2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

16 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

My kids at at WL. I’m certainly a fan. But this is by far the weakest team in 4-5 years. Land is a nice kid but not accurate. The OL is not near as strong as it has been (especially at GCG) and the CB deficiencies are hidden by a 6’4” freak safety and a good pass rush.

They may win, but if NS is going to win this is the year.

Yes I agree.  Paxton Land isn’t as accurate as I’d like, but he is a nice kid.  How do you think this team compares to 2019?

Yes I agree.  Paxton Land isn’t as accurate as I’d like, but he is a nice kid.  How do you think this team compares to 2019?

Similar problems for different reason. Anderson was an excellent runner and a meh passer. Plus Anderson got hurt and Micheaux wasn’t ready. So the offense had fits and starts.

Land can’t run like he could though. Land is more like Micheaux but not near as accurate.

Also in 2019 The foundation of the great OL and DL over the next 3 years were starting to show. I think that OL was better than this one.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/23/2022 at 7:21 PM, Helobious said:

The heart & soul of the SB program is their 5’6 junior running back Fabian Garcia. He runs like every carry is his last one and the team goes as he goes. I don’t know how he compares to Austin competition, probably poorly. However it’s not everyday a valley kid runs for 300 yards in one game against a San Antonio school, which is what he did last week:

There aren't many things my football heart loves more than short tailbacks.  Get in behind big Olinemen and LBs and DBs can't find him and then boom he's gone.  Be still my heart

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Similar problems for different reason. Anderson was an excellent runner and a meh passer. Plus Anderson got hurt and Micheaux wasn’t ready. So the offense had fits and starts.

Land can’t run like he could though. Land is more like Micheaux but not near as accurate.

Also in 2019 The foundation of the great OL and DL over the next 3 years were starting to show. I think that OL was better than this one.

I think it was 2018 when Anderson got hurt.   2019 Dodge rotated three QBs before settling on Michaux.

• Hook 'Em 1

Harlingen vs. Dripping Springs kicks off in about an hour and can be streamed on the HCISD YouTube channel. 

Super proud of this team and also want to acknowledge Manny Gomez. In 15 years he is 134-40 at Harlingen with 12 district titles, six trips of three rounds or deeper in the playoffs, and four undefeated regular seasons.

That’s a remarkable record of success, despite not winning the big one— not every program is created equal and it’s hard to imagine doing more than with what he has. Also my freshman team position coach way back in 1996 and a graduate of HHS himself. 

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Harlingen looks pretty overmatched but they’re not backing down. 7-0 Dripping springs at beginning of 2nd quarter. 

Dripping has a lot more length in the secondary and some rangy linebackers that cover a lot of ground. Very much just pushing us around on defense, but a fumble and a couple big defensive plays have us in the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Smithson Valley 31 Fulshear 13  Rangers will get CS-Gtown winner

Grandview 29 Pottsboro 7

King 38-21 over Hightower to get a rematch with Katy.

Kilgore 63 Lindale 37

Lago Vista 27-7 over Navarro.

Wall 30 Idalou 0  That might be a season high in points for the Hawks.

Harmony 38 West Rusk 35 in a pretty big upset.

Collinsville 32 Windthorst 28

Cisco 33 New Deal 14

Holliday remains unbeaten, 17-14 over Bells.  They'll get Gunter next, who blitzed unbeaten Palmer 40-6.

Liberty Hill rallied from 12 down to beat Alamo Heights 37-32/

Brock-Bushland is a barnburner if you've got NFHS.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Midlothian Heritage lost to SOC 33-27 in OT.  Back and forth game with no lead greater than 7 all game.  Even though I'm a MH fan, I was watching Malik Muhammad and Billy Walton pretty closely.  Malik got beat a couple times but for the most part held down the WR on his side.  Billy Walton looked pretty solid, as SOC's d-line was in the backfield on every pass it seemed.  The biggest stud on the field was SOC's Jamyri Cauley.  He caught anything that was thrown his way.  I had never heard of him, but it turns out he's a top 300 player nationally.  Of course I don't really follow recruiting, so fuck me I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

38 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

What a game. Thought the missed xp was going to cost us.

Can’t make some of the mistakes Midlothian made and expect to win this deep in the playoffs. They are a good team, but are still learning how to win. Aledo has that knowledge in its bones ha. 

4 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Westlake won 44-7 I believe

Despite the hopelessly biased San Antonio crowd, officials, announcers, law enforcement, etc, Westlake was able to squeak out the win. Arriving at the game, hapless Westlake fans were told that there was no parking available, and families had to park across a busy freeway, and were forced to run for their lives, while San Benito fans tailgated outside the stadium. The game was marred by the passive-aggressive stadium announcer comments like, “the player ran faster than cars move in Austin traffic,” and, “the quarterback was knocked out the way partygoers get rolled on 6th street.” When we complained, we were told by stadium officials to, “grow a pair,” and “go complain to Elon Musk.” I’m not sure why San Antonians hate Austinites so much, but our gallant teams shouldn’t ever be forced to play in such a hostile environment again. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Can’t make some of the mistakes Midlothian made and expect to win this deep in the playoffs. They are a good team, but are still learning how to win. Aledo has that knowledge in its bones ha. 

Not sure how true it is but supposedly the four teams in our pod agreed to play next Saturday at the Star in Frisco.

Not sure how true it is but supposedly the four teams in our pod agreed to play next Saturday at the Star in Frisco.

If DCTF is right it’ll be Aledo v Centenniel

Despite the hopelessly biased San Antonio crowd, officials, announcers, law enforcement, etc, Westlake was able to squeak out the win. Arriving at the game, hapless Westlake fans were told that there was no parking available, and families had to park across a busy freeway, and were forced to run for their lives, while San Benito fans tailgated outside the stadium. The game was marred by the passive-aggressive stadium announcer comments like, “the player ran faster than cars move in Austin traffic,” and, “the quarterback was knocked out the way partygoers get rolled on 6th street.” When we complained, we were told by stadium officials to, “grow a pair,” and “go complain to Elon Musk.” I’m not sure why San Antonians hate Austinites so much, but our gallant teams shouldn’t ever be forced to play in such a hostile environment again. 

I think it’s a Westlake thing. We have won 3 in a row afterall. Like 2 posts above yours is someone calling out a win against LT is good for SA.

The football parents at WL annoy me but I like most of the kids a lot. Many of them are friends with my daughters.

Generally we cheer for the kids and ignore the goings on everywhere else. I sympathize with the SA community a bit here.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Calallen vs Boerne High for the Region title next Friday at Alamo Stadium.  

I don’t care if it’s cold as fuck.   But please no more fricken rain.   Three consecutive Fridays of sitting in that shit is no bueno.    

Username something,  something...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Calallen vs Boerne High for the Region title next Friday at Alamo Stadium.  

I don’t care if it’s cold as fuck.   But please no more fricken rain.   Three consecutive Fridays of sitting in that shit is no bueno.    

Rooting hard for the Wildcats in this one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I think it’s a Westlake thing. We have won 3 in a row afterall. Like 2 posts above yours is someone calling out a win against LT is good for SA.

The football parents at WL annoy me but I like most of the kids a lot. Many of them are friends with my daughters.

Generally we cheer for the kids and ignore the goings on everywhere else. I sympathize with the SA community a bit here.

To be clear, my Chaps’ posts are mostly pure jest. I’ve gotten into the habit of writing them this way to entertain myself and readers. We also have deep connections to the program (hence my wife receives a state ring when we win) and as people who experienced the lean years under the former coaches, we’re enjoying every minute of this unforgettable run. Glad you are a part of this group.  

• Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

SA Brennan beats Lake Travis 34-17. I know LT isn’t what they normally are but that’s a gigantic monkey off SA’s back.

Helobious, you predicted before the season that Brennan had the best chance of beating Westlake, thanks to their outstanding quarterback, (and perhaps his brother). Your prediction has come true to some extent, as they are amongst the last teams standing. As people and myself have written here, Westlake isn’t quite as dominant this year. Can you give us Austinites a scouting report on Brennan? 

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

Helobious, you predicted before the season that Brennan had the best chance of beating Westlake, thanks to their outstanding quarterback, (and perhaps his brother). Your prediction has come true to some extent, as they are amongst the last teams standing. As people and myself have written here, Westlake isn’t quite as dominant this year. Can you give us Austinites a scouting report on Brennan? 

Dubose twins. They love to sling the ball around but the QB is still a very capable runner. He’s just a pass first kind of guy. Defense is pretty good as they have a safety Tyler Turner committed to Oregon. They have a receiver named Armando Acevedo, he’s 6’6” and qualified for state in the high jump last year. He’s not their main target but in my opinion he can be one of the most dangerous weapons in the entire state given his skillset. They have a short little receiver (Carter I think?) that they love throwing to a lot too. 

• Hook 'Em 3