats.

6 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Let’s just say that like with most regulatory/legal matters, rules can be interpreted to mean different things by different people.

That sucks. Right after my friend bought Stanley's, the City helpfully jumped in and condemned the old 1950s brick pits.  One of his stop gap measures was gas fired rotisseries, which he rigged to take smoke from an external source.  The result was #1 ribs with Texas Monthly a few years later.  

So just invent something wacky, and it'll all work out.

Good luck. 

21 hours ago, ChampKind said:

No Gassers At All. Looking at wood fired cabinets for inside the kitchen

I get that.  The story was meant to be an aside, but in his situation, his wood fired pits were condemned.  He was short on money and got the gas fired rotisseries as a stop gap measure to keep cooking.  He later rigged them up to take wood smoke externally and hit on something that got him some accolades/recognition.  Despite the fact that everything else in that place is cooked on offsets with pecan wood, the ribs still get done with the old stop gap, rigged up rotisseries that basically saved the place. 

Edited by dcbc

On 6/15/2019 at 6:12 PM, dcbc said:

I get that.  The story was meant to be an aside, but in his situation, his wood fired pits were condemned.  He was short on money and got the gas fired rotisseries as a stop gap measure to keep cooking.  He later rigged them up to take wood smoke externally and hit on something that got him some accolades/recognition.  Despite the fact that everything else in that place is cooked on offsets with pecan wood, the ribs still get done with the old stop gap, rigged up rotisseries that basically saved the place. 

Was not casting aspersions. You can cook some damn fine que on a gasser. I won't use one for my product, but they can work just fine. And I completely understand the stop-gap. That's where I am now. The red tape (that has never been applied to a single bbq joint in Galveston County) is going to force me to put a smoker in my kitchen for the short term.

1 hour ago, LW Goatman said:

Can you get this shit fixed by July when the family and I will be down there? I've been waiting for Bucks for a long time. Also, will bbq be on the breakfast menu? I don't need anything fancy, just some brisket, etc.

Well, now, what do you boys want for breakfast.  Barbeque?  Okay, chili...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Was not casting aspersions. You can cook some damn fine que on a gasser. I won't use one for my product, but they can work just fine. And I completely understand the stop-gap. That's where I am now. The red tape (that has never been applied to a single bbq joint in Galveston County) is going to force me to put a smoker in my kitchen for the short term.

That sucks for sure.  Hope you can push through and get to feeding people.

18 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Bureaucratic bullshit at its finest right there. Must have twerked someone off that you bought the place, even keeping with its history.

Sounds like the kind of stunt old people with nothing better to do would pull. 

What are the names of the people holding your shit up?  Does shag need to go shag mafia on some mf's?  Just kidding.  Maybe not.  No but seriously. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Halfway down Page Two?

I think somebody is spending too much time servicing his pits and young bride!!

How about an update Champ? How's it going down there? (And just to be clear, I'm talking about the restaurant, not the wife.)

😉

44 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

We’re still rocking and rolling down here. Just not with smoked meats. I pushed out some pork belly and pulled pork yesterday for a private party. And rolled this out as a brunch special today.

That looks pretty dadgum good.