2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

22 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

La Feria says move over...  We play Conjunto style in the RGV.    Love it!

This is fucking awesome.

@Armybrat must approve of the accordion.

Now I must indulge @Tex Pete and find a high school marching march band with a dhol drumline. Now that's a marching drum. Get together a troupe and it could go toe-to-toe with a HBCU marching band. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

That’s right up there with Mariache Oro from McAllen High School… 

(3rd time posting this on Surly)

I must be getting old. The fact that those children dedicated that brilliant performance to their teachers got dust up in my eyes real quick. 

Let the kids sing and play music at halftime, whether they march or not. Give them the chance to showcase their amazing talents.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

This is fucking awesome.

@Armybrat must approve of the accordion.

Now I must indulge @Tex Pete and find a high school marching march band with a dhol drumline. Now that's a marching drum. Get together a troupe and it could go toe-to-toe with a HBCU marching band. 

I will walk out on a limb. The RGV has some of the worst football, but the very best high school football culture in the state. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

La Feria says move over...  We play Conjunto style in the RGV.    Love it!

But you can definitely march with an accordion. You can't march with a tympany.

Shiner's fight song is the Shiner Song, a polka, but they play it without an accordion. Still cool. (starts at 10:01)

The real deal (starts at :39)

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/20/2022 at 3:19 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Last one I went to had more kids responsible for nothing more than moving props on and off the field than ones actually playing instruments.

Some of the kids moving props are being held in reserve because of no pass no play.  The end of the first grading period is right in the middle of marching band contest season, and inevitably some "marching" kids won't make grades and won't be able to participate.  The prop kids are moved into the show to backfill for the kid that failed.

This is one of the impacts of no pass no play.  Band directors have to figure out based on history how many kids won't make it to the end of the season and plan ahead, so not every kid gets a spot on the field at the beginning of the year.

Not saying this happens everywhere, but it does happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Aggy commit TJ Shanahan goes off on cart with what looks like knee injury 

Ever since he and his 15 yard personal fouls on each play left the game, chaps have cruised because it isn’t 3rd and 25 each time to kill the drives. 

22 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Apparently TJ Shanahan is the best Olineman in the country. Did not know that.

Not a fucking chance. If that is true, the. This must be the single worst oline class in history. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

In the same district, Brazoswood beat Clear Creek tonight. Brazoswood is now 1-0 in district and 5-0 overall. Dave Campbell projected Bwood to finish dead last in district. We'll see!

yep and they picked Dickinson to finish first.. Gators haven't been impressive this season at all

37 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Some of the kids moving props are being held in reserve because of no pass no play.  The end of the first grading period is right in the middle of marching band contest season, and inevitably some "marching" kids won't make grades and won't be able to participate.  The prop kids are moved into the show to backfill for the kid that failed.

This is one of the impacts of no pass no play.  Band directors have to figure out based on history how many kids won't make it to the end of the season and plan ahead, so not every kid gets a spot on the field at the beginning of the year.

Not saying this happens everywhere, but it does happen.

Who moves the props then?

AUS
Lake Travis @ Westlake Can you really call it a rivalry when it has been so lopsided lately?  I mean, TreatyOak hasn't even anti-weauxfed this game yet!  Westlake's last loss (in any game) was to LT in 2019 by 1 point.  The Chaps won last year 63-21, and while they're not as good, and LT has improved a little, I'd be surprised if this one is close.

The plucky little overachievers from Eanes continue to get it done, 35-20.

Dripping @ Bowie  The Drips have forcefully announced that they will have no problem in 6A, busting out to a 3-0 record by 137-27. Bowie is also 4-0, but a squeaker over a bad Anderson team (pardon the redundancy) last week makes you wonder.  Dripping big in this one.

55-7 Drips

Also news of note: Austin Eastside has cancelled this week's game because of a staph infection outbreak among the football team.  Sheesh, get your shit together, AISD!

San Antonio
New Braunfels Canyon @ Smithson Valley  NBC is maybe the best story in the whole state, as their traditionally awful program has been resurrected by Mike Adams' kids, who star at QB and WR.  SV has won the last 17 in a row against Canyon, but they are just incredibly unathletic for a good 6A program, and they'll have a lot of problems keeping up with the Adams boys TONIGHT.

*WHIFF*  35-0 SV

RGV
Vela @ PSJA North These two teams combined for 22-4 last season in 6A; they've both dropped to 5A, but are still at the top of the class of the RGV.  Vela's 50-14 opening week win marks their fewest points scored and most points allowed; overall, they're 222-34.  The PJSAN Fightin' Alphabets are also undefeated, but their resume includes a close win over a bad Laredo US team.  Vela won this 24-0 last season; expect it to be worse TONIGHT.

28-21 Alphabets.   See Helo's summary on previous page.  

East Texas
Lancaster @ Longview  The 5A #1 Lobos have not been challenged, winning 4 by 209-28.  Star WR Jalen Hale has 290 yards and 4 TDs, but he just committed to Bama, so fuck him.  Lancaster might have the D to slow him down and make this a game; Guyer hung 50 on them, but they've only allowed 1 TD in their other 3 games.  But this Lobo team is looking as good as the one that won state in 2018.  

Lancaster got a lead early, but went stale and lost 21-13.

WestOrange-Stark @ Silsbee  WOS, without legendary coach Corny Thompson for the first time since the 70s, is having trouble adjusting, losing the last two weeks to PNG and Newton.  Silsbee has looked ready to dethrone the Mustangs as top dogs in the Golden Triangle area before, notably when they upset them in the region finals in 2018 & 19.  WOS's defense used to be called the Chain Gang to honor their dominance.  That moniker is no longer used because of racial sensitivities and because they're allowing 21 ppg.  Expect this to be close, but it looks like it's Silsbee's time.

Silsbee 48-27.  Time to panic in WOS?

Houston
PNG @ FB Marshall  Saturday...Two 2-1 teams that are not only trying to establish district pecking order, but also 5AD2R3 supremacy.  PNG has rebounded from a shocking opening week blowout loss to PA Memorial, while Marshall's blemish is an OT loss to Crosby.

Klein Oak @ Collins  I honestly can't keep all the schools from Klein and Cypress straight, so I don't even try, and I really know nothing about either of these teams, other that they're both undefeated and top 20-ranked in 6A.  I do know that the hawtest girl I've ever had in a class was a cheerleader at Collins, so I'll take them.  Plus, Oak hasn't played since 9/1.

Collins 42-7

West Texas
Tascosa-Amarillo  They're playing this one at WTAMU's stadium, even though its capacity is about half of what venerable Dick Bivens Stadium can hold.  I assume that decision was made to minimize the exposure of the skull-fucking that the Tascosa running attack will administer to the Golden Sandies.  I'm setting the over/under on Tascosa pass attempts at 1.5.

Tascosa 45-10

Rider @ Stephenville  Roho comes off a killer loss to rival Lub Cooper and gets the #1 ranked team in 4A on the road.  That's a recipe for disaster.  

Roho led 21-7 after 1 and 43-31 in the 4th, but lost 43-42.

Bushland @ Dumas  3A Bushland has earned its #7 ranking with dominant wins over Canadian and Coleman.  Now they step up for the #8 4AD1 Dumas.  The Demons' only loss was to 5AD1 Lub Cooper, and they should have the size and depth advantage to win this one. 

Wow, Bushland 28-20.

Brownfield @ Littlefield  These two Lubbock-area 3A teams are both 4-0.  Brownfield has scored 190 and can really throw the ball; Littlefield has allowed only 27 points.  Both teams went 3-7 last season, so this one is big to keep momentum.  

Brownfield 28-14

DFW -- Jeez, what an usually terrible week:
Heath-Rockwall  Lots of great offensive football has been played in Rockwall recently.  Defense, not so much.   Both teams are 3-1, but Heath has allowed 144 points and the Orange are also allowing over 20 ppg.  Heath won this last season 79-71,  so don't be the slightest bit surprised if this is a 54-52 type of game.  

One team held up their part -- 56-21 Rockwall

China Spring @ Parish Episcopal  CS won state in 4AD2 last season in dominating fashion and looks even better this season, beating ranked Connolly by 30 last week. Episcopal has won TAPPS state 3 years in a row, beat Aledo to open the season, and had SOC on the ropes last week before letting them back in the game and losing on a walkoff FG, so they can't be considered the underdog.

-2 in the turnover battle dropped CS 24-16.

Central Texas
Brownwood @ Connolly  Both teams 3-1.  Brownwood lost their opener to Ab Wylie, but rebounded last week with a dominating D performance against ranked Glen Rose.  The Cadets have big wins over Yoe and La Vega, but got hammered by China Spring last week.   They were without their Okie State commit QB and will be missing him again, so don't expect them to beat the Lions.

52-21 Brownwood

Cameron Yoe @ Lorena  Yoe has dropped 2 in a row to 4A teams, and now gets defending 3A state champ Lorena in a district game. Lorena lost their opener to China Spring, but their D has improved and put on a dominating show last week against Waco La Vega.  Lorena should take this.

Yoe jumped out to 34-14 at half and held on, 48-44.

Coastal Bend

The biggest news out of CC is that Calallen's star RB Epi Hinojosa tore his ACL last week.  He had 1600+ rushing last season.

Shiner @ Ganado  Not sure what the UIL was thinking putting these two and Refugio in the same district, but here's the first meeting.  The 2-time defending state champion Comanches are looking kinda mortal this season without big Doug Brooks.  Ganado is 4-0, but hasn't played much of a schedule.  Shiner should roll.

50-12 Shiner

• Hook 'Em 5

WTF game of the night: Judson was up on Midland Leegacy 47-0… at the end of the first quarter. They got out scored 50-13 the rest of the way and the Rockets held on for a 60-50 win. 

Laredo United South hands Weslaco their first loss of the year 32-18. Pretty much everyone hates playing LUS. They’re always very scrappy, annoying, and disciplined despite having no size or real gifted players. They lost to LT in the playoffs last year and didn’t get embarrassed. They’re 1-4 this year, 3 losses by 1 score (to Flour Bluff, Boerne Champion, and PSJA North) and lost 21-7 to Harlingen in a game that was called to lightning in the 2nd quarter. LUS in the 3rd round again this year wouldnt surprise me.

Shoutout to SA Sotomayor. First win in program history tonight beating SA Holmes 14-8. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

AUS
Lake Travis @ Westlake Can you really call it a rivalry when it has been so lopsided lately?  I mean, TreatyOak hasn't even anti-weauxfed this game yet!  Westlake's last loss (in any game) was to LT in 2019 by 1 point.  The Chaps won last year 63-21, and while they're not as good, and LT has improved a little, I'd be surprised if this one is close.

The plucky little overachievers from Eanes continue to get it done, 35-20.

Dripping @ Bowie  The Drips have forcefully announced that they will have no problem in 6A, busting out to a 3-0 record by 137-27. Bowie is also 4-0, but a squeaker over a bad Anderson team (pardon the redundancy) last week makes you wonder.  Dripping big in this one.

55-7 Drips

Also news of note: Austin Eastside has cancelled this week's game because of a staph infection outbreak among the football team.  Sheesh, get your shit together, AISD!

San Antonio
New Braunfels Canyon @ Smithson Valley  NBC is maybe the best story in the whole state, as their traditionally awful program has been resurrected by Mike Adams' kids, who star at QB and WR.  SV has won the last 17 in a row against Canyon, but they are just incredibly unathletic for a good 6A program, and they'll have a lot of problems keeping up with the Adams boys TONIGHT.

*WHIFF*  35-0 SV

RGV
Vela @ PSJA North These two teams combined for 22-4 last season in 6A; they've both dropped to 5A, but are still at the top of the class of the RGV.  Vela's 50-14 opening week win marks their fewest points scored and most points allowed; overall, they're 222-34.  The PJSAN Fightin' Alphabets are also undefeated, but their resume includes a close win over a bad Laredo US team.  Vela won this 24-0 last season; expect it to be worse TONIGHT.

28-21 Alphabets.   See Helo's summary on previous page.  

East Texas
Lancaster @ Longview  The 5A #1 Lobos have not been challenged, winning 4 by 209-28.  Star WR Jalen Hale has 290 yards and 4 TDs, but he just committed to Bama, so fuck him.  Lancaster might have the D to slow him down and make this a game; Guyer hung 50 on them, but they've only allowed 1 TD in their other 3 games.  But this Lobo team is looking as good as the one that won state in 2018.  

Lancaster got a lead early, but went stale and lost 21-13.

WestOrange-Stark @ Silsbee  WOS, without legendary coach Corny Thompson for the first time since the 70s, is having trouble adjusting, losing the last two weeks to PNG and Newton.  Silsbee has looked ready to dethrone the Mustangs as top dogs in the Golden Triangle area before, notably when they upset them in the region finals in 2018 & 19.  WOS's defense used to be called the Chain Gang to honor their dominance.  That moniker is no longer used because of racial sensitivities and because they're allowing 21 ppg.  Expect this to be close, but it looks like it's Silsbee's time.

Silsbee 48-27.  Time to panic in WOS?

Houston
PNG @ FB Marshall  Saturday...Two 2-1 teams that are not only trying to establish district pecking order, but also 5AD2R3 supremacy.  PNG has rebounded from a shocking opening week blowout loss to PA Memorial, while Marshall's blemish is an OT loss to Crosby.

Klein Oak @ Collins  I honestly can't keep all the schools from Klein and Cypress straight, so I don't even try, and I really know nothing about either of these teams, other that they're both undefeated and top 20-ranked in 6A.  I do know that the hawtest girl I've ever had in a class was a cheerleader at Collins, so I'll take them.  Plus, Oak hasn't played since 9/1.

Collins 42-7

West Texas
Tascosa-Amarillo  They're playing this one at WTAMU's stadium, even though its capacity is about half of what venerable Dick Bivens Stadium can hold.  I assume that decision was made to minimize the exposure of the skull-fucking that the Tascosa running attack will administer to the Golden Sandies.  I'm setting the over/under on Tascosa pass attempts at 1.5.

Tascosa 45-10

Rider @ Stephenville  Roho comes off a killer loss to rival Lub Cooper and gets the #1 ranked team in 4A on the road.  That's a recipe for disaster.  

Roho led 21-7 after 1 and 43-31 in the 4th, but lost 43-42.

Bushland @ Dumas  3A Bushland has earned its #7 ranking with dominant wins over Canadian and Coleman.  Now they step up for the #8 4AD1 Dumas.  The Demons' only loss was to 5AD1 Lub Cooper, and they should have the size and depth advantage to win this one. 

Wow, Bushland 28-20.

Brownfield @ Littlefield  These two Lubbock-area 3A teams are both 4-0.  Brownfield has scored 190 and can really throw the ball; Littlefield has allowed only 27 points.  Both teams went 3-7 last season, so this one is big to keep momentum.  

Brownfield 28-14

DFW -- Jeez, what an usually terrible week:
Heath-Rockwall  Lots of great offensive football has been played in Rockwall recently.  Defense, not so much.   Both teams are 3-1, but Heath has allowed 144 points and the Orange are also allowing over 20 ppg.  Heath won this last season 79-71,  so don't be the slightest bit surprised if this is a 54-52 type of game.  

One team held up their part -- 56-21 Rockwall

China Spring @ Parish Episcopal  CS won state in 4AD2 last season in dominating fashion and looks even better this season, beating ranked Connolly by 30 last week. Episcopal has won TAPPS state 3 years in a row, beat Aledo to open the season, and had SOC on the ropes last week before letting them back in the game and losing on a walkoff FG, so they can't be considered the underdog.

-2 in the turnover battle dropped CS 24-16.

Central Texas
Brownwood @ Connolly  Both teams 3-1.  Brownwood lost their opener to Ab Wylie, but rebounded last week with a dominating D performance against ranked Glen Rose.  The Cadets have big wins over Yoe and La Vega, but got hammered by China Spring last week.   They were without their Okie State commit QB and will be missing him again, so don't expect them to beat the Lions.

52-21 Brownwood

Cameron Yoe @ Lorena  Yoe has dropped 2 in a row to 4A teams, and now gets defending 3A state champ Lorena in a district game. Lorena lost their opener to China Spring, but their D has improved and put on a dominating show last week against Waco La Vega.  Lorena should take this.

Yoe jumped out to 34-14 at half and held on, 48-44.

Coastal Bend

The biggest news out of CC is that Calallen's star RB Epi Hinojosa tore his ACL last week.  He had 1600+ rushing last season.

Shiner @ Ganado  Not sure what the UIL was thinking putting these two and Refugio in the same district, but here's the first meeting.  The 2-time defending state champion Comanches are looking kinda mortal this season without big Doug Brooks.  Ganado is 4-0, but hasn't played much of a schedule.  Shiner should roll.

50-12 Shiner

Thanks. I’m in NYC, so missed the Battle of MILF’s. I begged everyone at the game NOT to text me the score so I could enjoy myself, so needless to say, they sent me updates. Sigh. Glad @blacklab got to see the win. Wifey was there. She’s a MILF.