Star Wars - Ahsoka

UT_OB1

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

So was episode 1 Sabine vs non blinker the first female v female live action light saber duel?  

Yes

I enjoy the variety of ships we see in the SW universe, and many you can see the evolution from earlier designs which is cool IMO, the fighters that the Shin Hati and Marrok flew reminded me of WW2 fighters.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this series so far

The casting of Hera, Sabine, and the young blonde dark side Jedi is really bad.  Not only bad visual fit but pretty bad acting.  I am ok with Dawson as Ahsoka but she’s not great in this role.

Visuals of the first 3 episodes have been pretty good.  Plot is ok.  This show is watchable but nothing great.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Fact is you just can’t recreate this in live action:

https://x.com/lilfellow25/status/1696888208489873911?s=46&t=ijQeM9QF3R373kzho_gbaQ

Ahsoka’s legend was created in the animated series, and nothing they can do in live action can replicate it. Just gotta deal with it.

That clip left out the best one. Spoilered for anyone who hasn't seen Clone Wars (Seriously... just watch Clone Wars; the payoff in final four episodes is incredible, and those two hours comprise the best SW content outside of ESB).

Spoiler

Ray Park was brought back to choreograph and motion-capture the scenes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Smax said:

Agree with you but the Darth Maul Qui gon and Obi scene was fantastic, just looked wow that film was 24 years ago. damn

Absolutely. 20 year old me was so blown away by that scene that I left the theatre and immediately bought a ticket for the next showing just to see it again.

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, the cartoons ruined Jedi fights.  They are so much better when animated.

I honestly don't understand this criticism. 

I guess I'm easily able to compartmentalize in my mind if I'm watching animated vs. live action and understand that there are going to be inherent differences.

The animated shows depict a "heightened reality" that is necessary to make the genre interesting... I mean if animated shows strictly followed "real world" or "in universe" physics, etc., it would be pretty boring... e.g. what would be the point? Just do it live action.

In the example of the lightsaber fights, I actually don't think the over-the-top acrobatic shit from the prequels and the animated shows are very interesting, for the most part.

The Obi-wan/Qui-gon/Maul battle was pretty interesting because it was the first time we saw something like that in Star Wars, but the rest are either way over the top or devoid of emotion.

The best and most interesting lightsaber fights in the entire history of Star Wars are the two Luke/Vader fights and they are hardly the high-flying acrobatic shit we see in the animated series or prequels and the stuff that has come after it.

Edited by oSuJeff97

On 8/30/2023 at 8:35 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

Yeah I bet it will be like in the Obi Wan show, where they de-age Hayden and have one or two flashbacks of their mentor-apprentice relationship. If Anakin couldn’t be bothered to come back as a force ghost to help his own kid during Eps. 7-9, why would he appear to Ahsoksa?

I hope Filoni strays from his MO of wasting the better part of a few episodes with filler that may or may not circle back two series from now. We only get 8 episodes so let not a minute of screen time go to waste. 

Well, Rebels didn't really have any filler, and this is season five of Rebels, so...

On 8/30/2023 at 2:33 PM, oSuJeff97 said:
  • The relationship/training between Ashoka and Sabine is fascinating. It's the first time in Star Wars we've seen the idea that a non-intuitive Force wielder can train to be a Jedi. They keep driving home the fact that Sabine doesn't have any Force "talent." I honestly hope it stays that way... it will go a long way for making long-term Star Wars more interesting if someone besides space wizards can be Jedi; or even if they keep with just the idea that anyone can learn to wield the Force - even in a limited capacity - if they train hard enough; that's a cool idea to explore vs. just what up to this point has been a genetic trait

Chirrut Îmwe's Staff | StarWars.com

We have seen folks who felt the force, but did not wield it before. I wonder if Sabine will be more in this vein, sort of like how in the old EU they talked about how the not-so-good jedi were sent to manage the archives and tend to jedi needs, just ones that didn't need the force

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, F250 said:

I love the contrast between the super nerd posters referencing SW books in this thread and the very casual viewers asking if Luke Skywalker is still working with Captain Kirk.

It’s been alright so far, but the draw to the series for me was always going to be Thrawn. 

So far, it feels like he’ll show up in the very last scene of the season. If that’s the case, I’m hoping it’s at the head of a fleet of Romulan warbirds. 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Stilicho said:

It’s been alright so far, but the draw to the series for me was always going to be Thrawn. 

So far, it feels like he’ll show up in the very last scene of the season. If that’s the case, I’m hoping it’s at the head of a fleet of Romulan warbirds. 

LOL that’s good.

And yeah as much as I’m dying for some Thrawn, I’m also getting the feeling he’s not showing up until the last episode… or maybe the penultimate one.

They’re using him like the shark in Jaws at this point.

On 9/1/2023 at 11:16 AM, Captainant said:

Chirrut Îmwe's Staff | StarWars.com

We have seen folks who felt the force, but did not wield it before. I wonder if Sabine will be more in this vein, sort of like how in the old EU they talked about how the not-so-good jedi were sent to manage the archives and tend to jedi needs, just ones that didn't need the force

He should have a series.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

These episodes are criminally too short. And I KNEW it would end with that. God damnit 

Yep!! Damn it! I know I'm getting cliff hung every week but damn it...no way I can wait and watch the whole series at once. No doubt gonna be a huge cliff hanger at the end of series too that leads into next season or movie. Pretty much accepted that this is gonna be an 8 episode teaser of Thrawn dag nabbit

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So they jump to hyperspace  with the purgil it looks like?

That's what I'm thinking, and maybe Ahsoka has some way to guide/ help through the world between worlds. Just wondering where they're gonna go with it being Anakin or Vader. Opens up a lot of possibilities. Glad they're not just using him in a flash back. More I think on it, the possibilities could be pretty darn cool. A Vader Ahsoka battle? That would ignite my saber 

I didn’t hear any Vader music. Will rewatch. Unless this is a force vision (and honestly that would make more sense) they have redeemed Anakin, and I don’t think Filoni would backtrack on that. Actually a force vision where she works through some of her guilt about Anakin would make a lot of sense and be some character building for progress as a master for Sabine 

Just now, UT_OB1 said:

I didn’t hear any Vader music. Will rewatch. Unless this is a force vision (and honestly that would make more sense) they have redeemed Anakin, and I don’t think Filoni would backtrack on that. Actually a force vision where she works through some of her guilt about Anakin would make a lot of sense and be some character building for progress as a master for Sabine 

Closed captioning specifically said Vader theme