Mid-Atlantic Region - 4 teams
Midwest Region - 8 teams
Mountain Region - 4 teams
New England Region - 4 teams
Northwest Region - 4 teams
Southeast Region - 8 teams
Southwest Region - 8 teams
West Region - 4 teams

WTF? I hope they did that based on number of leagues players in each region but I find it very hard to believe that the Mountain Region (Montana, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming) has nearly as many as the Southeast and Southwest Regions. Seems like some shady shit going on. You could very easily bump Colorado and New Mexico from the Southwest to the Mountain. Northwest is just Alaska(!!!), Idaho(!!), Oregon and Washington? Move the Dakotas to the Mountain and then move Montana and Wyoming to the Northwest.

All kinds of dumb everywhere. I guess they just said oh hey let's get 10 regions and 20 teams overall to Williamsport for more teams and made zero effort on splitting the regions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAROON said:

All Stars is a long long slog.  These kids are all mentally fried right now - I've seen meltdowns before (usually in dugouts), but not sure I've ever seen anything like that

What happened ?   I missed it.

Congrats to Pearland who defeated Tulsa 9-4 for a trip to Williamsport.     Do Texas proud in the LLWS !

Tulsa is commended for being a "scappy" little team.    Seemed to have the deepest pitching staff in the tournament,  just could not make it all the way back after losing game 2.

• Hook 'Em 2

Csb/ My kid played lewiston in the state tourney (11u) but their 12u team was there playing the older kids. Pretty good program they have for lewistion fucking idaho. But the coaches were cool and so were the parents so tough not to cheer for them.  They play oregon tomorrow in an elimination game. /csb

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 3:10 PM, Armybrat said:

That is a beautiful thing to see. I've seen some kids breakdown on the mound like that after hitting a batter. They get overwhelmed by guilt, shame and embarrassment and struggle to shake it off. I've seen the batter that was hit run over and shake the pitcher's hand but never seen one hug the pitcher like that.

4 hours ago, jw4381 said:

I've seen probably 20 pitches 6" and more off the plate called strikes by these mouth breathing umps. Feel sorry for the kids getting struck out on called 3rd strikes like that.

And yes, I'll take some cheese with my whine.

They are volunteers and there is a big shortage of youth officials these days.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah I don't want to rip them because of that, but some of them are just bad. As said above, I feel bad for the batters who are up at the plate in what could very well be the biggest athletic moment of their lives and they are called out on a pitch that they are physically incapable of reaching. That absolutely sucks for those kids.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Indiana just got bent over royally on that replay overturn.  Wow.  Cannot fathom how one could say that the video evidence was sufficient to overturn that call at 2B.

Thx for posting... forgot there were games today.

3-3 in the 6th -- nice game

32 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Indiana just got bent over royally on that replay overturn.  Wow.  Cannot fathom how one could say that the video evidence was sufficient to overturn that call at 2B.

Indiana beats Kentucky   4-3  in 7 innings

Crazy seeing them playing a lefty at 2B

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

It's fun watching these kids as an "old".

Their fielding and their swings seems so much more advanced than ours were back in the 80's and 90's

I also think the fences need to be moved back.  HR's back in the day were still fairly rare.

Their mechanics are much more advanced than kids back in our days. They also are not swinging the heavy lead pipes we used as bats. The fences are definitely undersized at this level.

Teams headed to Williamsport thus far (America):

Texas SW

Tennessee

Indiana

Massachusetts

Washington

With respect to the officiating, social media has been full of people complaining about it and calling for paid officials, but I really really hate to see the volunteering go away.

Youth sports is just gone off the rails IMO, and actually, youth extracurricular activities in general have just gotten over-run to the point that participation is less about fun and experimentation with figuring out who you are and what you like/don't like and more about checking off bucket lists (usually parent's), college acceptance, or 'my kid is getting a scholarship' dreams. Two cents and I don't expect it to be a popular opinion. As a volunteer for a variety of activities saw too many children that just gave up because they were trying to please mom or dad and realized it was never going to be enough.

I agree volunteerism should stay but LL needs to work with the umpires a bit more. Little League regular season games are one thing, sometimes both pitchers will struggle and you have to call some strikes to keep the game moving. 

But at the level we're at now there is no reason to give more than a ball width off the plate. And nobody can convince me these umpires aren't intentionally calling a wide zone. Nobody with functioning eyes thinks a ball in the middle of the other batter's box crossed through the zone. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I agree volunteerism should stay but LL needs to work with the umpires a bit more. Little League regular season games are one thing, sometimes both pitchers will struggle and you have to call some strikes to keep the game moving. 

But at the level we're at now there is no reason to give more than a ball width off the plate. And nobody can convince me these umpires aren't intentionally calling a wide zone. Nobody with functioning eyes thinks a ball in the middle of the other batter's box crossed through the zone. 

Agree that instruction and awareness by the org would likely go a long way. I don't mind the challenge/replay when used but it's better if that is the absolute last resort and not the 'oh well the replay will catch it' mindset.

Had to step away from the desk for awhile, but I believe Iowa took the Midwest region over Missouri.