Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

53 minutes ago, HookEm said:

If you turn 2 McDonalds All Americans into role players does that make you a great coach?

lol wow. Will Baker and Mike Williams were high school All Americans, meanwhile PJ Tucker, Isaiah Taylor, and Grant Williams all got overlooked. what does that have to do with the price of apples in china? the way you keep bringing up HS accolades as if they are in any way relevant to this discussion should be beneath you. the truth is that you can't make the argument you want to make based on the actual 2004 roster so you keep going back to the HS accolades well, and have now reduced your argument to that ^^^ lazy crap. come on man. do better.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 1

Mouton was a badass ROLE player. 

I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of... disagree with you on that.

Mouton was returning fresh off making an ALL-REGION team in the 2003 NCAA Tourney.  Role players don't make all-region teams. Damn near every one of them ended up being high draft picks, many with big NBA Careers.  If you get a player of this caliber coming back for another year, you already have a huge building block.

Out of the 25 All-Region Players that year you had:

• Carmelo Anthony - #3 Draft Pick
  • Dwyane Wade - #5 Draft Pick
  • Kirk Hinrich - #7 Draft Pick
  • TJ Ford - #8 Draft Pick
  • Nick Collison - #12 Draft Pick
  • Emeka Okafor - #2 Draft Pick
  • Luke Walton - #32 Draft Pick
  • Hakim Warrick - #19 Draft Pick
  • Steve Novak - #32 Draft Pick
  • Paul Davis - #34 Draft Pick
  • Keith Langford - 2x All Big 12
  • Marquis Daniels - 2x All SEC, 10 Year NBA Vet
  • Jason Gardner - 3x All- Pac 12
  • Marquis Estill - All SEC

Quite a collection of role players at the college level. 

Mouton was one of my favorite players ever at UT.  He was the co-MVP in 2003 along with TJ Ford.  F the haters. I'll ride or die with my guy all day every day.  Dude could score the rock and he was a winner.

MCNEESESTTEXAS.jpg.597a6cfba0019f1d1e182f11823443ea.jpg

Now... back to talking about 2023

• Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of... disagree with you on that.

Mouton was returning fresh off making an ALL-REGION team in the 2003 NCAA Tourney.  Role players don't make all-region teams. Damn near every one of them ended up being high draft picks, many with big NBA Careers.  If you get a player of this caliber coming back for another year, you already have a huge building block.

Out of the 25 All-Region Players that year you had:

• Carmelo Anthony - #3 Draft Pick
  • Dwyane Wade - #5 Draft Pick
  • Kirk Hinrich - #7 Draft Pick
  • TJ Ford - #8 Draft Pick
  • Nick Collison - #12 Draft Pick
  • Emeka Okafor - #2 Draft Pick
  • Luke Walton - #32 Draft Pick
  • Hakim Warrick - #19 Draft Pick
  • Steve Novak - #32 Draft Pick
  • Paul Davis - #34 Draft Pick
  • Keith Langford - 2x All Big 12
  • Marquis Daniels - 2x All SEC, 10 Year NBA Vet
  • Jason Gardner - 3x All- Pac 12
  • Marquis Estill - All SEC

Quite a collection of role players at the college level. 

Mouton was one of my favorite players ever at UT.  He was the co-MVP in 2003 along with TJ Ford.  F the haters. I'll ride or die with my guy all day every day.  Dude could score the rock and he was a winner.

MCNEESESTTEXAS.jpg.597a6cfba0019f1d1e182f11823443ea.jpg

Now... back to talking about 2023

I loved Mouton, but I would have loved him more as an off guard with a real wing at the 3. But Barnes was having a tough time recruiting wings back then. 

One of the things I love about Beard is that he likes big back courts. It's fun having Hunter, Carr, Rice, and Morris. Both Allen and Mitchell are really nice wing types. Even going small ball we're not that small at anywhere other than the 5. 

i think it's funny that, instead of ever just saying, "yeah you guys are right, that 2004 team overachieved", you'd rather just change the argument time and time again until your stance has been whittled all the way down to, "well Brandon Mouton made the All Region team the year before!"

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

giphy.gif

Wtf... go discuss and argue about this past shit on the Rick Barnes thread !!!

ah who cares, this is all just time filler for the next 23 hours.

Peaking of past Texas hoops, I think we're on the verge of something special.

That's not a Final Four prediction for this season's squad; I'm talking about the program in general. The Beard Era promises to be a special one.

With that in mind, I'd love to see the return of a certain poster's personal, inside pre-game conversations with the coach, be it via phone or text. Plus, updates on cock rings, Popeye's chicken scrips, the whole gamut, really.

What say you, @Pancho--you down to share the totally-not-at-all-made-up gameday insiders?

• Hook 'Em 2

SIAP. 
Does anybody know what the deal is with single game tickets? They are claiming all sold out but they aren’t. They just opened up tickets to the Gregory Gym game - got 3 so hyped!!!!! - so if that is not sold out, no way A&M Commerce is sold out on Dec 27. Is this some deal with the devil with StubHub (the website says check SH) or some other bizarro plan? I assume they will open up to the public before these games, but why not just sell them now? Thanks!!!

• Rage+1 1

SIAP. 
Does anybody know what the deal is with single game tickets? They are claiming all sold out but they aren’t. They just opened up tickets to the Gregory Gym game - got 3 so hyped!!!!! - so if that is not sold out, no way A&M Commerce is sold out on Dec 27. Is this some deal with the devil with StubHub (the website says check SH) or some other bizarro plan? I assume they will open up to the public before these games, but why not just sell them now? Thanks!!!

It is my understanding there are no single game tickets for Moody games - all non-student seats are season ticket holders. The Gregory game is not part of the season ticket package - we just got first dibs on it before being offered to the public.

That being said, look at my post a few up - they are offering season tickets holders first dibs on student GA tix for holiday break games - I would assume they are offered to the public if not snatched up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, KingBobo81 said:

It is my understanding there are no single game tickets for Moody games - all non-student seats are season ticket holders. The Gregory game is not part of the season ticket package - we just got first dibs on it before being offered to the public.

That being said, look at my post a few up - they are offering season tickets holders first dibs on student GA tix for holiday break games - I would assume they are offered to the public if not snatched up.

So two ticket classes - season tickets and student? Odd, since if they are opening tickets to the general public (just got 3) for a Gregory game that only seats 3,500, there is availability. I wonder if the plan is to give first dibs to students and season ticket holders for individual games, then open up to the public when tickets are left? Kind of odd, but looks that way based on the Gregory game, maybe. Also, just looked on StubHub - are they not selling tickets in the upper deck? All of this is so strange.  

IMG_6199.jpeg

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dear God the students are bitching about Moody a lot. 

So much entitlement with some of these kids.  

Exactly - WTF? Every game I checked on StubHub has the upper deck showing no tickets - blocked off? Are we keeping. the upper deck closed for the entire season? Forever for basketball?

1 minute ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Exactly - WTF? Every game I checked on StubHub has the upper deck showing no tickets - blocked off? Are we keeping. the upper deck closed for the entire season? Forever for basketball?

There were never any plans to open up that upper deck for basketball. That is well documented, I do believe. 

• Hook 'Em 2

So two ticket classes - season tickets and student? Odd, since if they are opening tickets to the general public (just got 3) for a Gregory game that only seats 3,500, there is availability. I wonder if the plan is to give first dibs to students and season ticket holders for individual games, then open up to the public when tickets are left? Kind of odd, but looks that way based on the Gregory game, maybe. Also, just looked on StubHub - are they not selling tickets in the upper deck? All of this is so strange.  
IMG_6199.thumb.jpeg.07876bac3e156dee92da7e01f09e13dc.jpeg

The upper deck is closed for basketball games (it has been discussed and debated here more than about any other topic sans Rick Barnes), and again, there will not be single game sales outside of potentially the holiday break games.

1 minute ago, KingBobo81 said:

The upper deck is closed for basketball games (it has been discussed and debated here more than about any other topic sans Rick Barnes), and again, there will not be single game sales outside of potentially the holiday break games.

Thanks - apologies for rehashing.

2 minutes ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Thanks! And wow! Any links?

No links, but I remember from the pay sites as at one point no one knew. Then all the sites had it. There might be an article out there on the googles. 

But think about this—not opening that top part means this arena, Beard, and Vic are creating the atmosphere that is wanted and needed at Texas. They want it to be a hot ticket, and from the looks of it, it is! 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, KingBobo81 said:

And like Rick Barnes, this feels like a topic that is going to come up again and again. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Texas Longhorns basketball: Gonzaga-Texas preview

Gerry Hamilton•8 minutes

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

The Texas Longhorns opened year two of the Chris Beard era with wins over UTEP and Houston Christian. Tonight, No. 2 ranked Gonzaga Bulldogs will take the court in Austin coming off a 64-63 win over Michigan State November 11.

The contest tonight will be the first of a number of resume building non-conference game opportunities for Texas. The Longhorns have non-conference games against four AP Poll top 25 ranked teams – No. 2 Gonzaga, No. 10 Creighton, No. 19 Illinois and No. 22 Tennessee.

[Get FOUR MONTHS of Inside Texas Plus for $1!]

The Longhorns will take the court tonight with the opportunity to tie a school record for would tie a program record for the highest-ranked AP opponent defeated. In home games, Texas has topped the No. 2 team in The AP poll just once before (73-68 win over No. 2 Oklahoma on Feb. 21, 2009). 

Texas entered the tonights contest ranked No. 11 in the AP Poll after moving up one spot through the first week of the season.

Texas heavy on experience 

The Longhorns return five players that were key in the success of the 2021-22 team. Super seniors Timmy Allen and Marcus Carr started the the first two games along with senior Dylan Disu, while Christian Bishop and and Brock Cunningham play key roles off the bench. 

Beard and staff added transfers Tyrese Hunter and Sir’Jabari Rice to the group of returnees to form a nucleus of seven players with 679 games of college experience, including 479 starts and 19 NCAA Tournament games played.

Texas signed a four-man high school recruiting class in 2022 that ranked among the top seven classes in the country. Five-stars Dillon Mitchell and Arterio Morris have significantly upgraded the athleticism and transition ability of the Texas program. Mitchell has started the first two games of the season, while Morris provides offensive pop off the bench. 

How to watch the game

Gonzaga (2-0) and Texas (2-0) tipoff at 8:30 p.m. central on the ESPN2 with Dave Flemming (play by play) and Fran Fraschilla (color analyst) calling the action.

The Bulldogs lead the all-time series 4-0, including 86-74 last season in Spokane. 

Gonzaga is coming off a 64-63 win over Michigan State (neutral), after blasting North Florida 104-63 to open the season. 

The Longhorns have beat UTEP 72-57 and Houston Christian 82-31 to begin the season.

The Chris Beard File

Chris Beard enters Wednesday with a career record of 166-72. This is his eighth season at the Division I level. Beard has posted a 75-51 conference record in seven seasons. 

Beard is 5-0 all-time in NCAA Tournament Round of 64 games. He sports an 11-5 career record in five NCAA Tournament appearances. That includes a National Championship game appearance in 2018-19 while at Texas Tech. He led the Red Raiders to the Elite 8 the year before in 2017-18. 

Beard has competed against Gonzaga as a head coach twice. The Red Raiders beat No. 1 seed Gonzaga 75-69 in 2019 to advance to the Final Four. Gonzaga beat Texas 86–74 last season.

The Mark Few File

Mark Few enters is in his 24th season as the head coach of Gonzaga. He enters Wednesday with a career record of 660-129. He has won 25 or more games in 21 of his 23 season in Spokane, including seven seasons of 30 or more wins.

Few sports a 38-22 record in the NCAA Tournament, including 19-3 in NCAA Round of 64 games. Gonzaga has advanced to 11 Sweet 16’s, four Elite 8’s, and two National Champion games under Few.

There have been 18 players from Gonzaga drafted in the NBA since Few has been in charge of the program.

Gonzaga starters

PG Nolan Hickman, 6-2, sophomore (8.0 points, 2.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists)

SG Rasir Bolton, 6-3, senior (9.0 points, 1.5 rebounds, 1.5 assists)

SF Julian Strawther, 6-7, junior (14.5 points, 7.0 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1.5 steals)

PF Anton Watson, 6-8, freshman (6.5 points, 3.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 2.5 steals)

PF Drew Timme, 6-10, senior (22.0 points, 7.5 rebounds, 3.0 assists)

The Bulldogs have played an eight man rotation heavy minutes thus far with 7-foot center Efton Reid, 6-foot-5 guard Hunter Sallis and 6-foot-4 guard Malachi Smith off the bench. Smith plays starters minutes off the bench, and averages 10.0 points and 5.0 rebounds.

Texas starters

PG Tyrese Hunter, 6-1, sophomore (14 points, 6.0 rebounds, 2.0 assists)

CG Marcus Carr, 6-2, super senior (11.5 points, 2.5 assists, 3.0 steals)

F Timmy Allen, 6-6, super senior (9.5 points, 6.5 rebounds, 2.0 assists)

F Dillon Mitchell, 6-8, freshman (7.0 points, 8.0 rebounds)

PF Dylan Disu, 6-9, senior (9.0 points, 3.0 rebounds, 2.0 blocks)

The reserves 

SG Sir’Jabari Rice, 6-4, super senior (12.5 points, 4.0 rebounds, 2.0 assists)

PF Christian Bishop, 6-7, super senior (1.0 points, 3.0 rebounds and 1.5 blocks)

CG Arterio Morris, 6-3, freshman (6.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 2.0 assists)

F Brock Cunningham, 6-6, senior (2.0 points, 2.5 rebounds) 

PF Alex Anamekwe, 6-5.5, freshman (Logged 14 minutes through two games)

SG Gavin Perryman, 6-1, redshirt freshman (Logged 12 minutes through two games)

PG Rowan Brumbaugh, 6-4, freshman – *Planning to redshirt this season

• Hook 'Em 2

Gerry Hamilton

Administrator

Staff member

8 minutes ago

Add bookmark

Some early thoughts from Tuesday to get the discussion rolling.

Early thoughts on Gonzaga

Something important to know to start is this is not one of Gonzaga’s top three teams under Mark Few. They are not as talented as the last two teams for sure. That’s doesn’t mean they won’t beat Texas Wednesday night, to be clear. Just pointing out that if one looks at the No. 2 ranking they may think this is the same Gonzaga as the last two years. It’s not, and neither of those teams won the National Championship.

All of the talk among fans will be about Drew Timme down low, and 7-footer Efton Reid. Timme is going to get 23 and 10 unless he has an off night, or is in foul trouble. Reid will have his moments, with the under standing he is not a true shot blocker.

Texas defending Julian Strawther is the key Wednesday night. The future NBA wing can score in various ways. The Longhorns defending the Zags pindown action will be key. Gonzaga ripped opponents with the wide pindown action featuring Corey Kispert with their best teams, and Strawther can be very effective similarly in that action.

Gonzaga misses Andrew Nembhard a lot, so far this season. The Indiana Pacers point guard had a tremendous feel for creating ideal angles to get Timme the ball on the block. He also had a feel for creating that extra space in offensive sets and floor spacing. Hickman hasn’t been that level of player through two games and in the exhibition game against Tennessee. Gonzaga will use some soft or fake ball screen action at times to get Timme on the move with the idea of posting easier, and maybe catching a switch. The more Timme catches the ball in the post from 10-12 feet, the better for Texas.

Texas needs to make Timme move his feet on defense every possession the first ten minutes he’s on the floor. Make him defend in ball screen action, and recover to the paint. Michigan State attacked him in the ball screen game with effectiveness.

The Longhorn guards are quicker than Gonzaga’s. That’s Tyrese Hunter and Arterio Morris. Hunter will be in attack mode Wednesday night. Morris will also have attack opportunities with his explosive quickness, but he must handle the ball under control. For the Longhorns to win the battle at guard, the quartet has to knock down some perimeter shots early to create the close outs desired by the Zags to take advantage off the bounce. Timme and Reid aren’t true shot blockers, but more big bodies in the paint. Texas guards have score in the 8-10 foot range effectively, and not get too deep. Drawing fouls on bigs will come more in the ball screen game and scramble defense scenarios vs. going straight at them at the rim.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Thanks! And wow! Any links?

Announced before construction even began.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/2022/04/19/moody-center-built-300-million-no-cost-taxpayers-boosters/7358394001/

The basketball configuration will be about 10,000 seats with the upper decks closed off for every game, creating an “intimate” atmosphere, the source said.

“Not even for Kansas,” a second source told the Statesman.

Typically, Texas draws about 8,000 fans for men’s games and fewer for women’s games. Only a handful of games, such as those involving the Kansas men or Baylor women, come close to reaching sellout status. Even then, it’s iffy. 

Edited by TxEx84
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TxEx84 said:

Announced before construction even began.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/2022/04/19/moody-center-built-300-million-no-cost-taxpayers-boosters/7358394001/

The basketball configuration will be about 10,000 seats with the upper decks closed off for every game, creating an “intimate” atmosphere, the source said.

“Not even for Kansas,” a second source told the Statesman.

Typically, Texas draws about 8,000 fans for men’s games and fewer for women’s games. Only a handful of games, such as those involving the Kansas men or Baylor women, come close to reaching sellout status. Even then, it’s iffy. 

Thanks! Whoever is the second source up there - love the attitude/arrogance - even if we can sell 15,000 tickets, we won't even consider it. Yay? Makes literally no sense! We sure Patterson isn't head of basketball operations?

• Hook 'Em 1

Exactly. They're trying to win basketball games. Not let a bunch of students in who just want to go as a social event and aren't serious fans. The students that aren't willing to wait in line for a few hours aren't the ones that we need in the building. Go see how they do it at Kansas and Duke  then look at the results that those schools have had over the past 40 seasons. 

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, KingBobo81 said:

Everything they are doing (whether it is closing the second level or decoupling football/basketball donations) is deliberate in creating the best possible atmosphere in the building - I commend them for passing over $ in favor of building something exciting and electric. It is literally the exact opposite of what Steve Patterson would have done.

Agreed.  It's not like we need the money.

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Beard and staff added transfers Tyrese Hunter and Sir’Jabari Rice to the group of returnees to form a nucleus of seven players with 679 games of college experience, including 479 starts and 19 NCAA Tournament games played.

Yikes.  That's 7 players with an AVERAGE of 2 full seasons as starters.  If this isn't our year, I don't know when it will be.

Everything they are doing (whether it is closing the second level or decoupling football/basketball donations) is deliberate in creating the best possible atmosphere in the building - I commend them for passing over $ in favor of building something exciting and electric. It is literally the exact opposite of what Steve Patterson would have done.

Agree but they aren’t exactly passing over money compared to before. The ticket plus seat license price is significantly higher than FEC which also is meant to get only people who really want to be there in the building.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, PantsTent said:

Agree but they aren’t exactly passing over money compared to before. The ticket plus seat license price is significantly higher than FEC which also is meant to get only people who really want to be there in the building.

Oh for sure - and I will gladly pay that higher price.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, chitwood said:

Anyone here on campus with any idea how long the line is for students at the moment?  My son can’t get down there until late afternoon, and I am guessing he is screwed. 

There are some students that lined up at 5 am apparently. 

I'm too wiped out to watch the rest of this Gonzaga game.

A team like Gonzaga doesn't really have a prayer against a well coached, athletic team that's shooting this well. Reminds me of when they got wiped out by Baylor in the NC game. Teams should be able to do what y'all are doing to Timme, as you're athletic enough to pressure/double team him effectively while not letting them punish you with his passing. They're settling for jump shots basically every possession, and that's exactly how you gameplan against them. Not a winning formula when you're turning the ball over as well. I suspect they are already missing Nembhard pretty badly, and Chet to a lesser degree.

Enough about them, though.

Athletically y'all look a lot like we did last year, better even, at some positions. Long, quick, well conditioned, and most important of all: experienced for the most part. Obviously ya'll won't shoot this well every game, but that was one question coming into this season that you should feel better about.

Looks like last year's experience in the system really did the returning guys a lot of favors going into this season. Said it in the game thread, but I'll be VERY happy if we split the series with y'all this season. The potential for your team is really high, in my opinion. Gonna be a fun season to watch.

e: Actually looked at the stats briefly before I go to bed, y'alls 3 point shooting percentage isn't as high as I thought it was, ya'll have just gotten a lot of good look and capitalized. Very good sign for y'all, imo

Edited by Brian Fantana
  • Hook 'Em 5