Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

29 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Are you regarded? He posted a tweet from a writer that listed Texas as one of 5 finalists. The tweet has a picture of Beard under “My prediction”. Jesus.

This. It isn’t a mystery. Slorch really reading too much in to things. 

57 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Are you regarded? He posted a tweet from a writer that listed Texas as one of 5 finalists. The tweet has a picture of Beard under “My prediction”. Jesus.

27 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

This. It isn’t a mystery. Slorch really reading too much in to things. 

Slorchified!

Just now, Gut Wagon said:

When he's on, he's a monster scoring threat from WAY downtown. Exactly what we've been needing. 

Let’s keep it real, though. He shot 27.4% from BTA on the season. If we’re counting on him to improve the team from the 3 point line we’re looking in the wrong direction, IMO. 

What he does well is attack the basket off the dribble, have excellent floor vision, and is an elite on and off the ball defender (albeit at 6’, which may or may not be an issue with all the switching Texas does). It’s a huge get. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Let’s keep it real, though. He shot 27.4% from BTA on the season. If we’re counting on him to improve the team from the 3 point line we’re looking in the wrong direction, IMO. 

What he does well is attack the basket off the dribble, have excellent floor vision, and is an elite on and off the ball defender (albeit at 6’, which may or may not be an issue with all the switching Texas does). It’s a huge get. 

Yeah, thus my "when he's on" qualifier. Under the brightest lights he looked great to me, so that's a good bit of what I'm pinning my hopes on. I assume the rest of his solid game will be there even he isn't feeling it. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Even a fucking picture of Beard triggers him. 

I asked a question. The picture still doesn’t make sense.

nobody is fucking triggered. Lol

36 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Usually a kids biggest improvement is after his freshman year and into his soph year. Let's see what happens with is 3 point shooting next season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Usually a kids biggest improvement is after his freshman year and into his soph year. Let's see what happens with is 3 point shooting next season.

I'm not writing him off as a 3 point shooter. I'm just saying that's not where the expectations should be as to where he improves the team. TJ Ford shot similarly from the 3 point line. I'm not kicking him out of our basketball bed for eating crackers. He's just not coming in as a 3 point shooter. More realistic to think Dylan Disu shows his 2020-2021 3 point shooting form and hits for 37% of his shots after a full year of workouts and a completely healed knee.

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

What’s his FT%?  Prevailing thought seems to be that’s more predictive than 3 pt % when projecting for future years. 

It was a little over 68%, so nothing to get excited about. He's not a shooter. That's not actually his strength. Not saying he can't be, because players develop skills they previously never had all the time. If someone tried to tell me PJ Tucker would make it in the NBA as a 3 point shooter back in college I would have told them to get their head examined. 

I'm just saying the expectation going into the season shouldn't be he's going to be lights out from BTA. That's not his game. He brings plenty of other things to the table which makes him an invaluable addition. It makes sense to me to focus on those, which we know he's going to demonstrate, rather than even average 3 point shooting, which he hasn't shown. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

He could move up to 33 or 34% BTA.  Would not shock me.

Need Carr, Rice, and Disu to be our main three point shooters.  And Cunningham on a limited basis.

Disu returning to form could be the key to our season.  If healthy, he could be a stud.

It cracks me up to think of Disu as a 3 pt guy.  OK.

Outside of the three young bucks, who may or may not be ready to go come November, this team is deep, if not particularly big.  I know Beard's cool with that.  It still bends my brain, given where much of our talent has been in the last decade.

yes, the athleticism this year will be in stark contrast to what we saw last year. 

also, while we could use another shooter and another big, i'd rather take the shooter if i had to choose. if we could sign a guy who can play 20-25 minutes and really knock down threes then i think we have as complete a team as we've had since ~2011. certainly since 2015. 

19 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Glad he chose Texas, but disappointed he left ISU after one season. Wasn't like he spent the year on the bench/in the doghouse. 

Sincere condolences to @Al_4_ISU. Just a different era, different ethic.

It's what was bound to happen the moment the Supreme Court depantsed the NCAA on NIL. All the debates on NIL and paying players over the past decade plus, this is what I've always maintained. I'm just glad Texas is on this side of the equation thanks to a lot of people putting in a lot of work to make it happen. Having the NCAA institute the transfer portal to avoid litigation on that front has obviously been a key component as well. 

Universities have to figure out a way to come up with a significant payroll for their student athletes, or simply not be on the same playing field as schools who do. It's the biggest reason why Texas left for the SEC. Too many programs in the Big 12 - and ISU is one of them - who need to be worried about managing the costs of their athletic department, and so their priorities with how the sport is overseen end up being diametrically opposed to UT. They kowtow to the big money programs in many ways to keep them in the fold, but we're quickly coming to a juncture where schools will be forced to make very conscious choices about how much they want to emphasize winning in terms of resources in college athletics. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

yes, the athleticism this year will be in stark contrast to what we saw last year. 

also, while we could use another shooter and another big, i'd rather take the shooter if i had to choose. if we could sign a guy who can play 20-25 minutes and really knock down threes then i think we have as complete a team as we've had since ~2011. certainly since 2015. 

And that man’s name?  Albert Einstein.  I mean, Brandy Perryman. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

Is Hunter a guy we might get for more than one year?

Maybe not. I’m sure he has aspirations to leave for the NBA as soon as possible. @Rickylovesweed just posted a Twitter post on the recruiting board comparing Hunter’s freshman stats to Chris Paul’s. It’s not an exact fit because Paul was a much better shooter, but Hunter has that same kind of athleticism and intensity on defense, and they’re both 6’. 

But I didn’t think we’d get Bishop/Carr/Allen for another year, either. One thing I do know for certain is that Beard doesn’t worry about it. He’s going to take things year by year, with an understanding and confidence he can build a successful roster each year. Frankly, it wouldn’t be a bad thing if Hunter got drafted in the first round next season. Beard having success in sending guys to the NBA out of Texas would be a boon to recruiting. Both high school and the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

There's no deadline for international players is there? 

If Texas is looking at adding to the roster just go find a random European overseas that can shoot. 

They have to be able to switch on defense, be able to get a visa, and get accepted by Texas. Not saying none of that can occur, but it’s harder than waving a wand. Most Europeans who come over to play college ball have it in the works for months, sometimes years, before it transpires. It’s not the most seamless process. Not to mention they have to want to come over. Europe has a really good development track for their young talent. 

I’d love to see Texas bring over a really good overseas player, though. Barnes and Penders both had some success there, and I know that was one of Beard’s goals. Just hasn’t happened, yet. 

53 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Roster is fully 10 deep assuming Disu comes back.  Might be nice to add an 11th guy who can play, either an Avery Benson type, a strict 3 pt shooter, or a shot blocker.  But either way this roster is stacked.  Beard needs to make hay.

What does making hay mean to you?

52 minutes ago, Blotto said:

This roster also has no proven outside shooting and a concerning  lack of size. They can still win a lot of games, but as the tourny is all about matchups, thats a recipe for a possible early exit as well. 

Beard is one of the best tourney coaches around, and a lack of size has never been a problem before. it's a function of recruiting players who can switch and defend essentially any position, which, when combined with Beard's slow, methodical tempo + guards who don't turn the ball over, has consistently led to tourney success. that's why i said on the last page that i'd rather add a shooter to round out this roster than a big man- we need the shooting a lot more than we need the size. and remember, once we get to the tourney, our top 7 guys will play 90% of our competitive minutes. assuming everyone was healthy, there would be more tourney minutes available for a shooter than another big. 

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Beard is one of the best tourney coaches around, and a lack of size has never been a problem before. it's a function of recruiting players who can switch and defend essentially any position, which, when combined with Beard's slow, methodical tempo + guards who don't turn the ball over, has consistently led to tourney success. that's why i said on the last page that i'd rather add a shooter to round out this roster than a big man- we need the shooting a lot more than we need the size. and remember, once we get to the tourney, our top 7 guys will play 90% of our competitive minutes. assuming everyone was healthy, there would be more tourney minutes available for a shooter than another big. 

I dont disagree, my comment was really in response to how deep and talented our team is. Its a talented team, but not a complete team. If we dont have shooting AND we dont have size, it makes us susceptible to early round exits. But I'll worry about that in October once we know how the roster finally shook out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Frankly, a 6’9 guy who can shoot 3s at a 35%+ clip, defend the post and be able to switch, and can play right away would be ideal. Go find him for me, please, thanks. They grow on trees, don’t they?

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Frankly, a 6’9 guy who can shoot 3s at a 35%+ clip, defend the post and be able to switch, and can play right away would be ideal. Go find him for me, please, thanks. They grow on trees, don’t they?

Aren’t all those guys in the NBA? 

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Beard is one of the best tourney coaches around, and a lack of size has never been a problem before. it's a function of recruiting players who can switch and defend essentially any position, which, when combined with Beard's slow, methodical tempo + guards who don't turn the ball over, has consistently led to tourney success. that's why i said on the last page that i'd rather add a shooter to round out this roster than a big man - we need the shooting a lot more than we need the size. and remember, once we get to the tourney, our top 7 guys will play 90% of our competitive minutes. assuming everyone was healthy, there would be more tourney minutes available for a shooter than another big. 

What was the issue against Purdue (other than the massive foul differential)?

I do agree with prioritizing shooting.