2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

19 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Valley teams need to quit differing to playing in San Antonio to try to play in the Alamodome.   Make them travel.   That’s bothered me forever.

Well, shit. Harlingen vs Dripping Springs in the Alamodome.

Lets have Austin Novosad drive down the road and throw the ball in climate control. Yeah, that’s the ticket. 

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Well, shit. Harlingen vs Dripping Springs in the Alamodome.

Lets have Austin Novosad drive down the road and throw the ball in climate control. Yeah, that’s the ticket. 

I’m surprised they are allowing this game to be played at the Alamodome since UTSA plays the next day at 2:30 against UTEP.   Maybe the 11 AM start gives them slack they need to comply with the 24 hour window the stadium has to be available for the visiting team to use for a walk through.  

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I’m surprised they are allowing this game to be played at the Alamodome since UTSA plays the next day at 2:30 against UTEP.   Maybe the 11 AM start gives them slack they need to comply with the 24 hour window the stadium has to be available for the visiting team to use for a walk through.  

San Benito v Westlake is at 2pm after the Harlingen game on Friday.

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

@TreatyOak @blacklab is Dripping springs more of a one man show or is the whole team very good? Do you think Novosad might give our secondary of Rodriguez, Castillo, Vasquez, and Deur some problems? 

Whole team is good. Stout defense, good OL, and a few seaky good skill position players. Gave Westlake their toughest game in a while till Novosad fell apart in the second half. After that game I thought they would make at least the final 4 for 6AD2 and make a game against whoever comes out of Houston.

Novosad is super streaky. Looks like an NFL player on a drive dropping dimes and then will look like a 7th grade B team backup the next. Threw 3 strait interceptions against Westlake in the second half that were all both horrible choices and horrible throws. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

@TreatyOak @blacklab is Dripping springs more of a one man show or is the whole team very good? Do you think Novosad might give our secondary of Rodriguez, Castillo, Vasquez, and Deur some problems? 

@blacklab summed Dripping up well. They remind me of a mini-Westlake. Defense is tight and they had several sacks on Westlake. We moved the ball well on them but they stopped us several times on their goal line, forcing us to settle for field goals. (and they blocked one)

Their running backs were nothing special against us, but one of them ran all over Lake Travis. Novosad, as Blacklab mentioned, has a great arm but can play erratically. After  a slow start, he played a terrific game vs LT.

I didn't think too much of Vandergrift or their QB last year, and we rolled them 70-7 in the quarterfinals. I think much more of this Dripping Springs team. I see them as a quarterfinalist or semi-finalist this season.   

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Walte464 said:

San Benito v Westlake is at 2pm after the Harlingen game on Friday.

I want Thomas J Henry law firm to have an injunction issued against the San Benito/Westlake game. It's very biased against Westlake for two key reasons. San Benito has had an extra day to prepare, which is patently unfair. True, we had an extra day to prepare vs both of our two playoff opponents, but those were due to weather issues, as opposed to this unsporting gamesmanship.

However, the main reason is that the game is being held in San Antonio, which is blatantly biased towards teams from the RGV. San Benito will be welcomed at restaurants and the Mercado by locals who will be rooting for the plucky underdog, while anyone with a Westlake sticker on their car will be met with cold stares, and unkind comments. 

The game should be held in a suburb of Austin, albeit one that is south of the city. Additionally, San Benito should be forced to exercise energetically for at least three hours prior to kickoff to eliminate to the unfair advantage cited in paragraph one.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

22 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago, but this region bracket is incredible:
image.thumb.png.cbaeb7cab242be670755af92f88456ca.png

Friday night they'll be dressed to kill 
Down at Dino's Bar & Grill 
The drink will flow and the blood will spill 
And if the boys wanna fight you 
better let 'em

Edited by cafe society

there are some good games in the Austin area this weekend..........

Liberty Hill (11-1) vs. SA Alamo Heights (11-1), 1:30 p.m. Friday at Bastrop’s Memorial Stadium

Columbus (11-1) vs. Cameron Yoe (9-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Bastrop’s Memorial Stadium

Duncanville (11-0) vs. The Woodlands (10-2), 3 p.m. Saturday at Pflugerville’s The Pfield

Waxahachie (10-2) vs. Spring Westfield (11-1), 2 p.m. Saturday at Hutto’s Memorial Stadium

DeSoto (10-2) vs. Tomball (8-4), 4 p.m. Friday at Pflugerville’s The Pfield

Wimberley (12-0) vs. Jarrell (6-6), 6 p.m. Friday at Cedar Park’s Gupton Stadium

Lago Vista (9-3) vs. Geronimo Navarro (8-4), 1:30 p.m. Friday at Hutto’s Memorial Stadium

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hpara759 said:

there are some good games in the Austin area this weekend..........

Liberty Hill (11-1) vs. SA Alamo Heights (11-1), 1:30 p.m. Friday at Bastrop’s Memorial Stadium

Columbus (11-1) vs. Cameron Yoe (9-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Bastrop’s Memorial Stadium

Duncanville (11-0) vs. The Woodlands (10-2), 3 p.m. Saturday at Pflugerville’s The Pfield

Waxahachie (10-2) vs. Spring Westfield (11-1), 2 p.m. Saturday at Hutto’s Memorial Stadium

DeSoto (10-2) vs. Tomball (8-4), 4 p.m. Friday at Pflugerville’s The Pfield

Wimberley (12-0) vs. Jarrell (6-6), 6 p.m. Friday at Cedar Park’s Gupton Stadium

Lago Vista (9-3) vs. Geronimo Navarro (8-4), 1:30 p.m. Friday at Hutto’s Memorial Stadium

Fulshear (11-1) vs. Smithson Valley (11-1), 1 p.m. Friday at Seguin’s Matador Stadium

Also, we're now on Tuesday of the regional semifinals week, and DCTF has not posted any playoffs content since Wednesday of last week.  It's incredible how Tepper and friends have destroyed that brand.

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I saw where Anton head coach/athletic director died last week as well (in his sleep)     Littlefield/ Anton  12 miles apart....somebody check the water

Anton ISD football coach found unresponsive in home, school district confirms (everythinglubbock.com)

Edited by Hpara759

39 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

I saw where Anton head coach/athletic director died last week as well (in his sleep)     Littlefield/ Anton  12 miles apart....somebody check the water

Anton ISD football coach found unresponsive in home, school district confirms (everythinglubbock.com)

Damn that's awful 

3 hours ago, Hpara759 said:

Dammit,  can't get it to load, help?

3 hours ago, Hpara759 said:

There is no water...

( RIP to both of them!  That's a big impact on 2 small communities.)

Damn Beau.

Yeoman's work there.  Labor of love!

On the Windthorst-Collinsville game, I was guessing Decatur or Springtown for the site, but fuck Decatur.

Edited by slorch

I’m formally dubbing them “Ale Aparicio & The Alphabets”. Catchy, progressive, memorable. 

SA Harlan will probably lose but they have the weapons on offense to make it interesting vs Vandy. RB Jacob Gonzales is a speedster with over 2000 total yards and 31 TDs this year. Their WR Isaiah Manchester can take the top off a D too. No homo. Pulling for them and Brennan in addition to the Cards & SB of course.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’m formally dubbing them “Ale Aparicio & The Alphabets”. Catchy, progressive, memorable. 

I *LOVE* that.  I am angry that I didn't think of it myself.

SA Harlan will probably lose but they have the weapons on offense to make it interesting vs Vandy.

Vandy will score about 70 on them.  Not joking.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

here's 4000+ words about EVERY game this week:

I read this and get all excited that he’s going to preview the Westlake game as I know nothing about our opponent, and get this:

Mudhole 

Beau you are a gentleman and a saint. Thanks for all the other write ups. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I read this and get all excited that he’s going to preview the Westlake game as I know nothing about our opponent, and get this:

Mudhole 

The heart & soul of the SB program is their 5’6 junior running back Fabian Garcia. He runs like every carry is his last one and the team goes as he goes. I don’t know how he compares to Austin competition, probably poorly. However it’s not everyday a valley kid runs for 300 yards in one game against a San Antonio school, which is what he did last week:

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, blacklab said:

Mudhole 

I’ve cheered SB on all season as I’m an alumni, i will not be following this game. I was a senior during the smithson valley season when went 12-0 and met SV in the Alamodome and lost 51-0 while 5-6 of our seniors were either knocked out of the game or were ambulanced to the closest hospital, i don’t expect much different in this game. QB doesn’t have an arm and Colton vasek is going to have the game of his life.

BB972EE6-A323-49A4-833F-576F7FDA7155.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

The heart & soul of the SB program is their 5’6 junior running back Fabian Garcia. He runs like every carry is his last one and the team goes as he goes. I don’t know how he compares to Austin competition, probably poorly. However it’s not everyday a valley kid runs for 300 yards in one game against a San Antonio school, which is what he did last week:

The thought of a midget running back running wild over a team from Austin is just ridiculous.  Only in a UT alums worst nightmare could that even be possible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Walte464 said:

I’ve cheered SB on all season as I’m an alumni, i will not be following this game. I was a senior during the smithson valley season when went 12-0 and met SV in the Alamodome and lost 51-0 while 5-6 of our seniors were either knocked out of the game or were ambulanced to the closest hospital, i don’t expect much different in this game. QB doesn’t have an arm and Colton vasek is going to have the game of his life.

BB972EE6-A323-49A4-833F-576F7FDA7155.jpeg

Damn I was actually at that game, 2006 I think. SB probably had 8000 fans there, side was filled.

I wonder if that Villagran kid regrets transferring to Judson this year. He actually did have an arm. Had he stayed he would’ve played more, won more games, and been in the playoffs longer than what he ended up doing at Judson. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Westlake weakness are thier CBs. Especially the one on the left side who NB threw at repeatedly (denim Collins).  He is young and sloppy.  

SB isn’t going to be able to exploit that. North Shore will.  

North shore is playing a WR at QB. Their starter got hurt. There’s no one that can stop Westlake this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

North shore is playing a WR at QB. Their starter got hurt. There’s no one that can stop Westlake this year.

My kids at at WL. I’m certainly a fan. But this is by far the weakest team in 4-5 years. Land is a nice kid but not accurate. The OL is not near as strong as it has been (especially at GCG) and the CB deficiencies are hidden by a 6’4” freak safety and a good pass rush.

They may win, but if NS is going to win this is the year.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Thanks @Beau Vine as always for the best post of the week. My rundown of the valley games:

-  Harlingen is unusually big for a valley team and Gomez is not new to this level of playoffs. But Novosad isn’t just the best Harlingen has seen, he’s one of the best players in the state and Dripping has played by far the tougher schedule. The Alamodome is not the place for Harlingen to upset. I don’t think it will be particularly close but Harlingen might hang around for a half if they catch a few breaks. 

- San Benito doesn’t have a prayer against Westlake.  I think the SB Gomez is going to have them much better prepped than in 2006. They play solid, disciplined football so it won’t be a 51-0 bloodbath but Westlake just wins this easily. 

- McHi goes down and I don’t think it will be very close, they got some lucky breaks and should be happy to be playing. 

- Completely agree with your assessment of PSJAN and Vets. But it’s been a special year for Vets and this is something to build on. I think PSJAN and CC Vets next week will be one of the more fun games in the state.  And a real chance for an RGV team in the semis….….…

….. that said, this has to come with a pretty big asterisk due to realignment and a really weak region IV in 5a. PSJN has a road to the semis without ever playing a team from “El Norte” (CC and Coastal Bend doesn’t really count). Stack them against other great RGV playoff runs (1989 Harlingen is still the best overall team for my money with wins over CC Carroll, SA Marshall, and Austin LBJ until running into Judson) but also teams like 1990 Mission or a number of seriously good Port Isabel teams in the 1990s and 2000s (1994 Tarpons beat Orange Grove, Carrizo Springs, advanced on penetrations over Cuero, beat Bandera, and finally went down to that great Sealy dynasty)— and you realize what a gift it is to be playing a Brownsville team in R3.

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Helobious said:

c0f5129d-2e81-4f07-a0e2-b97eb445025e_text.gif

14 hours ago, Helobious said:

Doesn't take him long to get through the hole when he sees it. 

12 hours ago, Helobious said:

Last week vs dickinson, North Shore struggled throwing the ball.. but they are so good running the ball.. they also have this tall, big kid who looks like a TE.. He rotated with the QB and was able to wildcat the gators to death.

• Hook 'Em 1