Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

Well, add another early season ranking system to the collection of "huh?"  

NET has Sam Houston State ranked above us, giving them the #9 NET Strength of Schedule.  We're at #274 on that metric.  Here is Sam's schedule to date:

OU W

Southwestern Adventist W

LeTourneau W

Utah W

Northern Illinois W

South Dakota W

Nevada L

Dallas Christian W

No, it doesn't matter, and we've played some patsies, too, but 9 vs 274?  I'd like to see what goes into that calculation.  Anway, onward to Illinois.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, add another early season ranking system to the collection of "huh?"  

NET has Sam Houston State ranked above us, giving them the #9 NET Strength of Schedule.  We're at #274 on that metric.  Here is Sam's schedule to date:

OU W

Southwestern Adventist W

LeTourneau W

Utah W

Northern Illinois W

South Dakota W

Nevada L

Dallas Christian W

No, it doesn't matter, and we've played some patsies, too, but 9 vs 274?  I'd like to see what goes into that calculation.  Anway, onward to Illinois.

Gonzaga and Creighton are pulling our strength of schedule down.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, wutang75 said:

Can someone enlighten me on Houston being #1? I know they have a ton of talent but based on schedule I don’t see it. Irrelevant and will work itself out, but still curious.

Reputation, mostly, based on recent results. They've been to the SS, the EE, and the FF in the last 3 NCAA tourneys. They're riding the same kind of hype wave UNC was, and if they falter they'll fall just like they did.

UNC was crap last year and had a great tourney run. U of H has been a really good program under Sampson, one of the best coaches in college basketball, and deserves to be rated highly. and don't count on them falling any time soon. with their schedule, five losses a three seed would be a disappointing season.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Reputation, mostly, based on recent results. They've been to the SS, the EE, and the FF in the last 3 NCAA tourneys. They're riding the same kind of hype wave UNC was, and if they falter they'll fall just like they did.

They were ranked high to start the season. The teams ahead of them lost. They've absolutely destroyed inferior competition in ways not every team out there has. They beat Oregon early in Eugene before the Ducks had a chance to lose to Connecticut, Michigan State, and UCLA as well. They had two grind it out ugly wins against Kent State and St. Mary's. 

They still face Alabama at home and Virginia in Charlottesville. They have a #1 seed about as locked up as you can get at this early stage of the season. They play a ridiculously physical style of defense with talented guards and an inside presence that somewhat resembles Texas with Walker, Chaney, and Roberts. 

I don't have an issue with UH ranked #1. I'd probably pick someone different if I had a vote. But it's not like Texas has a resume that screams #1. The two biggest wins came at home against opponents who have some good wins but also haven't exactly looked like elite teams in all of their other games. Creighton's loss to Nebraska at home is a bit silly. 

I'm excited about this Texas team and where they're going. I'm not sold on them as a top 5 team just yet. I want to see how the season progresses, especially once we get into Big 12 play. But I don't need them to be. Anything in the top 15 I'm good with, and they're certainly in that range. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Reputation, mostly, based on recent results. They've been to the SS, the EE, and the FF in the last 3 NCAA tourneys. 

None of that factors into KenPom, which seems to be one of the most rational ranking systems out there.  They're just good.

1 hour ago, wutang75 said:

Can someone enlighten me on Houston being #1? I know they have a ton of talent but based on schedule I don’t see it. Irrelevant and will work itself out, but still curious.

Two years ago, they made the Final Four.

Last year, they made the Final Eight even though they were without their best player for the last half of the season.

This year, Sasser is back.

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

Still #2 in Coaches poll.

Lost a first place vote but went up in points. 

The entire poll lost a first place vote if you add them up compared to last week.  Either that or someone gave someone outside the top 25 a first place vote.  

Edit:  Actually it looks like there might be a voter only voting every other week?  It alternates between 31 and 32 first place votes every other week so far.  

Edited by chemHORN

3 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Halfcourt shot away from another SS appearance, lost to a team that went to the Finals.  Late bucket by Herro prevented another EE appearance and they probably beat Auburn in that game and onto the FF. 

just looking at the stats, i think that TO's could be a bug factor as to who wins this game. illinois is good, but the biggest advantage we have over them is that we force a ton of TO's, and they turn the ball over a lot.

D3899AE4-F675-4D82-B168-DE820BEF05ED.thumb.jpeg.fe0ad26439d5b0e9d033806ab8ca86c6.jpeg

más you can see our defense is 10th in the country in TO%, where illionois's offense is 260th in TO%. more TO's = more fast breaks = easy points. illinois is 12th in AdjD and has been really good on that end. if they make us play a half court game then it comes down to how well we shoot from deep. i'll feel really good about our chances if we can win the turnover battle.

• Hook 'Em 4

I knew intellectually that we weren't going 28-3, but emotionally I was hyped. Reality crushing my irrational dreams was the toughest part of this loss. But it was inevitable.

The Big 12 conference season is going to have plenty of these kinds of games. I just hope not too many.

24-7 would be awesome. A 12-6 or 13-5 Conference record probably won't win the league but it will have us right in the mix. Let's go.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

A 12-6 or 13-5 Conference record probably won't win the league but it will have us right in the mix. Let's go.

Last night isn't enough for me to suggest that Texas isn't or won't be the best team in the B12 still. I don't think they're clear favorites but no one should be. There's no reason they can't win the league - especially considering 9 of those games will be at Moody. 

I mean, I could see us not losing a game at Moody all season. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Carr repeatedly dribbling the clock out to put up low percentage hero shots and the 4 guard roster on defense late in a close game against a bigger team was problematic … yesterday looked too much like last year, which was especially frustrating in light of how good we’ve looked earlier this year.

• Like 1

something that bothered me last night was how many times dillon was wide open for the lob while rolling to the basket, only for carr or hunter not to see him. as jay bilas kept pointing out, the space was in the middle, and time and time again mitchell would roll to the hoop with nobody around him, only to go unnoticed. i really hope that's something we get fixed after watching film. 

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

something that bothered me last night was how many times dillon was wide open for the lob while rolling to the basket, only for carr or hunter not to see him. as jay bilas kept pointing out, the space was in the middle, and time and time again mitchell would roll to the hoop with nobody around him, only to go unnoticed. i really hope that's something we get fixed after watching film. 

You know what I like about Chris Beard?  He watches film, and does something about what he sees.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

First ten minutes of the second half they passed well and got easy looks. They just fell asleep with the 10 point lead thinking they was about to win another game against a ranked walking away. They almost gave it up to creighton too. They need to learn to keep the high focus when they have it. When it’s on they are great but they have lapses often. It’s a problem across all competitive sports and it’s illusive and the difference between being good and being a champion. I still like what I see. Especially with 2/3 of the season remaining. It was a good learning experience. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Pancho said:

Gerry from the loss last night:

17943645-66E9-4ABC-B1FE-04966D0813E3.jpeg

66ABE9BF-9B80-4E75-92A3-4E70D759D8F5.jpeg

He’s not giving Illinois defense enough credit - their switching was intense for several stretches that gave Texas fits. Much of the first half and Texas solved it for the first 10-12 or so mins of the second half.  I actually thought of it much like the dominate cuse 2-3 zone that fucked TJ ford. It wasn’t that bad but it gave our guys fits. I don’t think the offense was as bad when they got a handle on it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, troph said:

First ten minutes of the second half they passed well and got easy looks. They just fell asleep with the 10 point lead thinking they was about to win another game against a ranked walking away. They almost gave it up to creighton too. They need to learn to keep the high focus when they have it. When it’s on they are great but they have lapses often. It’s a problem across all competitive sports and it’s illusive and the difference between being good and being a champion. I still like what I see. Especially with 2/3 of the season remaining. It was a good learning experience. 

2 minutes ago, troph said:

He’s not giving Illinois defense enough credit - their switching was intense for several stretches that gave Texas fits. Much of the first half and Texas solved it for the first 10-12 or so mins of the second half.  I actually thought of it much like the dominate cuse 2-3 zone that fucked TJ ford. It wasn’t that bad but it gave our guys fits. I don’t think the offense was as bad when they got a handle on it. 

I like both of these posts even though some of your grammar is questionable. 

I agree that Gerry was laying it on thick. Not that I give a shit what Gerry Hamilton thinks about basketball. Texas played plenty of good offense last night. They also played a lot of poor offense. But, like you said, Illinois should get some credit for their D. They made things extremely difficult. It's tough to keep up your focus to continue scoring against a D like that for 40 minutes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I like both of these posts even though some of your grammar is questionable. 

I agree that Gerry was laying it on thick. Not that I give a shit what Gerry Hamilton thinks about basketball. Texas played plenty of good offense last night. They also played a lot of poor offense. But, like you said, Illinois should get some credit for their D. They made things extremely difficult. It's tough to keep up your focus to continue scoring against a D like that for 40 minutes. 

Add Mayer’s 3 balls and Epps and the tech guy coming on in OT. Hell one free throw away from still walking away with a W and no one is damning the offense or anything. Humans - especially fans aka fanatics - are kind of irrational. 

the thing is beard will have our guys with the tools to win it all by seasons end the question will be can they be mentally tough enough and catch the breaks. Last night was a game that came down to one FT really. Tough break. 

Edited by troph

24 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Are we ever going to recruit a legit 3 point shooter?  Like, ever...

I'm assuming this random question is a veiled criticism of our 3 point shooting so I'll post this from the kenpom thread (it's more relevant here, anyway). 

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

This team takes a lot of bad 3s. With Arterio and Carr being the biggest offenders and Bishop and Disu chipping in for whatever reason. It's as much of an issue if not a bigger issue than the actual shooting ability. The two players that actually exhibit good shot selection from BTA - SJabari and Tyrese - are both shooting above 36%. I would say Brock does as well and he's 4/13 on the year which is about what you'd hope to get from him.

Meanwhile Timmy, Disu, Bishop and Terio are a cool 8/45 on the season. I actually think Carr - adjusted for shot quality - has been better than expected but he's at .325 on the year. 

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm assuming this random question is a veiled criticism of our 3 point shooting so I'll post this from the kenpom thread (it's more relevant here, anyway). 

It's a long term frustration that seems to transcend coaching regimes. 

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

you don't really recruit three point shooters, you generally develop them. every now and then you're able to sign a gradey dick, but for the most part you sign guys with shooting potential and then coach them into becoming shooters, hopefully by their sophomore year. 

Every other year Courtney Ramey shot fairly well from 3. His freshman year he shot 38% and then he swung down to 31% his sophomore year and back up to 41% his junior year.  Last year he shot 35%. Too bad he didn't come back for his 5th year as he's shooting 50% right now on his typical up swing year. 

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

With the students hard at work on their finals I have tickets to the game today against Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Looking forward to seeing the team in person. Hope none of the players have finals during the game.

Mitchell and Arterio actually asked to be excused from today's contest. They are taking their studies extremely seriously.

Just now, ztejas said:

Mitchell and Arterio actually asked to be excused from today's contest. They are taking their studies extremely seriously.

There was a game I attended around this time of year during the Penders era and I remember as the game went on players would show up from their exams and suit up and enter the game. That was kind of fun.

Well we probably won't need Arterio or Mitchell against Arkansas-Pine Bluff.