Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

31 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Guess we're done then, huh. 

There’s still a few portal guys out there I thought we might go after, but it doesn’t look like it at this point, no. 

I sure hope Bishop and Disu stay healthy. I mean, I hope that every year for all our players, but I’m extra hopeful about it this coming season. Beard is really selective about post defenders.

I’m curious what direction he goes in after this year when Bishop is gone, and if Disu performs at a high level like we all hope, I’m sure he’s heading to the draft, too. Ah well. We’ll kick that can down the street a bit and think about it more when the time comes. I remember at Tech it was an annual thing with Tech fans, too. 

24 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Are all of these guys scholarship players now, or are any of these walk-ons (Bott, Perryman, Clark)?

Men’s basketball is allowed 13 scholarships (women’s basketball has 15), so I’m sure someone will get a scholarship. The budget is there. 

There are some rules involved to prevent coaches from pulling scholarships, so there’d need to be an agreement if it’s not intended to make them a scholarship player moving forward. Usually when someone is given a scholarship they make a neat video of it, a la Licon last year. 

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

Are all of these guys scholarship players now, or are any of these walk-ons (Bott, Perryman, Clark)?

Bott and Clark are for sure walk-ons.  I think Perryman is on scholarship but I could be wrong about that.  Either way it looks like there’s at least one scholarship open.

This should be an Elite 8 roster.

Edited by Snake Diggity

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

oh ok, so RB can hoop hoop:

Yeah, it’s not like he’s a throw in. He’s a solidly top 75-100 kid. This team has a great mixture of returners, transfers, and freshmen. Looking at who we’re going after in the next two classes, Beard and Co. are continuing to go after top talent. 

Don’t need to set the world on fire this next season, although I won’t complain if they do. Any incremental progress would be outstanding. Top 3 finish in the Big 12 and Sweet 16 or more in the tournament and the program will be golden. But I would like to get to the Sweet 16 sooner rather than later. 

I’m really excited about the season. Thanks for posting the social media posts here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

BTW, I feel like I’ve seen more dunks in the social feed this summer than I did all of last year. Maybe a slight exaggeration…but only slight. 

lol for real though. after six years of Shaka Smart teams that were just as equipped to  win a track meet as they were to win a basketball game, last year was definitely a strange one to watch with such a stark lack of athleticism. i have no doubt that this season will look noticeably different in that regard.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/15/2022 at 3:19 PM, shadow_operative said:

oh ok, so RB can hoop hoop:

Straight up hooper? 

The twitter BB guys like Goodman really raved about him after he committed to us.  

Edited by Js1

43 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

quick checkin with one of our Surly posters

Reveal hidden contents

Bro calm down…

This exact tweet was posted just a few posts up. 

21 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

The matchups this year seem lazy

This.  We’re playing Tennessee again? I’ve always wondered how they determine the matchups. It feels like Texas has only played 3 teams in this thing ever—Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Tennessee. (We’ve also played Mississippi and Georgia but no one remembers that.)

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Bro calm down…

This.  We’re playing Tennessee again? I’ve always wondered how they determine the matchups. It feels like Texas has only played 3 teams in this thing ever—Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Tennessee. (We’ve also played Mississippi and Georgia but no one remembers that.)

Yep that was my thought, too. And we're going to Baton Rouge for the 2nd time in 3 years.

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Bro calm down…

This. Very lazy.

They shuffled around a few but kept Texas-Tennessee, Kentucky-Kansas and Iowa State-Mizzou.  

Give me like, Texas-Alabama, Baylor-Kentucky, Kansas-Arkansas, Tech-Tennessee, TCU-Auburn.  Heck, Texas-Alabama is good to mirror the football game in September.