Star Wars - Ahsoka

UT_OB1

1 minute ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I don't think so. Whoever made that chart notes that they are non-canon. And yeah it's weird to include that as a recommendation and not the actual canon Thrawn books that Zahn wrote.

Those canon Zahn books are more prequels to thrawns story, where the Heir to the Empire trilogy is the climax of his story

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Those canon Zahn books are more prequels to thrawns story, where the Heir to the Empire trilogy is the climax of his story

No, those Zahn books are prequels to his Disney Star Wars story which the show might delve more into. The Heir to the Empire trilogy is no longer canon. But it's a far superior post Jedi story than the Disney sequel trilogy. They're on there because Filoni kept Thrawn about as close to the Zahn novels as possible. 

In the middle of a rewatch of The Clone Wars, and there is so much there it is easy to forget just how strong some of the arcs are. In season 3, the get the Nightsisters Arc, followed up immediately by the Mortis Arc (which I'm in the middle of right now). There is so much great content, and most of the rest of it is pretty good and worth watching to flesh out what exactly is going on in the Clone Wars. I've been keeping notes as I've been watching through it, and so far there are only five episodes or so that I've felt like we're a bit of a waste of time, and six that could go either way. Now, I just have to finish 70 some odd episodes before Ahsoka comes out, and maybe if I have time, a rewatch of Rebels as well. Sorry Star Trek Strange New Worlds and Foundation, you'll have to wait.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finished my binge rewatch of The Clone Wars (complete with notes on which episodes to skip and which ones to maybe skip for someone who wants to watch themajority of the series and not miss out on any important or interesting arcs), and one episode down of Rebels. Let's see if I can finish it before this comes our, since it looks like it is basically season 5 of Rebels.

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Finished my binge rewatch of The Clone Wars (complete with notes on which episodes to skip and which ones to maybe skip for someone who wants to watch themajority of the series and not miss out on any important or interesting arcs), and one episode down of Rebels. Let's see if I can finish it before this comes our, since it looks like it is basically season 5 of Rebels.

interested in your notes, PM if you don't mind

On 8/2/2023 at 12:57 AM, Pablo said:

interested in your notes, PM if you don't mind

Here you go.

80sCcxzy_o.jpg

The ones marked out in red don't really add anything to the plot. The ones in yellow are still worth watching if you want to watch all but the most unnecessary episodes. I marked the episodes as I watched them, so I should probably go back through the list and make sure there isn't anything important to the overall plot in any of the ones I marked, but Clone Wars really isn't like Rebels where seemingly unimportant stuff turns out to be important later on. And remember, this list was created with the mindset of watching as much as possible and only skipping the most useless episodes.

But speaking of Rebels, I just finished rewatching season one of Rebels, and with watching them back to back, the difference in the overall writing quality is pretty obvious. Aside from the last few episodes of Clone Wars, while the story lines are great in Clone Wars, the writing in Rebels is leaps and bounds ahead of Clone Wars. It is a much better series overall from that perspective, especially if you exclude the last four episodes of Clone Wars, which is probably some of the best Star Wars content ever written if you've watched the rest of the series enough to be invested in Ahsoka's arc.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Here you go.

80sCcxzy_o.jpg

The ones marked out in red don't really add anything to the plot. The ones in yellow are still worth watching if you want to watch all but the most unnecessary episodes. I marked the episodes as I watched them, so I should probably go back through the list and make sure there isn't anything important to the overall plot in any of the ones I marked, but Clone Wars really isn't like Rebels where seemingly unimportant stuff turns out to be important later on. And remember, this list was created with the mindset of watching as much as possible and only skipping the most useless episodes.

But speaking of Rebels, I just finished rewatching season one of Rebels, and with watching them back to back, the difference in the overall writing quality is pretty obvious. Aside from the last few episodes of Clone Wars, while the story lines are great in Clone Wars, the writing in Rebels is leaps and bounds ahead of Clone Wars. It is a much better series overall from that perspective, especially if you exclude the last four episodes of Clone Wars, which is probably some of the best Star Wars content ever written if you've watched the rest of the series enough to be invested in Ahsoka's arc.

Thanks these are helpful to the newbs, but here’s  my Clone Wars advice: if the first 5 minutes are all droids or Padme, press skip. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'll make a list for Rebels when I'm done watching it, but spoiler alert, it includes all of them.

This is the way

Rebels is great otherwise we wouldn't be having these live action versions

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Here you go.

80sCcxzy_o.jpg

Thanks for making these extra notes, I've watched all of Clones and wanted an express route through it again, plus wanted to watch along with a friend who hasn't seen any of it yet and doesn't know the greatness of Ahsoka

If you skip all of the ones I've marked up with yellow and red, the one Arc I'd recommend, and I know it isn't popular, is the the Martez sisters Arc in the final season. I know a lot of folks find it annoying, but it is the only material we have of what happens between when Ahsoka leaves the Jedi order and the last four legendary episodes of Clone Wars. Mind the gap, I guess. There is a lot of character development there, as well as the ruthlessness of the Pykes. 

8 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I’m hooked. Great music. I think the main 3 cast are great, the new droid is amusing but also warm, and Rays character is setting up to be interesting, not just evil bad guy. 

Kevin Kiner. Did the music for Clone Wars, Rebels, Bad Batch, and Tales of the Jedi. He did an amazing job on the last 4 episodes of CW. They really did get the band back together!

Great start. All the characters were consistent with Rebels and CW. No complaints, looking forward to the rest of the season. 

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The green chick is so bad. She acts like she’s cosplaying at a 3rd tier comic con.

Sabine is pretty good. Rosario doesn’t seem to want be here and acts bored.

The dialog is pretty rough.

Fuck, Andor has raised the bar too high for the rest of Star Wars.

You have got to stop comparing anything going forward to Andor. There will never be another Andor, other than when the 2nd season comes out. If you put everything going forward up against that bar, you will enjoy nothing. This is a Filoni vehicle. It's going to play exactly like all his previous works (Rebels, Clone Wars, Mando). This is Jedis, laser swords, hyperspace whales, and space witches.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I like that they are exploring the more mystical aspects from Clone Wars and Rebels, something other than the standard dark vs light side of the force.

I just don't want the world between worlds stuff. That was a bridge too far for me. I worry that might be a bit of what we're getting with the line Morgan said about Thrawn. 

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

i always appreciate how Captain Byron Hadley shows up in a Filoni show somewhere. 

He was the voice actor for the same character in Rebels which was a cool cameo to have on the show. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The green chick is so bad. She acts like she’s cosplaying at a 3rd tier comic con.

Sabine is pretty good. Rosario doesn’t seem to want be here and acts bored.

The dialog is pretty rough.

Fuck, Andor has raised the bar too high for the rest of Star Wars.

I'm no fan Boi, but you don't know shit about fuck.

One would be crazy to second guess Filoni, and his stuff often takes awhile to hit its stride, but I’ve only watched the first episode and I found it slow. And please stop casting known actors in Star Wars stuff, it really takes me out of the immersion. Sabine actor is a good fit.

I was thinking about that. You can cast well known actors in unknown parts or unknown actors in well known parts. That works best. Maybe they were assuming most people haven’t watched CW or Rebels, which I guess is probably true, and are trying to capture eyeballs with the cast.

You have got to stop comparing anything going forward to Andor. There will never be another Andor, other than when the 2nd season comes out. If you put everything going forward up against that bar, you will enjoy nothing. This is a Filoni vehicle. It's going to play exactly like all his previous works (Rebels, Clone Wars, Mando). This is Jedis, laser swords, hyperspace whales, and space witches.

It’s a fair criticism. The story material is going to be the story material, but I don’t know why the production value can’t be more Andor and less Book of Boba Fett.

30 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

One would be crazy to second guess Filoni, and his stuff often takes awhile to hit its stride, but I’ve only watched the first episode and I found it slow. And please stop casting known actors in Star Wars stuff, it really takes me out of the immersion. Sabine actor is a good fit.

I was thinking about that. You can cast well known actors in unknown parts or unknown actors in well known parts. That works best. Maybe they were assuming most people haven’t watched CW or Rebels, which I guess is probably true, and are trying to capture eyeballs with the cast.

The first episode was a little slow taken by itself, but was fine if you watched the first two back to back. Probably why they dropped them both.

28 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s a fair criticism. The story material is going to be the story material, but I don’t know why the production value can’t be more Andor and less Book of Boba Fett.

I think Filoni is going for Return of the Jedi style with the production to emphasize that this happens pretty soon after Endor, but it is still very much his style.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

Lots to like about episode two. I’m genuinely interested in what happens next, and waiting a week will suck.

Whoever made the comment about the music was spot on. Really good. Production felt a little better too.

Loved the shot for shot callback to the Rebels epilogue too (or was it the same scene?). Chopper is still the best character, I love that he’s still a homicidal maniac. New droid with the nerd-Maximus face is also good.

It’s a shame about Ray.

Sarcasm on…

Is Qui-gon the only person to ever die from a lightsaber through the torso? Seems to be a pretty simple injury to come back from.

These people who don’t want to be found/don’t want someone to be found really need to stop leaving maps lying around.

That’s a helluva tracking device that can report back from another galaxy.

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Lots to like about episode two. I’m genuinely interested in what happens next, and waiting a week will suck.

Whoever made the comment about the music was spot on. Really good. Production felt a little better too.

Loved the shot for shot callback to the Rebels epilogue too (or was it the same scene?). Chopper is still the best character, I love that he’s still a homicidal maniac. New droid with the nerd-Maximus face is also good.

It’s a shame about Ray.

Sarcasm on…

Is Qui-gon the only person to ever die from a lightsaber through the torso? Seems to be a pretty simple injury to come back from.

These people who don’t want to be found/don’t want someone to be found really need to stop leaving maps lying around.

Lord...You've sent out a beacon to "one who shall not be named" to come threadshit.   

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s a shame about Ray.

Sarcasm on…

Huyang isn't new. He was the Droid in Clone Wars that taught the young lines how to build lightsabers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1