2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

There was a huge scheduling “boon doggle” in Wimberley tonight! Somehow/someway no referee crew was assigned to work the game with them hosting Fredericksburg. Stadium was packed and teams were ready, but no referee crew?

The solution to this was to play in the morning, with a 10:00AM KO. I know the crew now assigned to tomorrow’s game - “really well.”

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 2

Other scores:

Dripping 77 Austin High 0

Waxahachie 51 Cedar Hill 21  Not gonna post the Trinity score again, but pour one out for those two once-proud programs.

Steele 35 Midland Legacy 28

Hutto 26 Judson 23

Permian 28 Harker Heights 27

Weslaco 41 Sharyland 10

Brownsville Vets 44 Port Isabel 14  Lol.

Ab Cooper 33 Lub Coronado 28

Stephenville 56 Ab Wylie 49

Boerne 52 G-P 27

Lorena 14 La Vega 6

SA YMLA 45 Manor New Tech 30

Edna 48 Sinton 21 WTF???  @Nueces River Rat

Newton 24 WOS 21

Abernathy 50 Post 8

Timpson 40 Waskom 14

Fred@Wimberley was postponed tomorrow because no refs showed up.  They were originally going to pull people out of the stands to ref, but sanity prevailed.  @msucolt45, do you know anything?

All I know is that there was no crew “assigned” in our Arbiter scheduling system. Something about a date/time change of this game wasn’t reported by the host coach/admin (Wimberley). That’s all I know, because it’s definitely not like a crew decided to not show up to officiate.

Going to bed now, because I “really know the crew” for the morning. Breakfast tacos will be eaten during the drive!

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

All I know is that there was no crew “assigned” in our Arbiter scheduling system. Something about a date/time change of this game wasn’t reported by the host coach/admin (Wimberley). That’s all I know, because it’s definitely not like a crew decided to not show up to officiate.

Going to bed now, because I “really know the crew” for the morning. Breakfast tacos will be eaten during the drive!

Hook’em!

If you go to the Shamrock station across from the HEB and tell them you're reffing the game, they'll GIVE you the best breakfast tacos you've ever eaten.

I know Trinity is down, but this is the best team in Boswell history. The aggy baseball commit Sawyer Farr is fast and can sling it, the oline doesnt commit penalties, and playmakers at every position. 4-0 and will be favored in every game the rest of the way except North Crowley. Projecting a 1st round matchup with Byron Nelson in the D2 bracket. They also look pretty good this year. Cant see us getting past Guyer or HP on the other side of the bracket. HP would be fun though, we beat them for the state title in baseball back in the day

• Hook 'Em 2

DS killed AHS 77-0. Six turnovers (two poorly thrown passes for INT) and four fumbles that were seemingly all due to bobbled exchanges doomed Austin High. 
I will say DS has a good team and in a seemingly down year for the district (LT QB woes, Bowie struggling with Anderson etc) will be a fun team to watch go against Westlake. 
My fatwa against ridiculous HS halftime shows continues as last night was homecoming for DS and they had like 7 couples up for king/queen. Halftime went like five minutes over as the announcer was giving “longcat” style descriptions of each couple. 
Such a beating. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I know Trinity is down, but this is the best team in Boswell history. The aggy baseball commit Sawyer Farr is fast and can sling it, the oline doesnt commit penalties, and playmakers at every position. 4-0 and will be favored in every game the rest of the way except North Crowley. Projecting a 1st round matchup with Byron Nelson in the D2 bracket. They also look pretty good this year. Cant see us getting past Guyer or HP on the other side of the bracket. HP would be fun though, we beat them for the state title in baseball back in the day

You say “we”. Are you referring to Boswell?

4 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

DS killed AHS 77-0. Six turnovers (two poorly thrown passes for INT) and four fumbles that were seemingly all due to bobbled exchanges doomed Austin High. 
I will say DS has a good team and in a seemingly down year for the district (LT QB woes, Bowie struggling with Anderson etc) will be a fun team to watch go against Westlake. 
My fatwa against ridiculous HS halftime shows continues as last night was homecoming for DS and they had like 7 couples up for king/queen. Halftime went like five minutes over as the announcer was giving “longcat” style descriptions of each couple. 
Such a beating. 

Lol, I hated those homecoming games. Im sure every district has "that" team, the one that gets scheduled as the other teams homecoming game. I feel for those fans. I know a couple years ago in our district "that" team had like 5 in a row including their own home game.... just brutal when combined with how bad their team was.

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Other scores:

Dripping 77 Austin High 0

Waxahachie 51 Cedar Hill 21  Not gonna post the Trinity score again, but pour one out for those two once-proud programs.

Steele 35 Midland Legacy 28

Hutto 26 Judson 23

Permian 28 Harker Heights 27

Weslaco 41 Sharyland 10

Brownsville Vets 44 Port Isabel 14  Lol.

Ab Cooper 33 Lub Coronado 28

Stephenville 56 Ab Wylie 49

Boerne 52 G-P 27

Lorena 14 La Vega 6

SA YMLA 45 Manor New Tech 30

Edna 48 Sinton 21 WTF???  @Nueces River Rat

Newton 24 WOS 21

Abernathy 50 Post 8

Timpson 40 Waskom 14

Fred@Wimberley was postponed tomorrow because no refs showed up.  They were originally going to pull people out of the stands to ref, but sanity prevailed.  @msucolt45, do you know anything?

Sinton is rebuilding this year.  But they will be back in Austin for baseball in June.  

11 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Lol, I hated those homecoming games. Im sure every district has "that" team, the one that gets scheduled as the other teams homecoming game. I feel for those fans. I know a couple years ago in our district "that" team had like 5 in a row including their own home game.... just brutal when combined with how bad their team was.

Several years ago we went to the Westlake game against one of the Leander/Cedar Park teams. Halftime was well over an hour as they introduced every senior in the band, cheer and dance and they each walked about 30 yards and wouldn't announce the next till the one was done walking. Holy fuck was that annoying.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

Ridge Point vs Hightower game which basically was to decide district champ as the rest of the district is poor this year turned into an epic HS game.

For first time that they know of Mercer stadium (cap~9800) sold out and they had to turn people away.

Hightower took a 17-0 lead into 3rd when RP returned a kickoff 100yards then recovered a muffled popup kick and scored on next play....they missed both PAT so trailed 17-12 with 3mins left in 3rd.

Hightower drove to 9yd line with 8mins to go and attempts FG to have it blocked and returned for a TD...RP takes lead for first time.  RP ends up winning 25-17.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 8:01 AM, BrazilHorn said:

DS has Novosad and should be the favorite for sure. However I wouldn’t sleep on either Bowie or Anderson. Bowie is 4-0 and Anderson is 4 pts away from being 4-0 also. Anderson is not terrible this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/17/2022 at 8:01 AM, BrazilHorn said:

Such a beating. 

Lol.  When Garland played at North McKinney, they had some sort of senior thing before the game.  I'm thinking, "Cool.  Whaevs."  This effing thing went on for almost 45 minutes.  I guess they were allowing the senior class to get called and walk the field with family.  

I see @blacklab had already written something similar.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
Blacklab

On 9/17/2022 at 7:05 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

Calallen 24. Cuero 8.

Calallen held Cuero to 260 yards Offense while putting up 310 of their own. With 150 of it in the air again. Cuero only 65 yards at half. That was probably one of the best half’s of defense I’ve seen Cal play in a decade or so against a team that has been whooping it up.

I think Calallen will be playing at Jerryworld in December. Cuero will be probably there as well in the 4a D2 bracket.

My Redskins might just get a visit from me .

Donna North looks like the best game left on their home slate, if you’re looking to go to Bennie La Prade.  

Harlingen South has bounced back and it looks like Donna-South may be the district championship game if early returns hold.  Brownsville Vets also in the mix, but you don’t want to go to Sam’s, Boggus in Harlingen would be a much better trip. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Mittens said:

The team in their 1st year of 6A should be the favorite over the 3-time defending state champs?  Am I reading that correctly? 

I meant over LT, Anderson and Bowie.  Bad communication on my part.  I would consider Westlake the favorite to win that district.

You're a Westlake fan I take it?

Edited by Scholz
  • Hook 'Em 1

Not necessarily, but follow Austin/CenTex so Westlake is going to loom large.  I probably know more about them than anyone else just through recruiting and coverage in general.  I had Westlake taking 26-6A and LT/DS in 2nd and 3rd w/ Bowie and Del Valle fighting for 4th going into the season.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/18/2022 at 5:02 PM, msucolt45 said:

TASO/UIL/NCAA rules limit Halftime for a regular game at 24 mins and 28 mins for Homecoming. The home team should’ve been assessed a penalty, prior to the second half, for delay of the game. We (my crew) did one last year!

You're a gotdam hero, you know that?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

High school halftimes are too damn long. 

14minutes a side isn't unreasonable.

I get salty/ "get off my lawn" when they bring out the 246 piece orchestra bullshit.  I otherwise don't really care, but if you can't carry it, it's not fucking marching band.

and fuck metronomes.  You have a percussion section for a reason, bitches.  Now back to my phone to check statewide scores...

Edited by slorch

20 minutes ago, slorch said:

I get salty/ "get off my lawn" when they bring out the 246 piece orchestra bullshit.  I otherwise don't really care, but if you can't carry it, it's not fucking marching band.

and fuck metronomes.  You have a percussion section for a reason, bitches.  Now back to my phone to check statewide scores...

I feel like 10 minutes per team should suffice. With 25 minute total for a homecoming type event. But homecoming could be done pregame like senior night. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

Don’t think they will cut the halftime minutes. If you pay attention,  there are a lot of fans hit the exit  right after halftime. They have seen their little darlings do their thing and couldn’t care less about the game.  Schools and UIL don’t want to lose those people or listen to them complain if they do. 

Edited by Laga4

Not to mention there is often treatment by the training staff and (by some coaches) halftime adjustments being made.

Halftime doesn't need to be shorter, but it doesn't need to go over the 28 minutes or whatever either.  Get your own gig if you need more time.

7 hours ago, slorch said:

A 246 piece  orchestra  that is brought to a stadium in an 18 wheeler too.

My last kiddo left here at home is in band, so first time and only time band parent, but I also do football booster club stuff at our home/away games.   Noting like getting home from a 2 hour road trip like I did last Friday night from Cuero and waiting another 1 hour for them to show up at the high school because they were in the Yellow Hounds that cant go over 65 Mph .   And then waiting another 45 mins for them to unload the semi trailer and finally getting home at 2 AM.   I get do that again this week as we play in fricken  Zapata and that drive between here and Corpus sucks in daylight,      It REALLY sucks in the pitch dark. I expect to get home around 3 AM.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Lol.. yeah I remember when band meant students and their non-electric instruments marching and playing music. Now it involves a dozen or more parents setting things up and all kinds of enormous props, speakers, drum sets, electric guitars, power cords, etc so that you can barely see the few remaining kids with instruments actually playing. that standing holding and moving props. Last one I went to had more kids responsible for nothing more than moving props on and off the field than ones actually playing instruments.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was a “band Dad” with my youngest child, in Boerne, and I know the pain. Nobody has even mentioned working the Band concession stand yet - hard to believe! Loading and unloading the trailer was easy, but concession stands always included the old and true “80/20 Principle”, as the relief never showed up!

The fun times! Most of my daughters close friends, that lived out in the country surrounding Boerne, the parents didn’t want their child driving home after midnight (dark, deer, and etc) - imagine just picking your kid up, so usually 3-6 would crash on my daughters floor for the night, which meant Dad had to get up and make a kolache/donut run early Saturday!

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

I was a “band Dad” with my youngest child, in Boerne, and I know the pain. Nobody has even mentioned working the Band concession stand yet - hard to believe! Loading and unloading the trailer was easy, but concession stands always included the old and true “80/20 Principle”, as the relief never showed up!

The fun times! Most of my daughters close friends, that lived out in the country surrounding Boerne, the parents didn’t want their child driving home after midnight (dark, deer, and etc) - imagine just picking your kid up, so usually 3-6 would crash on my daughters floor for the night, which meant Dad had to get up and make a kolache/donut run early Saturday!

Hook’em!

One reason I stayed active in the Football Booster club is so I wouldn’t get recruited to work in the concession stand.   Lol. I let them recruit my wife instead.     But I do help out when we host the band contests.

Games o' the week:

AUS
Lake Travis @ Westlake Can you really call it a rivalry when it has been so lopsided lately?  I mean, TreatyOak hasn't even anti-weauxfed this game yet!  Westlake's last loss (in any game) was to LT in 2019 by 1 point.  The Chaps won last year 63-21, and while they're not as good, and LT has improved a little, I'd be surprised if this one is close.

Dripping @ Bowie  The Drips have forcefully announced that they will have no problem in 6A, busting out to a 3-0 record by 137-27. Bowie is also 4-0, but a squeaker over a bad Anderson team (pardon the redundancy) last week makes you wonder.  Dripping big in this one.

Also news of note: Austin Eastside has cancelled this week's game because of a staph infection outbreak among the football team.  Sheesh, get your shit together, AISD!

San Antonio
New Braunfels Canyon @ Smithson Valley  NBC is maybe the best story in the whole state, as their traditionally awful program has been resurrected by Mike Adams' kids, who star at QB and WR.  SV has won the last 17 in a row against Canyon, but they are just incredibly unathletic for a good 6A program, and they'll have a lot of problems keeping up with the Adams boys TONIGHT.

RGV
Vela @ PSJA North These two teams combined for 22-4 last season in 6A; they've both dropped to 5A, but are still at the top of the class of the RGV.  Vela's 50-14 opening week win marks their fewest points scored and most points allowed; overall, they're 222-34.  The PJSAN Fightin' Alphabets are also undefeated, but their resume includes a close win over a bad Laredo US team.  Vela won this 24-0 last season; expect it to be worse TONIGHT.

East Texas
Lancaster @ Longview  The 5A #1 Lobos have not been challenged, winning 4 by 209-28.  Star WR Jalen Hale has 290 yards and 4 TDs, but he just committed to Bama, so fuck him.  Lancaster might have the D to slow him down and make this a game; Guyer hung 50 on them, but they've only allowed 1 TD in their other 3 games.  But this Lobo team is looking as good as the one that won state in 2018.  

WestOrange-Stark @ Silsbee  WOS, without legendary coach Corny Thompson for the first time since the 70s, is having trouble adjusting, losing the last two weeks to PNG and Newton.  Silsbee has looked ready to dethrone the Mustangs as top dogs in the Golden Triangle area before, notably when they upset them in the region finals in 2018 & 19.  WOS's defense used to be called the Chain Gang to honor their dominance.  That moniker is no longer used because of racial sensitivities and because they're allowing 21 ppg.  Expect this to be close, but it looks like it's Silsbee's time.

Houston
PNG @ FB Marshall  Saturday...Two 2-1 teams that are not only trying to establish district pecking order, but also 5AD2R3 supremacy.  PNG has rebounded from a shocking opening week blowout loss to PA Memorial, while Marshall's blemish is an OT loss to Crosby.

Klein Oak @ Collins  I honestly can't keep all the schools from Klein and Cypress straight, so I don't even try, and I really know nothing about either of these teams, other that they're both undefeated and top 20-ranked in 6A.  I do know that the hawtest girl I've ever had in a class was a cheerleader at Collins, so I'll take them.  Plus, Oak hasn't played since 9/1.

West Texas
Tascosa-Amarillo  They're playing this one at WTAMU's stadium, even though its capacity is about half of what venerable Dick Bivens Stadium can hold.  I assume that decision was made to minimize the exposure of the skull-fucking that the Tascosa running attack will administer to the Golden Sandies.  I'm setting the over/under on Tascosa pass attempts at 1.5.

Rider @ Stephenville  Roho comes off a killer loss to rival Lub Cooper and gets the #1 ranked team in 4A on the road.  That's a recipe for disaster.  

Bushland @ Dumas  3A Bushland has earned its #7 ranking with dominant wins over Canadian and Coleman.  Now they step up for the #8 4AD1 Dumas.  The Demons' only loss was to 5AD1 Lub Cooper, and they should have the size and depth advantage to win this one. 

Brownfield @ Littlefield  These two Lubbock-area 3A teams are both 4-0.  Brownfield has scored 190 and can really throw the ball; Littlefield has allowed only 27 points.  Both teams went 3-7 last season, so this one is big to keep momentum.  

DFW -- Jeez, what an usually terrible week:
Heath-Rockwall  Lots of great offensive football has been played in Rockwall recently.  Defense, not so much.   Both teams are 3-1, but Heath has allowed 144 points and the Orange are also allowing over 20 ppg.  Heath won this last season 79-71,  so don't be the slightest bit surprised if this is a 54-52 type of game.  

China Spring @ Parish Episcopal  CS won state in 4AD2 last season in dominating fashion and looks even better this season, beating ranked Connolly by 30 last week. Episcopal has won TAPPS state 3 years in a row, beat Aledo to open the season, and had SOC on the ropes last week before letting them back in the game and losing on a walkoff FG, so they can't be considered the underdog.

Central Texas
Brownwood @ Connolly  Both teams 3-1.  Brownwood lost their opener to Ab Wylie, but rebounded last week with a dominating D performance against ranked Glen Rose.  The Cadets have big wins over Yoe and La Vega, but got hammered by China Spring last week.   They were without their Okie State commit QB and will be missing him again, so don't expect them to beat the Lions.

Cameron Yoe @ Lorena  Yoe has dropped 2 in a row to 4A teams, and now gets defending 3A state champ Lorena in a district game. Lorena lost their opener to China Spring, but their D has improved and put on a dominating show last week against Waco La Vega.  Lorena should take this.

Coastal Bend

The biggest news out of CC is that Calallen's star RB Epi Hinojosa tore his ACL last week.  He had 1600+ rushing last season.

Shiner @ Ganado  Not sure what the UIL was thinking putting these two and Refugio in the same district, but here's the first meeting.  The 2-time defending state champion Comanches are looking kinda mortal this season without big Doug Brooks.  Ganado is 4-0, but hasn't played much of a schedule.  Shiner should roll.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 8

PSJA North up on Vela with 8 minutes left in the 4th, 21-14. I thought Vela would cakewalk here but PSJAN came to play. Their o-line is bullying the Vela d-line. North runs probably just 10 different plays but they’ve dominated TOP.

NB Canyon remembered who they were. 35-0 SV in the 3rd. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

PSJA North up on Vela with 8 minutes left in the 4th, 21-14. I thought Vela would cakewalk here but PSJAN came to play. Their o-line is bullying the Vela d-line. North runs probably just 10 different plays but they’ve dominated TOP.

NB Canyon remembered who they were. 35-0 SV in the 3rd. 

Don't you mean Pharr-San Juan-Alamo North Early College High School?  PSJANECHS

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2022 at 8:31 AM, Laga4 said:

Don’t think they will cut the halftime minutes. If you pay attention,  there are a lot of fans hit the exit  right after halftime. They have seen their little darlings do their thing and couldn’t care less about the game.  Schools and UIL don’t want to lose those people or listen to them complain if they do. 

Halftimes used to be 24 minutes (I believe). They’ve actually lengthened them and it pisses me off. 

And yeah, HS bands with electric pianos, guitars, etc. WTF?! Maybe no one else has said something, but those are not marching instruments. 

• Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Halftimes used to be 24 minutes (I believe). They’ve actually lengthened them and it pisses me off. 

And yeah, HS bands with electric pianos, guitars, etc. WTF?! Maybe no one else has said something, but those are not marching instruments. 

Would you accept a portable keyboard with a complimentary costume like so?

Piano Keyboard GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

PSJAN (christ that district needs a rebranding, Tri-City ISD or something) holds on to win 28-21. Vela’s first loss to an RGV team in 3 years. I still think Vela goes further in the playoffs though, but really an impressive showing by the Raiders.

They should build 1 more hs and name them...wait for it: Pharr, San Juan, and Alamo