2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

NB goes three and out again, Westlake gets down to the NB 35 but throw a pick, returned to Westlake 35. Throws a hail mary but it's picked off, but roughing the passer, NB tries a FG, it's blocked and WL comes within inches of a scoop and score. 

28-7 at the half.

Last 1:33 took about 30 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, blacklab said:

NB goes three and out again, Westlake gets down to the NB 35 but throw a pick, returned to Westlake 35. Throws a hail mary but it's picked off, but roughing the passer, NB tries a FG, it's blocked and WL comes within inches of a scoop and score. 

28-7 at the half.

Last 1:33 took about 30 minutes.

No more reps of your posts til you share the whole pic from your avatar. 

Harlingen survives the surge from SA Warren and then some. Cardinals win 39-21, and run their record to 12-0. Return to the third round for the first time since 2015.

I’m really so fucking proud of those kids. All you ever hear about when you play football down there is how you’ll never be as good as San Antonio players and that you’re wasting your time even playing. And that’s fellow RGV people telling you that. They can all shut their mouths for tonight. Shout out to San Benito for doing the same last night too.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

DFW

Arlington Martin-Lewisville  @ SMU  Martin probably wins the prize as the biggest bridesmaid in 6A.  They're good every year (they've won 9+ games in 9 of the last 12 seasons), but they always seem to get blown out by a DFW blue blood in the playoffs.  Lewisville has suddenly turned into a RB factory -- last year's starting RB is leading Oregon State in rushing, and this year's RB, junior Viron Ellison, is just as good.  Martin knocked Lewisville out of the playoffs 68-0 in 2020, but the Farmers returned the favor in this round last season, 35-18.  Weather's supposed to be nasty for this one, and that favors ground-and-pound teams, so give me Lewisville.  Plus, their water tower cracks me up every time I drive through there.

10-0 Lewisville.  Martin actually outgained the Farmers something like 239-166, but Lewisville got a long punt return to set up their TD.

Guyer-Highland Park @ Ford  Both teams are undefeated, but HP has kind of flown under the radar.  They have played a weak schedule, with Lewisville as their only really big win.  Guyer has emerged unscathed from a slate that include Aledo, Lancaster, Prosper, and Allen; the 23-6 win over Prosper was their closest game.  They look like the best team in the state, and I've said that S Peyton Bowen is the best player I've seen this year.  I want to say that this game won't be close, but HP always seems to find some magic, although they'll need a ton of it to win this one.  Game is indoors (Ford Center), so they can't even hope the weather slows down the Wildcats.

28-28 at half, 63-42 Guyer at the end.  Jackson Arnold?  19-21-223 2TD, 16-110 and 4 TD rushing.

SOC-Lovejoy @ Globe Life Saturday  What a fun matchup!  The defending state champs have allowed only 17 points since mid-September, but their offense has been kind of a train wreck, posting only 124 total yards last week.  But their defense is great -- their secondary has four D1 commits (UT, A&M, CU, and SMU).  Lovejoy counters with an offense that averages over 50 ppg, and has four D1 recrcuits at WR!  SOC beat Lovejoy 42-21 in the region finals last year.  Lovejoy's bad D has an advantage over SOC's terrible offense, so that might be enough to get them revenge.

Frisco Reedy-Lancaster @ Irving   #7 vs #4 in 5AD1.  Reedy is yet another one of those new, kinda faceless Frisco schools -- their mascot is the Lions, they're blue and green, and 2016 was their first season.  They did have an outstanding 2018 season, going 13-1 and losing a close one to Aledo in the 3rd round, and they're undefeated again this season.  Both teams post strong Ds, with Reedy only allowing 64 rushing ypg and Lancaster also under 100.  Lancaster played a much tougher schedule -- Reedy is in a huge district with all the other Frisco schools, while Lanc played SOC (21-3), Guyer (27-50) and Longview (13-21).  I'll take Lancaster in a tight one.  

Reedy rallied from 0-21 to win 30-27 in OT after a Lanc Hail Mary pass was caught OOB.

Anna-Stephenville @ Midlothian  Don't sleep on Anna -- they're 11-0, and QB Evan Bullock has 3500 yards and 51 TDs.  They've beaten Celina, Aubrey, and Decatur and cruised through district play.  Stephenville is a whole different animal, though, with all sorts of pedigree, including a 2021 state championship.  The Yellowjackets, however, have a shockingly shitty defense that has allowed 405 points scored.  They lost 38-36 to China Spring and 50-49 to Alvarado the next week.  They've had wins where they allowed 42, 49, and 61.  Tradition is really the only thing favoring the 'Jackets, and while that goes for a lot in HSFB, I think Anna outscores them.

Wild one!  Several lead changes, and Anna ends on top 33-32.

Texark Pleasant Grove-Caddo Mills SATURDAY @ Ford  CM is 11-0, but against a weaker schedule.  They won last week 69-55 against Sanger, the type of game they seem to like to play.  TPG is no longer the so-talented-it's-unfair program that they have been in the recent past, and lost to Gilmer and a 5A Louisiana team, but they're still tough and nasty enough to beat CM.

West-Mount Vernon @ Forney  This is a 3AD1R2 matchup, which I'm convinced is the toughest region in all brackets in the state.  West is 10-1 out of an excellent district, with their only loss 21-15 to defending champ Lorena in week 2.  MV is 9-2 out of one of the best districts in the whole state, with losses to Pottsboro and Winnsboro.  Defense gives an edge to West, as the Trojan D has allowed only 96 points, pitching 5 shutouts.  But MV has played 15 games 3 of the last 4 seasons, beating West 24-13 in the region finals last year, so their kids will definitely be ready.  Coin flip sez West gets revenge.

West 27-14.  Nice!

Coleman-Crawford @ Weatherford  11-0 Crawford is always good and always a team that's just tough to play against.  They've outscored opponents 503-46 and 21-6 is their closest game.  The Coleman Bluecats are really good, too -- 418-91 cumulative with losses to only undefeated Tolar and 3AD1 Llano.  Should be a real slugfest, but Crawford always seems to excel in those games.  

Crawford 34-13

HOUSTON

Woodlands-Klein Cain  @ Shenandoah  Cain is a 17-14 loss to Forest away from being undefeated.  They've been tested in a good district and have a solid non-district win over Summer Creek on the resume.  The Highlanders got blown out by North Shore in their opener, lost 14-7 to undefeated New Caney, but cruised undefeated through a weak district.  Give me Cain.  

Whiff!  62-21 Woodlands

Westfield-Collins @ Tomball  My biggest blind spot in the state is Spring schools and Klein schools, just because I have trouble telling them apart, but these two are probably the best of the bunch.  This matchup is a lot like the previous one -- Collins was tested by a good district, including their sole loss (25-21 to Cain), and has a nice non-district win over Summer Creek, while Westfield's only loss was a blowout by NS, and they beat a bunch of tomato cans in district.  I guess I should be consistent and pick Collins, but Westfield has only lost 9 games in 5 years, so who knows?  Not me, but I'm gonna lean to Collins.

Westfield 41-38  Wasn't actually that close.

Summer Creek-Shadow Creek @TDECU  I always mix these two up, so I propose a LOSER CHANGES NAME match like you might do in pro wrestling.  Summer Creek is the Bulldogs; they're only 7-4, but their losses are to Cain, Collins, NS, and Atascocita by a total of 17 points.  That may be the toughest schedule in Houston, including the Texans.  Shadow Creek is the Sharks; they're the program that went to Jerryworld in their first two seasons of existence in 5A. They're undefeated this season against a relatively weak schedule.   They're probably favored in this, but don't be the slightest bit surprised to see the Bulldogs pull it out.

36-20 Shadow Creek

College Station-Angleton @ Cypress  CS is a great story -- the defending state finalists were decimated by graduation, then lost their stud RB to a knee injury before the season, then got blitzed by Lovejoy in the opener.  But they rebounded to tie for 1st in a tough district, only losing to Georgetown.  Now they get Angleton, also 9-2, and also champs of a brutal district that went 4-0 last week.  The Wildcats lost to  undefeated Lake Creek in the opener and Foster in district.  But CS has shown more resilience than a group of 16-17 yo boys should have, so I guess I'd be stupid to pick against them.

27-20 College Station

Austin area

Lake Travis-Steele @ Pflugerville  Who knows with the Cavaliers?  These teams played in week 2 with Steele winning 35-28, but LT was decimated by injuries.  Most of those (other than the QB) have healed, but the soph QB has now played enough games to look comfortable.  The questionable LT D actually showed up big in last week's 35-10 win over big tough Round Rock, so there's a lot for Cavs fans to be optimistic about.  Steele is undefeated against a good schedule (Brennan, LT, Hutto, Midland Lee-gacy, NB, Judson).  They start quite a few sophs, including QB Chad Warner, who's really good even though he looks like this:  LT has gotten better but I don't think they're quite good enough to take out Steele.

LT jumped on them early, barely hung on, and then kicked a walkoff 35 yarder to win 24-21.

Smithson Valley-Manvel @ Bastrop  SV has rebounded from a couple of relatively mediocre years to look like a possible region favorite.  Their only loss was in week 2 to 10-1 6A Harker Heights.  They methodically punked Cedar Park 30-7 last week and have allowed only 100 total points.  They haven't seen speed like Manvel will bring; the 8-3 Mavs played in that brutal district with Angleton, so they're tested.  I'd expect back-and-forth early, with the Rangers eventually adjusting to speed and gaining control.

SV 38-28

South Texas
Good ones down here, starting with the RGV-CC 2-step Friday in Corpus:  PSJANorth-Miller and Vela-CC Vets in 5AD1.  The Fighting Alphabets are undefeated with a cumulative scoreboard of 498-93.  Miller's only loss was 38-34 to CC Vets, and they have a nice non-district win over El Campo.  They also have the best player in south Texas in WR Lonnie Adkism, and I suspect PSJAN hasn't seen anyone like him and that he'll have a big game that makes the difference in a close one.  CC Vets lost 2 of their first 3, but is undefeated since.  They're loaded with playoff experience, 67-12 record since start of 2017.  They'll face a Vela team that started the season ranked #1 in the prestigious but sporadic Helobious Poll before being shocked by PSJAN, but they have played pissed off since then, totaling 607 points on the season.  My gut says Vela wins this.  

North's 35-14 win was really impressive -- big beefy O-line that plays mean and nasty.  

GP-Alamo Heights @ Cuero  TONIGHT  Let's think back to the preseason, when we all laughed at AH for having 21 players suspended for buttplay hazing and then they lost to NB Canyon.  They haven't lost or scored less than 48 points in a game since.  G-P is 8-3 with losses to 4AD1 favorites Calallen and Boerne and a 34-36 loss to Flour Bluff, but they're looking like the old G-P teams more and more, especially last week when they blasted a pretty good Mission Vets team 64-6.  This is probably my top game for tonight but AH is just on such a roll that I have trouble imagining them losing.

31-8 AH

West Texas

Lubbock Cooper-Aledo @ Sweetwater  No strangers here, as Aledo beat LC in the state semis a couple of years ago in a controversial finish, but now Aledo's in region 1. The Bearcats started 0-2, but have been ridiculously dominant since, scoring 480 in 9 straight wins.  Also 9-2, Cooper thrives on old-school defensive-oriented games;   they've only scored 312 all season, and have won games by scores of 17-14, 11-8, and 15-14.  They're going to have to hold down Aledo to those types of numbers to win, but I don't see that happening.

Aledo 45-21

Tascosa-Burlington Centennial @ WF Another matchup from the same two districts as above.  Tascosa's only loss was 14-13 to 6A Permian; BC's only loss was 64-21 to Aledo.  Both of these teams want to do nothing but run the ball, so this game might finish in under 2 hours.  Tascosa beat 5-6 BC 28-24 last season in this round.  I've been touting Tascosa all season, but BC's 56-28 win over a very good Lake Belton team last week really impressed me, so I'll go with the BC Spartans in a close one. 

31-7 BC.  That is impressive.

Bushland-Jim Ned @ Lubbock  Jim Ned started the season 0-3, but those three teams are currently 31-1, and the Indians haven't lost since.  Bushland looked like maybe the best team in west Texas after an 8-0 start, but then lost to Shallowater; they've won the last two by 117-18.  I watched some of their game last week and the word that came to mind was "bludgeon."  Big O-line, fast and shifty RBs, and that's how you win playoff games, especially in cold, windy Lubbock.  

28-10 Bushland

Cisco-Stratford @Woodrow  GoogleMaps tells me that Woodrow is a suburb of Lubbock, and the site of Lubbock Cooper.  That's a good place for a huge matchup of traditional west Texas powers.  The Elks are the defending state champs and have won 23 in a row.  Cisco is 9-2 with only 3-point losses to 8-3 3A Breckenridge and #1 Hawley.  It's a shame they're meeting in the 2nd round, as this is a very even matchup between two great teams.  Like I said above, in cold, windy Lubbock, go with the team with the bigger, more badass O-line, and that's Stratford.  

14-8 Cisco.  Watched some.  Rock fight.

Wink-Santo @ Colorado City  TONIGHT Wink is undefeated and the pick of most of the DCTF staff to win the region.  The Wildcats average a 51-13 score on the season.  Santo's only loss was in a very good district to 10-1 Collinsville.  They're fairly low-scoring, with "only" 337 points in 11 games.  Long-ass road trip for Santo, 167 miles to CC, probably way more than they're used to.  Wink is pretty close to the epicenter of yesterday's quake, so I wonder if they got affected by that?  Gonna guess that not even an earthquake can slow down Wink, though.  

East Texas

Malakoff-Winnsboro @ Tyler  Two 10-1 teams.  Malakoff's only loss was 21-17 to Grandview.  Winnsboro's only loss was 36-35 to Pottsboro.  Very even matchup again that should be happening later in the playoffs.  Winnsboro has probably played a tougher schedule, but Malakoff has more playoff experience and I think that may be the difference.

Malakoff 55-10  Jeez!

Other scores:

Argyle 7 Roho 0  Argyle had 84 yards passing

Melissa 42 Ennis 38  Melissa blew a 28-10 lead.

Vandy 37 Judson 7

Tomball 16 New Caney 15  NC had been undefeated.

Fulshear 50 A&M Consol 38

Longview 38  Lone Star 17

PNG 24 LBJ 19

Boerne 50 Pleasanton 21

Celina 34 Kennedale 28

Calallen 22 Davenport 14

Kilgore 34 El Campo 20

Madisonville 9  Bellville 3  Big upset.

Cuero 41 Sealy 18

Lago Vista 42 Sinton 7  HOLY SHIT!!!

Jarrell 35  Port Isabel 21   So all 4 teams in the 4AD2R4 semifinals are from the same district.

Llano 21 Goliad 0

Shiner 47 Mason 21

Price Carlisle 40 Wortham 36

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

200.gif

but seriously props to Coach Searcy in his 1st season back home at Gainesville. Nobody in town thought they’d make anything, according to my dad. Go Big Red!
Still remember the year after I graduated Forney, we played Gainesville in the state quarterfinals at Texas Stadium. Forney still had a pretty good team and dominated early and then Gainesville took over and won. Believe they went to win state against Everman.

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Harlingen survives the surge from SA Warren and then some. Cardinals win 39-21, and run their record to 12-0. Return to the third round for the first time since 2015.

I’m really so fucking proud of those kids. All you ever hear about when you play football down there is how you’ll never be as good as San Antonio players and that you’re wasting your time even playing. And that’s fellow RGV people telling you that. They can all shut their mouths for tonight. Shout out to San Benito for doing the same last night too.

For decades I’ve watched as the best RGV teams lost against San Antonio area teams that were not better teams.  The game was over at the whistle as they laid down to a team with 1-2 talents like they haven’t seen (like that Taft RB) or folded and gave up at adversity (running through RGV competition didn’t help). Yesterday Harlingen and San Benito just went and beat SA teams that are not as good as them. There’s usually going to be an actual talent advantage against SA but Gomez and Gomez don’t let their teams get beat by area codes.  Next week (Westlake and Dripping) will be a different thing entirely. Those are two of the best teams in the state.

How about R4 5A D1. There will be an RGV team in the regional final. I think PSJAN is now the favorite to advance. Brownsville Vets put together, quietly, one of the most memorable Brownsville seasons ever and McHi hung around all season then got hot. Give me CC Vets over McHi, PSJAN over Bville Vets in a rare all-RGV third round game. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 2

Did not realize that Dripping Springs still needs to play SA Brandeis. They should get past them, but Brandeis has put together another quietly strong season. I’d rather the Cards get them than Novosad and crew but either game will have us as the clear ‘dog.

I hope Gomez chooses neutral site. Concur with the poster who mentioned CC Buc stadium, it’s a grand old dame of a Texas football palace. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Froze my nuts watching Calallen and Davenport slug it out.  Calallen basically Wing T’ed the whole game.  Kind of weird because this was literally the first time all season we did that.    Davenport is future powerhouse in the making up there in the Comal ISD/ New Braunfels area.   They will certainly be in 5A next realignment.   

Man PSJA North and Harlingen went to town last night. 

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Did not realize that Dripping Springs still needs to play SA Brandeis. They should get past them, but Brandeis has put together another quietly strong season. I’d rather the Cards get them than Novosad and crew but either game will have us as the clear ‘dog.

I hope Gomez chooses neutral site. Concur with the poster who mentioned CC Buc stadium, it’s a grand old dame of a Texas football palace. 

Valley teams need to quit differing to playing in San Antonio to try to play in the Alamodome.   Make them travel.   That’s bothered me forever.

On 10/23/2022 at 3:20 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

Four of their opponents are absolutely terrible - Cy Park, Northbrook, Spring Woods, and Cy Ridge. Theee of them are district games that they have no control of, and Cy Park fell off a cliff after losing a good senior core. They will win their bi- district game against some garbage HISD team then get hammered whenever they have to play a Katy isd school. 

Annnd you were right. Not a hammering, but Cinco Ranch won 13-10 on a walk-off field goal. 

nobody hates on people from the valley quite like other people from the valley. (From Brownsville-I can say it)
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Valley teams need to quit differing to playing in San Antonio to try to play in the Alamodome.   Make them travel.   That’s bothered me forever.

Westlake-San Benito next Saturday at Alamo Stadium

Desoto and Duncanville are both playing in Pflugerville next weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

39 minutes ago, Chango said:

nobody hates on people from the valley quite like other people from the valley. (From Brownsville-I can say it)

Well, although one thing that’s gonna be different with this many teams playing at Thanksgiving— it’s a pretty longstanding tradition for football fans from up and down the Valley to go watch and support the last team standing. 

This year, you’ve got Brownsville, McAllen, and the Tri-Cities all with a squad. And you’ve got both Harlingen and San Benito, likely the most die-hard fan bases as well. 

San Benito needs to go for home and home. There won’t be a bigger underdog in 6a next week. The beating will be the same in Austin, San Antonio, or Corpus. Pull out all the stops, make the Chaps come all the way south and play in front of the madhouse of Bobby Morrow stadium (where they’ll still lose 9.5/10 times the game is played). 

Edit— dammit, looks like the rock pile in San Antonio. Well, Greyhounds, you had a great year and you lost to Harlingen, congrats all around. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Fudbelty said:

Second round isn’t fully over but how in the fuck does a team in the third round get a home game. Aledo vs Midlothian is at Midlothian ISD stadium.

I looked this up.  Each team designates their “home” stadium and neutral stadium. Then you do two flips—- the first, if there’s a debate between flipping for home/home or neutral/neutral.  The second for the actual site. 

By third round most coaches don’t want to risk playing a real road game and they go straight to flipping for the neutral site. . But there are times it makes sense. 

As I said above— San Benito has nothing to lose and needs everything and then some against Westlake.  I’d be asking to do that first flip with the chance at a home game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Helobious said:

Congrats on the win.  RGV is bringing some heat.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Second round isn’t fully over but how in the fuck does a team in the third round get a home game. Aledo vs Midlothian is at Midlothian ISD stadium.

Came to a coin toss after not finding an agreeable neutral site. Definitely would have preferred an indoor site. I’ll be there freezing my ass off.

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
15 hours ago, Pancho said:
200.gif

but seriously props to Coach Searcy in his 1st season back home at Gainesville. Nobody in town thought they’d make anything, according to my dad. Go Big Red!

Still remember the year after I graduated Forney, we played Gainesville in the state quarterfinals at Texas Stadium. Forney still had a pretty good team and dominated early and then Gainesville took over and won. Believe they went to win state against Everman.

2003? No sir, we beat the fighting Jordan Shipley and Stephen McGee Burnet team for the state title. I drove up from Austin to watch, and I remember everyone already writing down Burnet as the state champs. 

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

2003? No sir, we beat the fighting Jordan Shipley and Stephen McGee Burnet team for the state title. I drove up from Austin to watch, and I remember everyone already writing down Burnet as the state champs. 

That was a legit upset.  Burnet was #1 all season, and they had this black kid at RB/LB who was a better HS player than both Shipley and McGee.  

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

That was a legit upset.  Burnet was #1 all season, and they had this black kid at RB/LB who was a better HS player than both Shipley and McGee.  

Oh I agree. Gainesville had nothing to lose. We didn’t start well and I remember sitting in the crowd getting mad every time the announcer said “NOTHING” when announcing the score and we had 0 points. 

Game was great