Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Just go with it.  McConaughey and Charlie Sexton and some of Austin's best players and singers?  

It's all good.

He can be playing a kazoo that looked like a 2 foot pink dildo, and if we keep playing like that, I'll buy one too. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I pretty much saw the roster for this season and did some minimal research on the new guys and knew immediately that this team was going to fuck. I didn't need to read any 995er bullshit, I didn't need to break down the schedule or analyze our strengths and weaknesses, all I did was put 2 and 2 together that we improved both the talent and depth and also retained an elite head coach and surmised that, yeah, we're probably going to be really good. 

So color me surprised that we fuck. 

I think a lot of folks here were or are ignorant of how good of a coach Chris Beard is and how insane the resource advantage that Texas possesses is. 

We're talking about a coach that took Texas fucking Tech to the national championship game. 

Tech.

Coaching at a school that put Kevin Durant into the NBA. 

That isn't to say that I didn't thoroughly enjoy tonight's beat down, or that I didn't reserve some doubts. 

But you let someone like Beard take over a program like this and this is what happens. 

I just hope we have some good fortune in the tournament and hang a couple championship banners before we do something like go to six final fours without a title. 

Knowing Texas I'm sure we'll pull off the latter. 

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, it's premature, but it feels like Beard was a generational hire.  Terrific tactician, super intense, builds his team in his image, can recruit lights out.  

It would be nice if we could do that in football.

Beard deserves to get paid lot more than he is for what he has done for Texas basketball in such a short period of time, certainly lot more than seven-loss-steve.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/11/2022 at 11:54 AM, shadow_operative said:

i think we beat gonzaga, and i think that's where the hype train takes off. i think that's where, for the first time under beard, and truthfully the first time in a very long time, we once again return to being a team with a target on its back. i think we beat the zags, and assuming they win today i think it gets us up to no.6 or 7 in the country, and the hype and expectations go through the roof. it's been a very long time since we had those type of expectations, and i am so pumped at the prospect of getting back to being that type of program again. i cannot wait for wednesday to ge here.

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148863ogb697c1rxozveksu

• Hook 'Em 9

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148863ogb697c1rxozveksu

Room for two baby doll? 

On 11/14/2022 at 10:16 AM, KingBobo81 said:

So, rather than arguing about a coach who left seven years ago...anybody want to talk about Gonzaga? I didn't get a chance to watch the MSU game - what are we looking at this year? I know they lost Holmgren and a few other guys. I'm hoping for a vastly different outcome in a couple days.

On 11/14/2022 at 10:26 AM, ztejas said:

I expect us to win. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

worth a watch: 

i'm like five minutes in and it's all been good stuff so far, and tyrese hunter just sat down for an interview. i like goodman more than most of the twitter CBB guys, and i think he kinda likes Texas and roots for us a little bit too. anyway, if you're like me and you still haven't gotten your full fix, check it out. 

• Hook 'Em 3

That was exactly what I needed.  Tcu kick in the nuts, horribly shitty week at work that ended late, pop on my horns and watch them drill a top 5 time with the Moody center sounding as loud as Allen field house.  Thank you Chris Beard for coming back and being who we thought you were.  This team is gonna fuck some people up!  I'm looking forward to the rest of the season and picking Texas to win it all in my bracket, not as a homer who wants a handicap in the office pool but as someone who knows something others don't.  

• Hook 'Em 2

More Wow plays in that game last night than we had in the entire season last year, and not an exaggeration. That's not necessarily an indictment on last year's team. More so just the importance of an injection of elite athleticism in this team that was sorely missing in '21.

https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/35043775

• Hook 'Em 4

20 hours ago, Red Five said:

We will, of course, eventually open it up. It would be cool if it was something we did so infrequently that it’s a big deal when it happens. Once a year or something.

I actually don’t know that I agree that they’ll eventual open it up, even once or twice. That would defeat the purpose since the sound won’t bounce off of those panels.

I think this is exactly the environment Vic and Beard want and that Texas officials want and finally got right. I don’t see them wanting to fuck that environment up, especially after the amount of accolades we’ve gotten from media talmbout Texas “finally has an intimidating place to play.”

Opening that top level makes Moody a de facto FEC. I don’t think anyone wants to go back to that type of environment.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

More Wow plays in that game last night than we had in the entire season last year, and not an exaggeration. That's not necessarily an indictment on last year's team. More so just the importance of an injection of elite athleticism in this team that was sorely missing in '21.

https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/35043775

Our athleticism definitely took a huge jump up.  Even returning guys look leaner and getting a healthy disu back changes the makeup of these team even more.  I know we'll cool down on the 3s but the combo of defensive length and intensity coupled with multiple people who can thrive in iso and lead to open jump shooters portends well for a good tourny run.  

14 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Here's the Texas excerpt from The Athletic's Power Rankings this AM.

1. Texas (3-0)

Texas at No. 1? Yep. And why not? Have you seen any team play as well against quality opposition this season as Texas did versus Gonzaga Wednesday night? The Longhorns were incredible: connected, physical, tough, totally locked in.

In other words, they were a lot of the things Chris Beard’s first Texas team was not a year ago. Texas was never bad last season. Quite the opposite: The Longhorns finished 22-12, 15th in adjusted efficiency, got a N0. 6 seed, won a tournament game. All in all, not a bad year for a first-year head coach who rebuilt huge swathes of his starting lineup with guys from the transfer portal who had never played a minute together.

It was a fine start. But it was also characterized by a certainty that something was always a little off. Texas lost twice to his former team, Texas Tech, a more developed project with a more cohesive style. After Jan. 4, the Longhorns won more than two games in a row just once. The offense was effective enough but not particularly pretty; it was often discordant and ragged. Texas never found a groove. Things were always just a little awkward.

It was striking how much this wasn’t the case Wednesday night. Maybe it helped that the Longhorns were opening their fancy, more intimately arranged new arena, all the better to build communion with their fans. But the basketball did that more than anything else, and man was the basketball great. Throwing sophomore Iowa State transfer Tyrese Hunter into the backcourt is a revelation; suddenly, Marcus Carr’s offensive life looks so much easier. Timmy Allen is still a uniquely capable hybrid player, but the roles around him (five-star prospect Dillon Mitchell, revitalized vet Dylan Disu, Christian Bishop coming off the bench) make more sense. Defensively, Texas is swarming, terrifying, a nightmare for a Gonzaga team without currently confident guards.

Most of all, though, this suddenly feels like a team where everyone is more at ease. That goes for Beard, who is settled in the job (and the new Moody Center) now, and likewise for his players, who have had more time together to congeal, to build a stylistic and cultural foundation. Texas has added elite pieces around them this offseason, including what — judging by Wednesday’s 26-point, 5-of-8 from 3 output anyway — might be one of the best guards in the country in Hunter. The Longhorns looked more complete offensively, and looked like the best defensive team in the country.

Texas, at least for one night, looked like the best team in the country — full stop.

Kinda goes with that Fran said last night - last year's team struggled to play cohesive and lacked chemistry.  Not so this year. 

We also got rid of at least one malcontent (Tre Mitchell), so I'm sure that helps. 

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

If the top level wasn't opened up last night, in one of the 3 marquee home games this season, then when will it be opened up?

I'm not advocating for it, at all. Why mess with a good thing. Just curious what the thought process may be in deciding. 

Never.

Also, 3? More like 6.

Gonzaga, Creighton, Tech, Kansas, Baylor, TCU.  That's 4 top 10 teams, another top 15 team and another top 25 team (that we have a lot of animosity with). 

Edited by Js1

A small anecdote on the culture Beard is building. My daughter is a freshman and has been to many games in FEC, but never really wanted to go to football games with me. Of course once she got on campus she's been waiting the 2-3 hrs to go to football games with friends.  My wife decided not to go last night so took my daughter.  After seeing the atmosphere of the student section, she said something like "i'm not sure which games and don't know how yet, but I want to be down there" and was snapping (is that the right term?) her friends pictures to get them on board.

• Hook 'Em 3

53 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Get on the fucking bus, because Moody Center has two elite teams and our Gregory Gym homegirls are going for another title next month.

What football team? 

This is where I’m at lol

Also, Morris and Allen had 2 points each. And we won by 19…Lets Fucking Go!

Edited by taybo20
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 11/16/2022 at 10:13 AM, TxEx84 said:

Announced before construction even began.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/2022/04/19/moody-center-built-300-million-no-cost-taxpayers-boosters/7358394001/

The basketball configuration will be about 10,000 seats with the upper decks closed off for every game, creating an “intimate” atmosphere, the source said.

“Not even for Kansas,” a second source told the Statesman.

Typically, Texas draws about 8,000 fans for men’s games and fewer for women’s games. Only a handful of games, such as those involving the Kansas men or Baylor women, come close to reaching sellout status. Even then, it’s iffy. 

Honest question, not trying to start an argument;  what about if Moody hosts NCAA tournament games?  Wouldn't it make sense to open it then, especially if Texas is playing elsewhere?

7 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

Honest question, not trying to start an argument;  what about if Moody hosts NCAA tournament games?  Wouldn't it make sense to open it then, especially if Texas is playing elsewhere?

I would assume they would open it for events like that, yes. 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Think it would make that much of a difference? 

I do think those panels make a huge difference, you can almost feel the echo. Not sure if panels or another 5k (non student) fans would be louder.

12 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

I think the only way for them to get enough seats to interest the NCAA is if they open that top level.

On 11/13/2022 at 12:18 AM, Pancho said:

So used to Texas losing in football that I’m only mad for like an hour or so.

I’m stoked this year about our team. Beard, if you’re reading this, I can be the team leadership captain!

I did not even get mad.  I turned the game off.  Daughter and I took the dog for a walk and then she and I kicked the soccer ball.

I care more about basketball right now.  Never thought that would be the case.  I see nothing in football to get excited about until we hire a decent head coach.

• Hook 'Em 1