Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

Do any of our players with eligibility profile as NBA draft picks (or even free agent signees)?  I certainly don’t see Bishop as a pro prospect of any kind at this point. 

Disu, Perryman, and Askew should be back.  Add in Mitchell, Morris, and Brumbaugh.  I would set the over/under of other guys Beard is able to retain at 2 (from a list of Jones, Bishop, Carr, Mitchell, Ramey, Benson, and Allen).  So that likely means 3-4 transfers.  An 8 man rotation of Mitchell, Morris, Disu, Askew, 2 guys who surprise us and come back (my guesses would be Jones and Bishop), and 2 really good transfers would put that team as better than this years team on paper. 

36 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Do any of our players with eligibility profile as NBA draft picks (or even free agent signees)?  I certainly don’t see Bishop as a pro prospect of any kind at this point. 

Disu, Perryman, and Askew should be back.  Add in Mitchell, Morris, and Brumbaugh.  I would set the over/under of other guys Beard is able to retain at 2 (from a list of Jones, Bishop, Carr, Mitchell, Ramey, Benson, and Allen).  So that likely means 3-4 transfers.  An 8 man rotation of Mitchell, Morris, Disu, Askew, 2 guys who surprise us and come back (my guesses would be Jones and Bishop), and 2 really good transfers would put that team as better than this years team on paper. 

No one from this team will get drafted this year. I don’t even see much hope for free agency. Not athletic or long enough 

35 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Morehead State has an athletic 6’10” redshirt freshman who was 3rd in the country in blocks this year, but probably isn’t an NBA pick if he were to enter the draft.  There is no shortage of tall rangy shot blocker types who might be portal candidates.  The rarity is when those guys have offensive game, but that’s not necessarily what we need.  Someone who can just bother a shot near the rim will suffice.

The idea of selling Allen on a 3 point shooting boot camp this offseason is intriguing.  I don’t expect he will come back, but there is a legitimate argument to make to persuade him at least.  PJ Tucker was a much more explosive athlete and better NBA defensive prospect, so that comparison is not apples to apples, but clearly Allen’s only shot at the NBA is if he becomes a legitimate 3 point shooter.  I guess you could optimistically point to someone like Denzel Valentine as the upside to a suddenly sharp shooting version of Timmy Allen.

Putting that aside, if Bishop comes back and plays more of a PF role, Disu gets more explosive as he recovers more, and we add two bigger guys through the portal/recruiting who can play immediately at least on the defensive end, then I’d feel pretty good about the inside rotation. 

Yeah something like Denzel Valentine or maybe George Niang are what Timmy Allen needs to aspire towards.  

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

We only have room for one Mitchell next season.   The good one.

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We definitely need at least one guy that’s 6’11 or bigger. 

Beard tried that with a few guys at Tech, it never worked out. I don't think guys that big can fit the system unless they can also switch onto any player on the other team and perform well on defense. That type of guy just isn't very common. The tallest significant contributor we had in his whole tenure was Tariq Owens (at 6'10") but he was pretty thin and moved like a much smaller player.

It's an easy knee-jerk reaction to want to get a big, beefy center after you lose to a team like Purdue, but you don't need to match their size inside to compete and win against a team like that. Hell, you guys proved that. A few breaks go your way and you probably win that game.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'm not sure who wants a big beefy center.  This is 2022 not 1982. What I want are athletes in that spot.  Guys who won't get absolutely dominated by unathletic post men with old man games like like Drew Timme and Trevion Williams. 

That kind of brings up an interesting point (at least to me) with regard to the different approaches Adams and Beard have to running what is fundamentally the same defense. Neither team really has amazing post defenders or shot blockers this year, but Timme (and Holmgren, though he rebounded well) basically did diddly squat against us from a scoring perspective.

Y'all lost because you kind of let Timme do whatever he wanted inside, we lost because we sold out to take that away and dared them to beat us by shooting from the perimeter (which they did). I wish I was basketball smart enough to analyze it beyond that.

Anyway, my point was in response to people wanting 6'11" guys or bigger, and I don't think that's really necessary. A couple of strong, athletic 6'9" guys in those spots can be just as effective in the college game.

5 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

That kind of brings up an interesting point (at least to me) with regard to the different approaches Adams and Beard have to running what is fundamentally the same defense. Neither team really has amazing post defenders or shot blockers this year, but Timme (and Holmgren, though he rebounded well) basically did diddly squat against us from a scoring perspective.

Y'all lost because you kind of let Timme do whatever he wanted inside, we lost because we sold out to take that away and dared them to beat us by shooting from the perimeter (which they did). I wish I was basketball smart enough to analyze it beyond that.

Anyway, my point was in response to people wanting 6'11" guys or bigger, and I don't think that's really necessary. A couple of strong, athletic 6'9" guys in those spots can be just as effective in the college game.

There’s also a big difference between Bryson Williams and any of the players Texas had. Trade one of our post players for Williams and the complexion of both teams changes quite a bit.

I’m 100% in agreement with you, btw, in terms of what Beard goes after and/or what works out. I’ve posted it multiple times already. I also don’t think it’s enough to be athletic as a 6’10+ guy to be able to switch. You have to have a lot of lateral quickness and a willingness to grind at it. Having explosiveness and being able to jump high aren’t enough. Most big men have never come close to being asked to do what Beard will demand of them. They stay around the basket, defend against the opponent’s biggest player, and come off their man to swat shots when needed. That’s not going to work for Beard (or Adams, for that matter). Even if they’re willing to try to play defense the way Beard wants them, if they’re not very good at it (and Beard’s expectations on defense are extremely high) they’ll sit on the bench. 

But the collective fans on this site seem determined that’s what this team needs. I feel like we’re looking for a round peg to stick in a square hole, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

With Brock back, the roster has 2 starting guards (Mitchell, Morris) and a solid bench (Askew, Cunningham, Disu, Brumbaugh, Perryman) that should be locked in.  So we need another guard (which I suspect will be a returning player: Carr, Jones, or Ramey), 2 forwards (with Bishop, T Mitchell, and Allen being possibilities), and 2 scrubs (with Benson being an option).  My guess is Beard will be looking for one elite transfer with some size and 2 versatile complementary players.

Edited by Snake Diggity

4 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

With Brock back, the roster has 2 starting guards (Mitchell, Morris) and a solid bench (Askew, Cunningham, Disu, Brumbaugh, Perryman) that should be locked in.  So we need another guard (which I suspect will be a returning player: Carr, Jones, or Ramey), 2 forwards (with Bishop, T Mitchell, and Allen being possibilities), and 2 scrubs (with Benson being an option).  My guess is Beard will be looking for one elite transfer with some size and 2 versatile complementary players.

My guess is that’s not how Beard thinks. My guess is he just goes after the most talented players he can get that he feels can switch on defense, at least say they’re willing to work at something like that, and indicate they’re more interested in winning than anything else.

Don’t forget, Beard doesn’t really like to think in terms of “guards/forwards.” His ideal is a positionless basketball team. Now, you and I know that’s unrealistic, but that’s his ideal. I know he knows he needs bigger bodies to fill out his roster. But how many is anyone’s guess.

He also doesn’t give a crap about protecting anyone’s playing time. If he has a chance to bring in a player who relegates either Mitchell or Morris to the bench all year, that’s not going to scare him. He’s not going to worry about what kind of effect it would have on recruiting. That’s just not how he thinks.

The first priority is likely going to be talking to the players who have a COVID year left to see what they want to do. We’ll see word of Texas contacting a ton of portal players that they won’t actually end up recruiting hard. But their goal is to give themselves options. 

We might see one or two relatively quick commitments like Askew and Bishop from last year, but he’s going to keep a couple of spots open to see who else might enter the portal. What I feel confident he’s not going to emphasize is how many years of eligibility they have left (you didn’t mention this, but I’ve seen others do so). Nor do I see him going after complementary players if he has a chance to grab a potential star.

Dont forget, we had two players leave the team during the season, and Beard didn’t even blink an eye. We don’t really remark on it, but how many other tournament teams experienced that? When has something like that happened at Texas? It was barely brought up in any of the comments about the team I saw. Tre Mitchell got some passing remarks, but that’s it. It certainly wasn’t a point of emphasis.

He also has extreme confidence - to the point of hubris - in his ability to put together a quality team year after year on the fly. 

They’re also going to work high school recruiting hard. That won’t impact next year’s team, but it is something to look for.

One of the things I’m curious about is if he goes after players who don’t fit his mold. I think of KSU’s Nigel Pack who I would guess enters the portal at some point. I’d love to have a guard who can get to the basket just about any time he wants, but Pack isn’t exactly ideal in a switching defense.

Mostly I’m just excited. It’s going to be an interesting offseason for sure.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We definitely need at least one guy that’s 6’11 or bigger. 

why?

Tariq Owens was 6'10" but the rest of that 2019 Tech team was the usual suspects for Beard's system, and yeah;you could propose a taller guy would have kept UVa from hitting that 3...but it wouldn't be true.

Not sure I'm bought in with, "a big guy is the difference in why we didn't advance further in the tournament."  Athletic guys who can protect the rim can get it done too.  It doesn't just have to be a tall guy.

8 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Why am I getting confused about the Mitchell’s? Isn’t the freshman 6’7” 200 and therefore a forward, not a guard? Who is the Mitchell that would be a guard? 

He has the handles of a guard. He’s listed as a small forward on recruiting services. He can jump out of the gym. He’s a legitimate one and done NBA prospect. I wouldn’t get too caught up in whether he’s a guard or a forward. Not convinced he’s 200, though. 

I haven't followed Houston closely enough to even know their roster that well. But seems to me they're closer to the "ideal" Beard roster. They stifled Illinois without having anyone nearly the size of Cockburn (Carlton is listed at 6-10, no one else over 6-8), and they have guys of all sizes who hustle and rebound. They also play with confidence on offense. No household names, but they get after it and obviously are a tough out.  

58 minutes ago, slorch said:

why?

Tariq Owens was 6'10" but the rest of that 2019 Tech team was the usual suspects for Beard's system, and yeah;you could propose a taller guy would have kept UVa from hitting that 3...but it wouldn't be true.

Not sure I'm bought in with, "a big guy is the difference in why we didn't advance further in the tournament."  Athletic guys who can protect the rim can get it done too.  It doesn't just have to be a tall guy.

Well if he’s 6’11 and athletic it’s even better than 6’7. I never said we need a 6’11 unathletic big but we need some size. Especially if you’re gonna have 3 unathletic 6’7-6’9 guys on your roster. So I’m not against a undersized roster but it needs to be balanced which I think beard will do this off season.

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

I haven't followed Houston closely enough to even know their roster that well. But seems to me they're closer to the "ideal" Beard roster. They stifled Illinois without having anyone nearly the size of Cockburn (Carlton is listed at 6-10, no one else over 6-8), and they have guys of all sizes who hustle and rebound. They also play with confidence on offense. No household names, but they get after it and obviously are a tough out.  

Illinois is a different team than Purdue, though. I wouldn’t have been nearly as concerned with Illinois. First, Coleman Hawkins as a big is no where near as good of a second big man as either Edey or Williams. Their backcourt is tiny. And they don’t have anyone remotely as good as Ivey. They lost both times they matched up head to head against the Boilermakers.

Not to take anything away from Sampson or UH. They’ve lost two spectacular players from their roster. To do what they’ve done is remarkable. And yeah, Sampson doesn’t recruit a lot of traditional big men, either. I’m not sure Blake Griffin goes to OU if Sampson had been the coach. 

Sampson is a terrific evaluator and I’d argue he’s the best in the country at getting his kids to buy in and play with intensity. 

But yeah, in terms of coaches who prefer to hedge off picks and deploy more traditional positions on the court, and coaches who want all five players to be able to switch, Sampson has definitely always been in the latter category. And his offenses have often been paint drying exercises in part because of it. Not saying this year’s version has been, but they’ve had their stretches. 

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

And I also agree with the knee jerk reaction after one game. It’s like Mack changing course after the bama game. Facing a Purdue big man lineup might only happen once in a blue moon. Just a bad matchup with our current roster is all.

The last thing anyone should want to see is a Texas basketball coach moving away from what got him the job to change to a different philosophy. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 3

4 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Damn, thought he was out of eligibility...

brandy-perryman-208x300.jpg

40 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lsu center just decomitted and he’s a 5 star. Wonder if we would have any interest. 

You talking about Yohan Traore? Beard offered in May, so they obviously have interest. 

Also, Julian Phillips already decommitted a few days ago. 6'8 McD AA forward.

Both of these guys are 2022 and would be playing in the fall semester.

35 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

You talking about Yohan Traore? Beard offered in May, so they obviously have interest. 

Also, Julian Phillips already decommitted a few days ago. 6'8 McD AA forward.

Both of these guys are 2022 and would be playing in the fall semester.

Gerry thinks he's headed to Auburn, "as of today"

40 minutes ago, Fud said:

Gerry thinks he's headed to Auburn, "as of today"

Yeah, supposedly he likes what Pearl did with their big men. Pearl is a heckuva a recruiter, and he has more of that roll the ball out there mentality that Calipari has that kids like to play for. Or, frankly, what Shaka had. It's easier to recruit to in a lot of ways. Kids like freedom on the court. 

10 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

There’s also a big difference between Bryson Williams and any of the players Texas had. Trade one of our post players for Williams and the complexion of both teams changes quite a bit.

I’m 100% in agreement with you, btw, in terms of what Beard goes after and/or what works out. I’ve posted it multiple times already. I also don’t think it’s enough to be athletic as a 6’10+ guy to be able to switch. You have to have a lot of lateral quickness and a willingness to grind at it. Having explosiveness and being able to jump high aren’t enough. Most big men have never come close to being asked to do what Beard will demand of them. They stay around the basket, defend against the opponent’s biggest player, and come off their man to swat shots when needed. That’s not going to work for Beard (or Adams, for that matter). Even if they’re willing to try to play defense the way Beard wants them, if they’re not very good at it (and Beard’s expectations on defense are extremely high) they’ll sit on the bench. 

But the collective fans on this site seem determined that’s what this team needs. I feel like we’re looking for a round peg to stick in a square hole, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. 

Williams is the only disappointment I had with my 20/20 goggles. Beard misplayed that one badly for Mitchell. You are right, Williams on Texas we are still dancing and Tech is likely not even a tournament team, he was that good.

5 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

But yeah, in terms of coaches who prefer to hedge off picks and deploy more traditional positions on the court, and coaches who want all five players to be able to switch, Sampson has definitely always been in the latter category. And his offenses have often been paint drying exercises in part because of it. Not saying this year’s version has been, but they’ve had their stretches. 

Sampson's time in the NBA working with D'Antoni changed his offensive philosophy. He will now run when it's advantageous, and I would kill to have a Taze Moore on Texas. He's got the type of athleticism that is rare at the college level. He can even find a consistent jumper he will make some cash in the NBA. But a lot of Sampson guards are finding their way onto NBA rosters.

5 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I would have liked to see Texas send a double team in the post, like maybe off that Morton guy. 

I thought we should have fronted a little more as well, especially Williams. What really killed Texas was they had no guard or big to stress the Purdue bigs defensively.  Both had 3 fouls, but with a more active paint offense, Texas likely fouls both of them out, or at least takes them off the court for long stretches.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I thought we should have fronted a little more as well, especially Williams. What really killed Texas was they had no guard or big to stress the Purdue bigs defensively.  Both had 3 fouls, but with a more active paint offense, Texas likely fouls both of them out, or at least takes them off the court for long stretches.

Yea playing them straight up meant they basically had to hard foul. Sending a double team off the guy that passed the ball is one or a blind double where the post can’t see it coming. Felt like we just went straight up all game and watched a old school post go one on one with no one else around like it was 1993.

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Williams is the only disappointment I had with my 20/20 goggles. Beard misplayed that one badly for Mitchell. You are right, Williams on Texas we are still dancing and Tech is likely not even a tournament team, he was that good.

One of the guys on the "Pretend We're Football" podcast alluded to there being something behind the scenes that prevented us from taking Williams.  I haven't heard or seen anyone address this,  but I'm curious about what the issue might have been.  

15 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

One of the guys on the "Pretend We're Football" podcast alluded to there being something behind the scenes that prevented us from taking Williams.  I haven't heard or seen anyone address this,  but I'm curious about what the issue might have been.  

That was the big surprise wasn't it?  How 'bout a look back to 3 weeks after Beard was hired...

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2021/4/21/22394362/texas-longhorns-transfers-chris-beard-dylan-disu-devante-jones-kur-kuath-sahvir-wheeler

Edited by slorch

10 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I would have liked to see Texas send a double team in the post, like maybe off that Morton guy. 

You do realize that Purdue is #4 in the country in 3 point shooting efficiency, right?  If we doubled their bigs, they would have rained 3s on us.

18 minutes ago, HookEm said:

You do realize that Purdue is #4 in the country in 3 point shooting efficiency, right?  If we doubled their bigs, they would have rained 3s on us.

Yep and that’s why they’re the #2 AdjO in the country. There is no answer to shutting down their offense. You just have to pick your poison and then take advantage of their weak defense. We were close to doing that, but we missed too many free throws (especially front end 1 and 1s) and went on that 0-20 streak in the first half. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, HookEm said:

Yea I know that. You do realize basketball is a game of adjustments and if you start doubling and they hit a few you stop. Switching up looks every now and then isn’t a game killer and can help maybe slow down their momentum since basketball is a game of runs. 

Making the posts shoot over you to score while not fouling and rebounding the misses was a fine strategy since it's a lower EPA/efficiency play for their offense, as evidenced by Texas being very much in the game until the very end when Ivey finally got loose, despite fouling too much (in part due to lack of execution, and in part due to some bad calls imo)

If the fouls in the post got cut down, if a few calls went our way, and if we made a few more very makeable shots, we win the game against a very good team, which to me means the strategy was fine 

11 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep and that’s why they’re the #2 AdjO in the country. There is no answer to shutting down their offense. You just have to pick your poison and then take advantage of their weak defense. We were close to doing that, but we missed too many free throws (especially front end 1 and 1s) and went on that 0-20 streak in the first half. 

Bingo, our strategy was sound

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea I know that. You do realize basketball is a game of adjustments and if you start doubling and they hit a few you stop. Switching up looks every now and then isn’t a game killer and can help maybe slow down their momentum since basketball is a game of runs. 

We changed looks plenty. We doubled from different angles, we trapped, we pressed a little, we played them straight up. But we were always going to have to execute on offense no matter what.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

We changed looks plenty. We doubled from different angles, we trapped, we pressed a little, we played them straight up. But we were always going to have to execute on offense no matter what.

Yea we need some deadly consistent shooters for sure. Hopefully through the portal.