2022 Little League Thread of Dominance

BrazilHorn

My turn.
I haven't posted on here in a while, I usually post on my social media feeds but wanted to jump in here since you guys do a great job with your sons and teams. We finished our regular season over the weekend at Oaks Dad's Club in Houston, our last year of coach pitch. I was the head coach for my son's team, really since he's started playing, and it's been an absolute joy thus far. We went undefeated over the season, finishing 10-0 in the regular season and then sweeping through the playoffs going 4-0, to bring us to 14-0. I know it's all subjective but there is some really good talent in our division and league, in general. Some videos of my son's ABs over the weekend I thought I would share. He was one of the best players out there but really turned in on in the playoffs. In 4 games he went:
13-13
3 1Bs
6 2Bs
1 3B
3 HRs (all over the fence). It was amazing to see his teammates and families rally behind him and all the little kiddos on the team, as a coach I hope I can show them how to play baseball and enjoy it so they want to come back the next year. It's something that I don't take for granted, I know you guys who coach and work with your kids probably feel the same way. Anyway, hats off to all the boys and dads and families playing baseball - it's the best fucking sport in the world.
[/url]  

What age group is this? Field we play on for 8U has fences that are probably 220. Played on a field at Baseball USA (houston) couple weeks ago with 175. Kids hitting home runs over the fence is awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright. LL All Stars play started yesterday for Western Hills Vs Northwest 

Your WHLL All Stars won 6-1. Next game Monday night. 

Last year of LL for my son so savoring the journey. 

Good luck to all those on All Stars or City League teams. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Alright. LL All Stars play started yesterday for Western Hills Vs Northwest 
Your WHLL All Stars won 6-1. Next game Monday night. 

Last year of LL for my son so savoring the journey. 

Good luck to all those on All Stars or City League teams. 

Enjoy it for what it is. Win or lose. Take in the sights and smells and just the general feel of baseball.

Mine missed out on his due to Covid cancellation.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Enjoy it for what it is. Win or lose. Take in the sights and smells and just the general feel of baseball.

Mine missed out on his due to Covid cancellation.

Este.

It doesn't get better than Litte League All Stars.

11 hours ago, FigurelliPwC said:

The boys played great all the way through he lineup…Missed you at the celebration dinner afterwards.  Get ready to set up the bar in Brenham!

I was watching on GC - just a total ass kicking. Kids hit top to bottom and played great defense. I vote we stay in Katy as there is jack shit in Bellville and Katy is ~39 mins away. All things being equal I'd stay downtown Houston at the Marriott with rooftop lazy river and go to a Astros game if people were down for it.

6 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

For anyone in Houston, the space cowboys offer a baseball buddies deal. Your youth team can take the field with the team before the game. Also get a shirt and bag. Heck of a deal. 20220626_011045.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks. We are planning to take team to game on 4th as we have games on 3rd/5th in Bellville. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alright - team still alive after losing opener in a 6th inning heartbreaker. 
Won last night vs Harvey Bryan and then tonight boys face Lufkin after Lufkin lost in a shocker 1-0 to Columbus. 

Team had a great 4th at the Marriott DT Houston, had a blast at the Astros game with that game ending in a Astros win via walkoff HR. 
Then to cap it off Malcolm Butler was sitting by us later at pool and spent time chatting with boys/took pictures etc. He was super cool to do that. 

Fingers crossed boys get the W tonight and stay alive. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, F250 said:

Well, how did it turn out?

Boys ended up 3rd in sectionals. Had bad game vs Lufkin and lost 8-4. 
Was bummer but fun run and bright side is State is in Tyler and I can only imagine how grossly hot/humid that is currently. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I love LL All Stars but glad I wasn't involved this summer due to the heat. I coached All Stars during the 2011 heatwave and that was a beating.

I checked the state tournament brackets and Abilene Wiley is representing Texas West.

El Campo and Pearland play tonight. El Campo needs to win twice to take the Texas East title.

9 minutes ago, F250 said:

I love LL All Stars but glad I wasn't involved this summer due to the heat. I coached All Stars during the 2011 heatwave and that was a beating.

I checked the state tournament brackets and Abilene Wiley is representing Texas West.

El Campo and Pearland play tonight. El Campo needs to win twice to take the Texas East title.

Our kids just had a couple key mistakes at bad times in that Lufkin game. Really a bummer. I am going to miss LL but also I am happy that it is over for me. Especially all of the post season tournament BS with bat checks and coaches not being able to throw a ball with a kid etc etc Just so silly and LL is driving kids to select with some of the bureaucratic nonsense.

17 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Our kids just had a couple key mistakes at bad times in that Lufkin game. Really a bummer. I am going to miss LL but also I am happy that it is over for me. Especially all of the post season tournament BS with bat checks and coaches not being able to throw a ball with a kid etc etc Just so silly and LL is driving kids to select with some of the bureaucratic nonsense.

Those rules apply to all LL games but usually don't get enforced until All Stars which catches people off guard. The bat check isn't unique to LL. They were common in select when bats started getting the USSSA/BPF stamp and people were showing up with BESRs. People cheat and people really cheat when it comes to getting to Williamsport.

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yep, coaches not being able to warm up players is dumb, but bat checks are absolutely necessary.

I get the bat checks piece but the coaches/players deal is nuts as is the stickers on helmets. We peeled all of our stickers off for district and then we get to sectionals other teams have their kid's names spelled out in stickers on back. Just silly.

Other stuff like if a kid sets their bat bag on the field ahead of game time too much the team forfeits the game. Just silly ticky tack shit.

That's just inconsistent enforcement that all big organizations have to deal with, but you're right that having more rules leads to more problems. The stickers on the helmets should have been a no-go. And that bag on the field too early is one I haven't even heard of. That's an overzealous tournament director, imo.

Edited by Huckleberry

• 2 weeks later...

https://gc.com/tmt/summer-2022/little-league-baseball-southwest-region-tournament-62c71d4a6950b355b5ef9410/schedule

Best time of year  !    Road to Williamsport continues Thursday in Waco.   

Games scheduled for LHN.   Will miss Keith Moreland doing the broadcast,  have a full recovery "Zonk".

Edited by torre

Texas updates at other levels:

10 year olds - Houston Lamar won Texas East, Abilene Wylie won Texas West

11 year olds - Needville won Texas East, San Antonio McAllister Park won Texas West

50/70 (Intermediate) - Needville won Texas East dethroning West U. and then won the Southwest region. Castroville represented Texas West and won two games but fell. This is the Needville team that missed out on Williamsport last year due to COVID. They were eliminated at the 50/70 World Series this week in California, going 1-2. They beat Fort Lauderdale and then lost to Indiana and Toms River, NJ.

Junior - Columbus won Texas East, Oil Belt Little League out of Corpus Christi won Texas West. The Southwest Region tournament starts tomorrow in Albuquerque.

Senior - West U won Texas East, New Home won Texas West. West U won the Southwest Region tournament and are 1-1 at the World Series in South Carolina. They defeated the host SC district then lost to Florida. They currently lead New Jersey in the second inning, winner to face Florida in the US final.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Is Abilene Wylie now the cream of the Texas Little League crop?

I will defer to @Huckleberry but they are very good.   Rick McCarty,  head baseball coach at Abilene Christian is an assistant coach.   His son was the winning pitcher tonight over defending champion Eastbank La.    Little League baseball seems to be somewhat cyclical.

https://www.littleleague.org/world-series/2022/llbws/tournaments/southwest-region/

Today's scores and schedule.    After day 1, top 4 seems to be Wylie, Eastbank, Pearland, and Tulsa.    Starkville is also pretty good.

Sat

Okla vs Ark,  4PM

La vs Ms, 7PM

Sun

TBD,  Winner of above games, 12PM

Pearland vs Abilene,  4PM (winner goes to championship game on Tues)

Abilene beat Okla 3-2 last night in 7 inn,  but may have lost their #2 pitcher/1B to injury.   Hurt his knee fielding a bunt, didn't look good.    

No clear favorite.   Tournament will be won by the team whose coach manages his team the best.

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Bottom of 9th... Two consecutive reviews correctly go North Carolina's way.... each results in a score and the final out call being reversed.

Now 4-4 with two outs, still bottom of 9th.  

WOW

Headed to the 10th, 4-4.

South Carolina leading off the 10th...

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

No runs scored in top of 10th... North Carolina with shot to score and walkoff win

After South Carolina celebrated victory twice, only to have umpire calls of the 3rd out reversed by video review....   in the bottom of the 10th North Carolina wins in a walkoff 

5-4

Ms upsets  defending champion La Eastbank 7-5.    

Great game.   For an inexplicable reason (probably to save him for later),  Eastbank coach pulled his starter with a 4-0 lead.    Can't do that in the loser's bracket.

You all need to watch these games.    It is ok to relive your childhood.     🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, torre said:

Sun

Okla vs Ms,  Noon  

Pearland vs Abilene,  4PM (winner goes to championship game on Tues)

What do you think about these two Texas teams (Abilene & Pearland)  ??

For me these are not very strong teams this year...

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

ESPN+    (Also LHN covering games in Waco)

Currently watching Hawaii vs S.California

Two good teams...  Hawaii won  3-0

Hawaii pitching was impressive,   16 K's between two pitchers in 6 innings.   

Edited by LTtxfan

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

What do you think about these two Texas teams (Abilene & Pearland)  ??

For me these are not very strong teams this year...

Not that familiar,  Pearland seems to have the best hitting team,  Abilene will likely counter with their ace McCarty who shutdown Eastbank on Thursday.

You are correct, teams seem  not as strong this year.    Or perhaps there is just not one dominant team.

14 minutes ago, torre said:

Not that familiar,  Pearland seems to have the best hitting team,  Abilene will likely counter with their ace McCarty who shutdown Eastbank on Thursday.

You are correct, teams seem  not as strong this year.    Or perhaps there is just not one dominant team.

Thanks. Won't be surprised to see the Oklahoma team get to the regional finals if their pitching can hold up.  Abilene and Pearland have been underwhelming so far.

Still searching to find teams with both good hitting and pitching together.  Hawaii might be one of those teams if their 3rd and 4th pitchers are as good as the first two that they have rolled out.

Really impressed with how good some of these teams/players are -- usually have good games in the Warner Robbins regional.