Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

That Kansas State loss is going to become Quadrant 2 if they drop much more, right?  Isn't Quadrant 1 the top 30 for home games?

They’re 16 in NET

Texas is 9th in NET today, with KU at 8 and ISU at 10. Baylor 14, KSU 16, TCU 17

• Hook 'Em 1

KSU would have to really lose some form to drop to a Q2 by the end of the year.

The ISU loss is meaningless outside of conference standings. As will be a loss in Manhattan or Lawrence (obviously winning those games would be huge - but losses don't move the needle).

I think this team can go 13-5 in conference. It's looking like the conference winner will have at a bare minimum 3 losses and most likely 4.

Everyone in the top 4 is still very much in the B12 title race. 

Edited by ztejas

24 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

lol wut. They’re 17-2 and 6-1 in conference and you think that makes them close to dropping to a Q2 team? 

I was looking at KenPom, not NET.  They're 26 in KenPom.  Were KenPom to be predictive of final quadrants, that's dangerously close.  I didn't say it was a stone cold lock.

On 1/18/2023 at 2:27 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Makes sense to me.  I mean, if you're trying to avoid them getting sent to the bench, putting them on the bench doesn't seem particularly wise.

Especially if they’re playing really well when they pick up that foul. Guy’s on fire shooting and you’re going to sit him for 5-7 minutes?

This team went 4-5 on the road in Big 12 play last year (@ KSU, @ TCU, @ OU, @WV).  Already at 3 Big 12 road wins this year (@ OSU, @ OU, @ WV).  I do not expect to win in Lawrence or Manhattan, but we should have a legitimate chance to win @ Tech and @ Baylor and maybe @ TCU. 5-4 or 6-3 road record would go a long way if we can take care of business at home versus OSU, Baylor, OU and ISU.  Kansas at Moody would just be golden. 

That would put us at 11-13 Big 12 wins.  We finished with 10 last year.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm 80% sure I just saw Longhorn all-time leading scorer Terrence Rencher walking through McCombs to get to AT&T Hotel in OSU gear.  I knew he's been moving up the coaching ranks but had no idea he was with the Cowboys now.  Good for him.  But fuck OSU, we need the win tomorrow night

• Hook 'Em 2

Looks like it's his second year on staff there, so second game in Austin (I don't remember last year's game).  Looked happy and good for his age, unlike some of our assistants who've aged 6 years in the last 6 weeks.  Just took a glance at his resume, he's been at some quality programs and had professional success. 

Another thing we got fucked on with Beard...he was actually doing a solid job (post-Covid) of bringing in former players and coaches to be around the program/recruits more.  Shake said he wanted to, but never really did it.  I remember TJ and Buckman and a few others not in the league anymore in the back of his press conference all hyped up, some had driven in that morning from all points Texas.  Talking about how great it was gonna be to get back into the mix.  Obviously Terry can't do that mid-season, but just another kick in the nuts I was reminded of by Rencher.  

But, we've looked better than I thought since Beard was effectively dismissed before Rice game.  Lotta hoops to play yet, but yeah---this one is a must win.  

Still early, but a decently objective bracketology from CBS posted after lunch:  (us as #2 in Midwest with Alabama)  

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/bracketology-struggling-kansas-holds-on-to-a-no-1-seed-in-ncaa-tournament-bracket-projection/

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Looks like it's his second year on staff there, so second game in Austin (I don't remember last year's game).  Looked happy and good for his age, unlike some of our assistants who've aged 6 years in the last 6 weeks.  Just took a glance at his resume, he's been at some quality programs and had professional success. 

Another thing we got fucked on with Beard...he was actually doing a solid job (post-Covid) of bringing in former players and coaches to be around the program/recruits more.  Shake said he wanted to, but never really did it.  I remember TJ and Buckman and a few others not in the league anymore in the back of his press conference all hyped up, some had driven in that morning from all points Texas.  Talking about how great it was gonna be to get back into the mix.  Obviously Terry can't do that mid-season, but just another kick in the nuts I was reminded of by Rencher.  

But, we've looked better than I thought since Beard was effectively dismissed before Rice game.  Lotta hoops to play yet, but yeah---this one is a must win.  

Still early, but a decently objective bracketology from CBS posted after lunch:  (us as #2 in Midwest with Alabama)  

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/bracketology-struggling-kansas-holds-on-to-a-no-1-seed-in-ncaa-tournament-bracket-projection/

This is what I’m hoping the new coach does, regardless of who he is. The culture thing was a great, great selling point to recruits and fans. 

• Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

we've already got two losses in conference and we still have four games against KU and BU, plus K State away, TCU away, and TTU away. i cannot see us going 5-2 in those games, and there's no guarantee we win the other three remaining games. i really can't imagine his team winning the league.

ec075814-8b21-4e0d-b3fd-65647ede05da_text.gif.f1a684155108a99cce2ba90e690522f8.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

No reason at this point to think any of the top half couldn't win it all. KU is very vulnerable and there's no way to predict how it will all shake out. Everyone still has many tough games that could go either way. Hell, if KState loses in Lubbock and Morgantown it wouldn't really surprise me.

The games that will clarify where Texas stands lie before us. We beat the bottom half teams in some nail biters. About 2 weeks from now we will know if Texas is a middle of the pack big12 team or a contender for top or second spots and a top 4 tournament seed.

We need Hunter, Allen and Mitchell to get back to consistent, smart play within their roles. Carr and Rice are carrying more of the load than they should be with a team this skilled on paper. Disu has been a pleasant surprise with the extended minutes Terry has been giving him. Bishop has been able decent.

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I don’t think this Kansas team is really all that great or talented compared to their usual squads.  Self has won the league several times when that was the case before, of course, but I don’t really see it.  They lean on Jalen Wilson like he’s Kevin Durant or something, and I don’t even know that he’s an NBA player. 

I think Baylor and TCU might actually have the best teams even though they’re currently on the 3 loss line.  Pre-Beard drama I would have put us up there as the top team in the conference and maybe the country.  We actually have responded better than I thought we would after that KSU game, but I still think we’ve taken too much of a step back to really be a contender to win the league.  We’ve had a pretty friendly first part of the schedule, by Big 12 standards anyway.

#8 in conference SOS to this point. 

1A9022E6-2F8C-43A7-AE29-3145FD3FE024.jpeg

x/post from game thread-

it is shocking how poorly we defend the three since beard left. if anyone out there still wonders just how much of it is the coaches and how much of it is the players, look no further than 2022-23 Texas. you subtract one person from a program of dozens of players, coaches, trainers, support staff, etc, and the team goes from a team with a clear identity based around intense, smothering defense, and a team that is a favorite to make the FF, to a team with no identity that can give up 80, 90, 100+ points every night. it's unreal. Beard was everything to this program. we'll never replace that stupid SOB.

Edited by shadow_operative

Good little read from a couple days ago. 

https://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/opinion/2023/01/23/unfinished-business-torontos-marcus-carr-leads-texas-longhorns-with-assist-from-former-raptor.html

Carr's numbers on the season so far:

17.6 ppg .511 2P% .415 3P% .803 FT% 

4.3 apg 2.9 rpg 1.8 spg 1.8 tov

It's been awhile since someone had a season this good at Texas. He should be in contention for an AA team let alone B12 honors.

• Hook 'Em 4

I was crushed with the Beard saga. Totally pulled the rug out from me. I had to mourn the loss of what I had imagined would be: years of enjoying a successful program with him at the helm.

Now, I’m pretty much over that and just enjoying the games. The team has responded better than I expected. Losing Beard is weirdly freeing in terms of expectations; we’re now as much of an underdog that #10 in the country could be. Instead of anxiously waiting for our favorite to falter, I’m seeing a group deal with adversity and succeeding.

All said, I can’t complain too much at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 5

29 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

There are some pieces that could stick around next season. 

Cunningham, Hunter, Mitchell, Morris, Brumbaugh, and Anamekwe gives you a decent starting base. 

Maybe I'll be wrong, but just really hard for me to believe even 3 of those guys you mentioned will be back. I certainly don't think both Mitchell and Morris will return for second seasons and Hunter coming back when he seems to be the player affected most by the Beard departure feels like a pipe dream.

You just don't get that sort of continuity with a coaching change. I have a similar feeling towards the two signees. I'll be absolutely thrilled if just one of Holland or Johnson are on campus come June.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Maybe I'll be wrong, but just really hard for me to believe even 3 of those guys you mentioned will be back. I certainly don't think both Mitchell and Morris will return for second seasons and Hunter coming back when he seems to be the player affected most by the Beard departure feels like a pipe dream.

You just don't get that sort of continuity with a coaching change. I have a similar feeling towards the two signees. I'll be absolutely thrilled if just one of Holland or Johnson are on campus come June.

Hunter came here because of NIL. Now is he worth the money he will want to return? Not sure. 

I don't think Mitchell or Morris are NBA risks anymore. Mitchell is starting to look like a 2nd round pick (at best) based on mock drafts and Morris is no threat at all of being drafted. Mitchell has been campaigning for Terry to get the head coaching gig. It's why I think there's a ton of value in keeping Terry. IMO Texas would get Mitchell and Morris back next year and potentially keep Holland if Terry remains on staff as an assistant. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Definitely don't see Hunter coming back at all.  

Hunter is going to the school that gives him the most NIL money. It was public knowledge that he came here in big part because of NIL. 

He definitely isn't going to the NBA. Now the question is how much money does Texas want to allocate to a player that's struggled this year? 

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Hunter came here because of NIL. Now is he worth the money he will want to return? Not sure. 

I don't think Mitchell or Morris are NBA risks anymore. Mitchell is starting to look like a 2nd round pick (at best) based on mock drafts and Morris is no threat at all of being drafted. Mitchell has been campaigning for Terry to get the head coaching gig. It's why I think there's a ton of value in keeping Terry. IMO Texas would get Mitchell and Morris back next year and potentially keep Holland if Terry remains on staff as an assistant. 

That's fine.  He ain't worth the NIL as it stands.  He's clearly unhappy. 

Who the new coach's assistants are should not be influenced by Mitchell and/or Morris sticking around.  Do not agree with forcing an assistant onto a head coach.  they get to pick their staff.  

With the portal, that new coach can go make whatever team he wants.

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Agreed that Mitchell and Morris aren't NBA risks, but Morris in particular is someone who is barely playing right now and Terry doesn't seem to trust him a ton (which of course why would he when he has 3 senior guards). Morris has played 10 or fewer minutes in 6 of 8 Big 12 games. Maybe he sees his role being expanded next year and will stick around, but I don't think this is the freshman season he envisioned in addition to his own off-court issues. 

And to me anyone who is barely seeing the court right now is at risk of bouncing or getting processed by the next staff. We are going to have to probably take 6 or more transfers this offseason. If you are Rowan Brumbaugh taking a redshirt you have to be antsy wondering what is ahead. The new staff is going to have zero film to evaluate you on and there is a better chance than not you will be buried on the depth chart again next season.

Edited by Hookem2147

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That's fine.  He ain't worth the NIL as it stands.  He's clearly unhappy. 

Who the new coach's assistants are should not be influenced by Mitchell and/or Morris sticking around.  Do not agree with forcing an assistant onto a head coach.  they get to pick their staff.  

With the portal, that new coach can go make whatever team he wants.

I don't think you should force an assistant on the next coach but if keeping Terry meant Morris, Mitchell, and Holland were all on the roster next year I would hope the next coach is rational enough to understand that's extremely valuable. 

He's 1 of 3 assistants and if it doesn't work for a year then you move on. 

Assuming Terry doesn't get a P5 level coaching gig I would bet that Terry is on staff next year regardless of the coach. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Saw on Reddit:

Texas has 6 Q1 wins (KU and Purdue lead with 7) and 2 Q2 wins, giving us 8 Q1+Q2 wins.  KU leads with 11, Alabama and UCLA have 10, Purdue and Xavier have 9 and Texas is in a big clump of teams with 8 (Arizona, ISU, Baylor, TCU, Marquette, UH, Gonzaga, Tenn, Auburn, Boise St)