Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

9 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

On Tuesday we get to play against this former Baylor knob who's now at Illinois as a fifth year senior. They actually have 2 former Baylor players plus a former TTech player on their roster.

image.png.bd8703b3a6ee34502aea249e0e989ec7.png

Sounds like they've elected the way of pain. 

Morris's defensive effort and efficacy have been a revelation. 

Agreed. I really like his game and think he is going to be an awesome player as the game slows down for him. He is super athletic and continues to remind me of Avery Bradley with his movement, defense and shot form.  I'm assuming he will stay around next year.  If so, I can see him being an All-Conference type player with a year of maturation and a big bump in minutes.

32 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Agreed. I really like his game and think he is going to be an awesome player as the game slows down for him. He is super athletic and continues to remind me of Avery Bradley with his movement, defense and shot form.  I'm assuming he will stay around next year.  If so, I can see him being an All-Conference type player with a year of maturation and a big bump in minutes.

He ain't going anywhere with that 3 ball. Needs to work on his shot in the off-season.

I mean I guess he could go fuck around in the G League or overseas but he's not getting on the court for an NBA team any time soon. 

So Uber worked great for the Creighton game. Dropped off an hour before tip-off maybe 100 yards away - northeast corner of Moody on Red River. Picked up at the same place right after the game ended, less than 10 minutes after requesting a ride. Getting out going north was easy. After the u-turn We were back downtown to our place in 10 minutes for 16 bucks.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, justhookit said:

So Uber worked great for the Creighton game. Dropped off an hour before tip-off maybe 100 yards away - northeast corner of Moody on Red River. Picked up at the same place right after the game ended, less than 10 minutes after requesting a ride. Getting out going north was easy. After the u-turn We were back downtown to our place in 10 minutes for 16 bucks.

Thanks.  We have all been wondering how that would work at the new digs.

I love this team. I love what beard has done, this seems like a unit with so much more just general action on offense. Of course we need our deep shooting to improve, that’s hard to watch but usually aren’t far off. Here’s one thing I’ve been wondering, does beard not believe in expanding the defense or pressing or press trapping? Ive maybe seen one guy solo guard their 1 up the court but I don’t recall seeing many full court pressures. I know that’s bringing up bad memories for us but maybe we don’t need it: just always nice to be able to do! Hook em 

I liked that we had a subpar game where we shot 20% from three and only took eight free throws and still beat a top 10 team. 

The "omg what if Creighton shot better??" storyline got old pretty quick. Both teams made four three-pointers. Creighton shot six more free throws on the road. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I liked that we had a subpar game where we shot 20% from three and only took eight free throws and still beat a top 10 team. 

The "omg what if Creighton shot better??" storyline got old pretty quick. Both teams made four three-pointers. Creighton shot six more free throws on the road. 

Eight free throws with five coming at the end, a la "hack a 'Horn."

Only three free throws the previous 39 or so minutes. 😕

Eight free throws with five coming at the end, a la "hack a 'Horn."
Only three free throws the previous 39 or so minutes.

Also, how about this storyline. What if Texas had made a few more threes, while still being under their average, and had fucking run Creighton out of the gym?
  • Hook 'Em 1

lotta people here still talking shit about this guy and that needs to cease and desist. he's one of our best and most important players, and he's done a great job assimilating to his surroundings this year. we are going to need him to reach our goals this year. yes, he is a volume shooter- you're going to have to take the good with the bad. we don't have any players with zero flaws, yet our fans zero in on marcus carr like he's russ or something. he's not. he's a smart, talented, veteran guard who is very important to our success, and too many people here still seem to think that he's a liability. he's not. Team Marcus Carr.

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

lotta people here still talking shit about this guy and that needs to cease and desist. he's one of our best and most important players, and he's done a great job assimilating to his surroundings this year. we are going to need him to reach our goals this year. yes, he is a volume shooter- you're going to have to take the good with the bad. we don't have any players with zero flaws, yet our fans zero in on marcus carr like he's russ or something. he's not. he's a smart, talented, veteran guard who is very important to our success, and too many people here still seem to think that he's a liability. he's not. Team Marcus Carr.

I think he gets heat because he's a good player, and his issues seem fixable.

"What if Timmy Allen but more athletic" isn't going to happen. "What if Marcus Carr but with better shot selection" probably could.

Carr is averaging twice as many assists per game as Hunter. Hunter is 4th on the team behind Carr, Rice, and Allen in assists. Hunter, Carr, and Rice are all combo guards. As is Arterio Morris. Carr and Hunter are shooting over 37% from 3, Rice is respectable at 33%, wish it was closer to 35%, but Morris has been a disaster. Those 4 are the volume shooters on the team so those 4 together need to at 35%+ to maximize this season.

1 hour ago, Sheep Have Wool said:

I think he gets heat because he's a good player, and his issues seem fixable.

"What if Timmy Allen but more athletic" isn't going to happen. "What if Marcus Carr but with better shot selection" probably could.

ive had almost no problems with his shot selection this year. the shots he was missing early on vs Creighton were shots he'd been hitting all season, and yet several people in the game thread were going with the "no more shots for carr" and "take him out of the game" type posts. i thought his worst shot of the night was his early 2H three after creighton had cut the lead, and he nailed that one. i think a number of our fans here need to take a second look at how much he's improved, and the shots that he's taking. 

speaking of which, holy shit is our shot selection night and day from what we had under our previous coach. even the true freshmen are taking smart shots, passing up on longer shots for better looks, and making it a point to not settle for a jumper after they've missed a couple in a row. it is insane to think back to what shaka had us doing with our shot selection (will baker taking 8.0 3PA per 40, Osetkowski taking 3 per game, having Greg Brown shoot 6.8 3PA per 40, and just allowing anyone on his roster to shoot any pull up three with 27 seconds left on the shot clock, etc). it is totally night and day. i can't express how much i have been enjoying this team's collective shot selection after six years of the and 1 mixtape tour style shooting.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Carr is averaging twice as many assists per game as Hunter. Hunter is 4th on the team behind Carr, Rice, and Allen in assists. Hunter, Carr, and Rice are all combo guards. As is Arterio Morris. Carr and Hunter are shooting over 37% from 3, Rice is respectable at 33%, wish it was closer to 35%, but Morris has been a disaster. Those 4 are the volume shooters on the team so those 4 together need to at 35%+ to maximize this season.

rice went 2-6 from deep vs UTRGV and three of them went in and out. i think he probably is/will be a 35% shooter from deep, as he too has displayed great shot selection.