Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

Wow couldn’t watch the game last night and just saw the results. If there was one bet I never would have got right it would be that there was over 200 points scored against Ksu. What on effin earth happened. I would have suspected a 72-70 loss or something but 100+…im glad we can get to 100 but don’t like the lack of d. I know Capetian obvious 

No attempts were made to stop K St's best scorers from getting to their spots and getting whatever shots they wanted. No attempts were made to force the ball into a non playmaker's hands. No adjustments were made to slow their repeatedly successful drive-and-finish/drive-and-kick game. There were so many simple one-cut layups for them.  It was a shit show.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Pam Cummings said:

No attempts were made to stop K St's best scorers from getting to their spots and getting whatever shots they wanted. No attempts were made to force the ball into a non playmaker's hands. No adjustments were made to slow their repeatedly successful drive-and-finish/drive-and-kick game. There were so many simple one-cut layups for them.  It was a shit show.

We were reacting all night long.  It was pretty bad. 

Big ole F for Terry.  I'm not worried about him getting the job if Beard is gone - that was butt fucking ugly.  Big 12 play is going to be unkind to him. He's probably one of the worst coaches in the conference and we'd be taking a huge step back by keeping him.  Not a lot of proven upgrades from Beard, but I'd take most active head coaches over Terry. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

No attempts were made to stop K St's best scorers from getting to their spots and getting whatever shots they wanted. No attempts were made to force the ball into a non playmaker's hands. No adjustments were made to slow their repeatedly successful drive-and-finish/drive-and-kick game. It was a shit show.

On that end, it looked like KSU was scrimmaging against a local high school. 

Creighton has made a climb in the NET rankings and that has turned back into a Q1 win for us, giving us 3 for the year (tie for 6th most in the country).

Last years team had 8 Q1 wins (tied for 7th most in the country), for reference. Pretty much every game from here on out, especially on the road, is going to be an opportunity to pick up a Q1 win.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

This is going to be like the Avery Bradley year unless Beard somehow gets reinstated quickly.  I’m not even sure how losing the head coach can make THIS much of a difference on team defense so quickly - did the assistant coaches not even understand the system and what we were trying to accomplish? - but we’ve gone from an elite defensive team to a really bad defensive team in only a couple of weeks, with the exact same players.  It’s like when a middle school class runs wild on the substitute teacher or something.  Instead of keeping up the intensity and sticking to the concepts of the no middle defense, we’re telling  Terry that Beard always lets us watch movies during class and then we’re leaving to smoke pot in the bathroom. 

I’ve adjusted from national championship contender expectations to middle of the pack in conference and hoping we win a tournament game.  

Because Terry would rather try to be Lakers Showtime instead of the suffocating, in-your-shirt defense that Beard demands.  The Travis County DA needs to complete the investigation so we can either get Beard back on the sideline ASAP or start the coaching search behind the scenes in earnest.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

This is going to be like the Avery Bradley year unless Beard somehow gets reinstated quickly.  I’m not even sure how losing the head coach can make THIS much of a difference on team defense so quickly - did the assistant coaches not even understand the system and what we were trying to accomplish? - but we’ve gone from an elite defensive team to a really bad defensive team in only a couple of weeks, with the exact same players.  It’s like when a middle school class runs wild on the substitute teacher or something.  Instead of keeping up the intensity and sticking to the concepts of the no middle defense, we’re telling  Terry that Beard always lets us watch movies during class and then we’re leaving to smoke pot in the bathroom. 

I’ve adjusted from national championship contender expectations to middle of the pack in conference and hoping we win a tournament game.  

It's definitely on the players to some degree. I don't care who is coaching you giving up 116 at home is fucking embarassing. I absolutely agree that there's a "substitute teacher" phenomenon going on where they know they don't have to give as much effort because they won't get chewed out to the degree that they would were Beard on the sideline. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Figured I'd ask here in the Texas basketball thread instead of the Big 12 thread. Wife got me tickets to the KU game in Austin this year. Been to the old arena before but pretty excited about the new arena. Do they sell beer/whiskey? 

You guys might just be in luck, I have never witnessed KU win a game in the state of Texas in person.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, it's not exactly subtle.

University of Texas at Austin, Moody Center | Gensler

Holy shit, I guess they have to keep that signage up for concerts.  But when i did a walk-thru awhile back, they hadn't hung most of that shit (I guess that's one of the last things on the punch-list).  So first hoops game, there with the 7yo with some corporate seats that were pretty good.  So I look at how we came in and it's crowded as hell, so we walk straight up to the Indeed Lounge on the western end.  And it was like a fucking nightclub.  Took us a solid 4-5 minutes to fight through the crowd to get from one end of that long-ass bar to the other so we could get out to the restrooms.  and of course that club doorway opens up to another fucking main concourse craft brewery lounge.   

Daughter asked me why all these people were at this bar when the game is downstairs?  Don't know what I said, but what I thought was, "We're not paying for this arena..........but we're paying for this arena"  

20 hours ago, HookEm said:

Lollll. Imagine asking this question about the Moody Center.

Not trying to be a dick, but it is like the place was designed first and foremost to sell booze.

That's fine. I've never even looked up what it looks like. I like booze so win or lose I will have a good time.

36 minutes ago, 76Jayhawk said:

That's fine. I've never even looked up what it looks like. I like booze so win or lose I will have a good time.

Be warned, I think a standard cocktail is $18. Prior to national anthem, there's a "happy hour" where Bud LIght is $5 and Love Street is $6.  After that beer ranges from $9 for Bud to $18 for certain craft beer.

3 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Be warned, I think a standard cocktail is $18. Prior to national anthem, there's a "happy hour" where Bud LIght is $5 and Love Street is $6.  After that beer ranges from $9 for Bud to $18 for certain craft beer.

Hell I dont care. Wife got the tickets and hotel on her dime for my Christmas gift. I'll pay for the overpriced alcohol. The fact that they have Love Street pleases me though.

i remember my dad bringing home the little season schedule card for something like the '93 season and it featured a player in one of the grey jerseys and i thought it was so badass. i was super into trading cards, and i valued that thing as if it were a trading card, and even though i had a thousand of them. grey jerseys ftw.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was at that game.  Biggest bitch move of Nolan's career, and he had more than one.  From that moment on I hated that fucker.  I was in some crappy lower level seats in a corner opposite of his exit, and I'm pretty sure he heard everything I called him, none of which didn't start with "mother".

No way should he have been allowed to return for OT.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I was at that game.  Biggest bitch move of Nolan's career, and he had more than one.  From that moment on I hated that fucker.  I was in some crappy lower level seats in a corner opposite of his exit, and I'm pretty sure he heard everything I called him, none of which didn't start with "mother".

No way should he have been allowed to return for OT.

I was in a crappy upper level seat; one of those games you never get over. Some hated opposing coaches you eventually learn to respect but not that fucker.

Glad you could express our feelings to him, and thank you for your service.

re: the '22-'23 season- the regular season is over and does not matter. the same goes for the conference tournament, assuming we don't win it. a couple of weeks ago this team was headed for a 1-3 seed in the tourney with both regular season and big xii tourney titles realistic possibilities. now we suddenly have a team that loses 116-103 in one game and then wins the next game 56-46. in other words, we don't know wtf we've got, we just know it's not what it was before coach beard and the missus decided to involve APD in their retarded, juvenile relationship.

the way i see it, i'll watch the rest of the season with hopes of seeing some sort of steady progress and/or formation of an identity under Terry, and then i'll hang 100% of my hopes for this season on the tourney. we still have all of the same players, they have chemistry, they have varied talents and skill sets, and they're all either savvy vets or 5 star studs. it's absolutely plausible that this team could have an underwhelming regular season followed by a deep run in the tourney, a la UNC last year, only this team is better than that one. 

this program deserves that; our fans deserve that; our players damn sure deserve that. from all of the transfers to the stud 5* freshmen, they've all fully bought in to being Longhorns, and to winning as representatives of the University of Texas. they've all sacrificed time and time again for the greater collective good, and they did nothing to deserve this mid season clusterfuck. so i don't care about the rest of the regular season. i'm just pinning all of my hopes and dreams on one magical tourney run, a run that, again, we all fucking deserve at this point.

side note: it would be sick if we had a decent but not great conference run, but then won the league tourney and played into the third weekend, only to happily see Rodney Terry take a head coaching job somewhere else, as we convince Musselman/Oats/Cronin/Lloyd to take over as the new full time HC. that's the new dream. here's to seeing it come true. 🤘🏼 

• Hook 'Em 5

Atmosphere should be pretty good tonight.  I know the students don't like it, but it's good that we're not waiting until after MLK day to start the semester.  Good for basketball.  That was always something people didn't understand when complaining about student noise at hoops games.  Between T-Day week (1 game), Finals (1 game), and semester break (usually 4-5 games), that was well over 1/3rd of our home season where students weren't on campus.  But they're in the right spots now at Moody and making noise.  This is the first game for most of them since Beard was suspended, let alone fired.  Let's see how they do.