2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

43 minutes ago, texifornia said:

New year new thread.

Is Mike Roach at another high school with nicer practice facilities than Texas? Yes, yes he is:

Wife's an alumni... I'm not joking when I say they actually built that facility primarily for the BAND and not the football team.  Part of me is that's incredible, other part is WTH are we spending money on.

Last ten football season records:

4-7

2-7

1-9

3-7

3-7

5-5

4-7

2-8

4-6

4-6

when the wife went there they won 1 game in the 3 years she was there

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Wife's an alumni... I'm not joking when I say they actually built that facility primarily for the BAND and not the football team.  Part of me is that's incredible, other part is WTH are we spending money on.

4-7

2-7

1-9

3-7

3-7

5-5

4-7

2-8

4-6

4-6

So they ARE like Texas.   Light that money on fire, baby!

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

4-7

2-7

1-9

3-7

3-7

5-5

4-7

2-8

4-6

4-6

That's interesting because it's been a hot minute since their band was much more competitive than their football team.  Last time they made State was 2016 and the last time they made Finals at State was 2012.

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

That's interesting because it's been a hot minute since their band was much more competitive than their football team.  Last time they made State was 2016 and the last time they made Finals at State was 2012.

Yeah, it's all Richardson ISD schools... but coincidentally 2016 was the year the bond passed to build the facilities at each high schools.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Not football but Westlake finally fell short at something. McKinney wins the state semifinal in 2OT in one of the biggest state tourney upsets ever.

Crazy finish to regulation, and to 2OT, but that can’t be one of the biggest state tourney upsets ever. It’s not even McKinney’s biggest upset this postseason.

I don't keep up with HS basketball anymore,  but the last 3 posts got me curious so I checked out the State HS rankings.  

The metroplex is definitely the hotbed for Texas HS basketball nowadays.  Back in my day the Houston area was in control.  

I know,  a long time ago.  

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

I don’t know, Westlake was 38-1 and probably would’ve hung with (not beaten) Duncanville. 

McKinney beat Richardson earlier in the playoffs in another thriller, and Richardson was probably better than Westlake. 

Richardson was the only team to beat Duncanville this year, and was ranked the #1 team in the state before they lost to McKinney.

Westlake is really good, but plenty of people saw McKinney winning this one, because of what they’ve shown earlier in the playoffs.

Edit: Also McKinney was a top 10 team too, with one of the best players in the country, it’s not like they came out of nowhere.

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Hook 'Em 3

Westlake (38-2) took a 54-53 lead with 19 seconds left in regulation on a runner by Donovan Santoro and rebounded a missed shot by McKinney (35-5) with 8 seconds remaining on the clock. A desperate McKinney forced a turnover, but an erroneous Westlake defensive substitution in the final 2 seconds of the game led to a technical foul, a free throw by McKinney’s Ja’Kobe Walter, and the wild double-overtime finish.

The clerical error by Westlake’s coaching staff came down to a jersey mistake. Loch Cunningham wasn’t wearing his usual No. 30 because a washing job had apparently changed the white jersey to an unusable shade of gray, said Westlake coach Robert Lucero. The Westlake coaches didn’t note that change in the official book, and Cunningham entered the game wearing a different number.

The bookkeeper immediately caught the error and informed the refs as a furious Lucero tossed his gum to the side and glared down at the court.

21 hours ago, Helobious said:

Not football but Westlake finally fell short at something. McKinney wins the state semifinal in 2OT in one of the biggest state tourney upsets ever.

How was that an upset? Mckinney already beat the #1 team in the nation Richardson earlier in the tournament. 

Westlake (38-2) took a 54-53 lead with 19 seconds left in regulation on a runner by Donovan Santoro and rebounded a missed shot by McKinney (35-5) with 8 seconds remaining on the clock. A desperate McKinney forced a turnover, but an erroneous Westlake defensive substitution in the final 2 seconds of the game led to a technical foul, a free throw by McKinney’s Ja’Kobe Walter, and the wild double-overtime finish.

The clerical error by Westlake’s coaching staff came down to a jersey mistake. Loch Cunningham wasn’t wearing his usual No. 30 because a washing job had apparently changed the white jersey to an unusable shade of gray, said Westlake coach Robert Lucero. The Westlake coaches didn’t note that change in the official book, and Cunningham entered the game wearing a different number.

The bookkeeper immediately caught the error and informed the refs as a furious Lucero tossed his gum to the side and glared down at the court.

Since when are uniforms made of a fiber that can be tinted? Aren’t they all synthetic fiber?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Joke's on you.  We lost 42-7 in Area...

Just not a fan of the rings for otherwise meaningless games.  That goes for the trend in youth league baseball where every weekend tourney gives out rings.   Really?  They're fucking 11.  We have a dude at work whose kid has won more rings this season than fucking Charles Haley.

Edited by slorch

39 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

peyton manning wtf GIF by Gatorade

3 Northside ISD schools got knocked out of the playoffs by border schools last year. Either the valley is getting better at football or SA is getting worse. Seems more like the latter but it’s hard to tell. Would still love to see one of the top valley teams up there for a game against an SA school.

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

3 Northside ISD schools got knocked out of the playoffs by border schools last year. Either the valley is getting better at football or SA is getting worse. Seems more like the latter but it’s hard to tell. Would still love to see one of the top valley teams up there for a game against an SA school.

Ok fair enough...good point 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice story about Garrett Wilson and the draft. (excerpt)

No one had a better seat during Wilson's high school career that Cavaliers coach Hank Carter, who sat with Wilson and his parents — Kenneth and Candace Wilson — Thursday night in the shadows of the Las Vegas Strip. Carter's ticket to the show was made possible by an NFL program called "Thank You Coach."

Yes, it all started when Wilson was a Lake Travis freshman. He arrived at the spacious school with the idea he would be the next great Lake Travis quarterback. But the Cavaliers already had an established quarterback in Charlie Brewer and Carter was looking for another way to utilize his talent. Wilson was reluctantly switched to wide receiver and the rest is history.

"He has this athleticism and concentration to catch the football," Carter said. "It was something I had never seen before."

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/05/02/former-lake-travis-wide-receiver-garrett-wilson-ready-nfl-career-baker-mayfield-garrett-gilbert/9589104002/

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...