Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

7 hours ago, HookEm said:

We still have a path to a 1-seed.  

A8874DC4-B02C-4CE3-849E-B0D76D4881BB.thumb.jpeg.84f42f6d34142f790839d6c189e745db.jpeg

we'd have to go at least 3-1 and then at least make, if not win the conference tourney in order to get a 1 seed. i think it's more likely that we go 1-3 than we do 3-1. 2-2 seems most reasonable. we're already on the fringe of the 2/3 seed line. i don't see us climbing any higher. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

A8874DC4-B02C-4CE3-849E-B0D76D4881BB.thumb.jpeg.84f42f6d34142f790839d6c189e745db.jpeg

we'd have to go at least 3-1 and then at least make, if not win the conference tourney in order to get a 1 seed. i think it's more likely that we go 1-3 than we do 3-1. 2-2 seems most reasonable. we're already on the fringe of the 2/3 seed line. i don't see us climbing any higher. 

Well, not with that attitude we won't.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

KenPom and Massey both have us winning 2.1 more regular season games, so actually slightly better chance we go 3-1 than 1-3.  

I think we may need to win 5 more games to get a 1 seed.  So we need to do one of the following:

- Win out and then win the Big12 opener

- Go 3-1 and then make the title game

- Go 2-2 and then win the Big12 Tourney

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

• Haha 2

UT favored by -7.5 tonight, and I think that's about right.

Grill isn't playing, which I'm sure is a disappointment to most here.  You can heckle him while he sits on the bench in street clothes and argue that his injury was a result of karma from the previous match up, but I don't see any way he plays (and I don't think he should until his back is right).

Unless Kalscheur has one of his stuck on automatic from 3 games, I don't see us creating sustainable offense tonight.  I think you'll be able to pressure our guards enough to force a lot of turnovers, and I don't see us forcing enough to make up the difference.  Get our bigs in foul trouble early, and they won't be much of a factor.  We'll have a hot streak in the first half, and get a little lead early in the 2nd half, but after that I think the Texas defense takes over and the difference in guard play will show itself.  You guys force a bunch of turnovers, and we fail to capitalize on any opportunities we get in the last 10 minutes.

73-64 UT.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

I mean, there's a chance he plays, but the ISU insiders don't think he will.  He didn't play on Saturday in Manhattan.  Now that we're out of the conference race, there's no point in putting him out there when he's not 100%.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That time of the month?

Pretty much.  Karma bit him almost immediately in the Texas game when he hurt his back.

I get conference tournaments are fun and what not but I hope we play well enough down the stretch of the regular season to lock in our seeding (hopefully a 2) heading into Kansas City. Unless we are fighting for our postseason lives or for hosting purposes, conference tournaments in basketball and baseball are kinda whatever. 

We blew a 20-point lead to TCU in the quarterfinals last year and then beat a Virginia Tech team 8 days later who had to play 4 games in 4 days the prior week. Winning is winning, but rest is also important this time of year and you don't want to blow your whole load in Kansas City.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It's easy to forget that we lost 5 of our last 8 games heading into the tournament last year. But we finally won a damn tournament game and then went toe to toe with Purdue so a lot of people forgot all about that.

All I remember is maybe we get a 5 seed instead if we don't blow that huge lead to TCU in the Big 12 tourney and we face a team that doesn't have a fucking redwood tree at center and a 5th overall pick. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Kinda wanted Mitchell to go full WWE hit him with a folding chair as payback for the game in Ames 

5 hours ago, Pancho said:

I’d have no issue with Brock going sideways on Grill and getting the auto-ejection. 

Now that I know that can’t happen tonight because he’s out makes me walk around all day today like this:

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

Buck up, camper. Sometimes an errant pass accidentally lands on the nose of a guy sitting on the bench in street clothes.

Sometimes*.

*you hearing me Brock?

• Hook 'Em 1

x/post

this second half hasn't been our best half of the season, but i know i'm not the only one who is watching this team and thinking, "we can make a run." guard play, experience, (experienced guards for that matter), athleticism, FT shooting, senior role players- oh, and a group of guys who are on an absolute mission. this team has the makeup of a final four team. they really do. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

I'm going to be honest--I'm impressed with a&m's defense. 

This board is going to lose their shit if a.) aggy goes further in the tournament than Texas and b.) CDC doesn't nail the hire. 

The SEC blows dick this year, and their best team likes to kill people. I wouldn't too much about aggy is going to do once they have to play teams outside of College Station.

28 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The SEC blows dick this year, and their best team likes to kill people. I wouldn't too much about aggy is going to do once they have to play teams outside of College Station.

It's going to be close to the same result as last year in the tournament where only 1 SEC team made it to the 2nd weekend. It will be Alabama instead of Arkansas this year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

I'm going to be honest--I'm impressed with a&m's defense. 

This board is going to lose their shit if a.) aggy goes further in the tournament than Texas and b.) CDC doesn't nail the hire. 

I guarantee you I couldn't care less about A&M basketball. 

33 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

I was surprised, but they also have AJ Johnson going 13th overall.

If both are top 13 picks, all the "Rodney will keep the recruits!" seems moot. Maybe they'd consider a year at Texas, or being a top-15 pick right now. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

If both are top 13 picks, all the "Rodney will keep the recruits!" seems moot. Maybe they'd consider a year at Texas, or being a top-15 pick right now. 

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, I'm a superfan of a college education, but if my kid were projected as a top 15 pick in a top tier pro sports league, I'd probably lose my mind if he enrolled in school.

What the fuck are y'all talking about?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

AJ Johnson and Ron Holland aren't eligible for the 2023 NBA draft. That is a 2024 mock.

Fair enough, I don't pay much attention to any drafts -- modify my position to "if you're a projected top 15 pick, get the fuck out of school".

Of course, that often ends poorly, but at least the opportunity is there.