2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

On 12/13/2022 at 11:38 PM, Helobious said:

A lot of people in here are going to look dumb when I go 7-5 or something actually reasonable in my picks. Pulling an 0-fer back to back weeks should be mathematically impossible.

You went 3-9, which if you reverse the results is actually very respectable. 

• Like 1

D'ville proved once again that the game of football is won or lost on the line of scrimmage.  I know fans of the ping pong offenses don't want to hear it, but it's true and I for one love it.  That's the first time in forever I've seen North Shore's offensive line get whooped.  D'ville's defensive line is probably one of the best ever.

• Hook 'Em 4

I don't know Coach Samples or Rashaad but I'm a coaches son.  I know what it's like to be at heartbreaking losses. Games you never get over.  I know what it's like to hug your dad when his team came up just a little short and know they he may not ever get back. I'm really happy for both of them you could tell Rashaad was a wreck during the game. Been there. Being in a coaches family is tough

• Hook 'Em 7

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Combining my semifinal & state predictions I went 5-16. I don’t know that I’ve ever done that bad at anything. 

That ain't shit compared with your baseball takes.

2 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

For this year anyway just use a map and pick the team that is farthest north.   I think you would go something like 11-1. 

Yep, Regions 3 and 4 combined only had one champion, Franklin, who won on a last second field goal.

9 of the 12 champions came out of Region 2.

The other 2 out of Region 1 were Aledo and Hawley.

12 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

this

i want to know how helobious feels about the playoff semis

Ohio state - Michigan part 2 electric boogaloo. Ryan day exorcises his big game demon and upsets Georgia. Bulldogs have not faced an offense anywhere close to as explosive as Ohio states. I think the bucks win the rematch with Mich, super close game.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Ohio state - Michigan part 2 electric boogaloo. Ryan day exorcises his big game demon and upsets Georgia. Bulldogs have not faced an offense anywhere close to as explosive as Ohio states. I think the bucks win the rematch with Mich, super close game.

fuck it's going to be UGA vs TCU.. and he of course will pick UGA so TCU wins it all... 

On 12/18/2022 at 8:56 AM, Doc Daneeka said:

2C403472-D05E-4A23-9A42-264C711DDAFC.jpeg

Credit to the Northern teams this year.  Very lopsided.  I say this every year, but it's nice to play all the championships at home.  I know this triggers some folks on here, but would be nice to move the final games around the state.  ....and I live in Highland Park, by the way, so not a homer for GHA, Austin/San Antonio or the RGV.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Credit to the Northern teams this year.  Very lopsided.  I say this every year, but it's nice to play all the championships at home.  I know this triggers some folks on here, but would be nice to move the final games around the state.  ....and I live in Highland Park, by the way, so not a homer for GHA, Austin/San Antonio or the RGV.

I think you’d have a better argument for this if the games weren’t mostly blowouts.

Aledo-College Station could’ve been played on the moon, that result was not changing.

• Hook 'Em 1

What part of they’ve tried moving it different places like SA and Houston and it fucking bombed did you miss?
  • Hook 'Em 1

I went to games at Jerryworld and the Alamodome on back-to-back weekends, and it really dawned on me how much of a shitshow having it in SA would be.  

There's simply not enough concourse space to have 15K people change places with 15K other people between games for one thing.  And those lower level sections that Jerryworld dedicates to fans of the current game couldn't be replicated in SA or Houston.  

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 2

I’m actually not against the games moving around, I just know it’s not happening and here is why:.

The mistake that forced the University Interscholastic League's 2015 state football championships to find a 
new home turned out to be a costly one.

Records obtained by the Dallas Morning News show that the UIL was charged nearly a half-million dollars for use of Houston's NRG Stadium for the three-day event. The contract shows that SMG, the manager of NRG Park (which is owned and leased by Harris County), charged the UIL a usage fee of $495,000.

For perspective, in the league's 2014 agreement with Cowboys Stadium L.P., the UIL was charged $150,000 for four days at AT&T Stadium; the 2015 six-man state championships were moved from the central site location back to Abilene's Shotwell Stadium, after a conflict with the Houston Texans' schedule.

Even when factoring in a "ticket sales bonus" in the AT&T Stadium agreement, charging 10 percent of gross revenues if ticket sales hit certain benchmarks, the change in venue was net loss for the league.

Further compounding the UIL's loss was poor attendance in Houston. Final attendance figures showed that crowds were down 94,509 over the three-day event, from 250,652 in 2014 to 156,413 in 2015.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

There's simply not enough concourse space to have 15K people change places with 15K other people between games for one thing.  And those lower level sections that Jerryworld dedicates to fans of the current game couldn't be replicated in SA or Houston.  

Wonder if it was designed  with that in mind?  If so,  pretty smart,  and I hate saying that about goober Jones.  

It really does work well.  

23 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I went to games at Jerryworld and the Alamodome on back-to-back weekends, and it really dawned on me how much of a shitshow having it in SA would be.  

Now see this is true. I've said many times that the Alamodome is my favorite stadium to watch a football game in. Every seat I've ever had has had a great view. But changing out for three games in a day would be a total nightmare both inside and out. 

Edited by Huckleberry

I think a lot of the logistics involves teams throughout the state for lodging the night prior to the game. You have to have a town that roughly half the fans participating would like decent and close proximity to the venue lodging, that so helps those book a nights stay. Just my opinion, but that leaves Jerry World or SA for that option, especially that time of the year.

It’s not so much the venue, but everything considering the attendance/crowds that play into the deciding factors.

Hook’em!!!

Just now, msucolt45 said:

I think a lot of the logistics involves teams throughout the state for lodging the night prior to the game. You have to have a town that roughly half the fans participating would like decent and close proximity to the venue lodging, that so helps those book a nights stay. Just my opinion, but that leaves Jerry World or SA for that option, especially that time of the year.

It’s not so much the venue, but everything considering the attendance/crowds that play into the deciding factors.

Hook’em!!!

The one year they had them in Houston it was dog shit. Jerry world is the best indoor stadium in the state. 

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Now see this is true. I've said many times that the Alamodome is my favorite stadium to watch a football game in. Every seat I've ever had has had a great view. But changing out for three games in a day would be a total nightmare both inside and out. 

You would have to space the game time out a little further.    I do think it's a crap sandwich as it is for the lower class teams from 3A on down having to play on Wednesday  and with that, sometimes starting at 11 AM.    They are smaller schools which means even if given Friday or Saturday time slots,  their crowds are going to be smaller than the larger schools.  But they would have more of their own fan bases in attendance which is part of the whole attraction of having at Jerryworld.

If we add a classification or two like the DMN article a few pages back suggest might be in the cards, and even the UIL acknowledges looking at least one,  it may force the Einsteins at the UIL to consider splitting the championship weekend into two consecutive weekends.     This would eliminate the mid-week games if you did something like this.

First  weekend

Six Man Div 1 D11 and 2A-D1  Thursday    

2A D2, 3A D1, 3D2   Friday 

4A D1, 4A D2 Saturday

Second Weekend

5A D1, 5A D2 Friday

6A D1, 6A D2,  7A Saturday.

First weekend kickoffs for the first games on Thursday and Friday at 1PM  with final game Kickoff at 8PM .    Because attendance is lower in these games, the turnaround to clear the stands and field  for the next game is short.    Saturday  go for a 1PM and 6PM kickoff

Second weekend is much easier for times,    I'd move the Friday kickoff for the first game to 3 or 4PM which would allow most fanbases even from points way south/north(if in SA)  to get there without having to go up the night before.  Second game for Friday kickoff at 8.   Saturday games I'd push the first game back to 12 or 1PM with the last starting at 8PM.  Again this gives the fan bases which are mostly from the Houston, Austin or DFW areas for this game plenty of time even if playing the first game to get to Arlington (or even San Antonio)  without a stayover the night before.   

13 hours ago, WBT said:

What was wrong with agreed to neutral site or flip, like every other round?

It worked well for almost the entire existence of the UIL sponsoring football championships until Fox Sports SW now Bally and the UIL/Jerryworld came up with the current situation.   Texas was probably the only state that didn’t have a central location for football championships and for good reason.  The vast majority of the rest of the states are much smaller geographically which makes a trip to predetermined venue shorter vs Texas.   Of course thanks to population density and the such, not many teams from far West Texas, the Panahandle or south of San Antonio make it the ‘ships.     But when they do, it’s an eight to ten hour drive for all involved to play a team who might be located within an hour of Jerryworld.    How in the world is that a good thing year after year to have the DFW schools with a built in home field advantage while others have to load up charter buses with only partial reimbursement from thr UIL for team expenses only?    Also they get to play in a stadium where they might have played regular season games or playoff games multiple times where the other team might have never stepped foot inside an indoor stadium.   See Aledo and Highland Park for evidence of this over the years.  

At least the neutral site thing equalized the expense and the wear and tear on the teams  with having to travel somewhat.   I remember the days when DKR and Baylor were popular locations for the ‘ships because they were pretty much as close as you could get for a major venue in a central area.   I even went to a ‘ship game in Collie Station between a Sinton and Everman  in 2001 because it was a halfway point. Weather be damned and that’s the way it should be and it worked until the above parties got involved.  Now they won’t even think about moving it to somewhere like DKR or Waco even or a rotation basis because of the lack of a roof.  Somewhere we lost our testicles and became weather weenies.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

Ballys wouldn't be able to broadcast them all, and they paid UIL for the right to do so.  It was probably in their agreement.

I think they could certainly do it now thanks the steaming option or the fact the ‘ships are shown from start to finish on their alternative channel to free the other channel for the regional sports that are still going on like the Mavs and Spurs.   The days of the large production studios needed to be at a venue days in advance are gone to and a production quality product can easily be done.   Some of the games might not be what we have now, but adequate enough.   Better than radio or a tape delay type broadcast.  

5 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

It worked well for almost the entire existence of the UIL sponsoring football championships until Fox Sports SW now Bally and the UIL/Jerryworld came up with the current situation.   Texas was probably the only state that didn’t have a central location for football championships and for good reason.  The vast majority of the rest of the states are much smaller geographically which makes a trip to predetermined venue shorter vs Texas.   Of course thanks to population density and the such, not many teams from far West Texas, the Panahandle or south of San Antonio make it the ‘ships.     But when they do, it’s an eight to ten hour drive for all involved to play a team who might be located within an hour of Jerryworld.    How in the world is that a good thing year after year to have the DFW schools with a built in home field advantage while others have to load up charter buses with only partial reimbursement from thr UIL for team expenses only?    Also they get to play in a stadium where they might have played regular season games or playoff games multiple times where the other team might have never stepped foot inside an indoor stadium.   See Aledo and Highland Park for evidence of this over the years.  

At least the neutral site thing equalized the expense and the wear and tear on the teams  with having to travel somewhat.   I remember the days when DKR and Baylor were popular locations for the ‘ships because they were pretty much as close as you could get for a major venue in a central area.   I even went to a ‘ship game in Collie Station between a Sinton and Everman  in 2001 because it was a halfway point. Weather be damned and that’s the way it should be and it worked until the above parties got involved.  Now they won’t even think about moving it to somewhere like DKR or Waco even or a rotation basis because of the lack of a roof.  Somewhere we lost our testicles and became weather weenies.  

Bally's spokesman has responded 

VzmbB1ASVrLPJrQS.jpg_large.jpg

Edited by Dennis Taylor

6 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I envy all that time you saved typing 'ship(s) repeatedly instead of typing out the entire word.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BROWNSVILLE -- Brownsville ISD announced Thursday that Brownsville Veterans Memorial Athletic Director and Head Football Coach Kelley Lee has resigned. Lee will return to Eastern New Mexico University where he served as the head football coach for four seasons before joining Brownsville Veterans in 2021. 

Lee led the Brownsville Veterans Memorial Chargers to a 10-win season in 2022, matching 2017's total for the most wins in program history, but in 2022 the Chargers finished as Area champions and hosted a regional quarterfinal meeting with PSJA North. The deepest the Chargers have gone in the playoffs.

Lee joined the Chargers in 2021 and went 17-7 as the head football coach. In 2022 the Chargers finished the season as tri-district champions in District 16-5A DI. Lee's slot-t offense amassed 6,479 yards of total offense in one of the most successful seasons in the program's 13-year history. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...