Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

11th in NET and ISU is 10th

It's going to be intense tomorrow night.  Sold out crowd, students back from winter break, the return of Hunter, Texas team battling through incredible distraction with the Beard situation, both squads hovering around the Top 10 and still very much alive in the conference race.

Can't wait.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

i don't expect to win in ames, but am very hopeful the team can go 2-1 over the next three.  that puts us at 6-2 ahead of the one game conference break at tennessee.

i also don't expect anyone other than kansas to win the league, so coming out on top of the battle for 2nd is my primary goal for big 12 play.

Kansas has hardly been dominant. They probably have a few losses in them. 

22 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

he had a big rebound where he outjumped everyone at the court towards the end of the game.  i remember it because it was the only noteworthy play he made the entire game.

You’re absolutely not wrong. Hunter’s disappearing act is frustrating and inexplicable.

I won’t speculate as to causes, but suffice to say there’s a long list of reasons a player could be off that aren’t visible to the naked eye. Hopefully he will put it together again and isn’t this season’s version of a Tre Mitchell story. On the upside, if he had to take a nap, this was the time.

On 1/15/2023 at 12:58 PM, Red Five said:

Hunter scored 0 points on 0-4 shooting in 26 minutes. He did have one assist though, so that's nice. 

If he's hurt we shouldn't be playing him. 

I seem to recall none of his misses being all that close to falling. Seems a century since he went crazy from deeeeep last March. Have to wonder if there's a nagging physical issue. 

1 hour ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

You’re absolutely not wrong. Hunter’s disappearing act is frustrating and inexplicable.

I won’t speculate as to causes, but suffice to say there’s a long list of reasons a player could be off that aren’t visible to the naked eye. Hopefully he will put it together again and isn’t this season’s version of a Tre Mitchell story. On the upside, if he had to take a nap, this was the time.

Hunter kinda veered between moments of absolute brilliance and some rough games for us last year.  He played great in the Dance, but in the Big 12 grind he definitely had moments - games worth - of struggle.

The thing that was most frustrating was that he would attack the rim, draw contact, miss the shot, but there would be no foul called.  Not sure if that's happening for him at UT, but that and some strange turnovers were things he struggled with at ISU.  Absolute beast on defense, loads of confidence, and some moments where he absolute nailed some crucial shots too.

• Like 2

SIR Jabari Rice is the Big 12 Newcomer of the Week

Rice led Texas to a pair of comeback home wins last week against No. 17/17 TCU (79-75) and Texas Tech (72-70). In the two contests, Rice averaged 16.5 points, 4.0 rebounds and 2.5 assists while converting 16-of-19 (.842) free throws in 25.5 minutes per game. Against TCU, Rice registered 15 points and six rebounds in 23 minutes. He scored all 15 of his points in the second half and sealed the win by grabbing an offensive rebound and hitting a pair of free throws with six seconds remaining. In Saturday's victory against Texas Tech, the graduate guard recorded 18 points, four assists, two rebounds, two blocks and two steals in 29 minutes. He tied his career high in blocks and tied his season high in free throws made. Rice tallied 15 points, three assists against one turnover, two blocks and one steal during 17 minutes of action in the second half. He converted 5-of-6 free throws in the final 20 seconds to close out the victory.

Salute GIF

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

That does not appear to be the case right now.

There are rumors floating on the ISU side that with the whole Beard thing, he's kind of regretting his move.  Could be playing a role, could be sour grapes on whoever's floating this on our end.  Hard to tell.

If he had a tight relationship with Beard, it seems very plausible he could be in a major funk.  I do think he's going to feed off the hate that dumps on him tomorrow night and have a pretty good game.  In the sample size of one season, he struck me as the kind of guy who thrives on that shit.  He made it very clear that being overlooked by Wisconsin fueled him in the Dance.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

under Beard our offensive looks were routinely practice looks- catch and shoot threes from the wing, catch and shoot from the elbow off the curl, floaters, low post bunnies- aka the opposite of what we have now. the second half tonight vs isu has been particularly inept. we were so dominant under beard because we were elite defensively and efficient offensively; we're neither anymore. not even close. this is 2008 & 2009 football + 2010 and 2011 basketball all over again. this shit is cruel for the players and the fans. always "what could have been." 

Edited by shadow_operative
because this goddamn iphone will incorrectly change we're/were every single goddamn time
  • Hook 'Em 1

Unfortunately, I have us losing 5 of the next 7 (this game was included in the 5)

There's no sense blaming the officiating on "Big 12 refs" since they all ref in multiple conferences. We will still have 1 more year of Rick Crawford (who missed the Mitchell call). He doesn't officiate in SEC. But 60% of refs we have in the B12 also ref in the SEC so it's useless to blame it on this conference, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Unfortunately, I have us losing 5 of the next 7 (this game was included in the 5)

There's no sense blaming the officiating on "Big 12 refs" since they all ref in multiple conferences. We will still have 1 more year of Rick Crawford (who missed the Mitchell call). He doesn't officiate in SEC. But 60% of refs we have in the B12 also ref in the SEC so it's useless to blame it on this conference, unfortunately. 

If there’s ever a good time for a coach to get a tech that would have been it. Insane for an obvious undercut to get no called.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Rodney owes me ten bucks for that wasted month of ESPN+.

Not so fast, since @ WV and @ KSU are showing TBA on our schedule, that's where they could end up.  (So is the WV game in Austin, but that'll probably be LHN)

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not so fast, since @ WV and @ KSU are showing TBA on our schedule, that's where they could end up.  (So is the WV game in Austin, but that'll probably be LHN)

Funny, I actually went through the schedule here to see if a month would cover both(?) our + games. But didn't see one scheduled. He can pay me back with a win.

Edited by CurlyDumps

Bishop played 19 mins to Disu's 13 and they both finished with 4 fouls. 

Thats just terrible. You play your best big until he fouls out. 5 extra minutes of DD could have changed that game. Terry should have let him close out the 1st half. Worst case he sits to start the 2nd. Best case you get him to both close and open the half until he picks up his 3rd. 

I've never understood the concept of sitting someone so they don't foul out.  It's basically saying late minutes are more important than early minutes.  No, they aren't.  Losing a lead and falling behind because guys are on the bench is just as bad as them accumulating more fouls and . . . sitting on the bench.  Total playing time is really what matters.

I get it, with a minute or two left in the first half, yeah you might want to sit a guy and hold on for dear life, but beyond that, your best players should be on the court if they aren't gassed.

I know, I know.  I've had people laugh at this perspective dozens of times.  Going for it on 4th down used to be laughed at, too, even when it seemed punting just threw opportunities away.  And now?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Bishop played 19 mins to Disu's 13 and they both finished with 4 fouls. 

Thats just terrible. You play your best big until he fouls out. 5 extra minutes of DD could have changed that game. Terry should have let him close out the 1st half. Worst case he sits to start the 2nd. Best case you get him to both close and open the half until he picks up his 3rd. 

Terry can’t coach his way out of a wet paper bag. This staff is doing it their way so they can put something on a resume for their next job. 

50 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've never understood the concept of sitting someone so they don't foul out.  It's basically saying late minutes are more important than early minutes.  No, they aren't.  Losing a lead and falling behind because guys are on the bench is just as bad as them accumulating more fouls and . . . sitting on the bench.  Total playing time is really what matters.

I get it, with a minute or two left in the first half, yeah you might want to sit a guy and hold on for dear life, but beyond that, your best players should be on the court if they aren't gassed.

I know, I know.  I've had people laugh at this perspective dozens of times.  Going for it on 4th down used to be laughed at, too, even when it seemed punting just threw opportunities away.  And now?  

There have been a lot of studies done to show that sitting your best players who are in foul trouble is a dumb idea. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

There have been a lot of studies done to show that sitting your best players who are in foul trouble is a dumb idea. 

Makes sense to me.  I mean, if you're trying to avoid them getting sent to the bench, putting them on the bench doesn't seem particularly wise.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Makes sense to me.  I mean, if you're trying to avoid them getting sent to the bench, putting them on the bench doesn't seem particularly wise.

Basketball coaching needs to embrace more statistics like other major sports have done. The coach should want his star players on the floor as much as possible without tiring them out because the team scores more points per minute with them. I have seen some statistics that show the number of fouls called increases towards the end of the halves/quarters (makes sense). Then the star player you have been saving for the end of the game is more likely to foul out when you finally put him in.

45 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

the most obvious counter is that if you keep playing him, he might not foul out at all!  

Exactly. Why the fuck are we playing Bishop significantly more minutes when they wound up with the same number of fouls anyway. Because his fouls happened at different points during the game? 

Who gives a shit if Disu fouls out. That's why you have the other guy. Playing the other guy as the #1 because the #1/starter may or may not pick up his xth foul is incredibly irritating. 

Fed Up Reaction GIF

Edited by ztejas