Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

I fucking love this team so much. Most fun team to watch since the first decade of this century. 

These dudes are going to hang a banner. Conference Champs. Conference Tournament Champs. Sweet 16. Something, I just know it.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Both our Men's and Women's teams are atop the league standings. Have we ever had a season when both teams won the conference?

Last time was 1986.

We don't win the Big 12 very often in either sport.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Got me thinking,

Men won:  1998-99, 2005-06, & 2007-08     3 titles

Women won:  2002-03, 2003-04    2 titles

No overlap.  But I forget how badass both programs were side-by-side from 2002-08.  Looks like we're trending that way again.  

It's been a while since the ladies have been this good. 

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Got me thinking,

Men won:  1998-99, 2005-06, & 2007-08     3 titles

Women won:  2002-03, 2003-04    2 titles

No overlap.  But I forget how badass both programs were side-by-side from 2002-08.  Looks like we're trending that way again.  

The 2005 and 2007 titles were shared right?

Last outright one was 1998?

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

It's been a while since the ladies have been this good. 

An elite 8 and three Sweet 16s from 2015-2018. Plus the back to back Elite 8s in 2021 and 2022. Men have never been to back to back E8s and haven’t had that kind of postseason success since 2003-2008

If Beard hadn’t fucked up, both were going to go on some sustained postseason runs. Can’t miss on Beard’s replacement to keep the momentum going 

Yep.  Though Aston was underrated, she has set up Vic for big success.  Didn't realize in her last 7 seasons here---Aston finished 2nd or 3rd in the league every single time.  And four Sweet 16's.  She doesn't get enough credit.  And the other eerie thing is nobody ever talks about Coach G.  Came here with all that hype from Duke (and deservedly so) to take the mantle from the O.C. Conradt herself.  and was just an overpaid trainwreck for 5 seasons.  She leaves, nobody ever talked about her time here, she left the game completely for a few years before resurfacing as an assistant at Central Michigan.  Just bizarre.  

I'm glad to see Shaka at a place like Marquette and obviously Barnes is still keeping Tennessee in the mix for hardware and tourney runs (5 out of his last 6 seasons have been damn good).  I could see Beard going either way.  Either heads off to an obscure program or asst. on an NBA team.  Or he lands an even more prominent position than Texas in 18 months and takes that team to the Elite 8 in his first year.  I dunno.

Anyway, this particular season is going much better than I expected two months ago.  

For potential for most UT fans to be local and cheer for us...I'd like to submit to the selection committee we be seeded in Denver, then New York, then Houston.  thankyou.

11 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

And the other eerie thing is nobody ever talks about Coach G.  Came here with all that hype from Duke (and deservedly so) to take the mantle from the O.C. Conradt herself.  and was just an overpaid trainwreck for 5 seasons.  She leaves, nobody ever talked about her time here, she left the game completely for a few years before resurfacing as an assistant at Central Michigan.  Just bizarre.  

The thing about Coach G is she resigned even as UT was asking her to stay. All kinds of weirdness from that time.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

The Ladies have been really good, they just haven't won the conference much.

Yeah, that's what I meant to write. They have been good in the tournament but haven't won or been near the top of the conference. Granted I am a casual follower, so I maybe completely off here.

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The 2005 and 2007 titles were shared right?

Last outright one was 1998?

Yeah but both times we beat Kansas and were #1 in the Conference Tournament. So in my mind we were the real champions both times.

Granted Kansas also got revenge both times in the Conference Tournament Championship game.

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah but both times we beat Kansas and were #1 in the Conference Tournament. So in my mind we were the real champions both times.

Granted Kansas also got revenge both times in the Conference Tournament Championship game.

Fair. Plus the regular season title does hold more weight than the tournament title imo. I don’t consider us the Big 12 champs in 2021.

Same way I think about it in baseball. 

11 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The thing about Coach G is she resigned even as UT was asking her to stay. All kinds of weirdness from that time.

The one thing I remember about Coach G is that I saw her at Shady Grove shortly as she was hired and I thought to myself that she had a pretty fantastic ass. I mean, an outstanding ass.

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’ll knock on all the wood, but I thought heading into this weekend that at Kansas was more winnable than this game today.

If Adams had only wandered across town to play for UT instead of KU, we'd beat them and just about everyone else like the proverbial rented mule. 

16 minutes ago, South Austin said:

The one thing I remember about Coach G is that I saw her at Shady Grove shortly as she was hired and I thought to myself that she had a pretty fantastic ass. I mean, an outstanding ass.

I met her right after she was hired. Blew the crowd away and we all believed. What a letdown 

Regaled us with stories about working with Coach K, the mystique of Duke basketball, her vision for Texas. 

Sad Season 9 GIF by The Office

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Should we be favored Monday? I was shocked we were favored today but obviously Vegas knows their stuff and we definitely match up better against Kansas than Kansas State.

Thinking it will be in the neighborhood of KU -2 but I could see a pick em. 

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

8th in NET

KU is 10th, ISU 12, Baylor 13, TCU 17, WV 20, KSU 22, OSU 35

A win Monday would give us at least 1 win versus every top 25 Big 12 NET team 

I don’t pretend to understand NET but we sure look a lot like Tennessee for there to be a 6 spot delta between us.  At least what was displayed as far as record splits for location and quads.  Maybe margin of victory and other things are factored in that make the difference?

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t pretend to understand NET but we sure look a lot like Tennessee for there to be a 6 spot delta between us.  At least what was displayed as far as record splits for location and quads.  Maybe margin of victory and other things are factored in that make the difference?

Idk. Tenn has us beat on NC SOS (8 vs 30) but our overall SOS is stronger due to playing in the big 12

+11.8 scoring margin for us. +17.7 for Tenn

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It's the efficiency rankings (basically kenpom).  Tennessee's is #1 in defense.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-scores-winners-and-losers-tennessee-gets-controversial-win-six-top-15-teams-go-down/

Loser: Kansas hits another (not great) milestone 

After shaking off a rare three-game losing skid in league play with wins over Kentuckyand Kansas State in consecutive games, No. 8 Kansas on Saturday slumped to its fourth loss in its last five Big 12 outings with a 68-53 loss to Iowa State. The loss was KU's first-ever four-losses-in-five-games stretch of league play under Hall of Fame coach Bill Self and its 53 points were the lowest output in a conference game under his watch, too.

Kansas is still a 1?? They’ve lost 4 of their last 6

Loser: K-State might have lost chance at Big 12 title 

In the vaunted Big 12, wins of any kind are hard to come by but you have to defend your home court if you're going to remain in the hunt for the conference championship. 

Kansas State did not do that. 

No. 10 Texas instead marched into No. 7 Kansas State's home arena and came out with a massive road W, leaving victorious 69-66. A win for K-State would have made for a three-way tie atop the standings with the Wildcats, Longhorns and Iowa State, but instead Texas padded its lead in the standings to two games over Kansas State and TCU with both teams losing while going up one game on Iowa State.

The Longhorns will jump to the projected No. 1 seed line in Palm's Bracketology with the win, replacing Arizona. Purdue, Alabama and Kansas are the other projected No. 1s after Saturday's action, according to Palm. Texas will face the Jayhawks on Monday.

Edited by Js1

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Kansas is still a 1?? They’ve lost 4 of their last 6

No - that bracket is from 2 days ago. 

FoKBiLEaEAAVJv1.thumb.jpeg.b214deb2bc4aaae34abeaed7960a9bfe.jpeg

I have no idea how Kansas was a 1 seed going into yesterday but Texas is a 2 seed today? Apparently the B12 #1 only gets a 1 seed if that team is Kansas. 

I also don't understand Arizona being over UCLA (that one especially - makes zero sense) and Alabama being over Tennessee. 

• Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

No - that bracket is from 2 days ago. 

This is CBS (Jerry Palm), not Lunardi.  Palm still has KU as a 1 after yesterday, and we jumped into the 1 seed line with our win and knocked Arizona to a 2. 

Just now, Js1 said:

This is CBS (Jerry Palm), not Lunardi.  Palm still has KU as a 1 after yesterday, and we jumped into the 1 seed line with our win and knocked Arizona to a 2. 

No, Palm doesn't. The bracket they linked to in the article is from Friday. The author of that article is a dipshit. I'm posting Lunardi because he's basically the authority and he has already updated everything. 

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No, Palm doesn't. The bracket they linked to in the article is from Friday. The author of that article is a dipshit. I'm posting Lunardi because he's basically the authority and he has already updated everything. 

The article says that in the next iteration, Texas will replace Arizona as a 1 and the other 1s are still Kansas, Purdue, and Alabama. 

probably moot though as the loser tomorrow night probably drops out to a 2, depending I guess on other action throughout the week. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The article says that in the next iteration, Texas will replace Arizona as a 1 and the other 1s are still Kansas, Purdue, and Alabama. 

Which is nonsense. The article can say whatever it wants. 

Arizona beat osu by 32 points yesterday. Why would they drop a seed line? 

Edited by ztejas

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

probably moot though as the loser tomorrow night probably drops out to a 2, depending I guess on other action throughout the week. 

Well, they've lost 4 of 5 Big 12 games, so I guess we should just keep that going for them to make it 5 of 6. 

If UH wins today, my guess for the ranking tomorrow are:

UH

Purdue (lost on the road to a ranked team)

Alabama

Arizona

Tennessee (lost to unranked UF and looked generally bad all week but did beat a ranked Auburn)

Texas (jumps UCLA because we won against 2 top 11 teams, but Tenn beat us a week ago, so it’s too recent to jump them) 

UCLA 

Kansas (went 1-1 and lost on the road to a ranked team) 

Virginia (lost to an unranked team) 

Baylor (went 1-1 and lost on the road to a ranked team)

27 minutes ago, Pancho said:

kansas -3.5

I hope we can stay focused and hungry coming off an emotional road win. I felt good about the kstate game but not so much about this one. If we win this by a miracle, then winning the conference and a #1 seed becomes a real possibility.

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

I hope we can stay focused and hungry coming off an emotional road win. I felt good about the kstate game but not so much about this one. If we win this by a miracle, then winning the conference and a #1 seed becomes a real possibility.

It doesn’t line up well with KU looking to respond after a terrible showing in Ames, and with UT coming off an emotional and really tough win. I’m hoping for a close game but wouldn’t be surprised if KU wins semi-comfortably bc of circumstance. Either way KU can eat a bowl of fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

saw the same -3.5 before bedtime as y'all.  This morning, Kansas -4.0, just like Bluto's GPA.  

I know, I know.  Beware the Phog.  

Well guess what?  It's foggy in Austin this morning too! 

(checks notes, team has been in Kansas City since Friday)

Well then, Rock Chalk...Suck my Cock!  

Go Horns!  Tonight we Ride! 

Texas already has wins in Stillwater, Norman, Manhattan and Morgantown.  If we can grab a single win in Lubbock, Fort Worth, Waco or Lawrence, we would hit 5 Big 12 road wins.  Last year we had 4 and we had 6 in Shaka's last year, which is why we were seeded #3. 

Texas has already hit it's Big 12 road win total from last season (4) with 4 more to play
2 more would equal 2021's 6, which is why we finished 11-6 and got a national #3 seed

5 or 6 Big 12 road wins - would be hard to deny Texas a 1 or 2 seed, unless we tanked at home versus WV/OU. 

• Hook 'Em 2