Star Wars - Ahsoka

UT_OB1

25 minutes ago, WBT said:

I'm old enough to remember when you didn't have to watch hundreds of hours of cartoons to enjoy Filoni's live action shows

Well if you didn't watch Rebels then you missed some of the best Star Wars content that the man has produced. 

• Hook 'Em 5

On 6/7/2023 at 8:24 PM, mdmost said:

Well if you didn't watch Rebels then you missed some of the best Star Wars content that the man has produced. 

I would love to see him take a crack at Shadows of the Empire, even though they'd have to either get new actors to play Luke, Leia, etc. or do some better de-aging, as well as Nicolas Cage's and Helen Hunt's characters.

shadows_96_110.jpg?v=1508952342

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 6/4/2023 at 6:37 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

And speaking of Sabine having Ezra’s lightsaber, given that Kanan trained her in fighting with the darksaber, I imagine we’ll see Sabine wielding Ezra’s lightsaber in battle.

IIRC, she wields Ezra's lightsaber against Gar Saxon to win the darksaber in single combat so she canonically can use a laser sword pretty well

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/7/2023 at 8:24 PM, mdmost said:

Yeah I don't get the whole "I don't want to watch cartoons" thing. Good stories are good stories.

None of the live action stuff is "real" anyway. The CGI or other visual effects used are basically making them live action "cartoons" so what's the difference?

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/12/2023 at 11:49 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I would love to see him take a crack at Shadows of the Empire, even though they'd have to either get new actors to play Luke, Leia, etc. or do some better de-aging, as well as Nicolas Cage's and Helen Hunt's characters.

shadows_96_110.jpg?v=1508952342

I’d watch an animated series (maybe miniseries) of Shadows. That book was really great.

• 4 weeks later...

Ahsoka looks basically like season 5 of Rebels. Can't recommend that show enough, I wrote it off as a kids show initially (and some of the first couple seasons are), but holy shit that show is tapped into what makes Star Wars Star Wars. You really should watch it before Ahsoka if you have the screentime, it fills in a bunch of key Mandalorian backstory as well

Spoiler

And did anyone else catch Thrawn name-dropping "Heir to the Empire"?? 

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

I know some of us sound like broken records on this topic but: yes you should watch Clone Wars (use the episode guide so you know what to skip) and Rebels (all of it) before this comes out. I still don’t love the choice of actor to play Ahsoka, but I love the Ahsoka character. She’s right up there with the OT crew for me. Rebels has some great characters too, quite a few of which will feature prominently in this show.

21 hours ago, YChang said:

Yeah, is Sabine force sensitive now? Also now I'm even more sad that Ray Stevenson passed away, his character looks full of menace and mystery. 

I don't think so. Or at least I hope not.

I'm guessing that "master" line was more a reference of Ashoka continuing to help train Sabine as a warrior in the same way Kanan was training her with the darksaber?

And in the trailer the hot dark jedi (or whatever) chick says, "You have no power..." 

So maybe wishful thinking but I really hope she's not force sensitive. It just gets old being like, "oh wait! That person has the force now!" I have more faith in Filoni than that, so here's to hoping.

35 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I know some of us sound like broken records on this topic but: yes you should watch Clone Wars (use the episode guide so you know what to skip) and Rebels (all of it) before this comes out. I still don’t love the choice of actor to play Ahsoka, but I love the Ahsoka character. She’s right up there with the OT crew for me. Rebels has some great characters too, quite a few of which will feature prominently in this show.

100% this.

I'm sure the show would be enjoyable for someone who hadn't seen those shows, but it's going to be WAY more enjoyable if you have seen them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

34 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

100% this.

I'm sure the show would be enjoyable for someone who hadn't seen those shows, but it's going to be WAY more enjoyable if you have seen them.

Yes and yes. If someone started watching The Sopranos in season five or Mad Men at the start of season seven, would they have found it enjoyable? Yes.  Would said person have missed out on a shit ton of nuance, depth of character development, and payoff of previous storylines? Also without a doubt.

Disney+ even has an "Ahsoka Essential Episodes" that cuts the list down even further. But just find a good Clone Wars guide and watch all of Rebels.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

I don't think you can have any appreciation of who Ahsoka is without knowing her story. 

Agreed.

I will say there are a lot of Star Wars YouTubers who have put together good summaries of Ahsoka's plot lines through CW and Rebels. 

I feel like people should definitely watch those at a bare minimum if they don't want to watch those series.

But I really think Rebels is almost required watching, given that that Ashoka series is essentially setting up to be a live action new season of Rebels.

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Interesting. Based on this, it appears that elements from the non-cannon Thrawn books will become cannon by their inclusion in this series. I am surprised that the cannon Thrawn books (which are excellent) aren't included on the list.  

I don't think so. Whoever made that chart notes that they are non-canon. And yeah it's weird to include that as a recommendation and not the actual canon Thrawn books that Zahn wrote.

Interesting. Based on this, it appears that elements from the non-cannon Thrawn books will become cannon by their inclusion in this series. I am surprised that the cannon Thrawn books (which are excellent) aren't included on the list.  

Most of the character features of Thrawn were canonized in Rebels already - right down to the Noghri assasin and strategy-through-art. Considering that palps gets cloned in the sequel trilogy, and what we've seen in Mando, and what the core plot of Heir to the Empire is...

Spoiler

A cloned Jedi gone mad manufacturing his own clone army that is coopted by Thrawn 

Ahsoka could be the realization of all those old paperback novels, but in a good way (I hope)

• Hook 'Em 1

canon-versus-cannon_27c5571306.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1