2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

10 minutes ago, Walte464 said:

SB 19 v Taft 13

SB running back is having the game of his life tonight.

If Westlake somehow gets past New Braunfels, it's not fair that the winner of the SB v Taft game gets an extra day to prepare. True, Westlake had an extra day to prepare vs New Braunfels, I can assure you that that was unavoidable.  

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

GP-Alamo Heights @ Cuero  TONIGHT  Let's think back to the preseason, when we all laughed at AH for having 21 players suspended for buttplay hazing and then they lost to NB Canyon.  They haven't lost or scored less than 48 points in a game since.  G-P is 8-3 with losses to 4AD1 favorites Calallen and Boerne and a 34-36 loss to Flour Bluff, but they're looking like the old G-P teams more and more, especially last week when they blasted a pretty good Mission Vets team 64-6.  This is probably my top game for tonight but AH is just on such a roll that I have trouble imagining them losing.

I unfortunately watched this.  The Mules beat GP like a rented wildcat, 31-8.  AH was literally better at everything.  They're really good.

Wink-Santo @ Colorado City  TONIGHT Wink is undefeated and the pick of most of the DCTF staff to win the region.  The Wildcats average a 51-13 score on the season.  Santo's only loss was in a very good district to 10-1 Collinsville.  They're fairly low-scoring, with "only" 337 points in 11 games.  Long-ass road trip for Santo, 167 miles to CC, probably way more than they're used to.  Wink is pretty close to the epicenter of yesterday's quake, so I wonder if they got affected by that?  Gonna guess that not even an earthquake can slow down Wink, though.  

Wink 35-19.  

Other finals of interest: 

Albany 56 Muenster 10  

Pottsboro 62 Whitney 49

PL Calhoun 28 Canyon Lake 13

Brownsville Vets 74 Victoria West 59

Waskom 37 West Rusk 34  Whoops, WR threw a 20y TD pass with 0:11 left to win 41-37.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Never say that. A few years ago I think Westlake played a valley team at that shitty field in corpus. They won but lost more than a couple players to injury for the rest of they playoffs I think.

They played against Edinburg veterans and vets qb that ended up playing at Utsa got injured early in that game.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Walte464 said:

They played against Edinburg veterans and vets qb that ended up playing at Utsa got injured early in that game.

I think it was edinburg Vela actually, as Edinburg vets does not exist. None of Vela’s QBs ever went on to play at UTSA. You may be thinking of Eddie Marburger, who played for Sharyland Pioneer before UTSA but never played against Westlake. But I do think Vela’s QB got hurt that game as did one of their DBs that went on to play for Trinity. That turf was a disaster.

@Beau Vine does Navarro suck nowadays? Looks like they struggled with Bishop. Was wondering if it was the badgers turning a corner. 

@956 Worldwide  listen to my analysis, never my predictions. Warren has better athletes than Taft and their QB Antonio Meza can really sling it. Maybe the cold slows them but either way we don’t have a chance. I’m pissed I have to be in austin tomorrow night but I know my buddy from high school is going, and it sounds like a lot of other Harlingen ex-pats up here are going too. Plus we travel well. We’ll be well represented. 

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

@Beau Vine does Navarro suck nowadays? Looks like they struggled with Bishop. Was wondering if it was the badgers turning a corner. 

@956 Worldwide  listen to my analysis, never my predictions. Warren has better athletes than Taft and their QB Antonio Meza can really sling it. Maybe the cold slows them but either way we don’t have a chance. I’m pissed I have to be in austin tomorrow night but I know my buddy from high school is going, and it sounds like a lot of other Harlingen ex-pats up here are going too. Plus we travel well. We’ll be well represented. 

I am on board. The Cards have no chance, it’s gonna be a bloodbath against all those superior athletes and the long bus ride. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Brownsville vets running back Bryan Chavez finished with 451 rushing yards and 9 TDs against Victoria west last night. Pretty solid night for him.

Showing my age but I am still mystified as to what even the Victoria school board was doing when they made East and West.  The old VHS Stingarees used to be a seriously decent program. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I only remember them as the memorial vipers. Always had huge enrollments and formidable teams. But now more kids get to participate and the learning environment is probably better with 2 smaller schools. And Victoria East can now boast an NFL QB.

There used to be two schools, Victoria High (Stingarees) and Victoria Stroman (Raiders). Stroman opened to replace the old segregated high school. There were always complaints that High remained more white than Stroman. The school board combined the two schools to make Memorial then went back to two schools. 

High was a decent program, they made the semis in the 1990s. Their women’s basketball team was damn good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I really wish that these two RGV-Corpus matchups weren't at the exact same time.  

Seems like a doubleheader at the Alamodome would draw huge crowds, but the Alamodome must be booked tonight.  I see that they have this going on tomorrow:

image.png.5997e4a1b7b5072d869dde027a191b42.png

No idea what that is.  Get off my lawn!

It would suck for both groups of fans, as the RGV folks would drive right past Corpus and join with the Corpus fans to drive another two hours to San Antonio. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I really wish that these two RGV-Corpus matchups weren't at the exact same time.  

Seems like a doubleheader at the Alamodome would draw huge crowds, but the Alamodome must be booked tonight.  I see that they have this going on tomorrow:

Grupo Control is way better, I don’t care that Firme is more popular.

West/Mt Vernon should be fun. I have family in West and my cousin's son should be playing for them in a few years. Mt Vernon was too much for them last year. My folks still live in Forney so might try and make it out there tonight. Not sure the differences in the 2 teams compared to last year but West had a very hard time last year getting any thing going. They also struggled last year the week prior to the Mt Vernon matchup when they played Malakoff in Mesquite.

Does anyone keep up with 6man (1A)? My mom's alma mater Abbott Panthers have a damn good team. Wondering what their chances are to win state. They got knocked out in a close game last year in the state quarterfinals. I know nothing about 6man but kept up with their scores this year and they blew out every single team they played. Says they are ranked #2 in state, not sure who the #1 team is. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

My wife and kids speak spanish so allow me to translate

Enfiestados 

En = a

fiesta = party

tados = slang for tostada

so obviously it's a rally/party to bring the tostada back to taco bell

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Grupo Control is way better, I don’t care that Firme is more popular.

33 minutes ago, blacklab said:

My wife and kids speak spanish so allow me to translate

Enfiestados 

En = a

fiesta = party

tados = slang for tostada

so obviously it's a rally/party to bring the tostada back to taco bell

Mexican Pizza is way better, I don't care that Tostada is more popular.

lo siento por enfiestados!

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Helobious said:

Never say that. A few years ago I think Westlake played a valley team at that shitty field in corpus. They won but lost more than a couple players to injury for the rest of they playoffs I think.

That was 2018. We lost our amazing starting QB. It doomed us cause that was a really strong team (lost in the semi-finals) and we would probably would have had 4 straight championships. 

13 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Last night? Wholly shit

Yeah apparently he tied for third most single game rushing TDs in Texas high school history. From what I see the record is 11, solely held by the immortal Jiggs Ray of Pilot Point in 1937.

I think Vets runs the triple option or maybe slot T. Clearly they do it well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Beau Vine said:

Harlingen has some big dudes for an RGV team.  Not the usual 5'8" 260 lb linemen, but rather really large individuals on the Dline, particularly #92.

Yeah that’s Pedro Silguero, he’s been a stud since freshman year. Warren flexing their athletic muscles, 14-7 cards now. It’ll be a game the rest of the way. 

• Hook 'Em 1