Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

8 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

What was the issue against Purdue (other than the massive foul differential)?

I do agree with prioritizing shooting.

you're right, it was an issue vs Purdue, one that i worried s lot about on these boards before the game. at the same time, Beard can coach another 30 years and he'll never have another team with last year's combo of no size/no athletes. also, Christian Bishop held his own, and i have to think that a healthy Disu would have as well. besides which, very very few teams have both a 7'4" eraser along with a 6'10" all american point/forward. all things considered, i can't imagine Chris Beard ever facing a worse matchup (in regards to size/athleticism) than 2022 Texas vs 2022 Purdue. 

edit: what an insane realization that i'm somehow only just now coming to- Shaka's last game at Texas is *the* best matchup he will ever have in his entire career in terms of his team having inherent advantages vs the opponent. the very next year Beard comes to Texas and plays a tourney game that will surely be as bad of a matchup as he'll ever have in his career. Shaka lost to ACU; Beard damn near beat Purdue (score was 74-71 with 1:30 left). i still find myself in disbelief at times that we got finally rid of Shaka and replaced him with Chris Beard. wow. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

you're right, it was an issue vs Purdue, one that i worried s lot about on these boards before the game. at the same time, Beard can coach another 30 years and he'll never have another team with last year's combo of no size/no athletes. Christian Bishop held his own, and i have to think that a healthy Disu would have as well. besides which, very very few teams have both a 7'4" eraser along with a 6'10" point/forward. all things considered, i can't imagine Beard ever facing a worse matchup (in regards to size/athleticism) than 2022 Texas vs 2022 Purdue. 

I was thinking the same thing when I commented - that's an extreme outlier, and I doubt it'll happen again. Granted, Painter loves stacking bigs at Purdue, so maybe it's a possibility. Sorry, the contrarian in me had to point it out.

It definitely would have been a different game with a healthy Disu. A very large percentage Texas makes the Elite 8 if so.

the Purdue game was given to them by the refs.  They called every possible foul including many that weren't fouls.  they shot 15 FT's against 15 seed St Peters and lost because they sucked and were given the next round. Oh and Painter sucks when he's not getting gifted 35 points.   We would have torched St Peters.

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

the Purdue game was given to them by the refs.  They called every possible foul including many that weren't fouls.  they shot 15 FT's against 15 seed St Peters and lost because they sucked and were given the next round. Oh and Painter sucks when he's not getting gifted 35 points.   We would have torched St Peters.

Beard will consistently chew and spit out teams like St. Peter's with the defense he employs. HIs kryptonite are teams with uber athletes who can take their defenders off the dribble, and excellent post players who are adept with their back to the basket. It's especially an issue when they have both.

I'll also say it sure would have been nice to have Tre Mitchell for that game. For his 5 fouls if nothing else. It's not like he was a good post defender. He was pretty terrible. But he may have done some damage in getting fouls on the other end on offense, and he would have given the other post defenders a needed break. 

It was just a bummer matchup. Win at home against KSU, or don't lose to TCU in the Big 12 tournament, and maybe Texas earns a 5 seed. Oh well. I'm not disappointed with last year's result. I'm hopeful this coming year Beard and crew can improve on it. That would be awesome.

I was trying to work out a starting five in my head, and it became difficult when I realized we have 7-8 guys who I would describe as "oh that guy is obviously starting". 

Hunter Carr Rice Allen Bishop? That puts the freshmen on the bench, as well as Disu. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I was trying to work out a starting five in my head, and it became difficult when I realized we have 7-8 guys who I would describe as "oh that guy is obviously starting". 

Hunter Carr Rice Allen Bishop? That puts the freshmen on the bench, as well as Disu. 

It’s a tragedy, really. I’m going to cry these alligator tears as I wring my hands. 

Heck, Rowan Brumbaugh is a national top 75 guy.

We loaded. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Mitchell will start. 

This team is way more loaded than last year. We bring back every newcomer from last year and we’ve upgraded the rest of the roster. Whoever was picking us in the top 5 preseason last year needs to be picking us #1 this year.

Im with Derka. I’ll roll with what we have for bigs especially since Disu should be healthy. I don’t know that people realize how much we missed him last year. Give me a shooter, please. I looked and Hunter wasn’t a very good 3 point shooter in high school either so I don’t think it’s going to come from him. His shooting firm looks repeatable enough so we will see. He should live behind the 3 point line this summer.

BItterwhiteasshat’s head is going to explode.

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Cross posting from the recruiting thread but Arterio Morris posted on his instagram story last night that he will be "home sweet home in Austin" in 12 hours. 

He's making it to campus. 

I haven't followed closely, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. Was that ever in doubt? It seems like the real concern has always been him pulling a Jaylon Tyson midway through the season. 

28 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I would guess the initial starters are:

Hunter

Carr

Mitchell

Allen

Bishop

But I might be way off on that, and I imagine that our starting lineup will be pretty fluid.  There are so many perimeter players it’s hard to predict.  And I have Morris coming off the bench even though he’s either the best or second best raw talent on the team.  I also have us starting 3 forwards even though we’re a guard heavy roster.  It could be 4 guards and one forward just as easily.

This team should be really good.  We are way, way more athletic than last year.

I wonder how much pressure we’re going to apply? Beard already likes employing that token full court-3/4 pressure that is part opportunistic, and part just being disruptive for its own sake so the opponent doesn’t have as much time to run their offense. I don’t see it being 40 minutes of hell, or…pardon the comparison…a havoc style defense, but I could see Texas putting more pressure on the ball and running even more traps than they did last season. But I’m guessing. 

I’m just so excited! I honestly can’t believe Beard is pulling this off. 

On 5/28/2022 at 9:35 PM, SL Xpress said:

Pretty much. Bryson Williams was around last year. He just played for a different team. 

and for off court reasons was never really an option for Texas according to Gerry.

Edited by HtownHorn

G- Hunter

G- Carr

F-Mitchell

F- Allen 

i feel like these four are starting for sure. any one of Morris, Bishop, or Disu could start alongside them. and who knows, maybe Beard even pulls in another transfer who is worthy of starting. either way, this is a truly uplifting prospect when you remember that we essentially were playing with five guys last year:

1FAD2425-C5DE-451E-8CAD-4A04E2CD6AE7.thumb.jpeg.fb4433d830ff9127ff585da22c0d3390.jpeg

look at that ^^^ compared to what we've already got going into next year. we will be taking a big step forward this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Hey, @shadow_operative Jacob Grandison from Illinois just hit the portal as a grad transfer. There’s your shooter.

This makes a lot of sense. Shot 41% from 3 last season. 

He's also 6'6 and looks more like a wing than a guard. Don't believe it would impact all these guards on the team. 

Beard has made some huge additions this offseason, and overall I like this team a lot. We will be absolute monsters on defense and should hopefully have guys who can actually create off the dribble this year, but man, we were a poor shooting team last year and we managed to get worse. Outside of noted sharpshooter Brock Cunningham, Ramey was the only player on our team who was even an average 3 point shooter.  The national average is about 35% and there's a good chance we don't have single guy on the roster who can hit that mark next year. It's possible Rice or Carr could get there, but it's not likely.  

I know Beard has other traits he values over shooting, and I think this team will is very good and fits what he wants to do very well, but at some point you have to be able to shoot the ball, especially the 3, and we will struggle mightily this year. It would be great it we could get someone like Grandison who could lift the entire team with his shooting. Disu's 3 point shot did not look good last year, but he shot 82 from the line, which is generally more predictive of 3 point shooting year over year, and he shot 37% from 3 on 3.8 shots per game his last year at Vandy, so there's reason to believe he could be our best 3 point shooter if healthy. I think a lot of this team's ceiling is dependent on Disu. He's our only true center, and potentially our best 3 point shooter with the ability to lure other teams' rim protectors out of the paint. If he can get healthy and find his form, the ceiling for this team is very high. If not, this season will be much more of a struggle. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Carr will never be a great 3 point shooter but I do think he can shoot 35% from 3. 

He shot 33.8% from 3 this year and should get better looks playing in a more off the ball role. 

Carr could see a small jump but he's never been that great of a 3 point shooter and his FT% confirms that. He may hit 35, but I don't think he has much above that.

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Also, Brumbraugh might be the best shooter on the team. 

Shot 43% and 40% from 3 the last 2 seasons in high school. He's the one player I don't think is being mentioned enough. It's a big jump to college but if he can make a few 3s that's all Texas needs from him next season. 

Brumbaugh might be technically, but it's doubtful he plays enough next year for it to matter. My post was focusing on what we can expect from the main 8 or so guys that will play next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Carr could see a small jump but he's never been that great of a 3 point shooter and his FT% confirms that. He may hit 35, but I don't think he has much above that.

Brumbaugh might be technically, but it's doubtful he plays enough next year for it to matter. My post was focusing on what we can expect from the main 8 or so guys that will play next year. 

I still think we see another addition to the roster. That’s not inside info even remotely. Just looking at some of the names available and what Beard has done in the past, along with the roster slots available.

The 3 point shooting and having only Bishop and Disu to defend the post are both huge red flags for sure. Don’t know any way around that as a fan following the team, as excited as I am to see it come together. 

The crazy thing was to see player’s percentages from the 3 drop last year compared to their career numbers. QI really thought last year’s team would shoot lights out from 3. I know Beard did, too, because he mentioned it several times in the preseason and then during the season as the media covering the team asked him questions about the offense. 

I don’t really know what to say other than I think it’s a legitimate concern. At least we’re going to be a lot more athletic. So look at the bright side. We’re going to be missing even more threes, but we’re going to do it much more athletically!

50 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I still think we see another addition to the roster. That’s not inside info even remotely. Just looking at some of the names available and what Beard has done in the past, along with the roster slots available.

The 3 point shooting and having only Bishop and Disu to defend the post are both huge red flags for sure. Don’t know any way around that as a fan following the team, as excited as I am to see it come together. 

The crazy thing was to see player’s percentages from the 3 drop last year compared to their career numbers. QI really thought last year’s team would shoot lights out from 3. I know Beard did, too, because he mentioned it several times in the preseason and then during the season as the media covering the team asked him questions about the offense. 

I don’t really know what to say other than I think it’s a legitimate concern. At least we’re going to be a lot more athletic. So look at the bright side. We’re going to be missing even more threes, but we’re going to do it much more athletically!

Yeah, we all know Beard's ambition is to compete for a title every year, and I have a hard time seeing him look at this roster and think it's complete.  I expect he'll keep pushing for another shooter or another big. If either Bishop or Disu go down, we'd be in trouble as it stands right now. 

I think Beard had the players putting in effort on defense to a higher degree than at any time in their careers.  My assumption is that this is the reason for the worse shooting.  I chalk it up to conditioning as much as anything.  Hopefully with another year in the system and a full offseason, we will see the percentages increase.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Beard has made some huge additions this offseason, and overall I like this team a lot. We will be absolute monsters on defense and should hopefully have guys who can actually create off the dribble this year, but man, we were a poor shooting team last year and we managed to get worse. Outside of noted sharpshooter Brock Cunningham, Ramey was the only player on our team who was even an average 3 point shooter.  The national average is about 35% and there's a good chance we don't have single guy on the roster who can hit that mark next year. It's possible Rice or Carr could get there, but it's not likely.  

Rice shot better than 35% from 3 his sophomore and junior year before it took a bit of a dip his last year at NMSU. He’s probably the best bet to get over it again this upcoming year.

But overall, yeah, shooting is the biggest concern to me, even more so than being undersized.

Edited by Lonestar88

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Also, Brumbraugh might be the best shooter on the team. 

Shot 43% and 40% from 3 the last 2 seasons in high school. He's the one player I don't think is being mentioned enough. It's a big jump to college but if he can make a few 3s that's all Texas needs from him next season. 

very, very few freshmen enter college and can shoot right away. off the top of my head, i can list AJ Abrams, Boobie Gibson, DJ Augustin, and KD as guys who could legitimately shoot *and earn the requisite PT* as freshmen at Texas. i don't see Brumbaugh being able to earn anything more than spot minutes as a freshman come conference play. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

even if Carr does get up to 35% it'll still come from him going 4/6 one night and 1/7 another night. 

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

FT% might be a decent predictor of 3P% but they are still independent of each other. There are plenty of good FT shooters that aren't great from 3 and vice versa (probably more of the former).

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Slight counterpoint:  he went 47/139 from 3 pt range (33.8%).  Had he made one more of those (48/139), that would have put him at 34.5%.  Two more, (49/139), that's 35.3%.

It's not exactly a big leap.  I do agree he probably doesn't have a ton of upside there, since he seems to be pretty spotty, but maybe he'll get better looks with some of these new guys on the court.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

29CE944B-DF59-45A1-A39A-70EDB83449D4.thumb.jpeg.615181a913a02ea270c1b9e3e3662b25.jpeg

we've got gonzaga, baylor, and creighton on our schedule this year, and we're about to join the conference with Tennessee. Alabama, and Auburn. 🤘🏼 

Gonzaga is fucking loaded. They have Timme coming back for his 8th year. That Longhorn baton girl from the 90s wonders if he is ever going to run out of eligibility. 

Fortunately, Beard knows how to devise a game plan to slow him down, and we have the personnel to do it!

• Haha 1

Holy shit timme is like 32. I remember going to watch him in high school like 11 years ago. That’s all the old jokes I got.

Coming back again must mean he’s gonna enjoy one more year and never play in the nba. Not sure he’s athletic enough to play in the nba but he kinda reminds me a little of old school scola around the bucket with all the up and unders.

14 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Holy shit timme is like 32. I remember going to watch him in high school like 11 years ago. That’s all the old jokes I got.

Coming back again must mean he’s gonna enjoy one more year and never play in the nba. Not sure he’s athletic enough to play in the nba but he kinda reminds me a little of old school scola around the bucket with all the up and unders.

Drew Timme’s decision to return to Gonzaga worth the wait for Zag fans

By  Jim Meehan    The Spokesman-Review

June 1, 2022 

Drew Timme isn’t all that active on social media, but it’s safe to assume he had Gonzaga fans and the college basketball world glued to their phones and/or computers Wednesday, scanning his accounts to learn his plans for next season.

It was worth the wait for GU followers.

Facing an 8:59 p.m. PST deadline to withdraw or remain in the NBA draft, Timme worked the shot clock down before posting “I’m back” on Twitter at 8:14. About 10 minutes later on Instagram, he posted several pictures of himself with the caption: “One Last Ride.”

Timme was the second-to-last player to announce his decision. Only UCLA’s Jules Bernard waited longer before announcing his intentions Wednesday night.

All five GU starters from last season declared for the draft. The Zags have known for a while Andrew Nembhard and Chet Holmgren, a probable top-three pick, were staying in the draft.

Gonzaga went 3 for 3 this week, welcoming the return of Rasir Bolton, Julian Strawther and Timme, one of the most popular and productive players in program history.

With Timme, Bolton and Strawther back in the fold, the Zags figure to be in the preseason top 10, possibly inside the top five, and among the national championship favorites heading into the 2022-23 season.

Timme, a two-time AP second-team All-American, has led the Zags in scoring each of the last two seasons and ranks 15th on the program’s all-time points list. He averaged 18.4 points, 6.8 rebounds and a career-best 2.8 assists last season as a junior.

He was the WCC player of the year last season and a finalist for the John Wooden player of the year award. Timme won the 2021 Karl Malone power forward of the year award and was a finalist for the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar center of the year award as a junior.

The 6-foot-10, 235-pound Timme made substantial income last season from name, image and likeness (NIL) deals with at least two local businesses and three national companies. His earning power will almost certainly grow next season as one of the most recognizable players in college basketball and a leading candidate for player of the year honors on a highly ranked team.

Timme, though, flatly said months ago money wouldn’t be a factor in his considerations, noting that he would make the best decision for his situation.

Timme now has another season to try to elevate his draft stock and convince talent evaluators he can contribute on an NBA team. To do so, he’ll likely have to demonstrate he can defend smaller players in pick-and-rolls and stretch the floor at the offensive end in addition to his refined low-post scoring ability.

Timme appeared to slip recently in NBA mock drafts, despite strong scrimmage performances at the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago last month. He led his team in scoring (13 and 21 points) while connecting on 11 of 16 shots and grabbing nine boards in a pair of scrimmages. He showed off his extensive collection of post moves and connected on 4 of 5 3-pointers in his second scrimmage.

The Richardson, Texas, native was listed in the second round of numerous mock drafts in May, but not as many since the calendar turned to June. NBAdraft.net’s most recent mock draft has Timme as a late second-round selection by Portland, but he wasn’t in ESPN’s or SI.com’s two-round projections.

Timme is No. 63 on ESPN’s best available list. He’s No. 68 on Tankathon’s big board and No. 86 according to  NBAdraftroom.com. He wasn’t listed in CBSsports.com’s top 75.

Timme’s return solidifies a frontcourt that includes senior Anton Watson, who averaged 7.3 points and 4.7 rebounds last season, and LSU transfer Efton Reid, who averaged 6.3 points in 34 starts.

Strawther returns

Julian Strawther went to sleep Tuesday night still unsure of where he’d be playing basketball this fall. At 7 a.m. on Wednesday, the Gonzaga wing was jolted awake by a phone call from his agent. Strawther had multiple conversations with those in his inner circle, got the clarity he needed sometime around 7:30 a.m. and went public four hours later, waiting to reveal his announcement until he polished off a mango pineapple smoothie.

“Spokane let’s run it back,” Strawther posted on his Twitter and Instagram accounts.

On the heels of what he’d later call “definitely the hardest decision I ever had to make,” Strawther joined Rasir Bolton and became the second Gonzaga starter in as many days to announce his return to the Bulldogs in 2022-23, bolstering Mark Few’s backcourt and giving the Zags another piece that could be crucial toward a deep NCAA Tournament run next season.

“I feel like boulders are off my shoulders, man,” Strawther told The Spokesman-Review Wednesday afternoon. “… As soon as that decision was made this morning, just immediate relief.

“It really happened this morning at 7:30 and yeah, took as much time as I needed.”

College players had until 8:59 p.m. PT on Wednesday to withdraw their names from the NBA Draft. Strawther was transparent with his process, reaffirming to Gonzaga fans Tuesday night on social media he was still undecided despite various reports indicating he’d already made a decision.

“Everyone that ‘knows’ my decision, please tell me because I have no clue,” Strawther tweeted just shy of 9 p.m. “Y’all crack me up man.”

He's a Christian Laettner wannabe...

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No one has to rebuild in the portal era anymore 

Well, that’s not true. SOMEONE does. The portal is a zero sum game, after all. For one team to get better, another team has to get worse. 

But it is true that programs with robust NILs available are going to be performing at a different level in general. 

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Well, that’s not true. SOMEONE does. The portal is a zero sum game, after all. For one team to get better, another team has to get worse. 

But it is true that programs with robust NILs available are going to be performing at a different level in general. 

Sorry, top 15 programs don’t and won’t. That’s for sure. 

26 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Rothstein had Gonzaga #2 before this news dropped. They’ve reloaded.

at what point does Mark Few start getting the Rick Barnes treatment? people go on and on and about "talent being wasted" by Barnes- at what point does Few start to get held to the same standard as every single other coach? hell, even Jay Wright had people calling him a choker before winning two ncaa titles in three years; why is Few immune from this criticism?

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Sorry, top 15 programs don’t and won’t. That’s for sure. 

Yep. That’s what it brings. I remember people used to tell me how the transfer portal would help bring about parity, and I scoffed. Not that some parity can’t happen, but in general the rich will get richer. That’s how it works.

And it’s across the board in all sports, not just football and men’s basketball, as you know. Baseball has always been reliant on transfers because of how the system works, but women’s volleyball it’s becoming transformative, with no better example than Texas. The thing about a lot of these sports, is that a relatively small amount of NIL support goes a long way. 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

at what point does Mark Few start getting the Rick Barnes treatment? I'm being serious here- people go on and on and about "talent being wasted" by Barnes- at what point does Few start to get held to the same standard as every single other coach? hell, even Jay Wright had people calling him a choker before winning two ncaa titles in three years; why is Few immune from this criticism?

If he hadn’t gotten to the championship game a couple of years ago he might have. How much success and how recent it is has a lot to do with perception. 

Probably the coach that needs a recent success feather in his cap more than any other is Calipari. That guy isn’t getting brutalized yet, but a third year with no NCAA tournament or another first round loss is going to start the chittering in a big way. 

Gonzaga fans have a different mentality and don't believe they are "wasting talent". At least the last time I checked. In 2019 when we bounced them in the EE, their board was filled with comments about how they are the perpetual underdog and being beat up on by "P5 athletes", even though they consistently pull in some of the best recruiting classes in the country. I'll believe Few's seat is even a few degrees above normal if they start getting bounced in the first weekend in the next couple of years.