Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

I don't see Texas winning 2 or 3 games in the conference tournament. We are not a very good team away from Moody. That may hurt us more in getting the #1 seed than our quad 4 wins.

Teams on our side of the bracket and their records away from home-

Oklahoma State 6-9

OU 6-9

K-State 7-7

TCU 7-7

Almost everyone in the Big 12 struggles away from home because beating Big 12 teams on the road is difficult. 

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Teams on our side of the bracket and their records away from home-

Oklahoma State 6-9

OU 6-9

K-State 7-7

TCU 7-7

Almost everyone in the Big 12 struggles away from home because beating Big 12 teams on the road is difficult. 

Point taken. We lost the last 4 away games. I think we can get through OU/OSU but the next game I am not so sure of.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Point taken. We lost the last 4 away games. I think we can get through OU/OSU but the next game I am not so sure off.

We're playing at a neutral site, amigo. We were the clear-cut 2nd best team in the B12 and are even with KU in kenpom. KU was 5-4 on the road, we were 4-5. We beat KSt in Manhattan - KU beat TCU in FW. KU of course doesn't have to play in Lubbock with TEXAS written across their jerseys and there you have the difference. 

If Texas isn't good enough to win the B12 tourney then the other teams should probably hang it up ahead of time. 

Granted other teams have a lot more to play for than we do. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

We're playing at a neutral site, amigo. We were the clear-cut 2nd best team in the B12 and are even with KU in kenpom. KU was 5-4 on the road, we were 4-5. We beat KSt in Manhattan - KU beat TCU in FW. KU of course doesn't have to play in Lubbock with TEXAS written across their jerseys and there you have the difference. 

If Texas isn't good enough to win the B12 tourney then the other teams should probably hang it up ahead of time. 

Granted other teams have a lot more to play for than we do. 

My comment was related to why we may not get the #1 seed. Compared to other potential #1 seeds, our away (including neutral sites) record is worse. Then when you consider we have very little to gain from making a deep run in the conference, I feel like we don't have a good shot at the #1 seed.

8 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

My comment was related to why we may not get the #1 seed. Compared to other potential #1 seeds, our away (including neutral sites) record is worse. Then when you consider we have very little to gain from making a deep run in the conference, I feel like we don't have a good shot at the #1 seed.

Why are you trying to backtrack? I'm not illiterate. And no, that isn't really what your comments were about.

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

I don't see Texas winning 2 or 3 games in the conference tournament. We are not a very good team away from Moody.

You wrote this. Didn't I just address this? 

28 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I think we can get through OU/OSU but the next game I am not so sure off.

Then you wrote this. 

I mean you are pretty plainly saying you don't think Texas can make a run in the B12 tournament. The caveat that Texas doesn't have much to gain you didn't bring up until I had already conceded it. 

I mean, personally, I hope we lose the first game. That doesn't mean that I'd be shocked if Texas won all 3 games. Who the fuck wants to play this Texas team with a tourney spot or seeding on the line? 

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Why are you trying to backtrack? I'm not illiterate. 

You wrote this. Didn't I just address this? 

Then you wrote this. 

I mean you are pretty plainly saying you don't think Texas can make a run in the B12 tournament. The caveat that Texas doesn't have much to gain you didn't bring up until I had already conceded it. 

I mean, personally, I hope we lose the first game. That doesn't mean that I'd be shocked if Texas won all 3 games. Who the fuck wants to play this Texas team with a tourney spot or seeding on the line? 

There were two parts to what I wrote. I don't think Texas will make a deep run in the conference and that our past away record would hurt us. You can disagree with both takes but there is no way to know what will play out. Can Texas make a deep run? Sure but I won't bet on it. 

• Haha 1

Gerry said he’s hearing we are going to be seeing a lot of Arterio Morris on Thursday. Said he expects him to play more than he’s played all season. Said there are one or two minor injuries to the guards that the coaches want to help heal up.

Edited by Hookem2147

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry said he’s hearing we are going to be seeing a lot of Arterio Morris on Thursday. Said he expects him to play more than he’s played all season. Said there are one or two minor injuries to the guards that the coaches want to help heal up.

I'm fine with that.  If we seem pretty much a 2 seed lock regardless of result, and our very small chance at a 1 seed requires winning 3 games in 3 days, I'd rather let some other guys rest.   NCAA >>> Big 12 tournament for us 

• Hook 'Em 2

any good guesses on where the Horns end up in the tourney first 2 rounds, regardless what happens in big 12 tourney?  The 2 seed is locked up but what's odd is every projection I've seen has them in a different region: midwest, east and I even saw one in the west which didn't make sense.  I'm seeing a lot of talk of us dropped in Denver, which would be much better than fucking Birmingham. Be cool to plan a late spring break trip but kinda tough when you don't find out till Sunday.

6 minutes ago, ballrific said:

any good guesses on where the Horns end up in the tourney first 2 rounds, regardless what happens in big 12 tourney?  The 2 seed is locked up but what's odd is every projection I've seen has them in a different region: midwest, east and I even saw one in the west which didn't make sense.  I'm seeing a lot of talk of us dropped in Denver, which would be much better than fucking Birmingham. Be cool to plan a late spring break trip but kinda tough when you don't find out till Sunday.

I booked (refundable) plane tickets to Denver a few weeks ago in hopes we would end up there. I'm going no matter where we end up but yes, I'm also not thrilled Birmingham may be the spot.

45 minutes ago, ballrific said:

Well, I'm pretty sure the region we're in doesn't actually matter for the site of the first two rounds. But since none of the 1st/2nd round sites are very close to Austin at all, I think it's anyone's guess where we end up.

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry is now hinting that one of the guards is not playing tomorrow, which is why Morris is going to see a huge increase in minutes.

100% on board with letting anyone with a nagging injury heal and letting the chips fall.  Way more important to be healthy next week.

• Hook 'Em 2

Hopefully it's not Hunter because he's heating up a bit here at the end and I'd like his little groove to continue

ISU - 15 points on 5-9 shooting (3-5 BTA)
Baylor - 13 points on 5-13 shooting (3-6 BTA)
TCU - 15 points on 5-10 shooting (2-4 BTA)
KU - 20 points on 4-10 shooting (3-7 BTA)

First stretch of 4 games of double digit scoring since he opened the season with 7 consecutive double digit scoring games.  After the Illinois game, he only had 6 double digit scoring games between December 10 and February 21 (20 games), which includes 7 games with 5 or less points - 2 games with 2 points and a game with a big fat donut (TTU at home)

FCB notes on Tyrese Hunter's emergence post cramping issues and wrist injury, as well as RT's salary:

Spoiler

TYRESE HUNTER TALKS ABOUT OVERCOMING INJURIES EARLIER IN SEASON

11653570.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Chris Covatta, Getty)

Tyrese Hunter said Wednesday he’s come to life the last four games while averaging 15.8 points on 45.2 percent shooting, including 50 percent shooting from 3-point range, because he’s finally healthy.

Hunter said he played through “muscle spasms” early in the season, when he had a recurring issue with cramping late in games, as well as a wrist injury on his shooting hand that has nagged him the second half of the season.

“I just fought through it and just kept playing,” Hunter said. “Now that I'm back out there healthy, you can see more pop in my game. So I'm just happy to be out there.”

Texas (23-8, 12-6 Big 12) will play Oklahoma State (18-14, 8-10) on Thursday at 6 pm CT on ESPN2 in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Tournament. OSU, the seventh seed, defeated 10th-seeded Oklahoma Wednesday night 57-49 to advance.

The second-seeded Longhorns swept the Cowboys during the regular season with both meetings coming in the month of January.

Hunter was a combined 2-for-12 shooting (16.7 percent) in those wins over OSU.

Acting Texas coach Rodney Terry said Hunter is a mentally tougher player for having battled through his injuries this season.

"He was going through some things physically, and we weren't at liberty to talk about that,” Terry said. “Although I thought when he was in the games prior to having those issues, I thought he was giving us what he could.

“He hadn't really experienced a great deal of adversity injury-wise. It takes a mental aspect to get through as well. And I think once we got all that figured out, you saw the Tyrese we expected to see all year long in terms of not worrying about going too hard and cramping up. He could just play and play freely.”

In addition to Hunter’s offense the last four games, Hunter has returned to being a lockdown defender for Texas, including holding TCU’s Mike Myles (17.2 points per game) to just 1 point on 0-of-8 shooting with five turnovers in a 75-73 loss at TCU last week.

“I started the year off pretty hot, and then I hit adversity,” Hunter said. “Going through the injuries, battling through that, I kind of accepted a role of doing whatever I could to go out there and help my team win. The scoring died down a little bit, and I tried to do all the other things. But once I shook the injuries, you can see the last four games, I’m getting back to myself and just being aggressive and being that dog on defense.”

That’s great timing for Hunter, who got hot at this time last year at Iowa State and helped the Cyclones reach the Sweet 16 while Hunter earned Big 12 Freshman of the Year honors.

“This time of year, I say it's kill or be killed,” said Hunter, who hit seven 3s for Iowa State in a first-round NCAA tourney upset of LSU last year. “You gotta go out there with that dog mentality. Nobody’s trying to go home. You don't want to go home and watch everybody else play. You want to be out there playing. So just take it real personal. If it means something to you, cherish it, appreciate it and go get it.”

There was a report Texas acting head coach Rodney Terry had his salary doubled from $600,000 (what he was earning as associate head coach) to $1.2 million after taking over as acting head coach when Chris Beard was suspended on Dec. 12 (and ultimately fired on Jan. 5).

According to an open records request made by Horns247, Terry did, indeed, have his per month salary doubled from $50,000 per month to $100,000 per month. But it was only effective from Dec. 12 through April. So, Terry will earn $850,000 for the season.

Considering Beard was earning $5 million per year before he was fired, Texas had one of its best regular seasons in the last 15 years under an acting head coach earning a bargain salary ($850,000).

According to the Horns247 open records request, no other coaches on staff received a pay bump following Beard’s dismissal.

I would not be surprised if Texas is seeded in a bracket where they will match up against aggy, Tennessee or Marquette.  Obviously Tenn or Marquette would be further in the tourney but the committee loves to create controversial matchups for Texas up against rivals or former head coaches, something with a past history.

• Rage+1 1

42 minutes ago, Victorious1 said:

I would not be surprised if Texas is seeded in a bracket where they will match up against aggy, Tennessee or Marquette.  Obviously Tenn or Marquette would be further in the tourney but the committee loves to create controversial matchups for Texas up against rivals or former head coaches, something with a past history.

Tenn and Marquette look like 3 seeds, so I'm sure we will get one of them

aggy is currently a 7 seed, so....

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah but his last one isn’t as fun for us I can promise you. 

Tell me about it. Fucker still hasn't added "aq" next to Texas, either.

Besides, I'm in Vegas on a job for several works. Don't gamble and don't give a shit about the shows, but a rare chance to catch a Texas tournament game? Yes, please!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

giving us mizzou, uconn, uva, tcu, and miami would be a giant Fuck You to Texas. thankfully joey brackets is terrible at predicting these things.

Correct. Missouri shouldn’t be hand gifted a prime location as a 7.

Lunardi has always been great at predicting the seeds but terrible at predicting locations.

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

4DDB7EE6-9291-41D1-8456-C596B79CF2AE.thumb.jpeg.dd6f1d0e9a7d167386d8dc8189b864ea.jpeg

apparently andy katz thinks we're just going to play half the teams we've already played this season.

I'd like to pass on this region - at least in this format.

Houston - aq, great matchup vs. Texas

TAMUCC - aq

Arkansas - two projected NBA draft top-10 guard picks

Penn State - playing well recently

SDSU - aq

VCU - aq

Yale - aq

Kentucky - meh, but talented

Providence - meh, not worried

Gonzaga - aq

GCU - aq

Creighton - decent, can shoot well

Illinois - Matthew Mayer Super Bowl game V.2

Texas - aq

Montana State - aq

Edited by MuellerHorn

17 hours ago, KingBobo81 said:

So anybody else planning on going to first weekend games? I have refundable plane tickets to Denver and Birmingham…please for the love of god don’t send us to Des Moines.

I live in Atlanta so I’m going if we land in Birmingham (just over a couple of hours away)….

59 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Correct. Missouri shouldn’t be hand gifted a prime location as a 7.

Mississippi State’s coach felt the same way about us being a 6 in Dallas after we eliminated them TJs freshman year; he probably had a point, at least for a school with a large number of alumni….