Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

On 3/3/2023 at 6:48 PM, CTC2 said:

Disagree. I have attended every home game this season and watched the rest on TV.  We have regressed.  Other teams have figured us out to a degree but the staff has not done anything to counter it. 

Still think we have regressed?  It is strange that these other Big-12 teams figured us out but Bill Self didn't.

Or maybe we were just playing REALLY good teams on the road in the toughest conference in the last 20 years.  

Losing happens in college basketball.  Especially on the road to decent teams. Just today the following higher ranked teams lost:  

• #2 Alabama (at #24 Aggy)
  • #3 Kansas (to us)
  • #7 Baylor (at home to UR Iowa State)
  • #11 K-State (at UR West Virginia)
  • #12 Tennessee (at UR Auburn)
  • #20 Providence (at home to UR Seton Hall)
  • #22 TCU (at UR OU)

I feel as good about our chances in the tournament as I have in at least 10 years.  We have never had a team this experienced or this deep. Sure we have glaring issues, but every team in the field does as well. 

2 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Still think we have regressed?  It is strange that these other Big-12 teams figured us out but Bill Self didn't.

Or maybe we were just playing REALLY good teams on the road in the toughest conference in the last 20 years.  

Losing happens in college basketball.  Especially on the road to decent teams. Just today the following higher ranked teams lost:  

• #2 Alabama (at #24 Aggy)
  • #3 Kansas (to us)
  • #7 Baylor (at home to UR Iowa State)
  • #11 K-State (at UR West Virginia)
  • #12 Tennessee (at UR Auburn)
  • #20 Providence (at home to UR Seton Hall)
  • #22 TCU (at UR OU)

I feel as good about our chances in the tournament as I have in at least 10 years.  We have never had a team this experienced or this deep. Sure we have glaring issues, but every team in the field does as well. 

Today was definitely the best defensive game of the RT tenure.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

It's almost like this team maybe has a lower ceiling than everyone thought. I think any game after the 1st round will be a game that Texas can win or lose, and it has nothing to do with Terry. It's hilarious that all the blame is on Terry but he gets none of the praise when the team waxes one of the best teams in college basketball off the court. This game was never close after the 1st TV timeout.

Terry actually made a good adjustment versus Kansas. 

Texas lost the first game because they were hedging Harris way too hard and he was beating Texas off the dribble. Texas wisely adjusted and went under on everything. Harris is afraid to shoot the ball from the perimeter. Texas sagged off him all game and that was the difference. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, CTC2 said:

Today was definitely the best defensive game of the RT tenure.  

I generally agree, but KU was also missing a lot of open 3s.  I thought the interior / help defense was very good though. And we were giving a lot more effort rebounding.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

It's almost like this team maybe has a lower ceiling than everyone thought. I think any game after the 1st round will be a game that Texas can win or lose, and it has nothing to do with Terry. It's hilarious that all the blame is on Terry but he gets none of the praise when the team waxes one of the best teams in college basketball off the court. This game was never close after the 1st TV timeout.

The staff had a good plan today and really dialed up the defensive pressure.  I wish he could have done the same at Tech, Baylor and TCU.  Truth is we match up poorly with those three teams. 

4 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I generally agree, but KU was also missing a lot of open 3s.  I thought the interior / help defense was very good though. And we were giving a lot more effort rebounding.

Yeah, but that's how you defend Kansas. If you take away Dick they struggle to hit 3s sometimes. 

That was the gameplan in this one. Don't let Dick go off from 3 and sag off everyone else. The interior defense was good because we were getting bodies in the paint. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Oh good, we get one of the Okie schools.  I eagerly await the prognosticators telling us how hard it is to beat a team 3 times in one season.

3 of the 4 bottom seeds we swept. Much prefer that to Tech

13 hours ago, HookEm said:

Still think we have regressed?  

yep. kansas was terrible yesterday, they looked lethargic and hungover, and frankly we didn't look very much better than they did for the first 25-30 minutes. i watched the game with my mom, dad, and a former student of ours/former teammate of KJ Adams, and throughout the first half and into the second half we all were commenting on how sloppily and poorly the game was being played. our guys kept on taking stupid shots and seemed to not even be trying to run offensive sets for multiple possessions in a row. we had several sloppy turnovers, and did not look good, even though we were beating a KI team that looked even worse. it truly wasn't good basketball.

so just because we beat a KU team that had nothing to play for in a home game where the analytics heavily favored us doesn't mean that we still haven't looked totally subpar compared to where this roster should be/would be if it still had its HC and leader. if we play like we did yesterday we will lose in the round of 32, barring our opponent sleepwalking through the game like kansas did.

Edited by shadow_operative

Maybe I just misinterpreted previous posts.  Obviously we have regressed from when Beard coached the team.

But I'm pretty sure the comment was saying that we had specifically regressed in late February - and that other big 12 coaches have now "figured us out".  Based primarily on us losing AT Baylor and TCU.  That is absurd in my opinion. We are basically the same team we have been for the last 2 months, with the same strengths and the same flaws. 

It seems like people keep feeling the need to compare us to what we could have been. That is wasted energy IMO.  Beard is gone and he isn't coming back. He absolutely fucked this program and these kids. What we do from here remains to be seen, but I'm tired of talking about him.

It also feels like people are more critical of this team simply to justify that we shouldn't hire Rodney Terry, which I understand.  But... we just knocked off KU and there is less joy in that and actually even some hand wringing that it might lead to us hiring Terry.  If that is the focus, then I think people are going to miss out on a potentially amazing run.

For me, this is the most fun team we have had in over a decade. It is actually the most FUN team for me since probably the DJ Augustin Elite 8 team.  I trust that CDC will make the right decision after the season, so for now I'm just going to enjoy it.  It doesn't mean I have blinders on to our team's flaws, but I try to keep them in perspective vs. all the other teams in CBB. Every team out there has flaws this year and we can beat anyone.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

We had 7 total turnovers for the entire game yesterday and like only 3 in the first half.  How does that equate into SEVERAL SLOPPY turnovers and a poorly played game.  Some people are just determined to see the worst regardless of what actually took place.  

dude give me a goddamn break, you don't even believe this BS you've just written. *I* am just determined to see the worst no matter what? that's me? that's my MO? and  the same goes for my mom, dad, and TJ? we all just sat there determined to be miserable? fuck outta here.

and yeah, you either weren't paying attention or have retrograde amnesia if you think we played a good game for the first 25-30 minutes. we looked sloppy, our offensive possessions were often terrible and bereft of any semblance of running any actual sets, we took a bunch of stupid shots, often early in the shot clock, and so on and so forth. KU played their worst game of the season and yet it was still anyone's game until about the u8 TO of the 2H. if you watched that game yesterday and you think we played well for the first 3/4 of that game then you simply are fucking clueless catdaddy. maybe you're right though. maybe my entire family watches texas just to miserable, and maybe you're an idiot who has no idea what he's watching. ive never believed either of those things, but maybe you're right.

A38D2F43-1510-4E91-9DF4-588D0A33DF84.thumb.jpeg.407ee875c410602c6eac356b243d696a.jpeg

59D9F9EB-69FF-4ECC-BD50-7B50A044937B.thumb.jpeg.da9f9a0fbdd3a0e71bbd8e228017f3c3.jpeg

587593F8-F15A-4332-B3C9-6D6CA4C81EE9.thumb.jpeg.f1b69cc7cdec22b543a79d941ec24bfc.jpeg

417C3A2B-1F07-4CF9-9D06-549963AC1A1E.thumb.jpeg.da14d01f9de7772680899b7855760c80.jpeg

29944CE6-ADF6-4E6A-8C1C-E844B0F69273.thumb.jpeg.15dd430d474f376971cd4d5b86a16edc.jpeg

A4864F94-18DE-4B1B-8CE7-4F31ABA519CF.thumb.jpeg.0d71759eeec5a3ad3803fa08ad21db19.jpeg

buncha quick threes, quick TO's, and stretches withoit even trying to run offense or settle for anything other than another three that would inevitably miss. don't tell me we played well yesterday. that was not one of our better games, particularly the first half hour or so. and fuck sunshine pumping shit talkers who want to gatekeep this forum. 

Edited by shadow_operative

KU had nothing to play for and it showed in their effort level. They already had won the conference and secured the #1 seed in the tournament. This is not to take anything away from the win on senior night. We played our best defense in a long time and rebounded well. Wish we had secured a share of the title by beating TCU the other night though. 

Edited by UTEE97

You don't think playing for the #1 overall tournament seed, where they get to PICK the Sweet 16 location matters? When one of those locations is Kansas City?

Okaaay.

I guarantee you that if Houston is the #1 seed, they will pick Kansas City and force KU to Louisville or Las Vegas.

42 minutes ago, HookEm said:

You don't think playing for the #1 overall tournament seed, where they get to PICK the Sweet 16 location matters? When one of those locations is Kansas City?

Okaaay.

I guarantee you that if Houston is the #1 seed, they will pick Kansas City and force KU to Louisville or Las Vegas.

It was not a bad loss for KU, as everything is still in front of them. Texas was favored for a reason. If they could afford to lay an egg, that would have been the game. 

52 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Okaaay.

if you think KU played like they had anything to play for yesterday then you simply can't be taken seriously.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

It was not a bad loss for KU, as everything is still in front of them. Texas was favored for a reason. If they could afford to lay an egg, that would have been the game. 

when they showed self on the sideline yesterday he didn't even look mad. he was almost smiling a wry smile as he shook his head, be wise deep down there's a part of him that is 100% happy that KU played like they sleepwalking yesterday. now he gets to destroy them during a film session and remind them of how easily they can be beaten on the precipice of postseason play. KU played like they didn't even care to be there, and there's simply zero chance they would have looked like that if the actual title was still up for grabs.

• Like 2

I watched the entire Houston vs Memphis game and Memphis came all of the way back from the deficit, Houston looked totally done, had trouble even getting off a shot!   Then I posted the above and suddenly Houston has come to life and Memphis looks done.  

Up to 7 after we split the week

UH, UCLA, KU, Alabama, Purdue

Marquette 6, Gonzaga 9, Baylor 10, KSU 12, Tenn 17, aggy 18, TCU 22, Creighton 24

Texas finishes the regular season 6-5 against the end of season top 25 (9-6 if you add in ISU/WV receiving votes) 

As of now, it is KU, UH, Alabama and UCLA

I think Texas needs Alabama and Purdue to lose early, as Purdue would probably slot ahead of us in terms of 2 seeds in contention for a 1 seed.  Arizona and Baylor are the other two. 

Play Thursday like a normal game, and if you win then don't be afraid to give Morris and Mitchell 20-25 minutes each on Friday and let the chips fall where they may. If by the time Friday's game rolls around you feel like the chance at a 1-seed is real, then maybe you rethink it but I'm not jumping up and down for joy to play 3 games in 3 days before the tournament.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just for arguments sake, let's say we win the Big 12 Tournament vs. Kansas and Alabama, Purdue and UCLA all lose their first conference tournament game.  That would result in the following Quad 1 records:

• Kansas:  17-7
  • Texas:  14-8
  • Purdue:  9-5
  • Alabama:  9-6
  • UCLA:  7-5
  • Houston: 6-1

I'm not sure how the selection committee could deny Texas a 1-seed in this case.  We would have seven more Q1 wins than UCLA and five more than Purdue or Alabama.  And would have beaten the probable overall #1 seed Kansas twice in the the last week.

Just now, Catdaddyhorn said:

Please let this happen!!!

I know, right? It would literally feel like a gift from the hoops god's. I'm not saying Texas would go to the FF (in Houston no less) in that scenario but Texas would go to the FF in Houston in that scenario. 

Ideal matchup (realistic top 10/20 type teams) once there would be something like UH, AZ and UConn or something like that.  

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I know, right? It would literally feel like a gift from the hoops god's. I'm not saying Texas would go to the FF (in Houston no less) in that scenario but Texas would go to the FF in Houston in that scenario. 

Ideal matchup (realistic top 10/20 type teams) once there would be something like UH, AZ and UConn or something like that.  

From the hoop god's what?

And, since when is there only one hoop god?  What happened to the others?

What's probably going to cost Texas a 1 seed is the number of Q4 games played in non-conference. 

Quadrant 4 games-

Texas 7

UCLA 6

Purdue 4

Kansas 3

Alabama 3

If just 3 or 4 of those Q4 games were in Q3 Texas would  be 3 to 5 spots higher in NET. If Texas wins 2 or 3 games in the Big 12 tournament the quality wins might still outweigh that problem. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

What's probably going to cost Texas a 1 seed is the number of Q4 games played in non-conference. 

Quadrant 4 games-

Texas 7

UCLA 6

Purdue 4

Kansas 3

Alabama 3

If just 3 or 4 of those Q4 games were in Q3 Texas would  be 3 to 5 spots higher in NET. If Texas wins 2 or 3 games in the Big 12 tournament the quality wins might still outweigh that problem. 

I don't see Texas winning 2 or 3 games in the conference tournament. We are not a very good team away from Moody. That may hurt us more in getting the #1 seed than our quad 4 wins.

• Haha 1