Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

On 7/22/2022 at 1:22 PM, Delta Charlie said:

For basketball, none of the upper level seats will be open.  The large white panels will be brought down to cover them up. Only the lower level and club seats will be used for the games.  I suppose eventually, those seats might be opened up for hoops if we were to host some NCAA games, but for now, only lower level seats are available.  I also suppose they could open up the upper level for select games, but a strategy for the sales of those seats would have to be figured out to keep them in Texas fans' hands.

Also the point of not opening up the top level is to make it louder.  Moody Center was designed with acoustics in mind for concerts.  With the upper level open sound will be absorbed and disappear.  With the panels, sound will be reflected back down to the court, making it a louder environment.  Because of this I wouldn't count on the upper deck being open for basketball games ever, except for very special circumstances.  

2 hours ago, chemHORN said:

Also the point of not opening up the top level is to make it louder.  Moody Center was designed with acoustics in mind for concerts.  With the upper level open sound will be absorbed and disappear.  With the panels, sound will be reflected back down to the court, making it a louder environment.  Because of this I wouldn't count on the upper deck being open for basketball games ever, except for very special circumstances.  

We’ll see. I wouldn’t count on it being closed forever. If they can sell all of those tickets to every game, they’re going to open it up. I don’t give a shit how much quieter it makes the arena. Especially how apparently easy it is to open and close it. 

I envision a program where Beard is making regular deep runs in the tournament, with a perpetual top 10 ranking, and an extremely high student engagement. Under that scenario keeping those seats off the market will be extremely difficult. I’d say impossible, even. Not in the next couple of years, necessarily, but you said “ever.”

That said, I don’t think it’s dumb to make them unavailable now, and as a design choice I think it has a lot of merit. You see all kinds of temporary tarps placed over seats at other venues for various events, and other ad hoc solutions for when seating isn’t made available for purchase. This seems WAY more professional, and will absolutely help acoustics versus having the areas open with empty seats, and some kind of covering over them. 

Right now it’s even better from a marketing perspective to help create more future demand for basketball tickets. Much easier to sell a commodity with a perceived scarcity versus one with an abundance. I’m hopeful and expectant that we can start some kind of sellout streak this season. If we do, some part of that is going to be the reduced seating playing a factor. 

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm also calling BS that it will be closed for all the games. You know what's louder than acoustic panels? Thousands more fans. 

BTW, what did you think of the arena and your seats? Especially compared to FEC.

I just like that the designers thought it through and made this an option.  The flexibility built into the design of the Moody is certainly a big deal.  Big concert? Open up the upper level for more fans.  Smaller show? close the upper level off for great sound.  Hoops - let's start small, but have the option to go big!  

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Touting a sellout streak when “sellout” is defined as “We sold all of the seats except the ones we covered in acoustic panels because they didn’t sell” is a little too aggy.

I guess. I wasn’t thinking about bragging rights. I was thinking from a marketing perspective. Seems like a smart business decision to me. But if you want to go with aggy, sounds good to me. I just want to see the program on an upward trajectory. And yeah, bragging about umpteen sellouts when not every seat is being made available sounds dumb as something to lord over other programs, but in terms of convincing more people to come to games, I like it. 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

That said, I don’t think it’s dumb to make them unavailable now, and as a design choice I think it has a lot of merit. You see all kinds of temporary tarps placed over seats at other venues for various events, and other ad hoc solutions for when seating isn’t made available for purchase. This seems WAY more professional, and will absolutely help acoustics versus having the areas open with empty seats, and some kind of covering over them. 

Right now it’s even better from a marketing perspective to help create more future demand for basketball tickets. Much easier to sell a commodity with a perceived scarcity versus one with an abundance. I’m hopeful and expectant that we can start some kind of sellout streak this season. If we do, some part of that is going to be the reduced seating playing a factor. 

BTW, what did you think of the arena and your seats? Especially compared to FEC.

It's the nicest arena I've ever been in (specifically the NW corner that opens up to DKR and has the veranda/balcony on top is stunning). Our seats sucked but we had a good time. This was from right below the very top. 

IMG_20220721_202651809_HDR.thumb.jpg.6c6ad57b29b1b4be0b3ce8d56873650b.jpg

The beer prices fucking suck, though. 

Edited by ztejas

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's the nicest arena I've ever been in (specifically the NW corner that opens up to DKR and has the veranda/balcony on top is stunning). Our seats sucked but we had a good time. This was from right below the very top. 

IMG_20220721_202651809_HDR.thumb.jpg.6c6ad57b29b1b4be0b3ce8d56873650b.jpg

The beer prices fucking suck, though. 

That would not be an ideal seat for a basketball game, but better than the FEC. Unless Kendrick really is an inch tall.

I wonder how it would compare to the upper deck seats in other arenas? Honestly, I thought the seating would be even more vertical than it is.

Thanks for the pic. I’m glad you had a good time. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Definitely better than that. And I sat pretty far up in the EC for some games. 

The FEC layout was so dumb for basketball. Sitting far up in the FEC was like sitting in orbit from around Round Rock. Then you had the rounded corners. Those had to be the worst seats in all of college basketball aside from sitting right behind a pillar in some of the older arenas. Even the best seats weren’t comparable to the best seats in other arenas.

But sitting in the lower bowl was never bad for me at FEC. Other than the annoyance I’d create in the people around me by actually making noise.

I won’t miss that place, though. 

Man, the very last thing I care about is # of sellouts or how the marketing guys calculate it.

If we're routinely at ~ 10K fans per game and the panels make it louder, great.  If we see evidence that we could sell more seats and it makes sense, go for it.  Hell, they might be able to open up PART of the upper deck (say straddling center court) and go to 13K or whatever and still keep the acoustic benefits of the panels behind the baskets.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, the very last thing I care about is # of sellouts or how the marketing guys calculate it.

If we're routinely at ~ 10K fans per game and the panels make it louder, great.  If we see evidence that we could sell more seats and it makes sense, go for it.  Hell, they might be able to open up PART of the upper deck (say straddling center court) and go to 13K or whatever and still keep the acoustic benefits of the panels behind the baskets.

Tim And Eric Mind Blown GIF by Adult Swim

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, all I care about is the program being on an upwards trajectory. Ultimately that means deep runs in the tournament, but that entails recruiting, transfers, a robust NIL environment, talent development, overall coaching philosophy, tactical decisions within games, high seeds (or low seeds, depending on how yiu view it). It also means a big home court advantage, a general excitement around the program, and hopefully generating a win here and there because of it. For example, I feel like the crowd might have been a factor against both Tennessee and Kansas last year. 

Having said that, I don’t care about whether the arena has every seat available for sale, and what it means when Texas says they sell out a game other than how it impacts the future of the program. 

But the current conversation started partly in response to @chemHORN saying it would be closed off like this for forever more. I don’t see that being likely at all. But it will if they don’t think they’re going to sell the other tickets on a regular basis. I just happen to believe Texas basketball is going to get to a place where it’s selling those tickets regularly. 

I would say us selling out every seat including the upper deck, with the way we've sold basketball tickets in the past, is a very special circumstance.  If we get to that point, then yes I could see them opening it up full time.  I was more talking about what the current plan is, and that the panels were designed to make it louder for basketball games.  Until we can prove we can sell out the arena on a regular basis, I wouldn't expect to see the upper deck sold for games.  The panels for basketball are reflective to bounce sound back.  If those aren't down, in the 2nd deck there are acoustic panels meant to absorb sound so that the sound at concerts doesn't get muddy from sound bouncing around off concrete.  If we can only put 20 people up there for the majority of the games, then it would sound like the FEC in there.  That's all I meant.  

47 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Disu and Brumbaugh won then Disu ran to the sidelines first to chest bump teammates there and left his boy hanging for a bit, lol. 

That’s a really cool idea to make tossing that heavy ass medicine ball more fun, that’s for sure. 

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I love these, but outside of being the head basketball coach conducting it, this had nothing to do with Texas basketball. 

If Beard pocket tweeted gibberish and random emojis, tweet bot would post it. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yes, we wouldn't want to crowd out all the other Texas basketball content on the board by posting things like that.  I'm worried people won't see and properly appreciate my posts from 2 months ago if we bump them off the page with filler like clips of Chris Beard.

Did you feel like my post was a lecture? 

I don’t actually care if threads “stay on topic.” The amount of thread policing surrounding staying on topic and the anxiety people go through regarding whether it’s okay to post a new thread or not, I find utterly ridiculous. The only thing I’ve never liked about shaggy/surly.

I was merely making an observation. This fireside chat had nothing to do with basketball. 

To me the more activity the better. I try to reply to anyone who makes an effort at creating any kind of basketball content. I’m not saying my replies are any good, but again, activity is vital. 

38 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Brandon Chappell is official as a new assistant coach

Yeah, from Beaumont/Lamar via UNLV. Beard continues to persecute the Runnin' Rebs after ditching them for Texas Tech. 

Here's one of the better articles I found on the hire:

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/article/Beaumont-native-joins-Texas-basketball-coaching-17339636.php

As a player, Chappell won at every level. He was on Ozen's 2001 state championship team as a sharp-shooting guard alongside star center Kendrick Perkins....

At Lamar, he was a two-time team captain for the Cardinals while playing under coach Billy Tubbs. Chappell still ranks among the school's all-time leaders in three-point makes and three-point field-goal percentage. 

Chappell is known as a fierce recruiter throughout Southeast Texas and has trained many of the region's top players in years past. He has a close relationship with Port Arthur native and former Texas Longhorn star, J'Covan Brown. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Cross posting from the recruiting thread but that's Arterio Morris shooting free throws isn't it? First real confirmation I've seen on social media that he's still practicing with the team. 

Mannn I’d love to get Yates!!!!!! 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Well, that’s why you bring in Brandon Chappell right there. If we don’t own the Beaumont area while he’s at Texas something has gone wrong with the plan. 

Exactly!!!!!! Chappell and Kendrick Perkins  played together at Ozen and those names ring bells out here. . Beard she get his pick not just in Beaumont but the whole Golden Triangle 

i was excited when we landed beard- i never ever thought he was even a possibility until it happened. but i was ecstatic when he brought in Maligi and Howard. that's when i knew that he was more serious about winning at Texas than any coach we've ever had. maybe not more serious than Barnes per se, but clearly more ambitious and more willing to do what's required to win at the highest level. Beard has absolutely crushed it in recruiting since he arrived, and i can't see that change going any time soon. 

46 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i was excited when we landed beard- i never ever thought he was even a possibility until it happened. but i was ecstatic when he brought in Maligi and Howard. that's when i knew that he was more serious about winning at Texas than any coach we've ever had. maybe not more serious than Barnes per se, but clearly more ambitious and more willing to do what's required to win at the highest level. Beard has absolutely crushed it in recruiting since he arrived, and i can't see that change going any time soon. 

I’m hopeful we can start putting guys in the NBA soon. Deep runs in the tournament would also be helpful. It looks like we have the NIL portion in a good place. We won’t win every NIL battle, but we’re obviously competitive. 

The only other thing is running a wide open offense with a lot of transition and player freedom. I’m not sure I see that at Texas under Beard, but you never know. Barnes certainly incorporated more of that with TJ and Augustin.

Tbh, not sure I want to see it. I want to see Beard successful in the tournament, more so than on the recruiting trail. Obviously they go hand in hand, but if he feels like the best path to deep runs and championships is a deliberate offensive style with a suffocating defense, then I’m all in for that. I do think there’s a place for every type of player to excel in his system other than a back to the basket type, but those are quickly becoming extinct anyway. Also, the NBA has already indicated they’re doing away with one and done in the next collective bargaining agreement, so that will have a huge impact as well. When that happens the very top tier of players won’t be available, which I think is going to help Beard and his approach to recruiting more than hurt it. 

What do you think?

Edited by SL Xpress