Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

51 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Drew Timme’s decision to return to Gonzaga worth the wait for Zag fans

By  Jim Meehan    The Spokesman-Review

June 1, 2022 

He's a Christian Laettner wannabe...

Most players in college basketball are Christian Laettner wannabes…

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Gonzaga fans have a different mentality and don't believe they are "wasting talent". At least the last time I checked. In 2019 when we bounced them in the EE, their board was filled with comments about how they are the perpetual underdog and being beat up on by "P5 athletes", even though they consistently pull in some of the best recruiting classes in the country. I'll believe Few's seat is even a few degrees above normal if they start getting bounced in the first weekend in the next couple of years.

Yeah I was going to say, both their fans and the cbb media in general still talk about them as though the expectations for them are a level below the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world. That being said, even as a Barnes apologist I can admit Few has had a lot more consistency and tournament success than even peak Barnes did at Texas. Few hasn't had a first round loss since Steph Curry's Davidson team in 2008. And their last 7 tournaments read off like this:

• Lost Reginal Semifinal
  • Lost National Final
  • Lost Regional Final
  • Lost Regional Semifinal
  • Lost National Final
  • Lost Regional Semifinal
  • Lost Regional Final
Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Drew Timme’s decision to return to Gonzaga worth the wait for Zag fans

By  Jim Meehan    The Spokesman-Review

June 1, 2022 

He's a Christian Laettner wannabe...

I guess laettner. His game and footwork is Luis scola to me. Kinda slow and plods around but somehow drops 32 and grabs 15 rebounds and you’re like wtf just happened. And yes I would have taken him all day at Texas. Especially since he’s played 8 seasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I used to think Carson Edward's was Shaka's biggest miss, but when you factor in Timme is going to play 4 years and Will Baker turned out to be *less* than expected it's hard to argue there being a bigger recruiting blunder than that one. 

This. 

Y’all talk about it like a recruiting miss. There is zero chance he would have been used effectively, especially by Smart, but Beard, too, wouldn’t have been a good fit for him. 

Timme wasn’t a recruiting miss. Shaka was a coaching miss. 

Recruiting wasn’t the issue under Shaka anyway. I get the temptation to think about whatmighthavebeens, but in this case the what if wouldn’t have been as pretty as some of you seem to be fantasizing. 

• Hook 'Em 5

51 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Y’all talk about it like a recruiting miss. There is zero chance he would have been used effectively, especially by Smart, but Beard, too, wouldn’t have been a good fit for him. 

Timme wasn’t a recruiting miss. Shaka was a coaching miss. 

Recruiting wasn’t the issue under Shaka anyway. I get the temptation to think about whatmighthavebeens, but in this case the what if wouldn’t have been as pretty as some of you seem to be fantasizing. 

I don't know man. I think he would've been used like Osetkowski which would've fit Timme's skillset extremely well. Osetkowski was often used as a facilitator in the offense, but unfortunately no one could miss a point blank bunny as effectively as he did while here on the 40. Contrary to popular opinion, the open post offense wasn't ill-effective because of the alignment or theory behind it. It was the lack of shot discipline, continuity, and composure demonstrated by the headman which filtered down to his team at the most ill-fated times that made it look like shit more often than not. Regardless, judging by Timme's choice of program and smarts I doubt that even if we made him our #1 prospect over Baker he would've chosen to come here anyway.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

On 6/1/2022 at 12:22 PM, SL Xpress said:

I still think we see another addition to the roster. That’s not inside info even remotely. Just looking at some of the names available and what Beard has done in the past, along with the roster slots available.

The 3 point shooting and having only Bishop and Disu to defend the post are both huge red flags for sure. Don’t know any way around that as a fan following the team, as excited as I am to see it come together. 

The crazy thing was to see player’s percentages from the 3 drop last year compared to their career numbers. QI really thought last year’s team would shoot lights out from 3. I know Beard did, too, because he mentioned it several times in the preseason and then during the season as the media covering the team asked him questions about the offense. 

I don’t really know what to say other than I think it’s a legitimate concern. At least we’re going to be a lot more athletic. So look at the bright side. We’re going to be missing even more threes, but we’re going to do it much more athletically!

You can negate bad 3P shooting be getting to the line and hitting your FTs. Texas should be a top 10ish team in FTA per game next season with the improved athleticism. It was also nice to see Texas lead the Big 12 in FT%, that was a nice change from the low 200s we usually saw out of Shakaball. The best FT shooting team he had was his last, which was 176th in the country. Beard got them up to 76 in year one. That should really be a focus in the offseason.

Edited by HtownHorn

7 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don't follow CBB too closely in the offseason besides Texas stuff, so maybe I'm missing something, but why in the fuck is TCU #10? Did they land like 3 huge transfers I'm not aware of?

They return their top 6 scorers from a 21 win team that played better at the end of the season and took Arizona to wire. That’s all it takes in college basketball now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don't follow CBB too closely in the offseason besides Texas stuff, so maybe I'm missing something, but why in the fuck is TCU #10? Did they land like 3 huge transfers I'm not aware of?

They’re only in his preseason poll. I haven’t seen TCU in the top 10 for other writers, although they are in the top 25. 

I’ve seen Texas anywhere from 9-13.

tech is in the 20-25 range.

only cbs had aggy in their too early top 25

17 hours ago, Js1 said:

Not buying #9 without another big

I know what you are saying but there is nobody below us with an airtight case to be higher. Arkansas probably has the best argument to be above us but they lost a lot. Lots of parity again. 

On 6/2/2022 at 7:18 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

I guess laettner.

Christian Laettner scored more points in the NBA than Wes Unseld, Alvin Robertson, Don Nelson, Mark Price, and Penny Hardaway. I don’t think Timme is going to have an NBA career approaching any of those dudes, Laettner included…

24 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Christian Laettner scored more points in the NBA than Wes Unseld, Alvin Robertson, Don Nelson, Mark Price, and Penny Hardaway. I don’t think Timme is going to have an NBA career approaching any of those dudes, Laettner included…

I agree I said Luis scola more than laettner that’s why I said I guess. He has old man game, tons of pivot moves and up and unders. I don’t think he will make a nba roster either which is why he’s going back to Gonzaga for a 7th year.

57 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Yep. That wasn't an easy pass, either.

first thing i thought when i saw it. matt coleman is the only guard we've had who could consistently make a good lob since Isaiah/Felix. fundamentally lobs are incredibly simple (lob the ball right next to the rim) and yet a majority of players at every level struggle with them. i'm hoping against hope that Disu can play to his potential this year. it would be like signing a brand new top 5 national transfer.

I too am hopeful Disu shows some of his promise this year. Last year there were times he looked like he could barely run without tripping over his own feet, which was likely a result of getting his mind and body in sync after his serious injury and rehab.

Even with Disu, we really could use (and I fear we sorely need) a second player taller than Bishop to make it past weekend #1 in the ncaa tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

I too am hopeful Disu shows some of his promise this year. Last year there were times he looked like he could barely run without tripping over his own feet, which was likely a result of getting his mind and body in sync after his serious injury and rehab.

Even with Disu, we really could use (and I fear we sorely need) a second player taller than Bishop to make it past weekend #1 in the ncaa tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d prefer another post defender, and haven’t given up all hope. There’s a huge need for a premier 3 point shooter who can at least be serviceable at switching on defense as well.

But I am excited to have more athleticism and some players who can consistently break down defenders off the dribble. If the team has some holes so be it. All I really want is to see some incremental progress from last year, so a top 3 finish in the league and at least another first round win. Frankly if they can move up a seed or two and be playing in the 4/5 matchup rather than the 3/6, that may be all that’s necessary to get to the 2nd weekend.

One thing I know is if I’m a fan of a team at all dependent on 3 point shooting, Texas is the last team I’m going to want to see in the tournament, and that consists of a lot of the teams who experience success, especially the upsets  

3 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Glad it wasn't a conference opponent. Wish him well!

This. Zona is a fun spot for him. Hope he kills it and has a nice career in Europe somewhere. 

I do wonder if he maybe didn't love CB. That or he didn't want to be a part of a more clogged guard room next season. Anyone that went through three years of Shaka and stuck around gets my respect. Him, AJ, Brock, Febres... all great Longhorns. 

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This. Zona is a fun spot for him. Hope he kills it and has a nice career in Europe somewhere. 

I do wonder if he maybe didn't love CB. That or he didn't want to be a part of a more clogged guard room next season. Anyone that went through three years of Shaka and stuck around gets my respect. Him, AJ, Brock, Febres... all great Longhorns. 

Think it’s time for a profile pic change

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Ramey would be the least talented guard on the roster. He left because Texas and Beard recruited over him. Something about have break away layups getting stuffed from behind started to wear thin in close NCAA tournament games.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Ramey would be the least talented guard on the roster. He left because Texas and Beard recruited over him. Something about have break away layups getting stuffed from behind started to wear thin in close NCAA tournament games.

I hope so. That makes him a higher character guy in my eyes. 

The fucking layups in transition... my God that was painful.