2024 CB Aeryn Hampton

Teryor

Harris

Daingerfield (Texas) 2024 athlete Aeryn Hampton became the second prospect in the 2024 class to commit to Texas on Monday morning as the Longhorns add to their upcoming junior class.

Despite being just a sophomore, Hampton has already had a long-winding recruitment that has resulted in an already previous commitment to Baylor and multiple visits to some of his top destinations. One of those visits included a trip to Austin this past weekend for an unofficial visit where he was able to meet with Steve Sarkisian and safeties coach Blake Gideon more in-depth.

"When I went up there for my visit, Coach Sark and Coach Gideon and the whole coaching staff made me feel at home," Hampton said. "It's the right spot for me to go to the league so I can take care of my family. The facilities, living in Austin, ain't nothing better to do than live in Austin."

The visit was much more personable than past visits as it was a week after Texas had welcomed in a large group of visitors for its Junior Day the week before. The following weekend allowed a more laid-back environment and it connected with conversations between the coaching staff and Hampton.

"Coach Sark was asking me what I think I can do when I get there, we just had a whole lot of conversations," he said. "Me and Coach Gideon, he's like an uncle to me. We talk every day, we play around, that's a coach I want to be around. I'm gonna be there a while so I want a coach that's not gonna be serious all the time, and Coach Sark and Gideon play around. It's just home."

It would make sense why fans may be a little hesitant about a 2024 recruit making an already second commitment, but Hampton insists that Texas is the spot he's always wanted to be at.

"The Baylor commitment, I was just rushing it and wanted to do something," he said. "I also wanted to play in the SEC, so I feel like Texas was better. The SEC is better competition. With Baylor, I was just rushing it. Texas has always been one of my dream schools and a top-tier program."

The opportunity to be a Longhorn is something he has dreamed about for a while, and he looks forward to cashing in on that opportunity a couple of years from now.

"A lot of people don't get to play for Texas," he said. "I feel like being able to play for Texas is a huge, huge opportunity. I'm gonna get in, work hard every single day and hope I go to the league from there."

Really hard to get excited about a guy saying this and making a commitment tweet that says his recruitment is still over but what can you do

I watched his tape, and he’s crazy fucking fast, even considering he’s not playing murderers row every week at Daingerfield. In his receiver highlights, he’s usually 5-10 yards behind everyone, and often has to wait for his QB to get the ball to him.

And how does a sophomore have enough highlights to merit an 8:00 Hudl? Because he’s a baller.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I watched his tape, and he’s crazy fucking fast, even considering he’s not playing murderers row every week at Daingerfield. In his receiver highlights, he’s usually 5-10 yards behind everyone, and often has to wait for his QB to get the ball to him.

And how does a sophomore have enough highlights to merit an 8:00 Hudl? Because he’s a baller.

He is listed as 5’ 10 but he is so much bigger than the other teams.  That is some low level of HS football he is dominating.

20 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

just-a-little-bit-excited-but-not-too-mu

Yup.  Remember when Evan Stewart was committed for about as long as his social media engagement numbers were trending in the right direction?

On the other hand, maybe Aeryn will be one of the very few who actually understands what the word "commitment"  means and stick it out. He'd be a hero if he did that.

Yup.  Remember when Evan Stewart was committed for about as long as his social media engagement numbers were trending in the right direction?

On the other hand, maybe Aeryn will be one of the very few who actually understands what the word "commitment"  means and stick it out. He'd be a hero if he did that.
I'm gonna give him a benefit of a doubt and just assume Gideon or someone told him "you can still take your official visits to other schools" or something similar and he misunderstood.

Nah fuck it, you never want a commit this far out unless it's a legacy kid born with burnt orange blood, I'll be surprised (pleasantly, kid can play apparently) if he sticks..but not counting on it.

3 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

his recruitment hasn’t even really gotten going yet. this “commitment” is meaningless. 

• Hook 'Em 1