2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

In a matchup of two AP top-15 teams in the state, No. 15 Arlington Martin upset No. 7 Lake Travis, a 2021 state semifinalist, 39-31 on national television.

Senior running back Michael Barrow carried his team to victory, totaling 207 yards and four touchdowns. From the first play of the game when he returned the opening kickoff 43 yards, Lake Travis struggled to find an answer for him.

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

In a matchup of two AP top-15 teams in the state, No. 15 Arlington Martin upset No. 7 Lake Travis, a 2021 state semifinalist, 39-31 on national television.

Senior running back Michael Barrow carried his team to victory, totaling 207 yards and four touchdowns. From the first play of the game when he returned the opening kickoff 43 yards, Lake Travis struggled to find an answer for him.

Toviano popped off the tv screen. Kid is real.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Didn't help that LT was missing their starting qb.

14 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Tell me more about young Jacob Henry. Is Texas recruiting him? Is he good enough to play on the 40 Acres?

Jacob is a great kid. Hard worker. Incredible powerlifter. Really good wrestler. Still learning at DT. with his size and strength, he should be dominating. he isn't. he stands straight up when the ball snaps and mostly leans on the OL in front of him. he often will get pushed backward. the potential is there. the work ethic is there. the desire is there. he just needs to put it all together. i think he will eventually get there and be dominant. and i think he will end up making the college he attends very happy. but they will need to be patient with him. If i were Texas, I would recruit him. I do think he will be that good. I dont think he has gotten a lot of attention yet but I expect he will this year. he is one of my son's really good friends. he is a really funny guy and one that has a lot of character, definitely a team guy.

• Hook 'Em 2

OK, now that immamac plugged the server back in, from last night...

Lake Travis-Arlington Martin @ Rangers' old stadium (I am NOT calling it Choctaw Field)  This is tonight and will be on ESPNU.

39-31 Martin.  I assumed most of y'all watched this.  LT's starting QB got hurt the day before the game and didn't play; his replacement could run but not pass.  Martin was clearly the better team, as LT's D looked better than it did in 2020 when they were a total sieve, but they're still not good.  LT will win a lot of 56-35 games this season.

Texarkana-Frisco Lone Star @ Jerryworld

Lone Star ran to a 38-20 lead and held on 38-33.  Not a bad showing by the Tigers in the loss.

Coastal Bend

G-P @ Calallen  Tonight!  G-P has shown some signs of getting their program back to glory... Calallen will be taking the field without Danaher for the first time since Texas became a state.

22-12 Calallen.  Ugly, sloppy game with all sorts of fumbles... G-P lost their QB to a bad injury in 2nd quarter.

Central

New Braunfels vs Ryan @ UMHB  Oddest matchup in the state this week.  Ryan lost a lot from last season, but they'll still win easily.

Shocker here, as Ryan blew a 33-14 lead and lost 34-33.  Ryan's new QB really struggled and they missed several extra points which turned out to matter.

Houston

The Woodlands @ North Shore  Tonight!

NS ran out to a 42-7 lead at half and won 49-21. 

Dickinson @ Atascocita  Two programs that manage to be really good and still underachieve IMO.  Lots of athletes will be on display.

Really disappointing performance by the Gators -- 37-0 Atascocita.

A couple of other interesting scores:

Boerne 35 Flour Bluff 32

Mission Vets 32 Mission 20

Prosper 17 Trinity 13

Stony Point 53 Austin 0

Lubbock Coronado 20 Frenship 14

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, D3zii said:

I really hope WestLake goes D1 this year , probably won’t though 

I think they are dependent on what happens to Del Valle.  Here's their district sorted by enrollment:

Lake Travis 3680.5
Del Valle 3578
Westlake 2842
Bowie 2830.5
Akins 2642.5
Hays Johnson 2474
Dripping Springs 2335
Austin High 2381
Anderson 2232

If Del Valle makes the playoffs, Westlake gets the easier path.  It's a crazy system.  Westlake will crush everyone in their district except LT, but there is a chance they would be a "smaller" school in the playoffs.

If LT wants to screw Westlake, they will build that second high school and then manage enrollment at LT to always be Westlake minus one.

Edited by Texas Jeff
  • Hook 'Em 1

Here at MISD stadium in McKinney for Longview @ McKinney Boyd.

Jalen Hale had a 60+ yard catch and run for a TD after Boyd threw a pick. Boyd then moved the ball well, but settled for a FG. Longview got the ball and moved to around the Boyd 10. QB threw it up to Hale on a goal line fade. Hale made it look easy. Longview up 14-3 end of the first quarter. Hale is the real deal, but y’all knew that already. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Jacob is a great kid. Hard worker. Incredible powerlifter. Really good wrestler. Still learning at DT. with his size and strength, he should be dominating. he isn't. he stands straight up when the ball snaps and mostly leans on the OL in front of him. he often will get pushed backward. the potential is there. the work ethic is there. the desire is there. he just needs to put it all together. i think he will eventually get there and be dominant. and i think he will end up making the college he attends very happy. but they will need to be patient with him. If i were Texas, I would recruit him. I do think he will be that good. I dont think he has gotten a lot of attention yet but I expect he will this year. he is one of my son's really good friends. he is a really funny guy and one that has a lot of character, definitely a team guy.

Jacob is amazing. He taught me how to love a woman and scold a child. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Here at MISD stadium in McKinney for Longview @ McKinney Boyd.

Jalen Hale had a 60+ yard catch and run for a TD after Boyd threw a pick. Boyd then moved the ball well, but settled for a FG. Longview got the ball and moved to around the Boyd 10. QB threw it up to Hale on a goal line fade. Hale made it look easy. Longview up 14-3 end of the first quarter. Hale is the real deal, but y’all knew that already. 

Hale is awesome but I want me some Taylor Tatum …

51 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

21-14 Chaps at half. 

Now 28-14 but definitely a desultory performance by the Chaps. The offense is struggling. 

UPDATE: Our boosters had a "little talk" with the refs at halftime. It has seemed to help. 

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Now 28-14 but definitely a desultory performance by the Chaps. The offense is struggling. 

UPDATE: Our boosters had a "little talk" with the refs at halftime. It has seemed to help. 

Went to pick up my freshman daughter when it was still 21-14 and people were streaming out like it was 50-3. Enjoy a good game for once!

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

After the late hit took the RP QB out this game has been all WL.

Final was Westlake 44-14. @MonkeyDoughnut, I was very impressed w Ridge Point. They are big, with fast athletes all over the field. They gave our Chaps all we could handle in the first half. Their defensive line was stout AF. Their offensive left tackle is a monster and they have a burner at WR. (going to Baylor) They look like they are poised for a deep run. I haven't seen a team shut down our interior runs in along time. Good luck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Final was Westlake 44-14. @MonkeyDoughnut, I was very impressed w Ridge Point. They are big, with fast athletes all over the field. They gave our Chaps all we could handle in the first half. Their defensive line was stout AF. Their offensive left tackle is a monster and they have a burner at WR. (going to Baylor) They look like they are poised for a deep run. I haven't seen a team shut down our interior runs in along time. Good luck. 

Yeah, they've got the athletes coming in now. Coach only in his 3rd year there but has assembled great staff. Still missing the size on offensive to compete when we go against North Shore and Atascocita. Westlake just too good at what they do for teams like RP to compete without more top end talent. I was impressed by RPs new QB though. Big shoes to fill after BJ Emanuel graduated...who last season accounted for 46 TDs (31/15) and over 3600 yards of offense and zero interceptions.

Really need Chaps to go D1 or North Shore going to coast to a title again. Chaps offense will be firing much better come end of season and that defense can play with anyone.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/25/2022 at 10:52 PM, Beau Vine said:

That time of the year again gents!  

Helobious Special!!

Bird Bowl!  Harlingen South-Harlingen  Last year, South won this game for the first time in over a decade, but they've dropped to 5A now, so this is not a district game.  

Harlingen 37 - South 7 

Harlingen looked like a pretty typical Harlingen team. Created two turnovers, suffocated South in the second half, and let the points come when they come.  Junior quarterback is ready to use his legs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Harlingen 37 - South 7 

Harlingen looked like a pretty typical Harlingen team. Created two turnovers, suffocated South in the second half, and let the points come when they come.  Junior quarterback is ready to use his legs. 

A first time senior QB starting for the 3rd straight year would’ve been a problem. Glad they’re giving junior QB Morales the reins, hopefully he keeps it all season.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 2:35 AM, Helobious said:

It’s time. Helobious Poll 2022. Just gonna do a top 5 and highlight some players.

Two words: 5A Division 1. If we’re ever going to make the state semis, this is the year and division. Vela, McMemorial, and PSJA North are all stout this year. The SA districts in here are laughable. Only teams standing in the way: CC Vets and CC Miller. Si se puede. 

1. Edinburg Vela – Campbell might be scummy but he sure can coach. Vela remains the class of the RGV. They added a transfer QB from Victoria West, whose family moved for the prosperous Edinburg economy and for no other reason. However my buddy that watched Vela vs Harlingen scrimmage last week said all of Vela’s QBs sucked. That may be their downfall after 3 years of stellar QB play.

2. Harlingen - @956 Worldwide we're gonna be good. One of our bigger/better O-lines we've had in a while, all experienced guys too. Lost a lot on defense but got 3/4 of a strong secondary back, including Albert Vasquez who got 8 picks last year. Pedro Silguero will fill in the DL void left by Huerta nicely. 3-way battle for QB from what I'm told, but really all they should do is hand the ball to Izaiah Bell or Kian Torres and GTFO the way.

3. PSJA North - Junior Ale Aparicio is in my mind the valley's best QB, out most of last year with an injury. This team has a lot of juniors and seniors that have played 2-3 years on varsity already. However the JV offense they run really limits them.

4. McAllen Memorial - They always have talent (at least 6 FBS scholarship players in the past 15 years, many schools up north can't even say that) but their coaching always massively held them back. This new guy seems better but we'll see.

5. San Benito - Their projected senior starting QB transferred to ride the bench at Judson for some reason. They should be solid but I don't see them making much noise. 

Gilpin Specials (players I think are good)

Tyrell Trevino (SR), WR/RB, Mercedes - Best all around athlete in the valley, quite the track star. Passes what I've dubbed "the Mishak Test". If you have a black first name and hispanic last name you're probably good at football. Watch out for McAllen HS sophomore WR DeVante Espinoza for this reason as well. Tyrell holds an offer from TAMUK.

Thomas Domian (SR), OL, McMemorial - Best lineman in the RGV. UTSA come get your man.

Jake Dufner (SR), DL, Edinburg Vela - Best DL in the RGV. I don't really see FBS talent but he'll play in college somewhere.

Justin Navarro (SR), WR/DB, Edinburg Vela - Hell of an athlete, could play D3 ball.

Sterling Tomlin (SO), LB, Harlingen - Been hearing about this kid since for a couple years now. Will start as a sophomore, apparently he's just an animal on the field. 

Jaime Lopez (QB), Jr, PSJA - 3 year starter, should be taking a big step forward this year. 

Postcard home

Landry Gilpin - Has turned himself into a damn good starting QB at Southwestern

Eddie Lee Marburger - Could be the backup at UTSA this year as a RS Freshman. That's huge.

Erik Pizzaro - Forgot about this guy. Was a star WR at Rio Hondo, walked on at Lamar and balled out there, has now transferred to Kansas State. Will be a senior 

That's all I got. For the love of god can someone win 3 playoff games. Good luck to everyone all over the state. It's the best time of the year.

McMemorial almost got bit by Brownsville Hanna. They have a huge line and their receiving core looks decent. Maybe this is a decent Hanna team but it’s never a good look to allow a Brownsville school to give you a hard time. 

PSJA North blew up PSJA High 49-0. They’re in the right place in your poll.

Edinburg High 21 McHi 13. An old school score for two old school programs.  It would be fun to see these two actually make noise, but they’re only gonna be middling. Harlingen High is really the only old Valley “High” that has managed to stay relevant even regionally. 

Port Isabel 41 Lyford 40 in OT. I think all Harlingen fans have a soft spot for PI after so many years where we are the last fans traveling in the playoffs. Can Tony V restore some of the luster to that program? Also, Tony V is a valley coaching fossil. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 1

Looked it up, Tony V has been head coaching as an HC since 1990 except for a short retirement.  

Fave Tony V moment was when he won a district championship at PSJA North in 1997 back when there were just two big school districts in the RGV. After the last district game he told a TV camera” Any team up here is going to beat any team from that other district down there.” 

31-5A proceeded to go 0-3 against 32-5A in bi-district and that shit got played before every highlight on the news.  Pre-Internet viral clip. 

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Melissa@Argyle   Melissa shocked the Eagles with a shutout last season; both have been bumped up to 5A now.

Both bird teams threw haymakers in the first half, but Argyle pulled away in the 2nd half 37-18.

Grandview @ Glen Rose  GR shocked Grandview by 30 last season, one of the first indications that their program is approaching state title contender status

The Tigers (WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY NOT THE DINOSAURS???) announced their presence with authority, 44-23.

St. John Bosco @ Allen  Huge test for the Eagles and new coach Wiginton, as SJB is ranked #1 in the nation

SJB 52-14

East Texas

Gilmer @ Tyler Chapel Hill  Two top 5 teams in 4A... Gilmer has to replace their do-it-all QB

I guess they did.  51-27 Buckeyes.  What a terrible mascot.

Kilgore @ Carthage  One of the best rivalries in the state

Carthage 45-10.

Brock vs Tex Pleasant Grove @ Greenville  3A vs 4A... Brock's playing a crazy schedule, as they follow this one up with Wimberley in Waco next week.

PG 28-7

Malakoff @ West Rusk  Two ranked 3A teams battle  

Malakoff 28-7

Coastal Bend

Cuero @ El Campo  The Gobblers have a lot back, but lost their coach... Ruben Owens' senior year will be the do-or-die year for the Ricebirds after banging on the door the last couple of years

Holy shit!  43-14 Cuero!

Edna @ East Bernard  EB is a traditional power, but look for the bigger Edna to win this and make real noise this season

47-7 Edna.  Imma go ahead an take the Cowboys to win 3AD1R4

Central

Lorena @ China Spring  3A @ 4A matchup...Lorena ran off 14 straight wins after CS beat them in 2021.  CS returns almost everyone from their state champ team except the QB, but they successfully recruited Wimberley's QB who threw for 2500 yards as a soph, so they'll be fine.

CS 38-20

Houston

Manvel @ Shadow Creek

32-13 SC

CE King @ Crosby  Cougars have won R4 twice in a row...Derek Fitzhenry has turned King into one of the best programs in Houston.

63-7 King  Maybe the most impressive result of the night.

Austin area

SA Wagner @ Liberty Hill  Game should last about 2 hours as neither team will pass it

LH 35-21

Dripping Springs @ Vandegriff  Vipers are probably favored, but Drip's QB will be the best player on the field

Novosed had a big game and Drip kicked a 42-y FG as time expired to win 23-20

Ridge Point @ Westlake  Will be interesting to see RP in life without Bert Emmanuel Jr, same for Westlake without Todd Dodge

<snore>

West Texas

Permian @ Abilene  Have to have something from the former Little SWC, even though these programs have been pretty mediocre for a while

17-3 Mojo

Jim Ned @ Hawley   3A @ 2A  Hawley came out of nowhere to make it to state last year and returns a lot of talent, but Jim Ned is always good and will have more bodies.

Hawley 30-7.  Wow.

Sweetwater @ Idalou   4A @ 3A

Idalou 38-20

Childress @ Abernathy  Childress had a great 2021 until the playoffs started, but then they lost in round 1 in probably the biggest upset in all the playoffs; Abernathy went 12-2 and lost in region finals for the 3rd time in 4 years last season.

Childress 16-14

Helobious Special!!

Bird Bowl!  Harlingen South-Harlingen  Last year, South won this game for the first time in over a decade, but they've dropped to 5A now, so this is not a district game.  

37-7 Cards.   Things are right again in Harlingen.

Others of note:

Halletsville 14 Shiner 7

Desoto 35 Some private New Orleans school 10

Vela 50 Edinburg North 14 Vela should keep its #1 ranking in the prestigious Helobious Poll.

Cedar Ridge 34 Cedar Park 14  What the hell has happened to the TWolves?

Waxahachie 42 Ennis 2  WTF?

Dallas Parish Episcopal 24  Aledo 17

NB Canyon 43  CC Vets 42

Lubbock Cooper 27 Dumas 8

Seguin 42 Alamo Heights 39

Manor New Tech 58 Austin Eastside 14

Manor 33 LBJ 20

Stephenville 49 Midl Heritage 42

WOS 32 Nederland 0

Roho 58 Old High 10

Beeville Jones 20 Sinton 17

La Vega 34 Kennedale 7

Uvalde 21 Carrizo Springs 13

Yoe 71 Lago Vista 35

Hitchcock 49 Refugio 12

I was surprised by Aledo losing to Parish!! Is Parish that good or Aledo not as good as they usually are?? 

also the private school Desoto beat,  weren’t they ranked in the top 25?? St.Aug 

I was surprised by the King/Crosby  score but at the same time I’m not. King is going to be stout!!!

Houston has some really good teams in 6A this season . Westfield, King, N.Shore, Shadow Creek, man is gone be a dog fight

12 hours ago, D3zii said:

Anyone know how Desoto is doing?

FYI Anytime that games are going on, you can go to Dave Campbell’s Texas football website and check scores. They are not minute to minute, but they are close.

2A Refugio, Shiner, Windthorst, and Falls City all lost last night.

Given those teams’ backgrounds, it’s like SLC, Allen, Westlake, and North Shore all losing on the same weekend.

Just wow!!!

1 hour ago, slorch said:

2A Refugio, Shiner, Windthorst, and Falls City all lost last night.

Given those teams’ backgrounds, it’s like SLC, Allen, Westlake, and North Shore all losing on the same weekend.

Just wow!!!

Refugio didn’t just lose…..  they got their asses kicked by fricken Hitchcock.  I can’t recall the last time Refugio got blasted in their first game 

22 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

OK, now that immamac plugged the server back in, from last night...

Lake Travis-Arlington Martin @ Rangers' old stadium (I am NOT calling it Choctaw Field)  This is tonight and will be on ESPNU.

39-31 Martin.  I assumed most of y'all watched this.  LT's starting QB got hurt the day before the game and didn't play; his replacement could run but not pass.  Martin was clearly the better team, as LT's D looked better than it did in 2020 when they were a total sieve, but they're still not good.  LT will win a lot of 56-35 games this season.

Texarkana-Frisco Lone Star @ Jerryworld

Lone Star ran to a 38-20 lead and held on 38-33.  Not a bad showing by the Tigers in the loss.

Coastal Bend

G-P @ Calallen  Tonight!  G-P has shown some signs of getting their program back to glory... Calallen will be taking the field without Danaher for the first time since Texas became a state.

22-12 Calallen.  Ugly, sloppy game with all sorts of fumbles... G-P lost their QB to a bad injury in 2nd quarter.

Central

New Braunfels vs Ryan @ UMHB  Oddest matchup in the state this week.  Ryan lost a lot from last season, but they'll still win easily.

Shocker here, as Ryan blew a 33-14 lead and lost 34-33.  Ryan's new QB really struggled and they missed several extra points which turned out to matter.

Houston

The Woodlands @ North Shore  Tonight!

NS ran out to a 42-7 lead at half and won 49-21. 

Dickinson @ Atascocita  Two programs that manage to be really good and still underachieve IMO.  Lots of athletes will be on display.

Really disappointing performance by the Gators -- 37-0 Atascocita.

A couple of other interesting scores:

Boerne 35 Flour Bluff 32

Mission Vets 32 Mission 20

Prosper 17 Trinity 13

Stony Point 53 Austin 0

Lubbock Coronado 20 Frenship 14

Late to the game here. GP vs Calallen was as you noted.    Not uncharacteristic none the less.   Calallen plays a team from Mexico City next week.  They will either be 18 and 19 year olds or 24 year old  men. 

• Hook 'Em 1