Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

True, but the next 3-game home stretch, absolutely no reason to drop any of those even Iowa State.  (WVU & OKL especially).  Kansas at home will obviously be a toss-up, if not even a possible slight underdog on our part.  But yeah, 3-1 at home down the stretch is absolutely mandatory.  According to a rule I've just made up.  Good news is we won't be playing Wednesday night in the Big XII tourney for once.

Yeah, my bad.  I realized that as soon as I hit "post."  If we tank down the stretch, it's on me.  

Speaking of down the stretch.  Matt Sarz has the Kansas game at home finale at either 11:00a, 1:00p, or 3:00p-CDT.  If anybody gets an early scoop on twitter or whatever, please post here.  My wife's cousin is a Catholic priest and huge KU fan (he's the campus priest in Lawrence as well).  He's flying down basically just for the day to attend the game and so I want to help him plan accordingly so we can get some BBQ and other tourist checkmarks.  

I realize that broadcast over the air radio is not at the top of everyone's list with streaming and satellite radio.  However, I have been searching for over a month now trying to locate the radio affiliate in the DFW area that carries men's basketball.  It has been a bit unusual for the last several years in that football and basketball were on different stations.  I have emailed Learfield communications and it appears that not a single radio station in the DFW area carries the men's basketball broadcast.

I am surprised that an area of the size of DFW doesn't have the games on local radio.

3 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

I realize that broadcast over the air radio is not at the top of everyone's list with streaming and satellite radio.  However, I have been searching for over a month now trying to locate the radio affiliate in the DFW area that carries men's basketball.  It has been a bit unusual for the last several years in that football and basketball were on different stations.  I have emailed Learfield communications and it appears that not a single radio station in the DFW area carries the men's basketball broadcast.

I am surprised that an area of the size of DFW doesn't have the games on local radio.

I sometimes have to go radio when I'm driving.  I can usually find in Houston.

it's supposed to: 

Dallas KBDT 1160 AM

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I sometimes have to go radio when I'm driving.  I can usually find in Houston.

it's supposed to: 

Dallas KBDT 1160 AM

Yeah, that station changed hands about a year ago and is now Radio Saigon / Vietnamese language radio.  I just received a response from Learfield and they confirmed that DFW does not have a station that broadcasts Texas men's basketball.

Just now, TexasGary said:

Yeah, that station changed hands about a year ago and is now Radio Saigon / Vietnamese language radio.  I just received a response from Learfield and they confirmed that DFW does not have a station that broadcasts Texas men's basketball.

That is wild and a huge misstep by Learfield/Texas. And Texas should update their webpage then. 

27 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

Use the Audio broadcast from the Texas Sports website:

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 12.34.01.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 12.35.44.png

11 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Use the Audio broadcast from the Texas Sports website:

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 12.34.01.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 12.35.44.png

I appreciate the response and I do stream when I can, however, this was just pointing out that Texas doesn't have a radio presence in DFW.  They have had their games on local radio in DFW since I moved here in 1993.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35594049/texas-team-week-purdue-no-1-indiana-loss-men-college-basketball-power-rankings-2022-23

Team of the Week: Texas Longhorns

Texas opened this past week by snapping Baylor's six-game winning streak, holding off the Bears in the final minutes after leading for the final 33. On Monday, it was Timmy Allen (18 points) and Sir'Jabari Rice (21 points) carrying most of the offensive load. Saturday's win at Kansas Statewas a little more gritty. The Longhorns overcame a 14-point deficit with a high-energy second half, sparked by Christian Bishop's 14 points and six rebounds -- all of it coming after halftime. After Markquis Nowell gave the Wildcats a one-point lead with 1:01 left, Bishop finished at the rim and Rice extended the lead to three with a pair of free throws. What made the week more impressive is Texas did it with leading scorer Marcus Carraveraging just 7.5 points on 33.3% shooting.

The season could have easily gone sideways for Texas. The Longhorns lost head coach Chris Beard in early December and then, in their second Big 12 game of the season, gave up 116 points in a home loss to Kansas State. One month later, however, they've now won seven of their last nine games and sit in sole possession of first place in the toughest league in the country. Interim head coach Rodney Terry has done a tremendous job keeping this team on the right track.

4. Texas Longhorns (19-4)
Previous ranking:
This week: at Kansas (Monday), vs. West Virginia (Saturday)

Texas' sixth man Sir'Jabari Rice has been one of the key late-game players for the Longhorns. Peter Aiken/Getty Images

It's hard to find a better sixth man this season than Sir'Jabari Rice. There was buzz all offseason that Rice would make a bigger impact than expected, and he's been one of the key late-game players for the Longhorns. He's also playing arguably his best basketball right now. The former New Mexico State transfer averaged 18.7 points and 5.3 rebounds over his last three games, while shooting 50% from 3 and 81% on 21 free-throw attempts. Rice is unafraid to take, and make, big shots, he's terrific from the free throw line and he's earned the trust of Rodney Terry down the stretch in conference play.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well I just looked at NET and we are 9th, not 10th.  KU 8, Texas 9, Arizona 10. Baylor is 11. 

Texas needs to refocus because we have another Q1 opportunity on Saturday at Moody - WV is #20 in NET. 

WV - #20
@ Texas Tech - #71
OU - #61
ISU - #12
@ Baylor - #11
@ TCU - #17
KU - #8

5 more Quad 1 opportunities (8-5 currently) and 2 more Quad 2 opportunities (2-0)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Well I just looked at NET and we are 9th, not 10th.  KU 8, Texas 9, Arizona 10. Baylor is 11. 

Texas needs to refocus because we have another Q1 opportunity on Saturday at Moody - WV is #20 in NET. 

WV - #20
@ Texas Tech - #71
OU - #61
ISU - #12
@ Baylor - #11
@ TCU - #17
KU - #8

5 more Quad 1 opportunities (8-5 currently) and 2 more Quad 2 opportunities (2-0)

Tech is a Q1 game right now as long as they stay in the top 75 (which is probably dicey). Only Q2 game is OU at home.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Tech is a Q1 game right now as long as they stay in the top 75 (which is probably dicey). Only Q2 game is OU at home.

The Big 12 is ridiculous, when the worst conference team that is 1-9 in conference is still Q1

4-0 over the next 2 weeks is crucial.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The Big 12 is ridiculous, when the worst conference team that is 1-9 in conference is still Q1

4-0 over the next 2 weeks is crucial.

ISU will be tough (obviously). They present some matchup problems. I like the way we match up with TCU and Kansas better, although who knows what to expect from TCU with their current injury situation. 

Assuming WVU, Tech and OU are wins, you have to find two wins out of the following: vs ISU, at Baylor, at TCU and vs Kansas. That puts you at 13 and likely winning the conference.

On 2/8/2023 at 3:40 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

Creighton is much better than their record. 

They struggled when their best player was out (Kalkbrenner) or they would be a top 15 team. We were kind of screwed because that would have been a much better win otherwise. 

KenPom has them at #9, one spot ahead of us at #10.  They're good, and it's a good win.

On 2/7/2023 at 10:27 AM, Hookem2147 said:

Saw this elsewhere and thought it was interesting:

Player A: 11.4 ppg, 3.4 apg, 39/34/77 shooting splits, 14.0 PER

Player B: 10.1 ppg, 2.8 apg, 39/31/77 shooting splits, 11.7 PER

Player A is Marcus Carr last season, Player B is Tyrese Hunter this season.

Well to be fair, Carr sort of sucked last season

Can someone help me out on where I should park for the game tomorrow? I haven't been downtown in ages. Last time I went to a game, I parked at my brother's house in Clarksville (which he since sold) and was shuttled to the FB stadium. Never been to moody and can't remember where the hell we used to park at the drum 25 years ago.

Edited by HOOKEM4