Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

21 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Mo Bamba and Myles Turner shown on the sidelines on the twitter feed, too. 

So many of the top NBA players don't really have a college affiliation. It's so special to have Durant associated with our program. 

Jalen Green may be next through his little "bro." We had a really good playoff team on the sideline for the Alabama game.

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Nice  🤘

This is with all the walk-ons. 

841967688_Screenshot_20220916-1856372.png.f129842315f26e20b3dd700efc646136.png

How jaw dropping of an experience must that be? Kid in the middle - Preston Clark - was playing at Westlake 6 months ago with zero D1 offers. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/16/2022 at 7:00 PM, ztejas said:

This is with all the walk-ons. 

841967688_Screenshot_20220916-1856372.png.f129842315f26e20b3dd700efc646136.png

How jaw dropping of an experience must that be? Kid in the middle - Preston Clark - was playing at Westlake 6 months ago with zero D1 offers. 

KD: “first, set up a bunch of alternate twitter accounts”

I was fading a bit on my KD love but then I saw him repping the university not just with the men’s but with the women’s Bball program - meeting with players and future recruits. He did not have to do that and I know how much that meant to the young ladies. KD/UT for life.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

I was fading a bit on my KD love but then I saw him repping the university not just with the men’s but with the women’s Bball program - meeting with players and future recruits. He did not have to do that and I know how much that meant to the young ladies. KD/UT for life.

As it turns out, much like a good portion of the people on the planet, KD isn't perfect.  But he's ours.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

KD is a great representative of the University, he's a huge philanthropist who's donated millions of dollars and tons of his time to every city/community he's ever lived in, and he's by far the best basketball player who will ever play at Texas. but then he talks shit to fans on twitter and changes teams in an attempt to win rings and half this fucking board is all, "man FUCK KD, that piece of shit little bitch." i'm glad that @Patrick Bateman named that thread title the way he did, because it was 100% appropriate to do so.

and as if the rampant trashing of KD on these boards weren't stupid and embarrassing enough, every single one of those people would trip over themselves asking for an autograph and a photo if they ever ran into KD. they'd make it their new profile picture, and wouldn't stop bringing it up for weeks. i'm glad those fans had to watch the Shaka Smart era. 

it reminds me of this clip at 3:27:

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

KD is a great representative of the University, he's a huge philanthropist who's donated millions of dollars and tons of his time to every city/community he's ever lived in, and he's by far the best basketball player who will ever play at Texas. but then he talks shit to fans on twitter and changes teams in an attempt to win rings and half this fucking board is all, "man FUCK KD, that piece of shit little bitch." i'm glad that @Patrick Bateman named that thread title the way he did, because it was 100% appropriate to do so.

and as if the rampant trashing of KD on these boards weren't stupid and embarrassing enough, every single one of those people would trip over themselves asking for an autograph and a photo if they ever ran into KD. they'd make it their new profile picture, and wouldn't stop bringing it up for weeks. i'm glad those fans had to watch the Shaka Smart era. 

it reminds me of this clip at 3:27:

I'm not into autographs, so I've never and will never ask for an autograph from someone else. It has no appeal to me. I do remember trying to convince as many people/students as I could (with a lot more snark than seriousness) to go to the exhibition game Durant's year where the team would be signing autographs, "It's going to be worth a lot of money someday! Best basketball player to ever go to UT, now or in the future!" They'd look at the random white dude like I was carrying a bible with Gandalf hair screaming about the impending apocalypse. 

I don't follow the NBA, and I certainly don't follow Durant's twitter or anyone covering it, so I'm completely out of touch with why a Texas fan wouldn't unadulteratedly absolutely be completely and utterly in love with Durant and what he's meant for this program since he's come here. Obviously Texas hasn't exactly been winning national championships because of his presence, but he singlehandedly raises the profile of the program in ways that no one else who went to school somewhere for a year does so. A lot of it is that he embraces his connection with the university through his money, time, and energy. He is up front about it. 

I'm so happy he was inducted into the Hall of Honor. Just further cements his legacy here, and the mutual identification between Texas, Texas basketball, and Kevin Durant. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Big 12 Schedule:

Saturday, December 31
Oklahoma State at Kansas (CBS), 1:00 p.m.
Baylor at Iowa State (ESPN2/U/Big 12 Now), TBA
West Virginia at Kansas State (ESPN2/U/Big 12 Now), TBA
Texas at Oklahoma (ESPN2/U/Big 12 Now), TBA
Texas Tech at TCU (ESPN2/U/Big 12 Now), TBA

Monday, January 2
West Virginia at Oklahoma State (ESPNU), 6:00 p.m. CT/7:00 p.m. ET

Tuesday, January 3
Kansas at Texas Tech (ESPN2), 8:00 p.m.
Kansas State at Texas (LHN), 8:00 p.m.

Wednesday, January 4
Iowa State at Oklahoma (ESPN2/U), 6:00 p.m.
TCU at Baylor (ESPN2/U), 8:00 p.m.

Saturday, January 7
Texas at Oklahoma State (ESPNU), 11:00 a.m.
Iowa State at TCU (ESPNU), 1:00 p.m.
Kansas State at Baylor (Big 12 Now), 5:00 p.m.
Kansas at West Virginia (Big 12 Now), 5:00 p.m. CT/6:00 p.m. ET
Oklahoma at Texas Tech (Big 12 Now), 6:00 p.m.

Tuesday, January 10
Oklahoma State at Kansas State (ESPNU), 6:00 p.m.
Texas Tech at Iowa State (Big 12 Now), 7:00 p.m.
Oklahoma at Kansas (ESPN/2/U), 8:00 p.m.

Wednesday, January 11
Baylor at West Virginia (Big 12 Now), 6:00 p.m. CT/7:00 p.m. ET
TCU at Texas (ESPN2/U), 8:00 p.m.

Saturday, January 14
West Virginia at Oklahoma (ESPN2), 11:00 a.m. CT/Noon ET
Kansas State at TCU (ESPN2/U), 1:00 p.m.
Iowa State at Kansas (Big 12 Now), 3:00 p.m.
Oklahoma State at Baylor (ESPN/2), 5:00 p.m.
Texas Tech at Texas (ESPN), 7:00 p.m.

Tuesday, January 17
Kansas at Kansas State (ESPN/2/U), 6:00 p.m.
Texas at Iowa State (Big 12 Now), 7:00 p.m.
Baylor at Texas Tech (ESPNU), 8:00 p.m.

Wednesday, January 18
TCU at West Virginia (Big 12 Now), 6:00 p.m. CT/7:00 p.m. ET
Oklahoma at Oklahoma State (ESPNU), 8:00 p.m.

Saturday, January 21
TCU at Kansas (CBS), 12:00 p.m.
Texas Tech at Kansas State (ESPN2/U), 1:00 p.m.
Iowa State at Oklahoma State (Big 12 Now), 1:00 p.m.
Baylor at Oklahoma (ESPN/2), 3:00 p.m.
Texas at West Virginia (ESPN/2/U), 5:00 p.m. CT/6:00 p.m. ET

Monday, January 23
Kansas at Baylor (ESPN), 8:00 p.m.

Tuesday, January 24
Oklahoma at TCU (Big 12 Now), 7:00 p.m.
Kansas State at Iowa State (ESPNU), 8:00 p.m.
Oklahoma State at Texas (LHN), 8:00 p.m.

Wednesday, January 25
West Virginia at Texas Tech (ESPN2/U), 6:00 p.m. CT/7:00 p.m. ET

Monday, January 30
Baylor at Texas (ESPN/2), 8:00 p.m.
Iowa State at Texas Tech (ESPN/2), 8:00 p.m.

Tuesday, January 31
Kansas State at Kansas (Big 12 Now), 7:00 p.m.
West Virginia at TCU (ESPNU), 8:00 p.m. CT/9:00 p.m. ET

Wednesday, February 1
Oklahoma State at Oklahoma (ESPN2/U), 8:00 p.m.

Saturday, February 4
Kansas at Iowa State (ESPN/2), 11:00 a.m.
Texas Tech at Baylor (CBS), 12:00 p.m.
TCU at Oklahoma State (Big 12 Now), 1:00 p.m.
Texas at Kansas State (ESPN/2/U), 3:00 p.m.
Oklahoma at West Virginia (ESPN2/U), 7:00 p.m. CT/8:00 p.m. ET

Monday, February 6
Texas at Kansas (ESPN), 8:00 p.m.

Tuesday, February 7
TCU at Kansas State (ESPNU), 8:00 p.m.

Wednesday, February 8
Iowa State at West Virginia (ESPN2/U), 6:00 p.m. CT/7:00 p.m. ET
Texas Tech at Oklahoma State (Big 12 Now), 7:00 p.m.
Oklahoma at Baylor (ESPN2/U), 8:00 p.m.

Saturday, February 11
West Virginia at Texas (ESPN/2/U), 11:00 a.m. CT/Noon ET
Kansas at Oklahoma (CBS), Noon
Baylor at TCU (ESPN/2), 3:00 p.m.
Oklahoma State at Iowa State (ESPN2/U), 5:00 p.m.
Kansas State at Texas Tech (Big 12 Now), 6:00 p.m.

Monday, February 13
Texas at Texas Tech (ESPN/2), 8:00 p.m.
West Virginia at Baylor (ESPN/2), 8:00 p.m.

Tuesday, February 14
Kansas State at Oklahoma (ESPNU), 8:00 p.m.
Kansas at Oklahoma State (ESPN/2), 8:00 p.m.

Wednesday, February 15
TCU at Iowa State (ESPN2/U), 8:00 p.m.

Saturday, February 18
Texas Tech at West Virginia (ESPN/2/U), 11:00 a.m. CT/Noon ET
Oklahoma at Texas (ESPN/2), 1:00 p.m.
Oklahoma State at TCU (Big 12 Now), 1:00 p.m.
Baylor at Kansas (ESPN), 3:00 p.m.
Iowa State at Kansas State (ESPN2/U), 5:00 p.m.

Monday, February 20
Oklahoma State at West Virginia (ESPN2), 6:00 p.m. CT/7:00 p.m. ET
Kansas at TCU (ESPN), 8:00 p.m.

Tuesday, February 21
Baylor at Kansas State (ESPN/2/U), 6:00 p.m.
Texas Tech at Oklahoma (ESPN/2), 8:00 p.m.
Iowa State at Texas (LHN), 8:00 p.m.

Saturday, February 25
Oklahoma at Iowa State (ESPN2/U), 11:00 a.m.
TCU at Texas Tech (ESPN/2/U), 11:00 a.m.
Kansas State at Oklahoma State (ESPNU), 1:00 p.m.
Texas at Baylor (ESPN/2), 1:00 p.m.
West Virginia at Kansas (ESPN/2), 3:00 p.m.

Monday, February 27
Baylor at Oklahoma State (ESPN/2), 8:00 p.m.
West Virginia at Iowa State (ESPN/2), 8:00 p.m. CT/9:00 p.m. ET

Tuesday, February 28
Texas Tech at Kansas (ESPN/2/U), 8:00 p.m.

Wednesday, March 1
Oklahoma at Kansas State (Big 12 Now), 7:00 p.m.
Texas at TCU (ESPN2/U), 8:00 p.m.

Saturday, March 4
Iowa State at Baylor (ESPN/2), 11 a.m./1 p.m.
Kansas at Texas (ESPN/2), 11 a.m./1/3 p.m.
Kansas State at West Virginia (Big 12 Now), 1:00 p.m. CT/2:00 p.m. ET
TCU at Oklahoma (Big 12 Now), 2:00 p.m.
Oklahoma State at Texas Tech (ESPN2), 5:00 p.m.

Wednesday-Saturday, March 8-11
Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship
T-Mobile Center, Kansas City, Mo.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, BarthHollamew said:

Was really hoping to see a true center or another big bodied power forward on the roster this year to be that eraser in the middle of the defense.  Jericho Simms was what this team was missing last year.  It’s a shame he didn’t stay one more year.  

you're not going to see that under Beard. he wants guys who can guard 4-5 positions because it pays dividends come tourney time. 

Still cracks me up that we're going to Edinburg (my mom's hometown) to play a team from Flagstaff, AZ.  So that later that week we can play a team from Edinburg here in Austin, but not at our shiny, new arena.  All that to say, 'dis gonna be a fun ass fucking season...

4 minutes ago, BarthHollamew said:

What I saw last year was a team with two Bigs lean on us and bounce us from the tourney.  

Beard could be here 30 years and we wont face another team like that Purdue team. jaden ivey + a 7'4" eraser + a 6'9" Draymond Green clone. and we still were extremely competitive despite having the shortest, slowest, least athletic, poorest shooting team we will ever have. that purdue game was a testament to this philosophy giving teams trouble in the tourney. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Beard could be here 30 years and we wont face another team like that Purdue team. jaden ivey + a 7'4" eraser + a 6'9" Draymond Green clone. and we still were extremely competitive despite having the shortest, slowest, least athletic, poorest shooting team we will ever have. that purdue game was a testament to this philosophy giving teams trouble in the tourney. 

Well, I love your positivity.  I’m on board.  Can’t wait to see this year’s version.  

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

Not to mention an officiating "gameplan" that heavily benefited Purdue's interior depth versus Texas'.

1 hour ago, BarthHollamew said:

Well, I love your positivity.  I’m on board.  Can’t wait to see this year’s version.  

i can't either. the difference in athleticism is going to be so stark, and i'm really interested in seeing how that pays dividends. Hunter, Mitchell, and Morris joining our perimeter attack will be a crazy upgrade athletically from last year. 

On 9/23/2022 at 12:39 PM, Red Five said:

I hope there isn't too much of a conflict when both our basketball and football teams are playing on December 31st. 

I'm kinda starting to doubt our football team is in the College Football Playoffs, call me crazy  

There's a real good chance, however, that we nab the #6 bowl slot in the Big XII and get to play in the Guaranteedrate.com Bowl in Phoenix on the 27th after we host TX A&M-Commerce in basketball earlier that afternoon.  And wouldn't that be the fucking tits mcgee for all-time great UT sports double-headers?  

I honestly think Coach Beard could win more football games this season than Sark.  Really looking forward to March 4th with Kansas coming to Moody to close out the regular season.  There's talk of them demolishing the Erwin Center that same day.

Texas plays in 3 Big Mondays. Against Baylor in Moody. Versus KU in Lawrence. And at United Arena facing Tech. 

I'm going to miss Big Mondays a bit in the SEC. 

To further validate @shadow_operative's point about this team's increased athleticism, it's amazing how often they're highlighting dunks on the team's twitter account this offseason. 

One thing I'm not going to miss? Being Tech's Super Bowl. No offense to our resident Tech fans, all of whom I like. Including slorch. Give me the SEC without all the instate goobly gooberness. What they call a rivalry I've always felt was another game on the schedule. It'll be the same this year in volleyball, which I follow pretty seriously. Texas will be their one sellout because it's Texas and the Red Raider fans will lose their collective minds. Same thing with TCU and Baylor. Houston, too, when they get added. I'm ready to piss off a different group of fans with our inherent arrogance and watch the A&M fans fall all over themselves saying, "See? See? See what we have to put up with?"

Also, keep Bishop and Disu in bubble wrap. I wish we had one more warm body 6'9 or taller on the roster. I do like this team, though. 

I, too, will miss Big Mondays.  Those are such high profile events on ESPN. 

But seriously, I don't want to play Tech after we leave.  Or Baylor, or TCU, or Houston.  No reason for us to continue to give them what they want (high profile, big $$ matchups against us they can use to go full hate boner) - they're such lose/lose for Texas. 

For Baylor and Tech, we kept you in a P5 conference for way too long.  You claim you don't need us? No non-conference games then.

TCU? UH?  No thanks. I'd rather be scheduling non-conf matchups against Kansas, Iowa State, OK State, Duke, UNC, Michigan, UCLA, Arizona, etc. and throw some bones to schools like UTEP, SMU, UTSA, SFA, UNT

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

15 hours ago, Js1 said:

I, too, will miss Big Mondays.  Those are such high profile events on ESPN. 

But seriously, I don't want to play Tech after we leave.  Or Baylor, or TCU, or Houston.  No reason for us to continue to give them what they want (high profile, big $$ matchups against us they can use to go full hate boner) - they're such lose/lose for Texas. 

For Baylor and Tech, we kept you in a P5 conference for way too long.  You claim you don't need us? No non-conference games then.

TCU? UH?  No thanks. I'd rather be scheduling non-conf matchups against Kansas, Iowa State, OK State, Duke, UNC, Michigan, UCLA, Arizona, etc. and throw some bones to schools like UTEP, SMU, UTSA, SFA, UNT

Tech hates everybody. 
Texas Tech: "Fans are passionate and angry. Great combination for a home environment, not-so-great experience as a visitor. The most underrated venue in college basketball." 
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-which-arenas-boast-the-best-home-court-environments-in-college-basketball/

13 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Tech hates everybody. 
Texas Tech: "Fans are passionate and angry. Great combination for a home environment, not-so-great experience as a visitor. The most underrated venue in college basketball." 
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-which-arenas-boast-the-best-home-court-environments-in-college-basketball/

Kinda. It's being a little silly to respond to Tech fans hate Texas with Tech fans hate everybody. They don't sell out their football stadium for everyone. They don't rush the field when they beat anyone. They don't have a former coach being hired away with everyone. They don't have a bitterness about being left behind in the Big 12 towards everyone. It's a little special.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Kinda. It's being a little silly to respond to Tech fans hate Texas with Tech fans hate everybody. They don't sell out their football stadium for everyone. They don't rush the field when they beat anyone. They don't have a former coach being hired away with everyone. They don't have a bitterness about being left behind in the Big 12 towards everyone. It's a little special.

Sure they do. They rushed the field just two weeks ago against freaking Houston and will probably do it again when they win their next home game. Since the still inexplicable firing of Leach, wins have been hard to come by in Lubbock. They”ll continue to harass every conference opponent in BB. One of the Baylor stars says he feeds off the hate and the environment. Tech is easy to hate because when they’re good, their fans can be brutal. Was at the thrilling 2003 win over Leach in Austin. Chance Monk was crying with joy on the field afterwards. I don’t get pretending that Tech hasn’t been occasionally consequential in our athletic fortunes. 

4 hours ago, Satchel said:

Sure they do. They rushed the field just two weeks ago against freaking Houston and will probably do it again when they win their next home game. Since the still inexplicable firing of Leach, wins have been hard to come by in Lubbock. They”ll continue to harass every conference opponent in BB. One of the Baylor stars says he feeds off the hate and the environment. Tech is easy to hate because when they’re good, their fans can be brutal. Was at the thrilling 2003 win over Leach in Austin. Chance Monk was crying with joy on the field afterwards. I don’t get pretending that Tech hasn’t been occasionally consequential in our athletic fortunes. 

I don't know what to tell you. They're not consequential to me. Well, that loss in 2008 was very consequential, but that doesn't make me think of the series with fondness. There's a lot of shitty losses to TCU, UH, and Baylor, that don't make me think of any of those schools as any more consequential, either.

Chance Mock had lost his starting job to Vince Young but Mack Brown subbed him in for the late scoring drive to win the game. Now he lives in a basement bitter as fuck about his career at Texas. Talking about when he sobbed on the field after a win isn't compelling to me. He probably has the end of that game on permanent playback around his house.

I don't hate Texas Tech. I hate being forced to play them. I look forward to not playing Tech, Baylor, or TCU. I especially look forward to not playing Tech in basketball, because they are going to be butt hurt about Chris Beard until the Sun is a dying ember. I don't blame them for it. I just don't want to be party to it. 

I also want to make it clear that Texas has a lot of the responsibility for all these dysfunctional dynamics, which we're really going to see when Texas goes to the SEC. A lot of it has to do with in state schools and everything that goes along with that. But a lot of it has to do with the inherent arrogance of Texas. We're an easy institution and fan base to develop a certain distaste for. It just ends up being more fun to beat Texas than other programs. That was never more apparent to me than the field goal tearing down tour of 1997, Mackovic's last season, but it's not like it's changed. 

I'm ready for a different set of schools to hate Texas, and for it to have nothing to do with instate dynamics. We'll have a good start with Arkansas. Wait until our players head to Fayetteville for their first time and they have 20k screaming Pig Sooie's greet them in Bud Walton Arena, because those inbreds have had Texas Longhorn hate passed down generation to generation even when we don't play them. They're licking their chops at the first matchup with the Longhorns in basketball, especially with Musselman in charge there. 

In any case, I'll be happy to see Tech in the rear view mirror. I don't wish them ill. I really like Mark Adams and hope he's very successful at Tech. I just don't want to play them any more except in the tournament. 

Texas Longhorns hoops: First practice in the books

Gerry Hamilton•about 1 hour

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

Tyrese Hunter / Player submitted photo (Texas MBB Athletics)

The Texas Longhorns held the first practice of the 2022-23 season on Monday. Texas enters the season ranked among the top 15 teams in the country in way-too-early season polls with a new mixture of talent that will bring more explosive athleticism and versatility to the backcourt and forward positions.

[Get ONE MONTH of Inside Texas Plus for $1!]

The first game of the 2022-23 season is just 42 days away. The Longhorns in year two under Chris Beard and staff are a two seed in the September 6 release of ESPN’s Bracketology. 

The Longhorns will have a much more explosive and deeper backcourt this season due to the transfer of point guard Tyrese Hunter and versatile 6-foot-4 guard Sir’Jabari Rice, along with freshmen Arterio Morris and Rowan Brumbaugh. Hunter, Rice and Marcus Carr were all starting point guards on teams that advanced to the NCAA Round of 32 or better a season ago.

Texas 2022-23 schedule

The Longhorns begin the regular season November 7 with a home game against UTEP, the official basketball opening of the Moody Center.

Texas has a home schedule that includes games against Gonzaga on November 16 and Creighton on December 1.

The Longhorns schedule includes 11 teams that are in the latest ESPN Bracketology. Those are Gonzaga (1 seed), Tennessee (2 seed), Creighton (4 seed), Illinois (6 seed), Stanford (play in) , Baylor (2 seed), Kansas (2 seed), TCU (4 seed), Texas Tech (6 seed), Oklahoma State (9 seed) and Oklahoma (11 seed). That means more than half of the Longhorns regular season games are against projected 2023 NCAA Tournament teams.

Texas Longhorns 2022-23 roster

Tyrese Hunter, PG, 6-1, sophomore (11.0 points, 3.5 rebounds, 4.9 assists at Iowa State in 2021-22)

Marcus Carr, CG, 6-2, super senior (11.4 points, 1.9 rebounds, 3.4 assists in 2021-22)

Sir’Jabari Rice, CG, 6-4, super senior (11.9 points, 5.1 rebounds, 3.1 assists at New Mexico State in 2021-22)

Rowan Brumbaugh, PG, 6-4, freshman

Arterio Morris, CG, 6-3, freshman 

Timmy Allen, F, 6-6, super senior (12.1 points, 6.4 rebounds, 2.1 assists in 2021-22)

Dillon Mitchell, F, 6-7.5, freshman

Brock Cunningham, SF, 6-6, senior (2.3 points, 2.3 rebounds, 0.6 assists in 2021-22) 

Alex Anamekwe, PF, 6-6, freshman

Christian Bishop, PF 6-7, super senior (7.0 points, 5.6 rebounds, 0.9 blocks in 2021-22)

Dylan Disu, PF, 6-9, senior (3.7 points, 3.2 rebounds, 0.8 blocks in 2021-22)

Texas Longhorns summer superlatives

*Most Improved – Brock Cunningham. To say the senior from Westlake High enjoyed a great summer may be an understatement. Cunningham converted 47.8% from three and 81.3% from the free throw line in limited attempts last season. Those huge gains and newfound confidence have carried over to the summer. Cunningham is in great physical shape, is a more confident player with ball in hand, and is the same heart and soul fearless competitor that is very key for a college team. 

*New look – Marcus Carr. The super senior guard has dropped nearly 15 pounds since last season. And it shows with the ability to play at a higher clip for longer stretches. Carr has completely bought into his role as off the ball playmaker as well. That doesn’t mean he won’t have ball in hand and get Texas into the offense, either. There are a lot of interchangeable parts on offense with Hunter, Carr and Rice are on the court together. 

*Most undervalued – Sir’Jabari Rice. Rice has flown under the radar since transferring from New Mexico State. The 6-foot-4.5 long-armed guard was the starting point guard on the Aggies’ Round of 32 team last season. He played off the ball prior to last season. Rice will be the best defender on the team. He’s an upgrade over Courtney Ramey and Andrew Jones off the bounce from the wing. He’s also an upgrade as a rebounder. Inside Texas was told when Rice transferred to Texas that “he will play professionally overseas.” IT was told earlier this summer that “he may even be a little better than that.”. Rice is seen as a player that will have the opportunity to make an NBA roster one day. Rice averaged 11.9 points, 5.1 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 2021-22 for NMSU. He shot 35.7% from three in three years as a starter in Las Cruces.

*Gym rats – Rowan Brumbaugh and Christian Bishop. One of the aspects of teams with good chemistry is they tend to spend a lot of extra time in the gym together. That is seemingly the case with this group. Of course, there are always the ultimate “gym rats.” And the Longhorns certainly have one. If the lights are on or the weight room is open, Rowan Brumbaugh will be there. Extra shots or and extra lift, the near 6-foot-4 point guard is always around. Bishop is one of the best drivers of the ball from the power forward position in the college game. And one of the better athletes overall. Bishop has put in plenty of extra time working on his perimeter game since the end of the season. It’s easy to see he has designs on making his last season in college one that left nothing in the tank. 

*Mr. Consistency – Timmy Allen. Allen enters his final season in college basketball as a consistent, very competitive forward. He’s a consistent double figures scorer, and grabbed six or more rebounds in 23 of 34 games last season. His day-to-day effort is as consistent as they come. He competes on a very high percentage of possessions on both ends of the court. Getting a taste of being on a winning team last season has only pushed him more in the off season. 

*NBA draft upside – Dillon Mitchell. Mitchell has been appearing in the 2023 NBA mock drafts as a lottery pick since arriving in Austin. The 6-foot-7.5 forward definitely looks the part athletically, and with his hoops IQ. Mitchell has the opportunity to be a lottery pick after one season without being a high-end scorer. He will score his share, but his best offensive basketball is way out in front of him. The mid-range game is under valued, but it’s the ability to play well above the rim and with an advanced feel in the half court that will keep him in the lottery discussion. Tyrese Hunter is also appearing on 2023 NBA mock drafts in the late first, and early second round. 

*Another quality free-throw shooting team – Texas shot 74.9% from the foul line last season. That was the best for a Texas team in many years. The seven players on the roster that played college basketball last season converted 73.6% (427 of 580). With continued improvement by Tyrese Hunter and Christian Bishop, that percentage could approach last season. Of course, freshmen Dillon Mitchell and Arterio Morris factor in heavily in that team percentage as well.

Texas Longhorns basketball staff

Chris Beard, Head Coach

Rodney Terry, Associate head coach

Brandon Chappell, Assistant coach

Bob Donewald Jr., Assistant coach

Chris Ogden, Managing Director

John Reilly, Strength and Conditioning

Casey Perrin, Director of operations

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Thank you so much for the post, BurntOrange&White. Gerry's the best. I always feel fortunate when we have him covering UT basketball. No one else has anything remotely close to his connections to the program, nor his insight. 

Probably the thing that jumps out at me the most is no mention of Disu. I'm not trying to run around like Chicken Little, but I would have really liked a blurb in there talking about how well he's doing. 

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

*NBA draft upside – Dillon Mitchell. Mitchell has been appearing in the 2023 NBA mock drafts as a lottery pick since arriving in Austin. The 6-foot-7.5 forward definitely looks the part athletically, and with his hoops IQ.

Two decimal points required, or I cant take this BS seriously

On 9/23/2022 at 8:51 PM, BarthHollamew said:

Jericho Simms was what this team was missing last year.  It’s a shame he didn’t stay one more year.  

Meh. He was at Texas for 4 seasons and was a rotation NBA player as a rookie. Staying would have been a poor decision for his future. 

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

tech hates texas more than they hate all other athletic programs combined. this is not up for debate. 

It's mainly a hate of convenience, if that makes sense, for most fans. You're just the most hateable kid on the block for most fans. It is what it is. I mean, we built a fucking statue with a horse's ass pointed at college station. Nothing else will really approach the hatred aggy drew up there. You kind of have been acting as a taped-on replacement for them for most fans.

BUT, if we're being honest (at least for me, and I'm sure I'm not alone) it's a poor replacement because Texas players/fans aren't freakish members of some bizzare goatfucker pseudo Nazi cult that continuously tries to gaslight the rest of the nation into believing they're not from the fucking moon so, in reality, there's no good reason for the hate other than finding a reason to get sportsmad at someone to get your blood running or something.

I've never really participated in it because I straight up don't care, but I guess I understand it at some level.

As far as the Tech message boards go, I generally see a lot more hate for Baylor/TCU/Houston than I see for Texas and that isn't going away anytime soon. You'll move on and they'll still be there to hate and that will probably be adequate for most people.

All that said, you'll never see me denying that some of our fans are psychos and trust me, if you grew up in West TX you'd probably be a little crazy too.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I don't know what to tell you. They're not consequential to me. Well, that loss in 2008 was very consequential, but that doesn't make me think of the series with fondness. There's a lot of shitty losses to TCU, UH, and Baylor, that don't make me think of any of those schools as any more consequential, either.

Chance Mock had lost his starting job to Vince Young but Mack Brown subbed him in for the late scoring drive to win the game. Now he lives in a basement bitter as fuck about his career at Texas. Talking about when he sobbed on the field after a win isn't compelling to me. He probably has the end of that game on permanent playback around his house.

I don't hate Texas Tech. I hate being forced to play them. I look forward to not playing Tech, Baylor, or TCU. I especially look forward to not playing Tech in basketball, because they are going to be butt hurt about Chris Beard until the Sun is a dying ember. I don't blame them for it. I just don't want to be party to it. 

I also want to make it clear that Texas has a lot of the responsibility for all these dysfunctional dynamics, which we're really going to see when Texas goes to the SEC. A lot of it has to do with in state schools and everything that goes along with that. But a lot of it has to do with the inherent arrogance of Texas. We're an easy institution and fan base to develop a certain distaste for. It just ends up being more fun to beat Texas than other programs. That was never more apparent to me than the field goal tearing down tour of 1997, Mackovic's last season, but it's not like it's changed. 

I'm ready for a different set of schools to hate Texas, and for it to have nothing to do with instate dynamics. We'll have a good start with Arkansas. Wait until our players head to Fayetteville for their first time and they have 20k screaming Pig Sooie's greet them in Bud Walton Arena, because those inbreds have had Texas Longhorn hate passed down generation to generation even when we don't play them. They're licking their chops at the first matchup with the Longhorns in basketball, especially with Musselman in charge there. 

In any case, I'll be happy to see Tech in the rear view mirror. I don't wish them ill. I really like Mark Adams and hope he's very successful at Tech. I just don't want to play them any more except in the tournament. 

I think the separation will be a win-win for both schools.

31 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I think the separation will be a win-win for both schools.

I don't care one way or another if it's a win for Texas Tech. I don't have anything against them, but I don't have a rooting interest in their success.

The college sports landscape has changed in a lot of "get off my lawn" ways for me over the last 40 years, and at no time has the acceleration been more rapid then the last few seasons. My priority as a Texas fan is that Texas is best situated to compete at the highest level in whatever division they choose to be in. There's a huge part of me that would be satisfied in following Texas as a Div II type school with much fewer scholarships and resources devoted to athletics, but that's unrealistic. But if we're going to compete at the FBS/Div I level, let's do it to the best of our ability. That's no longer going to be possible in the Big 12. That conference can still ultimately position themselves as the third best conference, with a lineup of solid programs that the B1G and SEC don't want. But that's its highest realistic aspiration. Texas Tech with their recent investments in facilities and NIL is already showing a serious commitment to being among the best of that group. So maybe you're right, in that it works out great for them. Wouldn't bother me a bit.

But in the professionalization of college sports, the B1G and the SEC are going to have the inside track in writing the rules by which all the other participants abide by. They'll have way more resources at their disposal. And they'll end up with a more united voice in the sense the governor/speed limiter of smaller programs with fewer resources holding back the spending of resources by the bigger programs will no longer exist, or will be so muted as to be immaterial. 

I can't say I'm 100% thrilled with this brave new world, but I am excited about UT's potential place in it. Especially given the amount of talent and effort being invested in NIL on behalf of the program. 

• Hook 'Em 1