Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

9 hours ago, HookEm said:

Bishop coming back is HUGE. He was probably my favorite player this year. And he got consistently better throughout the year.  Add in a fully healthy Disu plus Brock and we are about set for bigs.

I think we need some beef. Disu looked uncomfortable with his body 50% of the time but the talent was obvious - that being said he's still a skinny dude. A beefy 6'9" guy can push Edey off the block or help to double Williams in that game - watching Brock try to get leverage on Williams when he was getting backed down from the elbow was sad. Bishop only qualified as a physical post defender when the refs would let him - maybe he works on that. I think T Mitchell had a lot of potential as a skrong guy but that bridge is burned. Give me a homeless man's DaJuan Blair to grab boards, be fat, make layups, and not be run off the floor against perimeter fours. Easier said than done I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

I think we need some beef. Disu looked uncomfortable with his body 50% of the time but the talent was obvious - that being said he's still a skinny dude. A beefy 6'9" guy can push Edey off the block or help to double Williams in that game - watching Brock try to get leverage on Williams when he was getting backed down from the elbow was sad. Bishop only qualified as a physical post defender when the refs would let him - maybe he works on that. I think T Mitchell had a lot of potential as a skrong guy but that bridge is burned. Give me a homeless man's DaJuan Blair to grab boards, be fat, make layups, and not be run off the floor against perimeter fours. Easier said than done I guess.

Huh? Disu weighs more and was noticeably stronger than Mitchell. Mitchell was a poor post defender. Disu is/was clearly better at that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Since Beard wants a positionless roster, it’s more about aggregating talent.  I think 1-15, these are the spots he has filled so far:

1. Mitchell 

2. Morris

4. Bishop

5. Disu

6. Askew

7. Cunningham 

10. Brumbaugh

11. Perryman

12. Bott 

So he needs one more “really good” player plus 2 “capable” guys, then walk-ons to get to whatever number of bodies he wants.  I think Allen, Carr, Jones, or Ramey coming back would qualify as the “really good” spot.  Allen or Ramey would be my choice as I think they’d be the best complements to the rest of the roster.

Things are looking really good for Texas to have an even better roster next season.

Edited by Snake Diggity

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Huh? Disu weighs more and was noticeably stronger than Mitchell. Mitchell was a poor post defender. Disu is/was clearly better at that. 

I guess what sticks out in my mind is how much Mitchell just abused Mitch Lightfoot in the first Kansas game on simple drop steps, and Disu looked like he was going to crumple into pieces half the time.

Jeff Howe on Timmy Allen

I've been told by a source that it's definitely not a foregone conclusion that Timmy Allen, who led Texas in scoring (12.1 points per game) and rebounding (6.4 per game), is going to leave the Longhorns after one season. According to the source, Allen is seriously considering returning to the Forty Acres for the 2022-23 season.

We'll continue to monitor the situation, but the bottom line here is don't write off Allen as for sure gone.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

oh

Man, I hope we can keep him. I loved what I saw out of him at Vanderbilt. He has to be frustrated with the season, not just in terms of his late start, but how Beard used him (I'm not blaming Beard, btw). 

Well, I've been a broken record about it, but we're going to have a rough time with big men in this system. Doesn't mean Disu is going anywhere. He needs to get his 3 point shot back on track, get some opportunities in the low post, and switch better. He was the best defender against opponents' post players all year. I feel like being able to go a whole summer with workouts, and start up practice with everyone in the fall would do him a lot of good. Probably biased towards wanting him to return, though.

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Other than the JimmyV classic, any other hints on future opponents next season?  Was the Zags a H&H or one game deal?  

What’s the format on JVC next year, four team tourney?   

yeah, we’ll have one non Conf weeknight game for ‘soft opening’. and then host Gonzaga that weekend for the big grand opening.  Hope seton hall returns.  And I do hear big rumblings of a one off neutral site game in Los Angeles or Bay Area.

first thing we’re gonna need is a roster.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

What’s the format on JVC next year, four team tourney?   

yeah, we’ll have one non Conf weeknight game for ‘soft opening’. and then host Gonzaga that weekend for the big grand opening.  Hope seton hall returns.  And I do hear big rumblings of a one off neutral site game in Los Angeles or Bay Area.

first thing we’re gonna need is a roster.  

Seton Hall was a Big 12/Big East Challenge game.

Our sec opponent will likely be played at their place this year too.  I just hope it’s not Kentucky and it’s some place we’ve never been before.  Hope it’s not Arkansas either. I’m hoping it’s @Florida.  If they match it up line by line according to standings (which I dont’ think they do, but not too sure) then we are playing @Arkansas or @aggy

9 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

They were supposed to play at our place during the Covid season but we lost that game when it got canceled.  

No, they're one of the first games in the fall, Catdaddyhorn. I don't think they're the season opener, but I'm pretty sure they're the second game of the season.

https://gozags.com/news/2021/7/30/mens-basketball-gonzaga-and-texas-announce-home-and-home-series.aspx

November 16.

Edited by SL Xpress

53 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

No, they're one of the first games in the fall, Catdaddyhorn. I don't think they're the season opener, but I'm pretty sure they're the second game of the season.

https://gozags.com/news/2021/7/30/mens-basketball-gonzaga-and-texas-announce-home-and-home-series.aspx

November 16.

Maybe canceled is wrong term but we were originally supposed to play them in Austin during Shaka's final season. I can't believe I'm the only one who remembers this.  

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

And we just failed to close on a recruit from El Paso in the 2023 class.  There’s not really a lot of times when El Paso connections are terribly useful, so it’s an unfortunate way to start this stint at UT by failing to deliver either of those guys.

I think Terry had pretty good recruiting results when he was here as an assistant for Barnes, although my memory is that Haith and Springmann brought in the top top guys (like Durant, Aldridge, Gibson, etc.) where we were really recruiting lights out during the prime Barnes era.  

I don’t think we missed on Williams. We picked other guys over him, so it was more of an evaluation ref flag than a recruiting ability red flag. Same goes for taking Mitchell and failing to take an actual PG/thinking Carr could be our PG. 

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Maybe it was crap, but somewhere along the way there was speculation that Williams didn't have the grades to transfer to Texas.

Never knew if this was ever confirmed...

In another thread I mentioned that one of the guys on the "Pretend this is Football" podcast alluded to us not being able to get him for some reason. I figured it was something along these lines, but who knows.  

Via IT

Basketball recruiting

The Texas staff was on the road in DFW Thursday to see signee Arterio Morris, and made several other stops. Those stops included Lake Highlands to see 2024 SG Tre Johnson, who is considered a top-5 prospect nationally in the class. Johnson’s father signed with Baylor out of high school. Rodney Terry was one of the Baylor assistants at the time who recruited Johnson’s father. 

The moment former Port Arthur Memorial power forward Kennth Lofton Jr. hit the portal, Texas was all in. The Louisiana Tech 6-foot-7, 275-pound power forward that averaged 16.5 points, 10 rebounds and 2.8 assists this season will also put his name in the NBA Draft for feedback purposes, but is expected to transfer and play another season or two in college. Texas has some serious ties to Lofton Jr. His cousin is Jamaal Charles, and Lofton gets out to Austin to spend time with Charles multiple times per year. In fact, there is a good chance Lofton will be in Austin very soon, and that will include chatting with the Texas staff. Texas freshman defensive back Jaylon Guilbeau also knows Lofton. Lofton’s father and J’Covan Brown’s father know each other. Texas will have a fight on their hands to land the coveted power forward. The University of Houston is also all in, and is expected to make a substantial NIL push. Lofton is seen as a player that could potentially put Houston over the top to win that elusive National Championship. 

On the Texas team, there is some growing optimism on a couple of players returning. Christian Bishop was the first starter to announce he plans to return. Things seem to be trending more positive with Timmy Allen, as of Thursday.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Via IT

Fertitta will come hard with NIL money. I didn’t think of the advantage of him owning the Rockets in terms of UH basketball recruiting until just now, mostly because Sampson hasn’t tried to stockpile highly recruited players. 

Well, got to put something together that’s competitive at least. Don’t know anything about Lofton’s game, but if he came out of PA Memorial he’s tough. At 6’7 275 that’s a large man right there.

If Allen is leaning towards staying at this point, there’s not a lot to change his mind in a different direction. He has an overseas grind ahead of him for professional basketball. It will still be there a year from now. Anything he can do to improve his 3 point shooting, his handle, and his defense would be good. As a college player he’s a huge contributor just the way he is, but even in Europe it would help him to refine those aspects of his game. I’m interested if anyone other than Bishop or Allen stick around for a COVID year. 

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Maybe it was crap, but somewhere along the way there was speculation that Williams didn't have the grades to transfer to Texas.

Never knew if this was ever confirmed...

Gerry confirmed earlier that Williams to Texas was never going to happen.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Via IT

Gerry also mentioned that Texas reached out to Caleb Ashberry, guard from Texas State. Career .441/.361/.820 shooter.

With the New Mexico State coach likely taking another job, I wonder if Texas could look to bring in Teddy to go with Timmy.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Fertitta will come hard with NIL money. I didn’t think of the advantage of him owning the Rockets in terms of UH basketball recruiting until just now, mostly because Sampson hasn’t tried to stockpile highly recruited players. 

Sampson's bringing in 2 Top 50 kids.

31 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Sampson's bringing in 2 Top 50 kids.

Yeah, he’s changing his recruiting profile with his success. I’m saying I hadn’t thought about it previously. He’ll be a problem for the Big 12 for sure. He’s also going to be tough to recruit against. Tougher than anyone else in the region, including Baylor. Maybe even KU. 

46 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Yeah, he’s changing his recruiting profile with his success. I’m saying I hadn’t thought about it previously. He’ll be a problem for the Big 12 for sure. He’s also going to be tough to recruit against. Tougher than anyone else in the region, including Baylor. Maybe even KU. 

Same thing he did at OU, until he was caught late night texting Damion James. Brought in lower rated guards, built a hard ass culture with them, and then started recruiting the 5 stars. Except now he understands how to run a competent offense system.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Same thing he did at OU, until he was caught late night texting Damion James. Brought in lower rated guards, built a hard ass culture with them, and then started recruiting the 5 stars. Except now he understands how to run a competent offense system.

He also understands how to better hide what he's doing. He has the most nepotism on his staff of anyone in basketball. 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

He also understands how to better hide what he's doing. He has the most nepotism on his staff of anyone in basketball. 

Yep, his entire family is all involved including his former guards White and Price. It's likely his son, Kellen, is next in line at UH, but Kellen has turned into a hell of a developmental guy.

Some good stuff from Gerry Hamilton.

Timmy Allen and Marcus Carr

There has been continued positive feelings in recent days about the return of forward Timmy Allen for one more season. Allen led the Longhorns in scoring (12.1 ppg), rebounds (6.4), steals (1.2) and was second on the team in assists. He earned National Association of Basketball Coaches All-District 8 Second Team honors following the season.

Inside Texas has mentioned that there was a good chance Allen would return for a fifth season of college basketball. Over the weekend, IT was told by two different sources that Marcus Carr is giving some thought to coming back for another season. We are by no means saying he is coming back, to be clear. But there is some thought about it.

Not expected back

Barring a change, guards Courtney Ramey and Andrew Jones are not expected back. Ramey considered not coming back prior to last season with a desire to be more of a primary ball handler. While that is not his strength as a player, that is an area he desires to get better. Should Ramey announce he is not coming back, pro options overseas is the likely route.

Decision to be made

Dylan Disu is one prospect that IT continues to hear is not a lock to be back. The 6-foot-9 junior didn’t have the season anticipated after a long recovery from offseason knee surgery. The Texas staff believes Disu could take a big step to return to prior for next season, should he return.

Top target in the portal

Louisiana Tech power forward Kenneth Lofton Jr. continues to be the top target in the transfer portal. The former state champion at Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial is seen as a difference-making paint scorer the program lacked this season. The 6-foot-7, 275-pound skilled forward with quick feet and a mid-range game averaged 16.5 points and 10.5 rebounds this season for the Bulldogs. He burst onto the national scene after leading the 2021 FIBA U19 Team USA in scoring last summer. He led a team in scoring that included Gonzaga freshman Chet Holmgren, Purdue star guard Jaden Ivey, and other NBA draft prospects.

Lofton Jr. is the cousin of former Texas and NFL running back Jamaal Charles. Lofton Jr. is expected to be in Austin soon to spend time with Charles, and take a closer look at Texas. The Longhorns main competition is expected to be Houston, who covets Lofton as well.

The Texas staff has reached out to more than a dozen players in the portal to make initial contact. Very few will go beyond a first, or second conversation. The staff is looking for the correct fits that are talented enough to play at Texas. This is not a collection of talent this off season.

• Hook 'Em 4

45 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Some good stuff from Gerry Hamilton.

Lofton’s highlights on YouTube posted here look ridiculous. I hope we get him. I hope Disu returns. I don’t blame him for being bummed out. Just wasn’t the season for him he was hoping for it to be. I’d love for Carr to return, too. I know that’s not a universal opinion on this site, but I feel like he improved throughout the year. I didn’t expect him to be as solid on defense as he turned out to be. 

I’ll miss Jones and Ramey. Assuming they’re gone, I’m glad they had this season as their send off. Jones never was amazing on defense, but there were several games he bailed the team out on offense. Ramey should have been in consideration for Big 12 DPOY, and didn’t even make the all big 12 defensive team. But no one from Tech did either. The two best defensive teams in the league. Didn’t even make sense. 

The more players that return the better as far as I’m concerned. Mostly thinking about from a culture standpoint. But Askew, Cunningham, Bishop, and then potentially Allen, Carr and Disu is plenty to work with. Add the 3 freshmen plus Lofton and that’s already looking better with possible portal targets remaining. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What would be the next step for Jones?  I don't have a good sense for pro ball overseas, but it seems like he should be in the conversation given certain Longhorns that have gone that route, or even surprise NBA careers.  (Mo Evans comes to mind.  Very different game but he surprised me when he left, then ultimately ended up bouncing around the league for over a decade.)

34 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Lofton’s highlights on YouTube posted here look ridiculous. I hope we get him. I hope Disu returns. I don’t blame him for being bummed out. Just wasn’t the season for him he was hoping for it to be. I’d love for Carr to return, too. I know that’s not a universal opinion on this site, but I feel like he improved throughout the year. I didn’t expect him to be as solid on defense as he turned out to be. 

I’ll miss Jones and Ramey. Assuming they’re gone, I’m glad they had this season as their send off. Jones never was amazing on defense, but there were several games he bailed the team out on offense. Ramey should have been in consideration for Big 12 DPOY, and didn’t even make the all big 12 defensive team. But no one from Tech did either. The two best defensive teams in the league. Didn’t even make sense. 

The more players that return the better as far as I’m concerned. Mostly thinking about from a culture standpoint. But Askew, Cunningham, Bishop, and then potentially Allen, Carr and Disu is plenty to work with. Add the 3 freshmen plus Lofton and that’s already looking better with possible portal targets remaining. 

Hamilton thinks that Texas is trailing Houston right now for Lofton, and doesn't think Allen, Bishop, and Lofton fit together. Those 3 would cause major spacing issues, especially when you consider that the 3 freshmen aren't necessarily good BTA. Floor spacing is going to be a mess unless they add some shooters from the portal.

i cannot believe it that Disu would leave. Texas is his dream school, he's been wearing burnt orange and cheering for the Longhorns his entire life, he was super bummed to not be offered by Texas coming out of HS. if a kid like that gives up and leaves after one down year then i guess i'm just a dinosaur who does not understand kids these days. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

i cannot believe it that Disu would leave. Texas is his dream school, he's been wearing burnt orange and cheering for the Longhorns his entire life, he was super bummed to not be offered by Texas coming out of HS. if a kid like that gives up and leaves after one down year then i guess i'm just a dinosaur who does not understand kids these days. 

Really makes no sense.  We gave him time to rehab the injury, he got a lot of playing time while getting his legs back and down the stretch once Tre left. Like wtf

Edited by Js1

Dillon Mitchell and Arterio Morris will compete in the 45th annual event on Tuesday night (8 p.m. CT, ESPN).

03.28.2022 | Men's Basketball

Men’s Basketball signees Mitchell and Morris set for McDonald’s All-American Game

CHICAGO — University of Texas Men's Basketball signees Dillon Mitchell and Arterio Morris are two of the 24 players who will compete in the 45th annual McDonald's All-American Game on Tuesday, March 29. The McDonald's All-American Boys Game will be played inside Chicago's Wintrust Arena at 8 p.m. Central and televised by ESPN.

In addition to its coverage of the annual Girls and Boys Games on Tuesday, ESPN2 will air the POWERADE Jam Fest on Monday, March 28 at 6:30 p.m. Central.

Mitchell and Morris will become the 21st and 22nd players in UT program history to play in the McDonald's All-American Game. Mitchell will be on the East roster, while Morris will compete for the West roster in Tuesday's game.

This marks just the fifth time in program history that the Longhorns have had at least two signees named to the prestigious roster in the same year (2004, 2006, 2010, 2016 and 2022).

Mitchell (6-7, 195), a forward from Tampa, Fla., is playing his senior year at Montverde Academy (Montverde, Fla.) under coach Kevin Boyle. He is currently ranked as the No. 7 prospect in the nation by ESPN. Montverde has posted a 20-4 record this season entering the eight-team GEICO National Championship, scheduled for March 31-April 2 (Thursday-Saturday) in Fort Myers, Fla.

Morris (6-3, 175), a guard from Kimball High School (Dallas, Texas) who played under coach Nicke Smith, is currently ranked as the No. 17 prospect in the nation by 247 Sports. Morris averaged 19.4 points and seven rebounds per game in the regular season and led Kimball to a 30-9 overall record and a trip to the class 5A state semifinals. During the playoffs, he averaged 18.6 points, 7.1 rebounds, five assists and 4.2 steals per game and scored a game-high 21 points in the state semifinal loss to Beaumont United.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Dillon Mitchell and Arterio Morris will compete in the 45th annual event on Tuesday night (8 p.m. CT, ESPN).

03.28.2022 | Men's Basketball

Men’s Basketball signees Mitchell and Morris set for McDonald’s All-American Game

CHICAGO — University of Texas Men's Basketball signees Dillon Mitchell and Arterio Morris are two of the 24 players who will compete in the 45th annual McDonald's All-American Game on Tuesday, March 29. The McDonald's All-American Boys Game will be played inside Chicago's Wintrust Arena at 8 p.m. Central and televised by ESPN.

In addition to its coverage of the annual Girls and Boys Games on Tuesday, ESPN2 will air the POWERADE Jam Fest on Monday, March 28 at 6:30 p.m. Central.

Mitchell and Morris will become the 21st and 22nd players in UT program history to play in the McDonald's All-American Game. Mitchell will be on the East roster, while Morris will compete for the West roster in Tuesday's game.

This marks just the fifth time in program history that the Longhorns have had at least two signees named to the prestigious roster in the same year (2004, 2006, 2010, 2016 and 2022).

Mitchell (6-7, 195), a forward from Tampa, Fla., is playing his senior year at Montverde Academy (Montverde, Fla.) under coach Kevin Boyle. He is currently ranked as the No. 7 prospect in the nation by ESPN. Montverde has posted a 20-4 record this season entering the eight-team GEICO National Championship, scheduled for March 31-April 2 (Thursday-Saturday) in Fort Myers, Fla.

Morris (6-3, 175), a guard from Kimball High School (Dallas, Texas) who played under coach Nicke Smith, is currently ranked as the No. 17 prospect in the nation by 247 Sports. Morris averaged 19.4 points and seven rebounds per game in the regular season and led Kimball to a 30-9 overall record and a trip to the class 5A state semifinals. During the playoffs, he averaged 18.6 points, 7.1 rebounds, five assists and 4.2 steals per game and scored a game-high 21 points in the state semifinal loss to Beaumont United.

Bump to Pg 5

Edited by LTtxfan