Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

16 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's not ideal for us fans, but like @SL Xpress said, it's pretty good for the players and that's really what should matter in my book. The entire landscape was going to change once the student athletes gained at least some of the self-determination they always should have had. We'll just have to learn to deal with it.

My way of dealing with it will probably involve just not caring as much about college sports. I have historically long favored the college version of the major sports over the pro leagues, but now that the college version is just a shittier version of the pros, I might as well watch the better athletes. The current free agency and highest bidder bullshit just doesnt do it for me. Thats fine, I'm sure others prefer it. 

7 minutes ago, Blotto said:

My way of dealing with it will probably involve just not caring as much about college sports. I have historically long favored the college version of the major sports over the pro leagues, but now that the college version is just a shittier version of the pros, I might as well watch the better athletes. The current free agency and highest bidder bullshit just doesnt do it for me. Thats fine, I'm sure others prefer it. 

Who? 

The reason this is coming about isn't because everyone is a huge fan of it. It's because it's not right to lock in players into teams when no one else is locked in the same way. There's also a huge hypocrisy when you have gargantuan revenue generating operations in the middle of an institution devoted to higher learning, with the players having no way to leverage their marketability for personal gain. 

I've always dreaded this day coming, because of the exact dynamics it's unleashing. I liked my hypocritical bubble where players weren't compensated above the table and they were locked into the school they chose in different ways. But there's definitely a fairness issue involved there. 

My big deal has been if Texas is going to compete in a sport, they should compete for championships. Well, the only way to do that in this day and age is to figure out how to generate compensation to the athletes for tens of millions of dollars annually, and enter the free agent market robustly every season. Be the Yankees, not the Royals, basically.

It's not the same, but it was going to change one way or another. Still more drastic changes to come. The NCAA is experiencing a dead cat bounce. It's dead already, just hasn't come to it's final resting stage, yet.

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m sure beard can find a guy in the portal that averaged 1ppg and 1.4asts. I may be reaching but I feel like it’s possible.

All things being equal I would prefer he stick around, but I doubt he would ever be a key piece for the Longhorns. On a per 40 minute basis he was second to last in scoring and last in rebounding (although he was 2nd in assists). Some people would rave during game threads, and I never saw it. Good luck to the kid, hope he transfers outside the conference and kills it.  

18 minutes ago, Blotto said:

All things being equal I would prefer he stick around, but I doubt he would ever be a key piece for the Longhorns. On a per 40 minute basis he was second to last in scoring and last in rebounding (although he was 2nd in assists). Some people would rave during game threads, and I never saw it. Good luck to the kid, hope he transfers outside the conference and kills it.  

Unless he goes to OU, we won’t face him again in conference. He should have to sit out 

Texas lands New Mexico State G transfer Sir’Jabari Rice

The super senior from Houston was an All-WAC first team performer as a sophomore.

By Wescunt Eberts   @SBN_Wescott  Apr 19, 2022

Hours after rising junior guard Devin Askew entered the NCAA transfer portal on Tuesday, head coach Chris Beard and the Texas Longhorns made a significant addition to the program with the commitment of former New Mexico State Aggies guard Sir’Jabari Rice.

A 6’4, 180-pounder from Houston, Rice is a super senior with one year of eligibility remaining who entered the portal in late March after New Mexico State head coach Chris Jans was hired by Mississippi State.

“This is the only year I’ve ever been open to a lot of decisions. That’s just where I am,” Rice said. “It’s not really about [having a lot of] options, it’s about being open to a lot of decisions. There’s a lot of stuff that plays into it.”

Out of Fort Bend Marshall in 2017, Rice was an unranked recruit whose only other reported offer was from UMass. Rice redshirted his first season in Las Cruces before emerging as a reserve as a redshirt freshman, averaging 3.4 points per game in 10.9 minutes.

As a redshirt sophomore in 2019-20, Rice made a big leap during the pandemic-shortened season, boosting his scoring average to 12.8 points per game while shooting 38.8 percent from three-point range and 82.7 percent from the free-throw line, earning first-team All-WAC honors in the process.

Rice continued to play well as a redshirt junior and a redshirt senior, averaging 13.2 points, 5.3 rebounds, and 2.2 assists in 30.2 minutes per game in 2020-21 and 11.9 points, 4.8 rebounds, and a team-leading 3.2 assists in 32.4 minutes per game last season as New Mexico State won its first game in the NCAA Tournament since 1993.

An improved playmaker as a redshirt senior, Rice notched a career-high 19.5 percent assist rate while drawing 4.2 fouls per 40 minutes and taking 112 free throws — he’s an effective player getting to the line and converts there at 78 percent for his career. Rice is a decent three-point shooter, making 33.4 percent of his attempts from beyond the arc over his four seasons with the Aggies, but the Horns would certainly benefit tremendously if he can match the efficiency from his sophomore season.

Rice will join a guard corps currently set to feature highly-touted freshman Arterio Morris and senior Brock Cunningham. With Askew and Courtney Ramey in the transfer portal, Beard and his staff are still awaiting decisions from Marcus Carr and Andrew Jones.     

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Why? Do any transfers have to sit out anymore?

He’s already used his free transfer and I doubt he has a degree to be a grad transfer?  He’d need a coaching change to justify a waiver

Edited by Js1

Sad to see Devin go.

Though he by no means had the "one-and-done" potential of other five-star recruits, he played hard and seemed team oriented. By his senior year, he  could have been a 15/5/5 guy for Texas and an NBA prospect.

Wish he would have stayed but also wish him the best of luck.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I like it on paper.  6’4, double digit scorer the last three years for a good midmajor, decent assist numbers, presumably can defend.  I’d like better shooting from our perimeter players, but at least he’s around 80% on FTs the last three years and his average 3 PT%  is on a reasonably high volume.   He’s at least a credible shooter.

Also, Askew announcing his portal entry on the same day as this makes sense.  It’s one thing to say Arterio Morris is coming in, or even Carr is coming back (if he is).  But add to that taking Brumbaugh and now this guy, and you’d have to be really trying to avoid seeing that writing on the wall.

He's also teammates with Teddy Allen, so it would be pretty easy to get a trustworthy low down on what he's getting himself in for from Teddy's brother. 

They won a tournament game, which is more that can be said for all the transfers other than Bishop last year. 

He's a grinder. He came out of high school virtually unrecruited and improved himself each season. Like the staff has said, they want to stay old. This helps accomplish that. He rebounds, which indicates at least a modicum of toughness.

I'm with @Rockethorn1978 The team needs pure shooters more than it needs big men, really. Not that we don't need both, but this offense needs a consistent 3 point threat to really accomplish anything. At 38% 3 point shooting - like he shot as a redshirt freshman - this guy can qualify. 33%, not so much. But I do like that he'll help continue the team's ability to shoot free throws well. And he gets to the line a decent amount. 

I just don't have a good feeling about Beard bringing in shorter guards unless they're TJ Ford. He's not going to want to sacrifice length on defense for quickness and shooting on offense. Not for any meaningful time on the floor. But Rice has a legitimate shot at earning real minutes. Good pickup.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I just don't have a good feeling about Beard bringing in shorter guards unless they're TJ Ford. He's not going to want to sacrifice length on defense for quickness and shooting on offense. Not for any meaningful time on the floor. But Rice has a legitimate shot at earning real minutes. Good pickup.

I guess the real litmus test to this thought is going to be the SMU guard.

14 hours ago, Js1 said:

B8F88A92-B59E-47E1-901C-AA4B5D266D23.png

Kind of weird that he’s shot progressively worse from 3 and FT the last three years. You don’t usually see that. Hopefully he’ll regress back to the mean this year with us. We struggled with longer teams last year, so having a 6’4 guard should help. 

13 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I like it on paper.  6’4, double digit scorer the last three years for a good midmajor, decent assist numbers, presumably can defend.  I’d like better shooting from our perimeter players, but at least he’s around 80% on FTs the last three years and his average 3 PT%  is on a reasonably high volume.   He’s at least a credible shooter.

Also, Askew announcing his portal entry on the same day as this makes sense.  It’s one thing to say Arterio Morris is coming in, or even Carr is coming back (if he is).  But add to that taking Brumbaugh and now this guy, and you’d have to be really trying to avoid seeing that writing on the wall.

The sad part is, even Rice’s bad shooting season last year would’ve made him the second best shooter on the team. With Ramey gone, hRive is basically our best returning shooter. We still desperately need better shooting.

13 hours ago, Js1 said:

He’s already used his free transfer and I doubt he has a degree to be a grad transfer?  He’d need a coaching change to justify a waiver

So, sounds like he does have to sit one year.  If that’s correct, seems strange decision.

Put me in the category of sad to see Askew go.  Cleary he wasn't productive for us last year and seemed scared to shoot but I thought he had potential and the kind of kid that 2 seasons from now could be a leader.   Maybe neither player nor coach wanted to wait that long.  I would be curious to hear the actual backstory.

• Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Honestly, that's what I would draw up for an ideal player for Beard. If he can do all of those things he's basically perfect in my mind. Wish we'd had more of that this past season. Also, other people have commented on his work ethic. This team doesn't need a point guard as much as they need a scoring guard who can beat his defender off the dribble, shoot the three, and defend on switching. 

I don't really want Mitchell back honestly.  Dude was a turnover machine.  I liked his low post game, but he had some of the worst hands for a big that I can remember.

Losing Askew sucks IMO.  I think we were going to see a big jump for him this year.  He was one of the few players that was up to the task when we played at Tech last year in that hostile environment.  I'm still holding out hope that he looks at his options in the portal and then decides to stay put.  I like the thought of him running point and then having Carr play off the ball as a gunner (which is more in his nature).

Getting Timmy Allen back is big.  I think he made a good choice. Occasionally last year he would bring the ball up the court and I liked running the offense through him. He has underrated vision and isn't a ball stopper. If he works on his 3-point shooting, I think he has a shot to eventually make it to the NBA as an end of the bench player. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Tre probably will request a waiver from NCAA to avoid sitting out a year...

The new guidelines will take effect for student-athletes in January 2022, for those who would be requesting a transfer waiver to compete immediately in 2022-23. Current guidelines will apply for student-athletes seeking a waiver to compete in 2021-22.

In order to compete immediately after a second transfer, a student must meet either the current education-impacting disability guideline or an updated guideline that addresses a “real and imminent health and safety” threat.

The disability guideline requires the transferring student to provide documentation showing that the student-athlete needs support services and/or treatment that was unavailable or inadequate at the previous school but available at the school to which they are transferring.

The health and safety guideline requires schools to provide timely, objective documentation demonstrating that the transfer was due to unique, extenuating and extraordinary circumstances outside the student’s control and caused by an imminent threat to the student’s health or safety.

I can't wait to hear what his dad and handler come up with for the waiver request.