Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Since it was a scrimmage they probably limited it to brass knuckles and nunchucks- leave your bladed weapons at home. Those are for tourney games if they meet up. 

The basketball alone would be sufficient but bladed weapons at NRG in early April will be a nice added touch 

edit:

Both UTs, UH and KU would be entertaining. Maybe not nationally, but certainly as a fan of early 2000s Big 12 Basketball

Edited by UTexasFight

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

the stats under "personnel" are my favorites in respect to this particular matchup. we're the deeper, more experienced team, by a lot. 

Have some family that went to Creighton, so I tend to follow them pretty closely.

Our depth is definitely the advantage in this game and where I think we can overwhelm them. Their starting 5 looks to be fairly elite, but the bench is a real weakness. When Alexander and/or Nembhard are out, Farabello (TCU transfer) and Mitchell don’t put much fear into anyone. Mike Miller’s kid can get hot from three I guess, but our guards should be able to body him up on D and certainly attack him on offense. The big man King is very raw and he’s the only thing close to an inside presence they have on the bench.

Creighton fans are just Nebraska football fans wearing blue, and maybe more annoying. I’d imagine the boosters that McDermott hangs with have been in his ear about beating Texas since the game was announced. I expect them to ride their starting lineup as much as they can, and more than they could in Maui. If we can contain Kaluma and somewhat keep Kalkbrenner away from the basket, they will live and die by the three and should need an incredible night from deep to keep it close.

Been waiting to match up with Creighton for a long time, but never expected it to be this big of a game. Hoping for another Gonzaga-type demolition and securing bragging rights in the family.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Also, Big 12/SEC challenge ending after this year. 

SEC/ACC challenge will start next year with both women and men

Yeah B1G/ACC will end too. Maybe the Big 12 and B1G can start something. 

Sounds like a Tv thing with ESPN being both SEC and ACC soon. Fox can grab B1G and Big 12 challenge 

Edited by Js1

16 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

Have some family that went to Creighton, so I tend to follow them pretty closely.

Our depth is definitely the advantage in this game and where I think we can overwhelm them. Their starting 5 looks to be fairly elite, but the bench is a real weakness. When Alexander and/or Nembhard are out, Farabello (TCU transfer) and Mitchell don’t put much fear into anyone. Mike Miller’s kid can get hot from three I guess, but our guards should be able to body him up on D and certainly attack him on offense. The big man King is very raw and he’s the only thing close to an inside presence they have on the bench.

Creighton fans are just Nebraska football fans wearing blue, and maybe more annoying. I’d imagine the boosters that McDermott hangs with have been in his ear about beating Texas since the game was announced. I expect them to ride their starting lineup as much as they can, and more than they could in Maui. If we can contain Kaluma and somewhat keep Kalkbrenner away from the basket, they will live and die by the three and should need an incredible night from deep to keep it close.

Been waiting to match up with Creighton for a long time, but never expected it to be this big of a game. Hoping for another Gonzaga-type demolition and securing bragging rights in the family.

Sounds like our goal will be to attack their starters to try to get them into foul trouble early. Make them utilize their bench more. 

At this point, just keep showing progression. We've seen UT basketball peak early and then collapse and that's no fun.

This style of basketball - high tempo, push the ball, guard heavy - feels like something that can't be as easily countered like previous Texas teams that did great in pre-conf play so I have hope we can keep the momentum going. We're going to run into a cold shooting night and lose a head scratcher but rather than that being the start of a trend like in years past, with this team it feels like it would just be a blip.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

At this point, just keep showing progression. We've seen UT basketball peak early and then collapse and that's no fun.

This style of basketball - high tempo, push the ball, guard heavy - feels like something that can't be as easily countered like previous Texas teams that did great in pre-conf play so I have hope we can keep the momentum going. We're going to run into a cold shooting night and lose a head scratcher but rather than that being the start of a trend like in years past, with this team it feels like it would just be a blip.

I agree with the sentiment. At the same time, instead of focusing on "high tempo, push the ball, guard heavy" I would emphasize defense extended beyond the 3 point line, switching on all 5 positions, rabid on the ball pressure as this team's keys to consistency.

Once we get into Big 12 play every game is going to be a defensive slog for the most part. All 10 teams are currently ranked in the top 50 of kenpom, including KState. Most of them are going to consider their key to victory on any given night to slow the game down and make it ugly. It's their identity. Our ability to out execute Big 12 foes in the half court, regardless of what form that takes, will be helpful. Given that turnover margin is probably the biggest emphasis we have, taking care of the ball will be extremely important to maximize shot advantage, while turning over the opponent on the other end. 

Then you have Tennessee in Knoxville that will challenge our manhood on the boards. 

But I'm excited to see how we do against teams like KU and Baylor, that will want to get out and run, too. It's going to be an exciting season. But I feel like they're all going to be exciting seasons for a good long time in different ways. I think that's what I'm most excited about. How exciting it all is!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

Sounds like our goal will be to attack their starters to try to get them into foul trouble early. Make them utilize their bench more. 

It’s early in the season obviously, but another thing I forgot to mention is that Creighton is ranked third in the country in least fouls per game (for reference, we are 185th). They have been good about staying out of trouble so far, even against an aggressive team like Arizona. Would love to see it though. I think we are going to feast offensively around the basket. Kalkbrenner gets a couple blocks a game just off height alone, but he is pretty soft. I’m really hoping for a Dillon Mitchell posterization of him that brings the house down.

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s really going to take a few season for our privileged fans to get this. This is exactly what Vic and Beard (and the athletic department) DON’T want— casual fans who just want to be there because everyone else is going or who just show up for top 10 games only. They are trying to change the culture around both basketball at Texas and just at Texas in general. I hope they don’t budge but if they do it will be because of fan pressure and not money.

Christ, the replies…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

On 11/29/2022 at 7:23 AM, Pancho said:

It’s really going to take a few season for our privileged fans to get this. This is exactly what Vic and Beard (and the athletic department) DON’T want— casual fans who just want to be there because everyone else is going or who just show up for top 10 games only. They are trying to change the culture around both basketball at Texas and just at Texas in general. I hope they don’t budge but if they do it will be because of fan pressure and not money.

Yeah, we've done the partially filled, huge soulless facility for 45 years.  How about the fans just get on board with a new idea every once in awhile?

these people who are just now finding out about the seating arrangements and are blowing up CDC on twitter clearly don't follow basketball to begin with. i wish CDC could say, "Sir, we've set up our seating this way specifically to keep out people like you and your johnny-come-lately kids." typical Austin. people don't care about something until it's trendy, but they feel entitled to it anyway. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 7

Parking question. Headed to the game tomorrow and none of us have been to a home game since Shaka’s 2nd season and of course that was at Erwin. Not to mention that whole area has changed so much I barely recognize it. Anyone have a secret or not secret spot for Moody events? I guess the Trinity/San Jac garages and if the line leaving is long just grab some beer at Scholz? Are they even open anymore postgame?

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

these people who are just now finding out about the seating arrangements and are blowing up CDC on twitter clearly don't follow basketball to begin with. i wish CDC could say, "Sir, we've set up our seating this way specifically to keep out people like you and your johnny-come-lately kids." typical Austin. people don't care about something until it's trendy, but they feel entitled to it anyway. 

Most will get over it. They will learn to buy their tickets in advance instead of rolling up minutes after tipoff in hopes of finding a scalper desperate to cut his losses**.

The days of, "Come late. Sit Down. And be quiet," are over.

** I might have done this dozens of times back in the day. Don't judge me.

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Parking question. Headed to the game tomorrow and none of us have been to a home game since Shaka’s 2nd season and of course that was at Erwin. Not to mention that whole area has changed so much I barely recognize it. Anyone have a secret or not secret spot for Moody events? I guess the Trinity/San Jac garages and if the line leaving is long just grab some beer at Scholz? Are they even open anymore postgame?

I just park across 35 and walk over. There's been a lot of spots along the street over there for both events I've been too. Free and pretty painless. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Like directly across has been open?  We are going to have one person with us that is not real mobile.

You're correct that the Trinity and San Jac garages are the pay lots from the state and the East Campus Garage across I35 is from UT.  You can also get lucky on those side streets around Trinity and San Jac for free but I'm 1 for 4 so far.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Park at one of the garages on San Jac by Scholz’s, swing around and park by the exit. I’ve probably been to a dozen events at Moody and has never taken more than a few minutes to get out of the garage and on my way. Much better than being on the north side of MLK and stuck in a cluster in a closer garage

56 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

He means crossing over the freeway dodging oncoming cars. Like Frogger. What's life without a little risk? Put some excitement in their life. 

I parked over by the disch for HCU. Plenty of spots, but it wasnt packed.even for that game, APD was there managing pedestrian traffic crossing 35.