Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

Well, Donewald is supposed to be a great developer of talent but not as good as a recruiter. 

Being pulled from the road since June is a clear indication “we don’t want you here.” I guess he couldn’t find a landing spot during that time. Going into the “agent business” lol. He’ll be a runner for an agency rather than a basketball program, then. 

I’ll say this. Leaving Kansas for Texas was a terrible career move on his part. He burned every bridge in Lawrence on his way out with the coach he played for in college. He left right before he’s able to put a national championship on his resume. And he’s basically insulted by Texas until he finally leaves - I’m assuming on his own volition since they’re not saying he was fired. 

My guess is that as soon as Chappell was brought on board it was made apparent to Howard he wasn’t valued at all, and finally his pride made him leave in a huff. 

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry also said Self and his assistants were pulled off the road last month so there might be some NCAA stuff about to come down that could include Howard.

Based on the wording by the UT spokesperson it sounds like a polite firing. They let him resign. 

If this was already in the works months ago it could simply be because Beard didn't think he was a good assistant. 

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry also said Self and his assistants were pulled off the road last month so there might be some NCAA stuff about to come down that could include Howard.

Not all his assistants. Just Self and his top guy. KU reported it as voluntary. I hadn’t connected the two. That makes sense. 

They still got Chris Johnson’s commitment just a bit ago, so it’s not clear KU’s recruiting suffered for it. 

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

Not all his assistants. Just Self and his top guy. KU reported it as voluntary. I hadn’t connected the two. That makes sense. 

They still got Chris Johnson’s commitment just a bit ago, so it’s not clear KU’s recruiting suffered for it. 

Ah, got it. But I’m sure Howard being on that staff and potentially being involved wasn’t helping his stance here.

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ah, got it. But I’m sure Howard being on that staff and potentially being involved wasn’t helping his stance here.

Well, given that all three of Self, Townsend, and Howard were all pulled off the road at the same time doesn’t seem like a coincidence to me. That seems very much connected. 

I would prefer he got another job in basketball somewhere. That’s not the type of guy you want floating around feeling like he doesn’t have anything left to lose. 

I’d also prefer if someone at UT were going to have a problem with him - and I don’t actually know why this has gone down, other than the being pulled off the road and the recent hiring of a new assistant are almost certainly related - they would have brought it up when he was hired. He was a known quantity from the get go. 

It also makes me think of Chris Beard going on and on with the media yesterday about how he’d “never, and I mean never, say anything bad about the GOAT, Rodney Terry.” 

“Oh? What about the rest of your staff? Would you never say anything bad about Howard, either?”

29 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Well, Donewald is supposed to be a great developer of talent but not as good as a recruiter. 

Being pulled from the road since June is a clear indication “we don’t want you here.” I guess he couldn’t find a landing spot during that time. Going into the “agent business” lol. He’ll be a runner for an agency rather than a basketball program, then. 

I’ll say this. Leaving Kansas for Texas was a terrible career move on his part. He burned every bridge in Lawrence on his way out with the coach he played for in college. He left right before he’s able to put a national championship on his resume. And he’s basically insulted by Texas until he finally leaves - I’m assuming on his own volition since they’re not saying he was fired. 

My guess is that as soon as Chappell was brought on board it was made apparent to Howard he wasn’t valued at all, and finally his pride made him leave in a huff. 

I posted this in the recruiting thread but Gerry brought up a few weeks ago that Beard believed he needed more player development types on staff. I thought it was in reference to support staff but now I think it was about Howard.

Wasn't the initial staff a bunch of recruiters compared to player development types? I know Maligi and Howard were primarily known as recruiters. Even Terry to some degree.

The Kansas connection makes sense but it also makes sense that Beard might have realized he needed more than just recruiters on staff. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I posted this in the recruiting thread but Gerry brought up a few weeks ago that Beard believed he needed more player development types on staff. I thought it was in reference to support staff but now I think it was about Howard.

Wasn't the initial staff a bunch of recruiters compared to player development types? I know Maligi and Howard were primarily known as recruiters. Even Terry to some degree.

The Kansas connection makes sense but it also makes sense that Beard might have realized he needed more than just recruiters on staff. 

If you watch during the games you can see Howard practically ignored the entire game. Other than against KU, when he was called on a lot. 

Howard has a reputation as kind of a jolly goofball, which doesn’t really match Beard’s 24/7 intensity. To me Beard made a very strong decision he wanted to go after the top recruits in college basketball when he first got the job at Texas. Bringing on Howard with his shoe connections was a big part of that. And while recruiting has been very good, Howard hasn’t brought in any whales. If he’s not going to bring in whales, what good is he? 

At Tech he had Mark Adams on staff, who was known as more of an X’s and O’s guy. I thought from the very beginning he lacked that kind of guy on his new staff. Terry is many things, but I’ve never thought of him as some kind of amazing X’s and O’s guy.

Donewald has an extremely interesting history, having coached all around the world including the Chinese National Team, among many others. Honestly I thought his connections in Europe and Asia would have created some recruiting possibilities from those places, but it hasn’t happened, yet  Donewald’s Dad was an assistant on Bob Knight’s undefeated 1976 Indiana team, which is where the connection to Beard comes from. I do think Donewald can play more of the Mark Adams role on this staff than anyone else, and I’ve always thought that. Whether he does or not I don’t know. He hasn’t been in the thick of things during games so far, and he’s been there on the bench. Maybe this starts to change things. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On the Twitter channel they’ve featured two impressive athletic plays by Jabari Rice back to back. One is a ridiculous dunk attempt that we don’t see the finish where Disu is coming from the help side to swat, and the other is a quick move to the basket that fakes Dillon Mitchell out of his shoes. 

Today we get the retweet from John Fanta saying to keep an eye on him because he’s had a monster summer. 

I don’t put a huge amount of value on this stuff, because 1) I liked the Rice pickup from the get go and don’t have to be sold on it 2) I’d prefer to see how he looks with the rest of the lineup. The thing about him is he’s another of those “positionless” type players who could play 1-4 on either offense or defense, with point guard experience, athleticism, length, and a junkyard dog attitude on defense. 

The other thing that’s been obvious from the brief clips they’ve been showing is how much more comfortable Disu looks out there. They haven’t shown him attempting 3’s, but there’s been a couple of clips of impressive dunks, a nice mid range fadeaway over Mitchell, and several plays where he’s looking to swat some balls around the rim. @shadow_operative has been banging Disu’s drum for a while for good reason. I’m very hopeful he’s going to be a big difference maker this year, if not THE difference maker. 

Also, Arterio Morris, or I guess 'Terio' as they seem to like to call him, can be seen in multiple clips on the practice floor, although they haven’t been featuring him. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 8/10/2022 at 6:39 PM, ztejas said:

This team's going to fuck. Also love how Texas is flying under the radar. The runs Beard made at Tech weren't a fluke. 

Yeah. It’s a real underdog/ Cinderella story being picked anywhere from 12th to 16th in most preseason polls. Complete stealth mode…

On 8/13/2022 at 11:00 PM, shadow_operative said:

texting with a buddy just now and he asked me fir my thoughts on this year's squad, so i figured i'll post them here.

94989763-09B0-402B-A583-FB7284334B01.thumb.jpeg.ee21d4e163537129df93bb5f32946d39.jpeg

A211EB72-1AC1-41D8-998A-AE93C29F5E1A.thumb.jpeg.a7b3a3f185f6c179826ea130b3064b25.jpeg

would be interested to hear the thoughts of @SL Xpress and @longhornmatt on this subject. 

I hate that we only have two big men on the roster. Injuries, foul trouble, off court issues - anything, and Texas is in real trouble there. Brock will willingly play the 5 because he's Brock, but that's not a good place for him. I guess Mitchell and Anamekwe would play the 5 in a pinch. It's all pretty grim after Bishop and Disu. Outside of that, everything looks peachy. Outside shooting won't be a strength, but it doesn't scare me to death Mack Brown style the way depth inside does.

I'll also say it always starts with defense. I love Ramey. So happy he had last year. He really played fierce all season long. A crime he wasn't on the Big 12 all defense team. 

But this team will be a lot more disruptive on defense. Tyrese Hunter by himself will be a huge difference maker. There's length and athleticism all over the place. If Disu can be the kind of rim protector he was at Vanderbilt - not jaw dropping, but effective - then you really have something special. 

What I wonder is if they'll get more transition buckets. Texas isn't going to be running any kind of secondary break under Beard after made baskets, but I could see them push it a little more this year than they did last year. That's a very low bar to climb over. Last season they would often pull it out and run half court even after a turnover. I'd also like to see them run more offense early in the shot clock. Sometimes they didn't even try to do anything but dent the floor until about 15 seconds left on the shot clock. 

Overall I love your thoughts. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm not responding to that dumbassery. 

Your own post was inaccurate. Or maybe you might explain what the fuck else ‘under the radar’ means.

nobody sees Texas coming, except everybody…

Edited by slorch

15 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Fine, we will amend to say, “Texas is under the radar this year … except to people with huge inferiority complexes about Texas which make it impossible for them to ever feel like Texas isn’t unjustly getting more attention than their school.”

Y'all just can't fucking read, and then make shit up.  My post had jack shit to do with "my school" or "unjust publicity."

The point was that you can't just throw it out there that Texas is flying under the radar, when they are consistently in everyone's Top 16 or so in the preseason picks.  I didn't say the rankings were wrong or overhyped.

Carry on.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Y'all just can't fucking read, and then make shit up.  My post had jack shit to do with "my school" or "unjust publicity."

The point was that you can't just throw it out there that Texas is flying under the radar, when they are consistently in everyone's Top 16 or so in the preseason picks.  I didn't say the rankings were wrong or overhyped.

Carry on.

You don’t need to type anything for us to know the motivation behind your post.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Carry on.

We're the most under the radar top 15 preseason basketball team in the history of college basketball. Never before has a team entered the season so stealthily as a top 15 team. We're the Solid Snake of the NCAA. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Someone remind me the last time preseason rankings mattered in basketball and why I should care?

Because slorch is using it as Exhibit A for why Texas isn't coming in under anyone's radar?

These aren't even preseason rankings that anyone pays attention to once the season starts. People only pay attention to them until the OTHER preseason rankings come out...right before the season. 

I do think there's at least some correlation between rankings and seed at the highest levels, but I don't believe it's cause and effect. And it's certainly not a one to one correlation. 

It's not like this thread is bustling with activity, or the board is being inundated with talk about college basketball. I'm all for anything that gets people interested.

6 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Because slorch is using it as Exhibit A for why Texas isn't coming in under anyone's radar?

These aren't even preseason rankings that anyone pays attention to once the season starts. People only pay attention to them until the OTHER preseason rankings come out...right before the season. 

I do think there's at least some correlation between rankings and seed at the highest levels, but I don't believe it's cause and effect. And it's certainly not a one to one correlation. 

It's not like this thread is bustling with activity, or the board is being inundated with talk about college basketball. I'm all for anything that gets people interested.

Yeah that's kinda the point I was trying to make. It's goofy to care one way or another. The rankings always work themselves out toward the end of the season in CBB, for the most part.

I'm just ready to get started and we're still like 3 months away fml

AA51ACC0-3234-4519-830D-DE7D6EEDE5D1.thumb.jpeg.caaaf9a2abf9864032282c74872f33b3.jpeg

i have a hard time ranking dick ahead of mitchell, but whatevs. i watched dick play on espn a couple times last year and the kid was absolutely lights out. he's the exact type of player we could use this year- a guard with decent size who can really shoot. still, he's nowhere near the all around player that mitchell is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

AA51ACC0-3234-4519-830D-DE7D6EEDE5D1.thumb.jpeg.caaaf9a2abf9864032282c74872f33b3.jpeg

i have a hard time ranking dick ahead of mitchell, but whatevs. i watched dick play on espn a couple times last year and the kid was absolutely lights out. he's the exact type of player we could use this year- a guard with decent size who can really shoot. still, he's nowhere near the all around player that mitchell is. 

Keyonte in the global games was a black hole with an allergic reaction to playing defense. Baylor didn’t have a couple of its most important pieces, so it’s not a fair evaluation. Still, from what I saw there it would have been a messy fit at Texas. 

I love Dick. No doubt about that. 

The thing I like about Mitchell is his commitment on the defensive end, along with his ability to put the ball on the floor and drive by his defender. And his dunks are ridunkulous. 

The latest tweet from Texas basketball showed him making an outside shot. Don’t know how that part goes this year, but he’ll be a top 5 pick for sure if he can make those a third of the time. 

Edited by SL Xpress

On 8/17/2022 at 9:34 PM, shadow_operative said:

LOL what? Mitchell and Arterio were both ranked ahead of 2, 4 and 5 in the composite. GMAFB. 

Edited by ztejas

On 8/15/2022 at 9:37 AM, SL Xpress said:

What I wonder is if they'll get more transition buckets. Texas isn't going to be running any kind of secondary break under Beard after made baskets, but I could see them push it a little more this year than they did last year. That's a very low bar to climb over. Last season they would often pull it out and run half court even after a turnover. I'd also like to see them run more offense early in the shot clock. Sometimes they didn't even try to do anything but dent the floor until about 15 seconds left on the shot clock. 

Overall I love your thoughts. 

I think the wing athleticism being raised will help in transition. Ramey and Jones were just not great athletes on the wing and guard and didn't finish well at the rim and would be caught from behind on breaks. So, pulling up became 2nd nature for them. I just don't see Rice, Morris, Mitchell, and Haliburton pulling up to set up the half-court offense.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I think the wing athleticism being raised will help in transition. Ramey and Jones were just not great athletes on the wing and guard and didn't finish well at the rim and would be caught from behind on breaks. So, pulling up became 2nd nature for them. I just don't see Rice, Morris, Mitchell, and Haliburton pulling up to set up the half-court offense.

Haliburton? Is that Tyrese Hunter’s new nickname? Because he drills through defenses? He dishes dimes like an oil field giant services oil wells?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Haliburton? Is that Tyrese Hunter’s new nickname? Because he drills through defenses? He dishes dimes like an oil field giant services oil wells?

Holy shit, what a whiff. At least I got the former college and 1st letter of the last name correct. They also share the same 1st name, and as Beard mentioned, they would each need their own nickname.

• Hook 'Em 1