Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

7 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Morris needs to stop shooting 3s. He needs to go to the hole every other time he has the ball and force the defense into vulnerable situations. He's too athletic to sit on the perimeter and be an observer of the game on the offensive end. 

100% agreed.  He's cat quick.  We need to exploit that.

6 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Morris needs to stop shooting 3s. He needs to go to the hole every other time he has the ball and force the defense into vulnerable situations. He's too athletic to sit on the perimeter and be an observer of the game on the offensive end. 

I guess. His handle isn't super tight. He had a terrible turnover down 2 with 7 mins left trying to be too aggressive with the ball. He can certainly pick his spots better but he should keep shooting. He's just a raw talent in general and is going to do things like take bad 3s or lose the ball in traffic. 

Yeah, Morris is who he is at this point. Feels like he will be relatively quiet 80% of conference games and will randomly drop 12 or 15 in a few.

He has to cut down on the out of control turnovers. His TO rate has to be highest on team considering the minutes he plays.

I do feel for him because he is one of the few players on the team who will truly have to face a tough decision after this season and I’m sure that has weighed on him since the Beard news. Majority of the guys are graduating or were probably coin flips to head to the NBA anyway (Mitchell, Hunter I guess before the last month). I’m sure his mind is in a million places and he is pressing.

3-1 after last night's game

4 games into the first half of the Big 12 schedule.  We really need to win the Tech game on Saturday, @ WV, OSU at home and then the Baylor game at home.  That would put us at 7-2 in the first half, assuming we lose @ ISU (fuck Hilton Magic.)

The back half of our Big 12 schedule is rough:

@ KSU
@ KU
WV
@ Tech
OU
ISU
@ Baylor
@ TCU
Kansas

We have to almost start 7-2 or 8-1 because our toughest road games are in the back half, plus hosting Kansas and ISU. 

• Hook 'Em 1

x/post paraphrasing from the game thread, Terry's decision to make Carr the primary ball handler for the final two minutes was a bad one. either Hunter or Rice has got to be the one to bring up the ball and initiate the offense in those situations.

I mean pretty obvious and predictable at this point, right? We all know that in those situations he ain’t runnin offense (no matter the matchups on the floor or the kind of game he’s having). He’s gonna dribble the air out the ball so he can take the shot. I blame the coaches for not getting the damn ball out of his hands. And Not just Terry. Beard would do the shit too. Too many other experienced players to just rely on that shit now
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Someone could have written this on-the-nose analysis about Greg Brown, who played only a handful of minutes vs a very un-athletic Abeline Christian, and spent what little time he was on the floor standing at the 3-point line.  

Ugh.  

Still a little early…

3 seed in ESPN bracketology in the Louisville Region (First Round: Denver). Exact same for CBS Bracketololgy. 

#6 in ESPN BPI

#8 in KenPom

#15 in barttorvik

Hoping we can at least go 4-2 over the final 6 games in January. That’d be beautiful.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

His disappearance is so odd

He went from looking like the best player on the team to looking like the worst player on the team 

There was a game earlier in the season where he was on the FT line late, and he had an absolute hit-man look in his eyes.  It was so obvious, he knew he was gonna hit those free throws.  Cold as ice.

I want that Tyrese back.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Ignatius said:

…and our first two games in February are at the Kansas schools. This conference is a fucking meat grinder; I’m gonna miss it…

I am really going to miss playing everybody home and home. The new super conference era is here. Yeah we get UH in the league next year but will they even visit Austin? 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/12/2023 at 8:22 AM, Js1 said:

3-1 after last night's game

4 games into the first half of the Big 12 schedule.  We really need to win the Tech game on Saturday, @ WV, OSU at home and then the Baylor game at home.  That would put us at 7-2 in the first half, assuming we lose @ ISU (fuck Hilton Magic.)

The back half of our Big 12 schedule is rough:

@ KSU
@ KU
WV
@ Tech
OU
ISU
@ Baylor
@ TCU
Kansas

We have to almost start 7-2 or 8-1 because our toughest road games are in the back half, plus hosting Kansas and ISU. 

Great Post !! 

Just revisited remaining schedule... tonight's tech game at home is definitely a must win for the Horns.

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Great Post !! 

Just revisited remaining schedule... tonight's tech game at home is definitely a must win for the Horns.

All our home games are “must wins” now bc we gave away one to KSU. Have to win all your home games and pick up 2-4 road wins if you want to have a chance to win the league. We have 2 road wins already, but we probably need 4 or 5 because we dropped a home game already 

The goal should be always 7, 8 or 9 home wins and 3 or 4 road games. 0-6 against KU/KSU/ISU won’t get it done in this league, so we have some work to do with hosting 2 of them and traveling to all 3 of them still 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Did anyone watch the postgame press conference after TCU. I think Hunter is banged up based on Terry’s comments. So that would make some sense. 

If he’s playing through some nagging injuries they probably should have let him rest for a couple games. 

I didn't see the post conference, but it could be more than that. I have no inside info but maybe it's possible that Huntter came to UT because of Coach Beard. Again, I have no idea but maybe Huntter looked up to Coach Beard as a type of father figure and now he's gone. That's tough for a young man to deal with.

22 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Did anyone watch the postgame press conference after TCU. I think Hunter is banged up based on Terry’s comments. So that would make some sense. 

If he’s playing through some nagging injuries they probably should have let him rest for a couple games. 

There’s really no reason to play him through injuries right now if that is indeed the problem. We have guards who can fill those minutes, especially this version of Hunter’s minutes

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Great Post !! 

Basically every home game is must win for us at this point. It’s just so hard to win on the road in the big12. Luckily we have handled our business on the road so far to make up for the KSU debacle 

Posted this in the wrong thread earlier today but it bears repeating.

Any chance we could doctor his birth certificate or transcript or maybe find a second or third COVID exception year? What a great team player.

13 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I wish Rice had three more years of eligibility. 

Love the whole team and every player, but Rice is a joy to watch. And that head fake still never fails to get the defender in the air and to make us laugh.

• Hook 'Em 1

5-5 in the next 10 would be perfectly acceptable. 
that includes road games at 4 top 15 schools along with our 800 pound gorilla in Baylor plus a jihad game for tech in Lubbock. This conference is just a motherfucker. 
I’m going to miss it. Compare that to aggy, for example, who has played one team that is currently ranked. That team is Mizzou. Mizzou won’t be ranked this time next week. It won’t be as much fun in SEC land for hoops. Baseball though, baseball gonna be insane. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/13/2023 at 1:07 PM, jimmyjazz said:

There was a game earlier in the season where he was on the FT line late, and he had an absolute hit-man look in his eyes.  It was so obvious, he knew he was gonna hit those free throws.  Cold as ice.

I want that Tyrese back.

Maybe playing at Iowa St will snap him out of it.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

5-5 in the next 10 would be perfectly acceptable. 
that includes road games at 4 top 15 schools along with our 800 pound gorilla in Baylor plus a jihad game for tech in Lubbock. This conference is just a motherfucker. 
I’m going to miss it. Compare that to aggy, for example, who has played one team that is currently ranked. That team is Mizzou. Mizzou won’t be ranked this time next week. It won’t be as much fun in SEC land for hoops. Baseball though, baseball gonna be insane. 

If I'm reading KenPom correctly, his analytics predict losses at Iowa State, Tennessee and Kansas, and road victories at West Virginia, Kansas State, and Texas Tech.  The remaining four games are in Austin, and we are predicted to beat Oklahoma State, Baylor, West Virginia, and Oklahoma.  (7-3 over the next 10 games.)  I'll believe it when I see it. 

40 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Fine let’s split the difference and go with 6-4. All in favor?

I'd take that and run.  Especially if one of the 4 losses is at the Ricktator.  I like Texas hoops way more than Barnes but have nothing bad to say about him and like to see him do well.  If we were going to be guaranteed to lose 4 I'd want one of them to be against him- plus it's out of conference. 

6-4 would be great when we have 4 away games against top 15 teams and 2 more really really tough away venues on top of that.  Like, awesome awesome.  Then, take care of business at home and you could finish 13-5 and that would be big time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

i don't expect to win in ames, but am very hopeful the team can go 2-1 over the next three.  that puts us at 6-2 ahead of the one game conference break at tennessee.

i also don't expect anyone other than kansas to win the league, so coming out on top of the battle for 2nd is my primary goal for big 12 play.

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Hunter scored 0 points on 0-4 shooting in 26 minutes. He did have one assist though, so that's nice. 

If he's hurt we shouldn't be playing him. 

he had a big rebound where he outjumped everyone at the court towards the end of the game.  i remember it because it was the only noteworthy play he made the entire game.