NOPE - Jordan Peele, Horror, July 2022.

atomheartbevo

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Helobious said:

First trailer was a masterpiece. This one is the exact opposite. Will still go see it probably. 

Opposite for me. This makes it infinitely more interesting. Has a bit of a..."Something Wicked This Way Comes" + a more ethnic and modern "Signs" vibe to it. I bet there is a cool twist at the end and it weaves humor and a good urban soundtrack with gripping story. I'm in!

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...

1) This movie could have been a fuck ton better

2) Ending cgi was laughable

3)Strange mismash of genres. More of a black comedy than anything else.

4)Yuens side plot was odd

5)Anyone looking for any sort of commentary is SOL. This is basically a director flexing his suspense chops. 

The whole thing was just… differenr

Went in really wanting to like it and it turned out to be terrible. If it was supposed to be a horror film, it wasn't scary.  If it was supposed to be a sci-fi flick, the premise was nonsensical and disjointed . I guess I'm not smart enough to get it.

So what those of y’all who’ve seen it are saying it’s kinda like expecting “The 6th Sense” and you got the last 30 or so minutes of “Signs” and a little bit of “The Village”? I know Peele hasn’t peaked and won’t fall off a cliff with shitty movies like M Night…but Nope sounds like a stinker…

It's not horror, maybe a bit of a thriller. There's definitely a lot of suspense and drama, and it's an allegory. I liked it, thoroughly. Loved the sets, it has a western vibe, the acting is great, the pacing was good (I was into it from minute 1 and never really let up throughout the "wtf is going on" moments). I don't need my stories to be super linear, so if you prefer movies/stories like that, this won't be for you. Solid B+, mayyybe pushing an A- in my book, I had fun watching it. I do enjoy watching Daniel Kaluuya and Steven Yeun on screen though. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

It's not horror, maybe a bit of a thriller. There's definitely a lot of suspense and drama, and it's an allegory. I liked it, thoroughly. Loved the sets, it has a western vibe, the acting is great, the pacing was good (I was into it from minute 1 and never really let up throughout the "wtf is going on" moments). I don't need my stories to be super linear, so if you prefer movies/stories like that, this won't be for you. Solid B+, mayyybe pushing an A- in my book, I had fun watching it. I do enjoy watching Daniel Kaluuya and Steven Yeun on screen though. 

Saw it yesterday and I agree

I liked it more than I expected.

Pros: entertaining, well made

Cons: drags in parts, premise is silly

I came out with more cons, but Googled a bit and those were turned around:

Spoiler

The whole Jupiter guy thing and the chimp, I was WTF?  But in restrospect that sideshow was an explanation as to how/why he does what he does.  He thinks he can tame a violent animal, thus the 6 month feeding of the monster and the eventual show where he thinks he'll be famous again.  Plus the Gordy room, in retrospect, means he's insidiuous as shit, the event that killed people gave him a purpose.

And then the silly "predator is terratorial" premise of a fucking alien being.  Apparently Jupiter's buying the horses and feeding it to the monster over a 6 month period indeed made it terriotorial over the place where it's been getting it's food.  Okay, I can buy that.

I still think it was entertaining and well made, but the remaining unspoilered parts of the film were still kind of silly.

B-

Edited by Mach 1
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

It's not horror, maybe a bit of a thriller. 

It’s not being marketed as horror and news articles aren’t touting him as an all time horror director? I guess it’s fine if it’s a thriller but the impression going into this wknd is the public is getting a horror movie. 

edit: I’ll check it out but not expecting much. As good as “get out” was, “us” for me was pure meh. Although that too started out well then got lost and never hit the landing. 

Edited by achooloco

52 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I was trying to remember the name of the gangster kitten movie (Keanu) and looked up Jordan Peele.

TIL that he is half-white.  Despite that being increasingly common, I never would have guessed.

Never saw k&p? They both talk about it there enough to where I’d guess it was common knowledge. The show is worth a watch. 

15 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Never saw k&p? They both talk about it there enough to where I’d guess it was common knowledge. The show is worth a watch. 

No, not much.  Somehow I did know that Key was half-white, maybe his appearance and Keegan-Michael being a bit of a tip off.

Jordan may be kind of a tip-off too.

Definitely not a horror movie. More Spielbergian SciFi. 

I enjoyed the action of the back half of the movie, the acting was good (although a bit of a waste of Daniel K's talents), and some of JP's shots and suspense are great. I'm glad I saw it in theaters and hope others do as well given the lack of big box office original stories. All of that said, the story was really, really all over the place and doesn't really hold up even by SciFi standards.

2 hours ago, achooloco said:

It’s not being marketed as horror and news articles aren’t touting him as an all time horror director? I guess it’s fine if it’s a thriller but the impression going into this wknd is the public is getting a horror movie. 

I think my expectations changed a lot after watching the final trailer (posted upthread). Watch that again and tell me it's sending you more than like 50% "horror" vibes. Compare that trailer to say... "A Quiet Place" or an "Insidious" movie, or hell, there's another Halloween movie that was in the trailers before Nope yesterday. If Horror is on a spectrum, this movie wasn't exactly marketed as straight horror. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My son and I got tickets to this as soon as they were on sale at the Drafthouse. Thoughts below.

Spoiler

I liked it but didn't love it. I liked the characters and the writing, but the story was all over the place. Usually, with JP movies, you get some weird imagery in the teaser trailers and/or the opening scenes that is nonsensical out of context, but comes together when you see the movie. In this case, there were lots of intriguing shots - the girl with the creepy face sitting on a set of bleachers; the bloody movie set with a deranged chimp, where there was also a woman's shoe seemingly balanced on its toe - but it never completely became cohesive. I kept waiting for the Gordy's Home situation to tie into the bigger alien story, especially considering that shoe, but it didn't really connect except to give Steven Yuen's character some backstory. The girl with the creepy face was just a costar from that set who was disfigured when the chimp went nuts. 

I thought things were really going to pick up from the relatively slow beginning when OJ is out in the stable(?) at night and the creatures emerged from the darkness - that was a fantastic, super creepy scene. But then they ruin it with it just being the Jupiter kids. It's like they had all these great elements on their own, but they just couldn't completely make it work.

Anyway, I've been wondering if I'd have liked it better without having any expectations going in. Probably. 

5 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

I think my expectations changed a lot after watching the final trailer (posted upthread). Watch that again and tell me it's sending you more than like 50% "horror" vibes. Compare that trailer to say... "A Quiet Place" or an "Insidious" movie, or hell, there's another Halloween movie that was in the trailers before Nope yesterday. If Horror is on a spectrum, this movie wasn't exactly marketed as straight horror. 

Ok, saw the final trailer. First third is definitely a horror flick then it felt like a new take on horror which would be admittedly cool and by the end it had a real jack of all trades master of none feel. That trailer felt like it was for 3 completely different movies. 

But it’s a trailer and they mean jack shit in the end. But that would fit your description of it being non-linear. I like Peele so I will watch it but … well nothing really. Best favor I can do for myself is just keep an open mind with no good or bad expectations. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thought is was an absolute blast. Every single narrative seemed to fit perfectly after I finished and had time to digest: it's a movie about the subjugation of animals/nature for the spectacle of our twisted need for entertainment in its many forms.

Really odd more people don't "get" it or how the Gordy/Jupe narrative fits in.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 2:39 PM, BigBenBamboozle said:

Every single narrative seemed to fit perfectly after I finished and had time to digest: it's a movie about the subjugation of animals/nature for the spectacle of our twisted need for entertainment in its many forms.

Can also add humans to the list. And I think Peele's focus was on Hollywood and tabloid culture. Hence the TMZ reporter, the SNL sketch, Jupe's memorabilia room, the Haywood family business, etc.

Article on some of the references:

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/a40706392/nope-meaning-explained-references-easter-eggs/

I remember that chimp attack but didn't remember that Oprah appearance with the veil and all. Re-sparked interest led me to this article about Travis the Chimp. It mentions how he was made into a spectacle, so to speak:

https://allthatsinteresting.com/travis-the-chimp

Oh, and then there's this...

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watched it, it wasn’t the greatest movie ever but it was nice to get something different. Well worth watching and a bonus to support something other than Marvel.

Key definitely likes to use a curse word or two. Also, he must have been looking at the Hope Solo pictures that are out there while he was working on his renderings.

I really enjoy Jordan Peele’s work, but I really did not get this movie. I think it is just on me though because I had two co-workers that loved it and gave detailed reasons why. I tried to get into it, but following things at times was kinda choppy for me at least. I think it is still worth seeing at least once so you can make your own determination about it though.

Edited by UpperWestside

• 5 weeks later...
Thought is was an absolute blast. Every single narrative seemed to fit perfectly after I finished and had time to digest: it's a movie about the subjugation of animals/nature for the spectacle of our twisted need for entertainment in its many forms.

Really odd more people don't "get" it or how the Gordy/Jupe narrative fits in.

Finally saw this and agree with this take. Helped that I had read a few things about it. Parts of this movie I thought were extremely creepy - 2 scenes in particular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 7/28/2022 at 12:17 PM, CurlyDumps said:

Can also add humans to the list. And I think Peele's focus was on Hollywood and tabloid culture. Hence the TMZ reporter, the SNL sketch, Jupe's memorabilia room, the Haywood family business, etc.

Yeah I saw Jupe as just as much of a character study as the monkey. And his perceived relationship with the monkey was a metaphor for how he viewed his relation to the "ufo" as well. 

2 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Yeah I saw Jupe as just as much of a character study as the monkey. And his perceived relationship with the monkey was a metaphor for how he viewed his relation to the "ufo" as well. 

For sure. He thought he had a special connection with Gordy because he survived the attack, when in reality it was just the table cloth/sheet preventing him from looking Gordy in the eyes. Thus he believed he could foster a similar relationship with ufo.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...