2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

Aledo wins 35-21.

21-7 half time score. Ryan made it 21-21 late in the third. Aledo scored then missed XP 27-21. Teams traded turnovers then Ryan punted Aledo all the way back to the 15. QB keeper around the corner for 85 yd TD. 35-21 final. 110 District game wining streak should have no problem making it to 111 in two weeks vs Brewer.

• Hook 'Em 3

SOUTH TEXAS

San Benito @ Harlingen  Both teams are undefeated for what they call the Battle of the Arroyo.  The rivalry is actually pretty one-sided, as Harlingen has a 72-27 all-time edge, hasn't lost the game since 2018, and won 17-0 last season.  The reason to  think it might be different this season is that the Fighting Freddy Fenders have an incredible D, which has allowed only 26 points in 7 games.  They've pitched 3 shutouts and have only given up a FG twice more.  Maybe the best game in the state this week? Part of me says, "Don't be stupid, pick the home team," but there are a lot of visitor seats in that big old stadium, too.  

Pick the home team, stupid -- 37-21 Harlingen

Shiner @ Refugio  Don't ever say the UIL doesn't have a sense of humor -- this is a district game.  Both teams started the season with an expected loss to a larger-class opponent, but have been on ridiculous rolls since -- Shiner has posted at least 7 TDs 5 games in a row; Refugio, 4.  Whatever, this game isn't all that important, as they'll likely meet again deep in the playoffs.  But I think Shiner wins this because they have shown themselves to be much more physical and more disciplined than the Bobcats in the last few years.  

Shiner led 21-19 after 3.  Refugio got two long TD runs to rally 38-27.

DFW

Allen @ Guyer  TONIGHT 6pm ON ESPN2!!!  Allen hasn't lost since the opener to a Cali team, but they nearly got tripped up by McKinney last week.  Guyer is averaging nearly 50 ppg and no one has played them to within 17 this season.  Guyer simply looks like one of the best teams in the state, while Allen only looks like a really good team.  I could be wrong, but I think Guyer wins this fairly easily.

49-7 Guyer

Aledo @ Ryan   This is maybe the first time I've ever actually wanted to be in Denton.  Ryan was shocked in its opener by New Braunfels, and lost last time out to Burleson Cent. two weeks ago.  They're having trouble with injuries on the offensive side, and now's a bad time for that as they're running into a Bearcat team that is playing PISSED OFF after 2 losses to start the season.  They beat the snot out of previously-undefeated BC last week 64-21, and have scored 257 points in just the last 4 games.  Like the previous game, this one probably won't be that close.  

Ryan held close for a half, but 35-21 Aledo, and Ryan was healthy.

Frisco Independence @ Argyle  For the 2nd week in a row, the Eagles face another new, faceless unbeaten Frisco school.  Indy's first varsity season was 2014, their mascot is the Knights, they're purple and black, and they went 3-7 last season.  And like Frisco Emerson, they will lose to an Argyle team that is just a freaking machine.

35-10 Argyle

AUSTIN

Dripping @ Lake Travis  Dripping showed themselves to be not quite ready for prime time last week, as they played Westlake pretty evenly before the game got away from them in the 4th quarter.  LT's weakness is their D, which has allowed 154 in 7 games.  You wouldn't intentionally design a schedule that has WL and LT back-to-back, but I think the Drips are good enough to get it done this week.  And there will be a lot of points scored.  

Tied at 31 late in the game, LT went for a 4th-1 on their own 34, got stuffed, and Dripping got the winning TD with 14 sec left.  38-31

Navarro @ Wimberley  Navarro has lost 3 regular season games for the first time since 2011, and their D has allowed 207 in 7 games.  Wimberley has apparently reached the level where they just reload every season, as losing their QB to transfer in July hasn't slowed them down much, thanks to a very good D and a nimble coaching staff that quickly adjusted the offense to a zone-read RPO style.  I think the Texans will win this big, but I expect them to meet again late in the playoffs.

Wimberley dominated but tripped over their dicks enough to keep suspense, 21-14 Texans.

SAN ANTONIO 

NB Canyon @ Seguin  Call this one the Travis Bush Bowl, as the Canyon head coach who is doing such a great job this season also led Seguin to their most successful season in a while in 2020.  Both teams have 1 loss, NBC's to Smithson Valley, and Seguin's to NB.  NBC plays a lot of close, high-scoring games -- 43-42, 35-32, and 44-41 wins already this season.  Seguin is similar, with 42-39 and 41-34 wins on their resume.  Expect Canyon to win another shootout.  

27-14 Canyon

CENTRAL TEXAS

Franklin @ Lorena  This is not only #1 @ #10 in a district match, it's also defending 3AD2 champs @ 3AD1 champs.   Lorena is by definition not as good as last season, as they already have losses to China Spring and Yoe.  They've gotten it going better since the Yoe game 4 weeks ago, though the defense has not been dominant.  Franklin, OTOH, just continues to Wing-T the shit out of opponents, averaging 50+ ppg and scoring 181 the last 3 games.  Franklin won this game last season 27-20, Lorena's only loss.  They look good to win again to me.

Bryson Washington with 277 on the ground and 6 TDs.  Franklin 49-35.

Lake Belton @ Midlothian   LB has the #1 recruit in the state, WR Micah Hudson.  He's averaging over 100 ypg.  If you haven't heard of LB, that's because this is their first season of district play.  They've scored 381 in 8 games, and their only loss was a 34-33 squeaker to Shoemaker.  Midlothian is undefeated and ranked #9 in 5AD1.  This is their best start to a season since 1984.   They run a flex-bone that chews up opponents and they have a stout D -- only 78 points allowed.  That should be enough to keep them undefeated.  

Midlothian rallied from 27-37 to win 39-37.

Stephenville @ CS  This is #1 @ #2 in 4AD1 and both defending state champs.  I think CS has a better team.  Stephenville just tries to outscore people, with wins so far of 49-42, 62-61, 56-49, and 43-42.  CS is ranked lower because of that loss to Parish Episcopal in week 2, but they're a more well-rounded team, with a good D and an offense than can run or pass.  I think they get it done.

Holy shit, Stephenville got a last-minute TD on a bomb and a 2-pt conversion to lead 36-35 and then CS threw a couple of long passes and booted a 42-y FG on last play to win 38-36.

West @ Grandview  Both teams are 6-1, and a little hard to read because their district contains 4 charter schools, plus hapless Maypearl, whose coach just resigned this week.  Grandview lost its season opener to 4A power Glen Rose, then handed Malakoff their only loss, and has since blitzed 5 hapless opponents by 333-21.  West lost to Lorena 21-15 in week 2.  The Trojans beat Maypearl last week 89-0; they led 55-0 after the 1st quarter thanks to 5 defensive TDs and a punt return TD; the lead was 76-0 at half.  The only 2nd half scoring was a KOR TD and a pick 6.  As usual, West tries to bully teams with a tough running game, but Grandview has a very good junior QB who also started last season, and I think he'll make the difference.

West with an impressive 38-21 win.

Granger @ Chilton  This is #9 @ #5 in 2AD2.  Chilton is undefeated, while Granger's only loss was in OT to Thorndale in week 2.  Common opponent scores are always a terrible way to compare teams, but I got nothin', soooo... Chilton beat Bremond by 11 a couple of weeks ago, while Granger edged Bremond by 3 last week.  I'd bet on the home team, but it should be a good one.

Chilton ran it up late, 34-19.

HOUSTON

Atascocita @ CE King  This seems like it's turning into the annual game for 3rd place in H-town supremacy behind North Shore and Katy.  'Cita's only loss was 35-28 to Katy in week 2; their other 6 games have been a cumulative 284-15.  King has losses to Allen and NS, but  their closest win was by 21.  Atascocita won this 42-21 in 2021.  Probably be closer this year, but Atascocita should win.

39-6 Atascocita

Cinco Ranch-Katy  Katy is too damn good (again), but let's pretend this will be close.  They're coming off a bye week, having snuffed Paetow 54-0 two weeks ago.  Cinco has a good team, but their D is weak.  They lost twice -- 40-35 to Oak and an absurd 77-63 to Morton Ranch.  Katy will grind them to a pulp and might not punt.

56-28 Katy Tigers

Klein Cain-Collins  As much as all the Klein and Cypress schools run together to me, Collins is the one standing out.  Collins is undefeated, coming off a 28-17 win over a Klein Forest team than handed Cain its only loss 20-17.  Both have tough wins over Summer Creek, so not much to separate them, including home field advantage.  Flip a coin!

Collins fumbled late and Cain got a TD under 2 minutes to win 25-21.

Galveston Ball @ Waltrip  SATURDAY  Ball beat LaMarque 49-7 in the opener, and hasn't allowed a point since.  Waltrip is 6-1, but that 1 is a 60-21 loss to Dayton.  Their D has since posted 2 shutouts and 2 more single-digit efforts.  Neither of these teams will go far in the playoffs but this should be fun, and I wouldn't bet against a D that has allowed only 7 all season, so Ball it is.  

COASTAL BEND

CC Vets-Miller     Miller is undefeated an unchallenged: 341-91 on the season.  They don't have Andrew Body from the magical 2020 playoff run, but Body's favorite target on that team is now a senior.  Vets has lost twice, by 1 to NB Canyon and in OT to El Campo, so they easily could be undefeated.  But Miller beat El Campo by 20, so I'd expect them to win a very high-scoring game in this one.

Miller led 34-23 with 2 to play, but Vets got a TD, an onside kick, and another TD to win 38-34. 

Edna @ Goliad  Edna lost to Refugio on 9/9;  they've since beaten Sinton and several severely overmatched district foes.  Goliad has lost squeakers to Poteet and Industrial, but has shown one of the better defenses in South Texas, allowing only 74 points.  But Edna beat Industrial 46-0 last week, so they win absent a letdown.

21-7 Edna

EAST TEXAS

Timpson @ Joaquin  After having only 1 winning season since 2012, the Timpson Bears are 33-2 over the past 3 years, with both losses to Shiner.  They've scored 391 in 7 games, with 40 being their lowest output.  Once-beaten Joaquin should give them their best test of the season, as the Rams are +240 in point diff.  But this group in Timpson has a lot of starters who have played since they were sophs, and they should cruise through their region again.  Timpson won 47-0 last year.  It will be closer, but not close.

Shit, it was close!  25-22 Bears.

WEST TEXAS

Shallowater @ Bushland  Bushland is 389-74 this season.  They've whipped Canadian, and they've whipped several 4A teams.  The only reason they're not ranked #1 is because Franklin is in the same division.  Shallowater has scored 134 the last two weeks and has only lost to 4A Midland Greenwood. They're good, but not nearly good enough to beat Shallowater.  

Shocker of the night here -- 40-28 Shallowater

Other fun scores: 

Westlake 7 Austin High 0

Lewisville 17 Marcus 14

Permian 42 Frenship 41 Huge rally by Mojo

Plano West 31 East 28

Georgetown 49 College Station 38

PSJAN 48 Mac Memorial 3

Sharyland 33 Mission Vets 7

Randall 31 Canyon 14

Celina 55 Carter 13

Dumas 21 Pampa 7

Gonzales 52 Smithville 44

Jasper 34 WOS 14

Waco Connally 58 Salado 35

Pleasant Grove 42 L-E 15

Jim Ned 32 Breckenridge 25

Brock 18 Paradise 13

Abernathy 24 Littlefield 0

Here are a few extra zeros just in case I left one out somewhere: 000000000000000

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Calallen 66. TooSlow Midway 0.

Gosh our district sucks. Glad at least Alice gave us a game last week.

I feel pretty good about Calallen getting to the state championship but not so good about (likely) China Spring waiting there.  Really want to see the Wildcats take home a trophy, such a great program. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I feel pretty good about Calallen getting to the state championship but not so good about (likely) China Spring waiting there.  Really want to see the Wildcats take home a trophy, such a great program. 

We came all so close against Aledo back in 2016 when everyone including myself though we’d get pounded.   Quality of competition not withstanding this year, there is something different about this team that tells me we do it this year.   Maybe it’s the offense and the fact we are probably a 60/40 run team vs a 95/5 we were then and that gives us the ability to keep defenses guessing.   

I was keeping up with the Harlingen game last night on Twitter and that place was rocking.  

7 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

RGV: Winning pre and post game meals since always. 

Hungry Drooling GIF by I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! Australia

Had a good one last night. Boling be East Bernard 3aD2. EB had no business being on the field with Boling and still pulled off the upset. This one eas not without some controversy though….

with 4 minutes left Boling is up 31-28 and forces EB to punt from their own 40. The ensuing punt is tipped and goes straight up in the air and advances only 15 yards in the air. An EB player catches the ball and tries to advance it. Refs blow it dead and bring it back… they then proceed to award EB the ball from where it was caught. I was losing my shit. 

Correct me if I’m wrong here…. But if a punt is tipped and passes the LOS the punting team can only down it? The punting team can only advance it if it’s behind the LOS and even then if they don’t make the yards to gain market it’s still a turnover? 

• Hook 'Em 3

Shallowater over Bushland was a big upset. Would love to see a rematch in the Quarterfinals.

It's always good to beat your arch-rival just 11 miles down the road. Windthorst beat Archer City 28-13 in a game that will likely decide the District Title, depending upon what Seymour has to say about it. AC already beat Seymour, and the Panthers face off against Windthorst this week. Go Blue!!!

37 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

We came all so close against Aledo back in 2016 when everyone including myself though we’d get pounded.   Quality of competition not withstanding this year, there is something different about this team that tells me we do it this year.   Maybe it’s the offense and the fact we are probably a 60/40 run team vs a 95/5 we were then and that gives us the ability to keep defenses guessing.   

I was keeping up with the Harlingen game last night on Twitter and that place was rocking.  

Hungry Drooling GIF by I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! Australia

I mean, take a look at this clip.  Sound up. This is like Hollywood produced Texas HSFB atmosphere. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Battle of the Arroyo Final

Harlingen 37

San Benito 21

Fantastic game.  HHS jumped out 17-0 but San Benito exploded and capitalized off turnovers in the 3rd to pull ahead 21-17 by mid-3rd and then went into 4th just down 24-21.  Izaiah Bell and the Cardinals’ size took over in the 4th. 

San Benito’s defense entered the contest allowing just 140.7 yards and 3.7 points per contest, including just 88.9 rushing yards against.

Harlingen High’s attack finished with 458 yards of offense and 37 points, gashing the Greyhounds’ run defense for 441 yards. Bell led the way with a game-high 288 yards and four touchdowns on 24 carries, and junior quarterback Randy Morales added 11 carries for 124 yards and one score.

Yowza.

Yeah, my LT buddy is not happy with their coaches. Offense is coming along under Mangino's kid, but the defense is awful. Coach is trying to run NFL concepts and the players are incisive and never know where they are supposed to go.  He thinks the coach is more concerned with gap control than actually tackling anyone.

8th grade football which is not necessarily the best predictor of future football success I'd rank both Dripping middle schools over the LT ones.

• Hook 'Em 1

So I admit that my view is limited to WL vs LT games but as you know WL focuses on success of the OL. They have excellent technique play low, use thier hands, make good line audibles, are prepared for stunts and hand off stunting rushers to the inside OL as well as any non P5 OL does. etc.

They just maul the LT DL and have for years.

LT DL play too high, don’t engage at the chest with thier hands, take poor first steps. They just rush or attack a space rather than reading the block or backs (in the case of the LBs) I mean it’s things that you teach in middle school.

Thier coaching is so so bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

I officiated a game last night in SA (NISD). Home team was their Homecoming game. The “visitor” started off - “bang bang” and it was 14-0 prior to midway of Q1. Home team had some good drives, plus some short field opportunities and before you know it, they were tied.

Just prior to the half, the “undermanned” home team got a pick six and had the lead! Crowd was really into the game by them!

Cooler heads prevailed and the visitor (favored team) ended up scoring a good bit of unanswered points in the 2nd half and ended up winning by 20.

Earlier in the week, the weather people said it would be a cool week temperature-wise. Man we’re they wrong! I sweated my big butt off from Thursday to this morning’s slate of two freshman games! Please Jobu - bring on the cooler weather!!!

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I officiated a game last night in SA (NISD). Home team was their Homecoming game. The “visitor” started off - “bang bang” and it was 14-0 prior to midway of Q1. Home team had some good drives, plus some short field opportunities and before you know it, they were tied.

Just prior to the half, the “undermanned” home team got a pick six and had the lead! Crowd was really into the game by them!

Cooler heads prevailed and the visitor (favored team) ended up scoring a good bit of unanswered points in the 2nd half and ended up winning by 20.

Earlier in the week, the weather people said it would be a cool week temperature-wise. Man we’re they wrong! I sweated my big butt off from Thursday to this morning’s slate of two freshman games! Please Jobu - bring on the cooler weather!!!

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Galveston Ball @ Waltrip  SATURDAY  Ball beat LaMarque 49-7 in the opener, and hasn't allowed a point since.  Waltrip is 6-1, but that 1 is a 60-21 loss to Dayton.  Their D has since posted 2 shutouts and 2 more single-digit efforts.  Neither of these teams will go far in the playoffs but this should be fun, and I wouldn't bet against a D that has allowed only 7 all season, so Ball it is.  

61-7 Ball 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Anyone here have intel on Cy Fair? Friend’s son is their QB and I see they’re having a good year but no idea the competition. 

Four of their opponents are absolutely terrible - Cy Park, Northbrook, Spring Woods, and Cy Ridge. Theee of them are district games that they have no control of, and Cy Park fell off a cliff after losing a good senior core. They will win their bi- district game against some garbage HISD team then get hammered whenever they have to play a Katy isd school. 

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/22/2022 at 11:06 AM, Beau Vine said:

Yowza.

Bell was making a name for himself since middle school, glad to see him emerge as a leader this year after his knucklehead issues the past couple years. He makes the whole team go. He’s got an offer from West Tx-A&M, or sul ross or some school out there. Hopefully he makes the most of it.

He did go to a middle school that almost entirely feeds into South, but apparently he just happened to live in the one area that feeds Harlingen high. Funny how that works out!

• Hook 'Em 1

San Marcos ruled eligible for playoffs this year, ineligible next year for some reason. Walsh suspended 5 games.

I imagine an effective “recruitment prevention plan” for them would simply involve informing prospective players that they would have to play for San Marcos HS.

3 hours ago, Helobious said:
San Marcos ruled eligible for playoffs this year, ineligible next year for some reason.

The UIL said at time it did not want to penalize the current members of the school’s football team. 

Probably because they don't think San Marcos is going to make the playoffs anyway. Currently tied for 4th and looks like the season finale will decide which team goes.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/uil-bans-san-marcos-football-from-the-2023-postseason/ar-AA13mUp5

22 hours ago, Mittens said:

Probably because they don't think San Marcos is going to make the playoffs anyway. Currently tied for 4th and looks like the season finale will decide which team goes.

SM would be favored to make the playoffs right now.  East Central is only tied because Judson had to forfeit their game because of an ineligible player; Judson won on the field 44-0.

Another pretty good, though not as good as last week, slate of games this weekend.  Most of these games will decide district titles.

HOUSTON

North Shore @ Atascocita  TONIGHT  This is #7 @ #1 in 6A.   Huge one in H-town on a Thursday night.  Both teams have been ridiculously dominant this season, with scoring diffs of 392-97 (NS) and 351-56 (A).  The only loss between the two is 'Cita's 35-28 loss to Katy on 9/2.  I don't think this is the Eagles' best team, and they've lost 4 in a row to NS, including twice last season, and none of those losses has been in the single digits.  Meanwhile, the Mustangs seem to have overcome the season-ending injury suffered by their soph QB in week 5.  But it really doesn't even matter that they're now playing a WR at QB because their defense looks better than it has in recent years.  And they won state in all those recent years.

Angleton Magnolia West   Two extremely evenly-matched 6-2 teams fighting for a title in a very good district.  Comparing scores shows less than it usually does, as Mag West lost to Fulshear and Manvel, both of whom Angleton beat, but the Wildcats lost badly to Foster, whom the Mustangs handled.  This is also the first year (in a while at least) that they're in a district together, so there's no history to speak of, either.  I'm going to lean to Mag West in this one, as their D looks a little better, they're at home, and that district could need some crazy tie-breakers if the Mustangs win.  

DFW

TC Byron Nelson @ SLC   This is #19 @ #4 in 6A.  It's ironic (dontcha think?) that a school named after a golfer is one of the highest scoring teams in the state.  Nelson's offense averages 55+ points and 590+ yards per game; and their D isn't bad, allowing only 98 points in 8 games.  But in 6 matchups, they've never gotten within 24 of SLC, never held to the Dragons under 41, and have never been in the game -- last year was 68-7.  SLC lost their QB to injury and is playing a soph, but they still have Owen Allen at RB, though it seems like he has been there about 8 years.    Nelson has made great strides as a program and one year Nelson will win this game, but not tomorrow night.  

Desoto @ Duncanville  #9 @ #3 in 6A.  Duncanville has won 4 in a row in this series, including 2 last season -- 42-21 and then 38-20 in the playoffs.  Desoto's only loss so far was to a Baltimore team that's basically a traveling all-star team.  But Duncanville seems like an all-star team themselves, and I think they win this fairly easily in front of a huge crowd.

Prosper @ Allen #11 @ #14 in 6A.  This is not the Allen team we're used to.  It seems impossible for a high school with 8K students to have a "young" football team, but many of Allen's skill position players are underclassmen.  And they were completely outclassed by Guyer last week, and struggled to put away McKinney the week prior.  Prosper has gone at least two rounds deep in the playoffs six years in a row, but haven't broken through.  Their only loss so far was by 23-6 to Guyer and they've shown an outstanding D, holding Rockwall to 11 and all 8 opponents to 97.  The Eagles got close last year, as Allen pulled off a 28-23 squeaker.  I think they get it done tomorrow.

WEST TEXAS

Tascosa @ Lubbock Cooper  Tascosa was looking like the best team in the west until they nearly slipped up and needed OT to beat Caprock last week.  Cooper is 57-8 in the last 5 seasons (4 in 5AD2), and has lost only a 36-33 shootout on 9/2 to Frenship in 5AD1; since then the D has been really good, like it usually is at Cooper.  Neither team, but especially Tascosa, wants to throw the ball, so this will be a nearly 100% ground-and-D game that should last maybe two hours.   I'll say Tascosa wins a close one.

Hawley @ Stamford  NKotB Hawley made it to Jerryworld last season and opened this one with convincing wins over powers Jim Ned, Roosevelt, Eastland, and Albany.  They have since waylaid 4 district opponents 210-20.  They are legit.  Stamford is much more the traditional power, having won state in both 2012 and 13.  They're not as good this season, which they showed in a 47-14 beatdown by Cisco in their only loss so far, and I think Hawley shuts them down.

CENTRAL TEXAS

A&M Consolidated-College Station  CS lost a lot from their state finalist team from last season, then lost their star RB to injury in the opening game.  Just when it looked like they were back and badass again, they laid a 49-38 egg against Georgetown last week.  These two programs haven't played since 2017, even though they have both been 5A.  CS won the 4 previous meetings, beginning in CS's first varsity year in 2014, so I'd attribute that absence to the chickenous nature of people associated with A&M.  I'll take the CS Cougars to bounce back in a close one.  

Yoe @ Franklin  #6 @ #1 in 3AD1... THERE WILL BE POINTS.   LOTS OF THEM.  The Yoemen subscribe to the Best D is a Good Offense theory, as their D has allowed 256, but their O has posted 388 points.  Franklin has given up nearly that many points (208), but their offense has scored 230 in only 4 district games.  If you've never seen Franklin, they run a ridiculously relentless Wing-T that just chews up opponents.  I would not be the slightest bit surprised to see a 70-something to 40-something Franklin win in this one.  

SOUTH TEXAS

Hitchcock @ Hallettsville  H-ville is not quite as stout as usual.  They've lost twice (to a FW private and by 35-13 to Columbus).  Their D is good, allowing only 103 points all season.  But Hitchcock legitimized themselves as the real deal by upsetting Columbus a couple of weeks ago.  They also have nice wins over Salado and Refugio on the resume; they have a bye next week, so this game is the only barrier to an undefeated regular season.  I think they'll get that done pretty easily.  

Sharyland-Pioneer  Best matchup in the RGV is in...uh... Mission?  Is Sharyland actually a town?  I don't know, but they apparently love reptiles, as this one is called the Snakeskin Classic, as it matches the Diamondbacks and the Rattlers.  Sharyland has won 5 of the 8 meetings in the series, including 38-10 last season.  Sharyland has rebounded from a 4-game losing streak to even up their record; they were playing some 6A schools, but you're still not supposed to lose to Brownsville Hanna.  Pioneer's losses are also to 6A teams, Laredo Alex and Ed North.   Sharyland won this easily last season, but Pioneer looks a lot better this year.  

COASTAL BEND

CC Vets @ Victoria East   East is only 4-4, but they've played a pretty tough schedule, losing to SA Taft, NB Canyon, G-P, and CC Miller; none of those look like embarrassing losses.  Vets has also lost to NBC, though only by a point, and El Campo got them in OT, so they're not far from being unbeaten.  They got a signature win 38-34 over Miller last week, and that one looks like they're rounding into the playoff form that saw them go 57-10 over the past 5 seasons.  Vets big in this one.

EAST TEXAS

Sulphur Springs @ Kaufman  Interesting game here, as SS is 7-1 after going 0-10 last season.  It looks like this is their first really good team since they won state in 2008(?) with that QB who ended up flunking out of Auburn (How is that even possible?).  Their only loss is to Hallsville, though they do have Anna next week.  Kaufman has had a good year, with losses only to Anna and 5A Crandall.  They also have a good win over Lindale, and have played a much tougher schedule.  That and them being at home should be the difference.

Whitehouse @ Texarkana   Two 7-1 teams here.  Whitehouse has only lost to Nac, while Tex lost the opener to Frisco Lone Star.  They did struggle with Nac before winning 23-20 last week, but the Texas Tigers are 30-3 since the start of 2020 and they have the home field in this one.

SAN ANTONIO

Boerne @ Somerset  Boerne looks like the only challenge for Calallen in 4AD1R4.  The Greyhounds are undefeated with a 360-112 cumulative, and nice wins over Flour Bluff, G-P, and Salado.  Somerset's non-district mainly consisted of SA creampuffs (pardon the redundancy), and they got punked for their only loss by SA Antonin Prep 45-27; Boerne beat AP by 11.  Boerne wins this and continues their march towards Calallen.

AUSTIN

Wimberley @ Lago Vista  The Vikings are playing their first season in 4A and it's going pretty damn well; they're 6-2 with losses to Yoe and Navarro, albeit both by big margins.  The Texans are undefeated and have been incredibly resilient.  They lost their QB to transfer in July, and even with a soph WR playing QB in a revamped offense, they haven't missed much of a beat.  I don't see them missing one this week, either.  

Westlake @ Bowie  TONIGHT... Yeah, these teams are a combined 15-1, but that 1 is Bowie losing to Dripping 55-7.  So the records are close, but the game won't be.  

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Sharyland isn’t a town. Overall I think it has to be the most affluent area of the RGV, popular with Mexican nationals. Lots of good people live there, but it’s also allegedly home to a few not so great people in a certain not so great line of work. Not a place I would want to spend much time in. Also I think Johnny sack said he went there if you needed any more reason to dislike it.

Did the athletes in Boerne collectively decide to say fuck Champion? They’re terrible this year, while the greyhounds have been on the rise lately. I thought Boerne would take a step back after losing that stud QB (Rashawn Galloway, who is now a catcher at Texas State) but nope. 

• Hook 'Em 1