2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

7 minutes ago, Scholz said:

No.  There are rules for max field time, time in pads, etc.  

I thought that was the case. 

This time of year I always get nostalgic about playing, and was thinking back on two a day practices in HS.  I don't know how in the hell we survived.  I went to HS back in the day when only pussies wanted water. By the time I was a senior, we were allowed 1 small cup of water and 1 small cup of Gatorade per practice. 

Damned sure don't miss that aspect of it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

This time of year I always get nostalgic about playing, and was thinking back on two a day practices in HS.  I don't know how in the hell we survived.  I went to HS back in the day when only pussies wanted water. By the time I was a senior, we were allowed 1 small cup of water and 1 small cup of Gatorade per practice. 

I remember gobbling salt tablets ha

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

We had one ice break.  Just munch on ice from one of those old metal coolers.  The Srs. could share the melted water by holding up the cooler and letting what was left run down the corners. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We are really losing the point of high school sports with stuff like this.... Alto admin reported 163 instead of 166 (noting this is students not football players)

Because they happened to be right on the cutoff border numbers the kids get slapped down because of an administrative error (I'm sure that person had no clue how significant being "exact" was here).  This on top of their "new" coach abruptly resigning in February deciding he didn't want to be both coach and athletic director.

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

We are really losing the point of high school sports with stuff like this.... Alto admin reported 163 instead of 166 (noting this is students not football players)

Because they happened to be right on the cutoff border numbers the kids get slapped down because of an administrative error (I'm sure that person had no clue how significant being "exact" was here).  This on top of their "new" coach abruptly resigning in February deciding he didn't want to be both coach and athletic director.

Administration and "big shots" in that town are crooked as can be.  School has been in news consistently since the early spring and not for anything good.

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Administration and "big shots" in that town are crooked as can be.  School has been in news consistently since the early spring and not for anything good.

According to report they had 3 kids show up to get enrolled on Oct 21 and all 3 had special issues like 1 being an unaccompanied minor with required more work to get enrolled such that they weren't officially put in the system until Nov 1st. (UIL enrollment submission is Oct 29th)  So they weren't officially enrolled until Nov 1st but were at school the prior week. Given that the actual cutoff number is determined later if it not known at this point.

For these kids a tornado destroyed their high school right before they got there. They have been in portables the past 3 years (the entirety of their HS life).. pandemic... their new coach up and leaves and now this.  Tough way to end your HS in a small Texas town.

• Hook 'Em 1

I remember gobbling salt tablets ha
I survived on Pancho's Mexican Buffett and a hard nap in between practices.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The HC is Lance Gamble, son of Lucky Gamble, who has quite the checkered past. Won tons of games but stirred shit up everywhere he went. Don't know about the son but his dad certainly wouldn't deserve the benefit of the doubt if some fuckery was going on

17 hours ago, Laga4 said:

We had one ice break.  Just munch on ice from one of those old metal coolers.  The Srs. could share the melted water by holding up the cooler and letting what was left run down the corners. 

Trainer passing out the damn salt tablets during water breaks...

FUCK

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

The HC is Lance Gamble, son of Lucky Gamble, who has quite the checkered past. Won tons of games but stirred shit up everywhere he went. Don't know about the son but his dad certainly wouldn't deserve the benefit of the doubt if some fuckery was going on

Lance resigned back in the spring, late winter.

Lucky was my HC when I played in HS.

On 8/2/2022 at 11:46 AM, SHOOTER12 said:

I played in the mid/late 80's and even by then most coaches were pushing hydration.  Most of the coaches I had viewed it akin to putting oil in an engine.  As long as you give em water, we gonna work. 95, 105, 115.  It didn't make a shit.

Fast forward to summer of 89, Marine Corps Boot Camp and they bring out the red flag at 90 degrees. No outside physical training.    Yes Really. My buddy was from small town outside Phoenix and we'd laugh, "We never would have had fucking football practice if them's was the rules at home..."

11 hours ago, slorch said:

I played in the mid/late 80's and even by then most coaches were pushing hydration.  Most of the coaches I had viewed it akin to putting oil in an engine.  As long as you give em water, we gonna work. 95, 105, 115.  It didn't make a shit.

Fast forward to summer of 89, Marine Corps Boot Camp and they bring out the red flag at 90 degrees. No outside physical training.    Yes Really. My buddy was from small town outside Phoenix and we'd laugh, "We never would have had fucking football practice if them's was the rules at home..."

Yeah i was shocked when I went to Bootcamp at MCRD San Diego (98) and they'd use the flag system..  I also remember easily qualifying when we had to do the timed running because it felt like fall compared to what I was running in Austin during that time.

12 hours ago, slorch said:

So you were one of the weak ass poosies?  J/K

You were about 10 years behind me.  I played in Jr High in 70-71, and HS from 72-75, you know...the golden years of stupidity.

• Haha 2

All this talk about 2 a days and none from the 60's. Early to mid 60's here. Coaches did not believe in water. Our dry, sun baked practice field had one spot with nice green grass. Teammates and I discovered real fast that it was a small underground water leak. If we got a chance we would scoop up a little water with our hand.

After practice we got one cup of some mixed up orange juice. Remember standing in the old locker room shower and guzzling water from the shower (no shower head. just a half inch pipe) for what was probaly 10 minutes. Repeated for evening practice.

Many years later discussed this with an old coach of ours. He said it was amazing none of us died, but it was a different time. 

1 hour ago, Bigjohns97 said:

Damn I remember that looking more appetizing 

a little over a month ago my brother dragged me, my daughters and wife to the one in Houston..

He was loving every bit of it... Once we were finished I had to grab some Chik Fil A for my girls on the way home..  That place makes you lose your appetite.  I don't ever remember the one located off Oltorf in Austin being as bad as what I experienced in Houston

On 8/2/2022 at 10:52 PM, Scholz said:

Oh hells yes!

spacer.png

The one on Bellaire in Alief had $.25 draft beer on Mondays the summer before my senior year of high school.  We'd go every Monday in a group of 10-20 and eat everything in sight. After we'd been drinking for about an hour the manager said they were running out of clean mugs so we could have pitchers for $1.50 to conserve mugs. 

I don't think I'd make it to the car without shitting myself if I ate one plate of that now

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

So you were one of the weak ass poosies?  J/K

You were about 10 years behind me.  I played in Jr High in 70-71, and HS from 72-75, you know...the golden years of stupidity.

You sir, were 3 years ahead of me.  I think that our generation (a phrase I'm not terribly enamored of) were hardened to the heat.  No cable tv, no home computers, no nonsense parents... we were outside all the time.  In the summer they expected it of us.  Moms would provide platters of salted, sliced tomatoes to keep us from starving and getting dehydrated.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

I went back a week or so later, meeting my Mom for lunch, and the Manager remembered me. Had to explain to Mom that he thought we’d “raised the flag” too many times last week.

Hook’em!

It's always impressive when you or your party gets the shoulder tap at one of those types of places.  Between the general low grade cost of food, and the fact that they tend to kill it on women who come in pay for all you can eat and then consume a quarter or half plate of food when you have gone "too far" in a place where there are a lot of dudes who probably would like to try to go too far well....you've accomplished something

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2022 at 3:17 PM, cafe society said:

You sir, were 3 years ahead of me.  I think that our generation (a phrase I'm not terribly enamored of) were hardened to the heat.  No cable tv, no home computers, no nonsense parents... we were outside all the time.  In the summer they expected it of us.  Moms would provide platters of salted, sliced tomatoes to keep us from starving and getting dehydrated.  

Damn straight and those tomatoes were awesome!

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Late 80s and a car load of my buddies went to the Pancho’s, in Beaumont, between two-a-days practices. The manager actually came by after an hour or so and said that he thought we’d already got our money’s worth today!

Hook’em!

spacer.png

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2022 at 10:42 AM, EastTexan said:

All this talk about 2 a days and none from the 60's. Early to mid 60's here. Coaches did not believe in water. Our dry, sun baked practice field had one spot with nice green grass. Teammates and I discovered real fast that it was a small underground water leak. If we got a chance we would scoop up a little water with our hand.

After practice we got one cup of some mixed up orange juice. Remember standing in the old locker room shower and guzzling water from the shower (no shower head. just a half inch pipe) for what was probaly 10 minutes. Repeated for evening practice.

Many years later discussed this with an old coach of ours. He said it was amazing none of us died, but it was a different time. 

I grew up in the 80’s, but the mindset was similar about two a days, water, etc.   The water break was getting on one knee while the coach went down the line with a jug of water and gave each player a mouth full.   

I tell these kids to today they have it easy for summer drills.   Many schools have indoor practice  facilities now.  When they are practicing outside, they practice on their turf stadium or practice field high means they are not getting grass spurs or grinding on uneven ground.  Plus they don’t have traditional two a days like we all had back in the day by UIL rule.  Every other day is a two a day and this is limited because many schools will start class next week.  Back in the day we usually started the last week of August and even some cases after Labor Day which gave us three weeks of hardcore two a days.

Really the UIL should think about letting teams start a week earlier , like the last week of July because of the shifts in the calendar.   I see too many kids not in game shape too many times now going into the second and even third weeks of the season.     

• Hook 'Em 1

As a child growing up I saw my Dad in those, on an almost daily basis, as he was a HS Head FB Coach/Athletic Dir. I always thought it was “cool” as a youngster that he decked his staff annually in all new clothes, from head to toe, from practice gear to sideline stuff for Friday Nights.

When I got to my teen-age years and he wanted to dress-up my HS golf team (80s) in those Sans-a-belt shorts/pants it was a hard NO from me and the rest of the team!

• Hook 'Em 1

TXHSFB is almost here! I have two scrimmages this week, Friday PM and Saturday AM, as a TASO official.

If your players/kids aren’t “hydrating” daily, they need too ASAP! I worry more about those at the Jr. High/Middle School level than those with years of experience. It’s hot out there and a cup of water prior to practice just isn’t sufficient. All of those youngsters games are usually right after school (4:30/5:00) first KO, so they can get two games in before dark. The earliest part is also just about the hottest part of the day!

Have your kids hydrate all day, as they’ll be better off/safer! Have a great upcoming season and I look forward to officiating your kids!

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 4

all you olds leaning on your HS two a days...... its soooo much worse now.... climate change and all.... quit crying about your salt tabs and ice breaks.... practice these days is virtually impossible..... its amazing that most teams dont have indoor practices.....o wait!!! 

• Haha 1

TXHSFB is not only tradition, but is involved in our state’s cultural spirit! If you live in an area, maybe even a more “rural” area with no kids involved, they’d love to have you in attendance on Friday Nights!

Over the years, I’ve worked the big games, even at The Jerry World Saturday, which has one 5-A and both 6-As. I’ll tell you that there’s no better way to spend a Fall night than at a 3-4A “one schooled” town! Stadiums are smaller, but the atmosphere is electric! I’m just a referee, but it puts a “pep” in my step!

Check them out! Your local town and teams will appreciate you being there!

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 6

12 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Don’t want to lose this thread.

It will rein back in once regular season starts.

Doing some 2A homework tonight.  Gotta make Top5 Predictions in both divisions, for all 4 regions.

Might be fun to do on here for 6A.  or not...

Ready for football though!!!

Edited by slorch

20 hours ago, Rholl said:

all you olds leaning on your HS two a days...... its soooo much worse now.... climate change and all.... quit crying about your salt tabs and ice breaks.... practice these days is virtually impossible..... its amazing that most teams dont have indoor practices.....o wait!!! 

I forgot to note in my above thread when November came we practiced in three feet of snow at my high school near McAllen.  This is after our parents made us walk five miles in that same snow to go to school after doing our chores on the farm.    Carry on bashing we olds…..

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My first scrimmage of 2022 is in the books! Two smaller teams/towns met up SE of San Antonio. Both teams played very aggressive, but well disciplined on both sides. It was a smooth couple of hours.

Best of luck to both as they head into their season. Crowd was decent for a scrimmage. Ol’ referee (Umpire) made it out unscathed! On to tomorrow’s scrimmage with the big boys (6A).

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 3

On 8/2/2022 at 11:46 AM, SHOOTER12 said:

I was my high-school yearbook photographer. I'd be out there standing and talking to the coaches while my classmates/friends were puking after running bleachers in 103 degree heat, then retire to the darkroom with one of the pep squad members.

• Hook 'Em 1

Aledo takes their 103 district game winning streak(haven’t lost since 2007) into this year. Have my season(wtf had to do this for hs football) tickets purchased and ready to roll. Appears the 3-5A Championship and streak will come down to 10-21 @Denton Ryan.

Ridge Point vs Westlake next Friday night.  My kid no longer playing at Ridge Point after graduating last year, feeling for this years team.  Between equipment issues (the helmet supply issue), excessive heat limits and lighting I don't know if they have had a single full day of practice yet this fall. Scrimmages so far have all been cancelled because of lightning/weather.

RP is breaking in a new QB after graduating a stud and his backup decided he'd rather play at a top private school than in the 6A meat grinder.  Defense will be solid this year.  Bunch of new transfers added in, hoping they can get things organized before next week.  While RP is on a "program path" like Westlake, they certainly aren't there yet.  Hoping game stays competitive (and is televised??).

Love this time of year!

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/9/2022 at 5:47 PM, msucolt45 said:

TXHSFB is not only tradition, but is involved in our state’s cultural spirit! If you live in an area, maybe even a more “rural” area with no kids involved, they’d love to have you in attendance on Friday Nights!

Over the years, I’ve worked the big games, even at The Jerry World Saturday, which has one 5-A and both 6-As. I’ll tell you that there’s no better way to spend a Fall night than at a 3-4A “one schooled” town! Stadiums are smaller, but the atmosphere is electric! I’m just a referee, but it puts a “pep” in my step!

Check them out! Your local town and teams will appreciate you being there!

Hook’em!

I can't wait.  Son is a sooh in HS.  No athletic ability whatsoever, but he's a savant when it comes to football.

First game next Thur.  

18 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Ridge Point vs Westlake next Friday night.  My kid no longer playing at Ridge Point after graduating last year, feeling for this years team.  Between equipment issues (the helmet supply issue), excessive heat limits and lighting I don't know if they have had a single full day of practice yet this fall. Scrimmages so far have all been cancelled because of lightning/weather.

RP is breaking in a new QB after graduating a stud and his backup decided he'd rather play at a top private school than in the 6A meat grinder.  Defense will be solid this year.  Bunch of new transfers added in, hoping they can get things organized before next week.  While RP is on a "program path" like Westlake, they certainly aren't there yet.  Hoping game stays competitive (and is televised??).

Love this time of year!

I don’t give Westlake much of a chance in this game. Ridge Point comes in hungry, while Westlake wasted yet another offseason. We’re undersized, disorganized and divided, with most of the coaches, players and families having ignored the offseason preparation required for success. We may keep it close early due to a lucky turnover, but I see Ridge Point coasting to a huge; decisive win along the lines of 56 to 10. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

I don’t give Westlake much of a chance in this game. Ridge Point comes in hungry, while Westlake wasted yet another offseason. We’re undersized, disorganized and divided, with most of the coaches, players and families having ignored the offseason preparation required for success. We may keep it close early due to a lucky turnover, but I see Ridge Point coasting to a huge; decisive win along the lines of 56 to 10. 

I was about to have a wtf moment...and then I remembered. 

Wishing you a great season TreatyOak.

• Hook 'Em 1