2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

16 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Would’ve never guessed Wimberley has only been around since 1988. Guess all those kids had to go to San Marcos before then. 

Hays.  

I really cannot imagine how dangerous that road (3237/150) between Wimberley and Kyle was back in those days with high school students driving it.  

DMN has a long article about future realignment, and pretty much every coach they interviewed has stated that they think the UIL will add a 7A soon, which won't actually fix the "Allen Problem."  Aledo's coach suggested adding an 8A, which is basically what Oklahoma and Arkansas do, where only the largest 16 schools are in the top class, and 12 make the playoffs.  
Here's DMN's 8A with the largest 32 programs:
GMZPPLOXMVBJPB62X7CMVZ2JRM.jpg

Part of a really good and comprehensive series about what the booming population growth will mean for HS sports.
  • Hook 'Em 2

^^^^^^^^^

BTW, I'm trying to figure out what all the logos are for the DFW and especially Houston in that graphic...

DFW:

Allen, Plano (?), Plano West, Plano East (?), Dunc, Skyline (?)

Lewisville, Coppell, Arlington Sam Houston (?), Marcus?, Trinity

Hebron, South GP, Flower Mound

Houston:

No idea, North Shore, Woodlands, Elsik, Deer Park, no idea

no idea, Atascocita, Dobie, Macarthur

Oak, Collins, Dickinson

Are they going to let those racist png indianettes perform at half time ?

you know what’s hot, 38 yo divorced milf png mom that fits into her daughter’s indianette outfit and does the dance for you. And I mean very hot, should have taken pics. No panties 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

^^^^^^^^^

BTW, I'm trying to figure out what all the logos are for the DFW and especially Houston in that graphic...

DFW:

Houston:

Oak, Collins, Dickinson

Think you nailed DFW. Your missing H-town schools in order are Conroe, Alief Hastings, and Klein Cain.

Fun fact Hastings and Elsik are located right next to each other on one huge city block. I think high school kids in the district are randomly assigned to each school.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

^^^^^^^^^

DFW:

Houston:

Oak, Collins, Dickinson

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Think you nailed DFW. Your missing H-town schools in order are Conroe, Alief Hastings, and Klein Cain.

Fun fact Hastings and Elsik are located right next to each other on one huge city block. I think high school kids in the district are randomly assigned to each school.

I think where @Beau Vine listed Marcus is actually Arlington Martin, no? That looks like their logo (but in red) whereas Marcus has a different logo. Other than that, I'm pretty lost on a lot of these too.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Actually the Houston bottom middle is Katy Seven Lakes, not Klein Collins.  

7 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

I think where @Beau Vine listed Marcus is actually Arlington Martin, no? That looks like their logo (but in red) whereas Marcus has a different logo. Other than that, I'm pretty lost on a lot of these too.

Yeah, that’s Arlington Martin, no idea why they put it in red, but given the context, that’s definitely them.

7 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

I think you're right.  Having a red logo threw me off, since Martin football has gone black and silver exclusively:

EixThe6WkAEqHl_.jpg

Also kind of shocking how bad some of those programs are, and not just talking about the Plano schools.  Elsik and Hastings went 1-9 this year.  Arlington SH went 0-10.  

25 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Travel for the non-DFW and non-Houston schools would be brutal.

For that to be workable I think the largest division would have to have only Houston and DFW schools.  The others would have to stay in local districts even if they should be big enough for the top division.

So the Austin, Odessa, and Laredo schools are in their own district?

Looking outside Texas

In a state that had 1,253 football-playing schools this year, Buchanan would like to see Texas adopt a model similar to what Oklahoma and Arkansas use. Oklahoma has 335 football-playing schools and Arkansas has 209, but both have only the largest 16 schools that compete in their top classification/division, with 12 making the playoffs.

Bobby Swofford, assistant executive director for the Arkansas Activities Association, said that setup has been used since 2007. Arkansas went to that format because its largest 7A schools have enrollments of about 2,300, and the 32nd-largest school in the state has about 600 students.

UIL deputy executive director Jamey Harrison said in July that adding a Class 7A is something that “we will always be looking at,” but it may not happen by the next realignment in two years.

“It’s really a math problem,” Harrison said. “Currently in 5A and 6A there are about 500 schools in those two conferences combined. You have to ask how few schools can we have in a conference and make it work geographically and make it a legitimate conference.

“The smallest [classification] we have is 4A in terms of number of schools, and that’s in the mid-190s. So if you think 200 times three — 7A, 6A and 5A — you’re going to need about 600 schools to make it work. We know we have 500, but where is that other 100 going to come from?”

Using Buchanan’s suggestion, a Class 8A would start with Allen and go down to Dickinson, which had the 32nd-highest enrollment for the UIL’s realignment in February at 3,580.5. The 32 largest schools in the state include 14 from the Dallas area and 13 from the Houston area. The only problem is that the other five schools are spread out, with two in the Austin area, two in Odessa and one in Laredo.

But that might not be the case in 2032, as more boomtowns pop up in the suburbs around Dallas and Houston. Celina and Anna could be competing in the highest classification by then, even though both are currently 4A schools.

Several coaches who responded to a survey by The News had thoughts similar to Buchanan’s.

“The UIL should adopt a 7A for the 2026 realignment. Maybe the top 32 [schools],” Frisco coach Jeff Harbert said. “The growth of our state dictates a larger classification to greater equalize the playing field. There is a great deal of difference between a 2,300 6A school and a 6A school with 4,000 to 4,500 kids.

“I’d say schools with 3,500 and up are in 7A, then 3,499 to 2,225 would be 6A.”

Eight years ago, Oklahoma had its largest 32 schools competing in one division. The decision was then made to split those up into two 6A divisions of 16 schools each.

“I think if you polled the 16 bottom schools, they would think it’s the greatest thing that has ever happened in the history of mankind,” said Mike Whaley, associate director for the Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association. “But I don’t know that you would get that from everybody else.”

The change was made because Jenks and Tulsa Union combined to win 18 consecutive state titles when Oklahoma’s 6A didn’t have two divisions. Since the change, six different schools have won state in 6A.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, DigDug said:

Desoto starting running back Deondre Riden, who ran for over 200 yards against Guyer, was hurt late in that game.  
Not sure his status, but it should open the door for Tre Wisner to get some significant time.

Damn, I first read that as "sharting running back".

45 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Damn, I first read that as "sharting running back".

I was in attendance at the Boston Marathon one year and the lead lady was running by at mile 20.  She was South Korean which uses that marathon as a qualifier for the olympics.  Long story short, she had clearly shat herself in spectacular fashion and kept going.  If you don't have that kind of dedication GTFO.

19 hours ago, Helobious said:

Helo Redemption week:

6AD1: NS beats Duncanville. Fully believe in Amador the Matador 

6AD2: Desoto beats Vandy. Too explosive on offense.

5AD1: Aledo beats CS, cause they’re Aledo. 

5AD2: PNG beats SOC like 14-7. SOC turnovers doom them. Also seems unwise to pick against a team with a Vietnamese running back.

4AD1: Boerne beats China spring. Greyhound destiny

4AD2: Carthage beats Wimberley, because they’re Carthage 

3AD1: Brock beats Franklin in an upset.

3AD2: Poth beats Gunter, region 4 rise up

2AD1: Refugio beats Hawthorne, south Texas power baby

2AD2: Mart beats Albany. I’ve heard of Mart before

1AD1: Abbott beats Westbrook. I have never heard of these towns/schools in my life 

1AD2: Loraine beats Benjamin. I have never heard of these towns/schools in my life.

Pulling for Boerne.  That's where the middle daughter and family live and they are HUGE fans.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Scholz said:

I was in attendance at the Boston Marathon one year and the lead lady was running by at mile 20.  She was South Korean which uses that marathon as a qualifier for the olympics.  Long story short, she had clearly shat herself in spectacular fashion and kept going.  If you don't have that kind of dedication GTFO.

Mentioned it before, but I once took a shit in the ditch across the street from Wellesley College during the race.  The previous year, I basically taught myself to just piss my shorts without breaking stride, but no way was I going to shit my pants.  

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I remember that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexPx said:

Looking outside Texas

In a state that had 1,253 football-playing schools this year, Buchanan would like to see Texas adopt a model similar to what Oklahoma and Arkansas use. Oklahoma has 335 football-playing schools and Arkansas has 209, but both have only the largest 16 schools that compete in their top classification/division, with 12 making the playoffs.

Bobby Swofford, assistant executive director for the Arkansas Activities Association, said that setup has been used since 2007. Arkansas went to that format because its largest 7A schools have enrollments of about 2,300, and the 32nd-largest school in the state has about 600 students.

UIL deputy executive director Jamey Harrison said in July that adding a Class 7A is something that “we will always be looking at,” but it may not happen by the next realignment in two years.

“It’s really a math problem,” Harrison said. “Currently in 5A and 6A there are about 500 schools in those two conferences combined. You have to ask how few schools can we have in a conference and make it work geographically and make it a legitimate conference.

“The smallest [classification] we have is 4A in terms of number of schools, and that’s in the mid-190s. So if you think 200 times three — 7A, 6A and 5A — you’re going to need about 600 schools to make it work. We know we have 500, but where is that other 100 going to come from?”

Using Buchanan’s suggestion, a Class 8A would start with Allen and go down to Dickinson, which had the 32nd-highest enrollment for the UIL’s realignment in February at 3,580.5. The 32 largest schools in the state include 14 from the Dallas area and 13 from the Houston area. The only problem is that the other five schools are spread out, with two in the Austin area, two in Odessa and one in Laredo.

But that might not be the case in 2032, as more boomtowns pop up in the suburbs around Dallas and Houston. Celina and Anna could be competing in the highest classification by then, even though both are currently 4A schools.

Several coaches who responded to a survey by The News had thoughts similar to Buchanan’s.

“The UIL should adopt a 7A for the 2026 realignment. Maybe the top 32 [schools],” Frisco coach Jeff Harbert said. “The growth of our state dictates a larger classification to greater equalize the playing field. There is a great deal of difference between a 2,300 6A school and a 6A school with 4,000 to 4,500 kids.

“I’d say schools with 3,500 and up are in 7A, then 3,499 to 2,225 would be 6A.”

Eight years ago, Oklahoma had its largest 32 schools competing in one division. The decision was then made to split those up into two 6A divisions of 16 schools each.

“I think if you polled the 16 bottom schools, they would think it’s the greatest thing that has ever happened in the history of mankind,” said Mike Whaley, associate director for the Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association. “But I don’t know that you would get that from everybody else.”

The change was made because Jenks and Tulsa Union combined to win 18 consecutive state titles when Oklahoma’s 6A didn’t have two divisions. Since the change, six different schools have won state in 6A.

So those Oklahoma schools only have to be the best out of 16 to call themselves state champs?  How Oklahoma of them.

• Rage+1 1

When Tim Buchanan graduated from high school in 1979, the University Interscholastic League had six classifications for football — Class 4A through Class B for the 11-man game and another classification for six-man.

Nothing has changed today except for the names of the classifications — 6A through 1A — and the fact that there are now split divisions within those classifications.

That’s despite the fact that Texas has grown from a population of 13.8 million in 1979 to an estimated 29.9 million in 2022. That number should grow to more than 35 million by 2032, according to projections by the Texas Demographic Center. But will the UIL have stepped out of its comfort zone and created a Class 7A or even an 8A?

“We haven’t added a classification [since the early 1970s], and we’ve doubled the population of the state of Texas in that time,” Buchanan said. “Adding classifications is way overdue in Texas. I think we should have added a couple of them a long time ago.”

Buchanan has had plenty of success in the current format, winning seven state titles as the head coach at Aledo. His Class 5A school has won 10 state titles in all — most in UIL history — but he doesn’t like a system where enrollments for Class 6A schools range from 2,225 (Garland Naaman Forest) to 7,102 (Allen).

To take its place, he proposes something radical.

“The largest 32 schools should be in an 8A class,” Buchanan said. “That would leave a little over 1,200 schools to make up seven classifications. This would put approximately 172 schools per classification. The current average number of schools per division in classes 1A to 5A is 99.”

Texas is a giant state that covers nearly 270,000 square miles, so travel is always a concern when looking for new ways to realign schools. Buchanan’s plan could help solve those issues, as most of the state’s largest schools reside in two major metropolitan areas — Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston.

As The Dallas Morning News projects the landscape of D-FW high school football in 2032, it is important to note that many coaches would like to see change. They want a more even playing field, one where schools aren’t competing against opponents two and three times their size.

They are tired of David vs. Goliath matchups.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, TexPx said:

When Tim Buchanan graduated from high school in 1979, the University Interscholastic League had six classifications for football — Class 4A through Class B for the 11-man game and another classification for six-man.

Nothing has changed today except for the names of the classifications — 6A through 1A — and the fact that there are now split divisions within those classifications.

Split divisions matter a lot here though, especially since every classification except for 6A does the split before the season now.  It’s the same as having another classification, this argument is over semantics at this point.

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Are they going to let those racist png indianettes perform at half time ?

you know what’s hot, 38 yo divorced milf png mom that fits into her daughter’s indianette outfit and does the dance for you. And I mean very hot, should have taken pics. No panties 

What the fuck?  That happened in Texas just ten years ago?  IS that fucking real or some non-sanctioned performative nationalist rally?  That is so fucked up on so many levels.  But yeah, it's librarians giving kids books to read is the biggest fucking issue in our state.  I forget the window into the soul of Texas is a more rural lens.  

14 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

What the fuck?  That happened in Texas just ten years ago?  IS that fucking real or some non-sanctioned performative nationalist rally?  That is so fucked up on so many levels.  But yeah, it's librarians giving kids books to read is the biggest fucking issue in our state.  I forget the window into the soul of Texas is a more rural lens.  

They performed at Disney this year. It went over GREAT.

https://abc13.com/port-neches-grove-high-school-mascot-indians-indianettes-drill-team/11677211/

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

there’s a LARGE sign outside the high school and stadium ‘Welcome to the Reservation’ 

to be fair, Disney didn’t let them wear the headdress 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

ARLINGTON UPDATE: Hi everyone. I'm doing much better and everything is good and we got everything worked out. I'm in Arlington at an undisclosed location and I have to keep this brief so the police, the hospital or my family can't trace my IP address. I am getting ready for the Westlake/Duncanville game and waiting for the Westlake fans to start getting to town to attend the victory parties. I do feel bad about my unfortunate incident last Saturday following our victory over North Shore, and I hope the First Responders are recovering nicely. That should have been handled differently and the restraints have left some nasty bruising on my arms and legs. 

Duncanville is a great team, so Westlake needs to get up on them early, but I think we can do it. Go Chaps, go! Go Chaps, go! Go Chaps go! Touchdown! Touchdown!!! Go Chaps go! Go Chaps, go! Go Chaps, go! Go Chaps go! Touchdown! Touchdown!!! Go Chaps go!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2