Futarama Season 8. 20 Episodes, 2023, Hulu.

atomheartbevo

Fry, Leela and Bender are set for more 31st century adventures. After months of negotiations, Hulu has finalized deals for 20 new episodes of Matt Groening and David X. Cohen’s cult animated sci-fi comedy Futurama to premiere in 2023 on the streamer. In addition to Groening and Cohen, set to come back is the majority of the series’ voice cast, including Billy West, Katey Sagal, Tress MacNeille, Maurice LaMarche, Lauren Tom, Phil LaMarr and David Herman.

Missing from the list is one of the three lead voice actors, John DiMaggio, who voices foul-mouthed robot Bender among half a dozen characters. The role is currently being recast ahead of the first table read on Monday. The decision was made after DiMaggio’s negotiations with Futurama studio 20th Television Animation came to a standstill though there is a desire on both sides to have him rejoin the cast and reprise his role.

Can't blame DiMaggio for wanting to get paid, since he's such a major part of it, but hoping this doesn't get ridiculous.

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

True. I should have said animated shows. 

Some of those aged poorly.

I think they could pull off Futurama though, because it is animated.  It's not a bunch of actors and writers that took a break/etc.

20 episodes is a lot though, but I would assume they had plenty of storylines that they never got to.  I've watched some of the writers' room stuff on some of the other animated shows, and they have a lot of material that they come up with that they never get to for time reasons.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Some of those aged poorly.

I think they could pull off Futurama though, because it is animated.  It's not a bunch of actors and writers that took a break/etc.

20 episodes is a lot though, but I would assume they had plenty of storylines that they never got to.  I've watched some of the writers' room stuff on some of the other animated shows, and they have a lot of material that they come up with that they never get to for time reasons.

Yeah I'm cautiously optimistic. They're pretty far removed from any storyline or joke fatigue. Futurama isn't really one of my favorites but I liked it growing up and will revisit it from time to time. 

35 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah I'm cautiously optimistic. They're pretty far removed from any storyline or joke fatigue. Futurama isn't really one of my favorites but I liked it growing up and will revisit it from time to time. 

Groenig and Cohen are running it, so I'm optimistic.  I was really impressed with the world building in Disenchantment - Groenig hasn't lost a step.

Forgot about this title screen

FLLzhGyX0AMYmM7?format=jpg&name=small

2 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Shit. I can give you two just from Fox. 

Family Guy, and American Dad.

Family Guy was off the air for 4 years. Futurama actually had a longer gap between the seasons that were on fox and the CC ones. I'm not seeing where American Dad ever had more than a year and a half between seasons. 

I forgot Futurama was split up with that gap in the middle so I thought it was more like 15 years. It will still be a decade between this newest season and the last one. 

To be fair, if someone reads "Good news everyone" and doesn't immediately think of Futurama then neither of these two threads is for them.

It is probably competing with "shiny metal ass" as the most used phrase in the show.

Edited by Hawndoh
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Am I the only one that never got through the Comedy Central restart of the series? And I LOVED the original run. But there were like 3 episode mini-movies leading right into a 5 episode season, followed by another 2 year break, etc.

Honestly, I love the full run of the show but the restart is worth it if only for Game of tones. Think it is the second to last episode of the series, if not it’s definitely final five. 

On 2/9/2022 at 8:25 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Can't blame DiMaggio for wanting to get paid, since he's such a major part of it, but hoping this doesn't get ridiculous.

Why Futurama star John DiMaggio won't voice Bender in Hulu revival | EW.com

According to sources, an offer was extended to all three actors. West and Sagal accepted. DiMaggio's team did not, seeing it as a lowball and not competitive to the market or the legacy of Futurama. One source suggests the favored nations process fell apart with West and Sagal taking the offer without consulting DiMaggio. Another source refutes that notion.

DiMaggio's side counter-offered with more competitive quotes, but some sources suggest conversations with the studio ended in November and have not progressed since.

• 3 weeks later...

Well how about that 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/futurama-john-dimaggio-hulu-revival-1235102273/

John DiMaggio, who voices Bender (and other chraracters) on the long-running and now-revived animated series, will join the rest of the show’s core cast for new episodes on Hulu. When the streamer announced the revival on Feb. 9, DiMaggio had not yet closed a deal to return, but it’s done now. He joins fellow regulars Billy West, Katey Sagal, Tress MacNeille, Maurice LaMarche, Lauren Tom, Phil LaMarr and David Herman.

On 2/9/2022 at 9:28 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Plenty of shows have long breaks

• Twin Peaks
  • X-Files
  • Full House
  • Arrested Development
  • Roseanne
  • Will & Grace
  • Doctor Who
  • and Kevin Bacon

At the start of the pandemic, I finally got my wife to watch xfiles. We binged all the originals in order over a 2-4 month period. Was really strange blowing through something like that that I had initially spent years watching, waiting for next week or next season. Was also weird watching people age before my eyes. Anyway, my wife fell in love with the show and with Gillian Anderson. But then we got to the first extra season.  We watched 2 episodes  (if already seen it). It just fell apart. Even rewatching the originals i was excited to watch the next. But the ‘new’ seasons were just awful. 

Hopefully Futurama does better. 

3 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

At the start of the pandemic, I finally got my wife to watch xfiles. We binged all the originals in order over a 2-4 month period. Was really strange blowing through something like that that I had initially spent years watching, waiting for next week or next season. Was also weird watching people age before my eyes. Anyway, my wife fell in love with the show and with Gillian Anderson. But then we got to the first extra season.  We watched 2 episodes  (if already seen it). It just fell apart. Even rewatching the originals i was excited to watch the next. But the ‘new’ seasons were just awful. 

Yeah, I know there's plenty of X-Files episodes I missed (but not 'Home' and I'm sure your wife enjoyed that one!) and it'd be interesting to watch an episode or two a day and see it that way.

I've done it with a few animated shows blew through Squidbillies a while back - had it on while I was working on other stuff, but could stop and watch when I wanted to.  There's a ton of that stuff on HBO Max, but I'm trying not to get hooked on anything else for a while.

Plus there's stuff in Europe that's more fascinating.

On 3/1/2022 at 11:20 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, I know there's plenty of X-Files episodes I missed (but not 'Home' and I'm sure your wife enjoyed that one!) and it'd be interesting to watch an episode or two a day and see it that way.

I've done it with a few animated shows blew through Squidbillies a while back - had it on while I was working on other stuff, but could stop and watch when I wanted to.  There's a ton of that stuff on HBO Max, but I'm trying not to get hooked on anything else for a while.

Plus there's stuff in Europe that's more fascinating.

Squidbillies is hit or miss for me but when it hits holy shit it's hysterical. 

I recently got through most of ATHF after someone started that thread (actually - I should go back and finish. Think I had like 2 seasons left) and - like Squidbillies - you can really fly through it since the episodes are like 12 minutes long. It's also hit or miss but I think a little more consistent overall. There are certain episodes though that are just too fucking disturbing or downright weird. 

I've binged Futurama a couple times lately but always wind up running out of steam - especially when I hit the later seasons. I loved it when I was younger though and the reruns were all over CC. 

• 1 year later...