Chris Beard is not going to take your shit

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

It isn’t Chris Beards job to hold a random fan accountable and frankly there’s nothing to hold him accountable for. The fan is well within his rights to say what he said whether stupid or not.
What I mean by grow up is stop acting like being a man means putting people in their place just because your tough. Grown ups shouldn’t feel the need to escalate at the words or someone who is irrelevant. 
You also keep pretending that absolutely nothing could have happened which is just stupid. Nothing did happen. Which is why I don’t care that he did it. That said, walk down the tunnel and celebrate a huge win with your team instead of worrying about the opinion of some mouth breather.

There’s nothing to pretend about. There was nothing in that entire dynamic that even remotely resembled a situation that was going to get out of control. Beard was already in that kind of situation in Lubbock, and he handled it fine, even if he obviously bristled at many aspects of it. There’s some level of discernment he’s capable of. I feel like you’re being stupid when you pretend it could have been something it wasn’t. 

As far as Beard’s job...you mean it’s not his job as the head basketball coach at the University of Texas to address opposing fans after games? Okay. That’s not important to me. He already did his job. He chose to address the fan because he felt like it was appropriate. So do I. It has nothing to do with his job. It’s Beard being a human being and calling a fellow human being to account. 

Whether it was within his rights as an OU fan is immaterial. Beard didn’t arrest him. The kid was being a jackass - within his rights - and Beard called him into account for it - well within his rights, whether in his job description or not. 

He took 10 seconds to address it, and then joined his team in the locker room to celebrate a big win. Voila! Remarkably, it was possible to do both. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Not everything has to be some proving ground of toughness. 

But the people acting like Beard did something wrong here are having to use scary hypotheticals which aren’t even remotely relevant. 

When you’re scared of confrontation because of all the hypothetical consequences that aren’t relevant, that’s way worse than requiring everything to be a proving ground of toughness. This was taking 10 seconds to walk up to a kid and briefly hold him accountable for his actions. That’s literally all it was. 

In your opinion Beard would have been the bigger person by ignoring it altogether. IMO he was the bigger person by asking the kid a direct question in a calm manner, and then walking away. 

And while not everything is a proving ground of toughness, certainly some things are. Backing down becomes a habit. I’m glad our coach doesn’t have that. 

I have no idea what you mean by grow up, but I don’t care, either. 

If you really want to talk about being macho, “holding someone accountable for their actions” in that scenario would have to involve Beard punching that dude in the face. Reputation over consequences. There’s 0 toughness involved in meeting words with more words, especially when someone disrespects you. If he wasn’t going to be about it he was better off just continuing on walking. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I predict this thread will eventually outpace the "Hillary isn't POTUS" thread, and that's pathetic.

I don’t know what this means, but I assume this thread is going to die down pretty quickly. I can’t inagine people are up in arms about what Beard did here so much they want to keep arguing about it. But maybe I’m mistaken. 

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

If you really want to talk about being macho, “holding someone accountable for their actions” in that scenario would have to involve Beard punching that dude in the face. Reputation over consequences. There’s 0 toughness involved in meeting words with more words, especially when someone disrespects you. If he wasn’t going to be about it he was better off just continuing on walking. 

In defense of Beard, I don’t think he was trying to be tough. It pissed him off a little bit and he went over and asked the guy a simple question. Since the guy yelled that with most of the fans already gone, it must have seemed more personal. When someone says it with a packed house I would think it’s easier to block out. Kind of like the game in Lubbock. I’m sure he heard “traitor” and much worse but never confronted anyone. For just a moment he was a human being that reacted. I think that’s all there is to it and still have zero problem with it.

Edited by CowtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t agree. It’s possible to get a point across without throwing down, or threatening to do so. It happens every day. It happened here. 

If you feel like the only way to hold someone accountable is with a punch to the face, and if you’re not willing to do that you should just walk away, then we’ll just have to agree to disagree. Glad Beard didn’t go down that route, and I’m also glad he didn’t walk away. 

1 minute ago, Pam Cummings said:

This thread is why the internet was a stupid idea. Fucking idiots dissecting every aspect about this one tiny, insignificant interaction between two people.

True. Insignificant, but still funny. Josh should have learned from Kyler…take the loss and leave the building. 

6 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

This thread is why the internet was a stupid idea. Fucking idiots dissecting every aspect about this one tiny, insignificant interaction between two people.

Charles F Strong would concur that the internet is the mother of social media.

31 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the Jose Mourinho Gambit. tried and true. 

As someone who really doesn't care about soccer even a little bit, it was fun reading through that guy's history real quick. I assume futbol clubs go through managers like tissue paper, given how much the guy has moved around while being as successful as he's been. 

I also really liked this quote:

Mourinho was highly critical of Ferreira, whom he had first encountered as his teacher at ISEF and later lambasted the veteran coach by stating, "This could be the story of a donkey who worked for 30 years but never became a horse."

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I don’t agree with this at all. Chris Beard is plenty quick witted. This wasn’t about showcasing his repartee. This was about confronting one individual who felt like he could say whatever he wanted without consequence. When confronted, the kid couldn’t back it up. He just got that deer in a headlights look cowards of all sorts get in that situation. 

All of you people chastising Beard, or saying he needs to talk to the PR department need to get over yourselves. Beard didn’t get involved in fisticuffs. As noted, he was direct and challenging, but he wasn’t bowing up. He wanted to see if that kid was willing to stand by his words when directly confronted about it. He got his answer. 

None of us are going to change the world in any kind of demonstrable way. Not you, me, or Chris Beard, even. But letting bad actors get away with shitty behavior allows them the feeling of more and more entitlement. I like that Beard held one person accountable for their behavior, even if it was in a small way, with a tiny gesture. If more of us were willing to stand up to bad actors the human race would be better off. 

I wasn't suggesting he let the kid off easy. I was saying that if he couldn't respond in a way that didn't seem defensive, like he'd let the kid get to him, then he'd be better off not having said anything.

This didn't look to me like a grown man showing a young punk up. This looked to me like a grown man falling for a troll.

4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I wasn't suggesting he let the kid off easy. I was saying that if he couldn't respond in a way that didn't seem defensive, like he'd let the kid get to him, then he'd be better off not having said anything.

This didn't look to me like a grown man showing a young punk up. This looked to me like a grown man falling for a troll.

Yeah, I don't see it that way at all. Kid shit himself. The kid was okay being a troll as long as no one could call him on his shit. As soon as he was confronted face to face, he completely wilted.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

As someone who really doesn't care about soccer even a little bit, it was fun reading through that guy's history real quick. I assume futbol clubs go through managers like tissue paper, given how much the guy has moved around while being as successful as he's been. 

I also really liked this quote:

Mourinho was highly critical of Ferreira, whom he had first encountered as his teacher at ISEF and later lambasted the veteran coach by stating, "This could be the story of a donkey who worked for 30 years but never became a horse."

god he is the most quotable man in world football. he's the absolute master at keeping the heat on himself and off of his players. 

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

In a thread full of mind-numbing tripe about the most banal non-event in recorded history, I just want to say I’m in for 1001 Derka Nights.  

Genie:  You have 3 wishes.

Derka:  I wish for Rick Barnes to win a national championship.

Genie:  Granted.  Your second wish?

Derka:  I wish for Rick Barnes to win a second national championship.

Genie: Um, ok.  Granted.

Derka:  Question - can I wish for unlimited wishes?

Genie: [sighs] Well, it’s a loophole, but technically, yes. 

Derka:  Ok, cool.  Then I wish for Shaka Smart’s dick to fall off … over and over again for an unlimited number of times.

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886gs0qbht5p0yrmjitvz

I clicked on this thread thinking it might be a quality derka paean in praise of Beard or about Beard saying something at a PC that taunted shitheel opponents like OU or something. That was my hope. 

It starts out just like that. Then, the vaginal walls of this fanbase start to collapse almost immediately and the thread devolves into patrician whining versus support for a grown man having the backbone to hold another adult accountable in some small way. 

I Dont Arrested Development GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Peak??? @Helobious had a completely sincere take that toughness is measured only by a man's willingness to immediately escalate any verbal altercation to face punches.

That’s not what I said. Not every verbal altercation needs to go that way. But if someone personally insults you and all you do is talk back you’re a bitch. I’ve seen people get arrested because they started a fight over a personal insult. No fucks given, they were really about protecting their rep. I wouldn’t take it that far, because I know I’m not some major badass tough guy deep down & I don’t act like it.

It’s just funny seeing people that grew up soft thinking that verbally sparring with someone makes you tough, when you know they wouldn’t escalate things beyond that because they’re scared of getting in trouble or hurt. That doesn’t seem very tough or strong to me but you do you.

12 hours ago, Helobious said:

That’s not what I said. Not every verbal altercation needs to go that way. But if someone personally insults you and all you do is talk back you’re a bitch. I’ve seen people get arrested because they started a fight over a personal insult. No fucks given, they were really about protecting their rep. I wouldn’t take it that far, because I know I’m not some major badass tough guy deep down & I don’t act like it.

It’s just funny seeing people that grew up soft thinking that verbally sparring with someone makes you tough, when you know they wouldn’t escalate things beyond that because they’re scared of getting in trouble or hurt. That doesn’t seem very tough or strong to me but you do you.

OK. That's not what you said. But Chris beard is a bitch for not immediately punching a random college student  in public for the deeply  personal affront of calling him a traitor for changing jobs.

Precisely nobody was discussing where Chris Beard's confrontation ranked on the "bitch or tough guy" scale, but I do appreciate you blustering into the thread to let us know that growing up on the mean streets of Harlingen has enlightened you to the true measure of toughness and repute - arrests and assault charges.

How many of these John Wicks you witnessed throwing hands over name calling were public figures making millions at the top of their career field? Eh, minor difference right? Doesn't matter if Chris Beard has a $30 million contract and successful career to lose. It's the same as a Harlingen hero working 35 hours a week at Jiffy Lube. 

14 hours ago, Helobious said:

That’s not what I said. Not every verbal altercation needs to go that way. But if someone personally insults you and all you do is talk back you’re a bitch.

LOL wut?  Worst case, you're tempting the other guy to escalate beyond the verbal, but it hardly makes one a "bitch" to fire back with words.

What a weird concept.

Regarding Beard:  it wasn't intentional, but it's possible he's managed to bring the heat on himself and less on his team.  Depending on the kid, that could pay dividends.

41 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

OK. That's not what you said. But Chris beard is a bitch for not immediately punching a random college student  in public for the deeply  personal affront of calling him a traitor for changing jobs.

Precisely nobody was discussing where Chris Beard's confrontation ranked on the "bitch or tough guy" scale, but I do appreciate you blustering into the thread to let us know that growing up on the mean streets of Harlingen has enlightened you to the true measure of toughness and repute - arrests and assault charges.

How many of these John Wicks you witnessed throwing hands over name calling were public figures making millions at the top of their career field? Eh, minor difference right? Doesn't matter if Chris Beard has a $30 million contract and successful career to lose. It's the same as a Harlingen hero working 35 hours a week at Jiffy Lube. 

Chris Beard makes $5 million to win games for Texas, graduate players, recruit at a high level, keep the NCAA off our backs and, VERY IMPORTANTLY, not embarrass the university off the court in a non-coaching capacity. 

It's not in his job description to confront trash talking fans - let it fucking go. It doesn't make him "a bitch" or "weak" or beta or whatever the fucking tough guy alpha male big ball bros here like to puff up their chest about. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Chris Beard makes $5 million to . . . VERY IMPORTANTLY, not embarrass the university off the court in a non-coaching capacity. 

I'm not sure you understand this, but plenty of people don't find what he did embarrassing.  You know, differences of opinion and all that.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure you understand this, but plenty of people don't find what he did embarrassing.  You know, differences of opinion and all that.

I would hazard to say that CDC probably would have preferred Beard didn't confront that kid.  Just my guess. 

this thread is so goddamn disappointing. it took Shaka about 5 years to get this much pushback on anything that he said or did, but now all of a sudden Chris Beard spending five seconds saying one sentence to a fan who talked shit to him is just the most concerning and embarrassing thing that's ever happened to Texas basketball. 

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this thread is so goddamn disappointing. it took Shaka about 5 years to get this much pushback on anything that he said or did, but now all of a sudden Chris Beard spending five seconds saying one sentence to a fan who talked shit to him is just the most concerning and embarrassing thing that's ever happened to Texas basketball. 

Ok bro.  Hope you didn’t hurt yourself with that one 

5 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Exactly. Why give it a second thought or any acknowledgment?

you've got to be kidding me. the guy who changes his posting handle every other week and has a 10-15 year history of obsessing over multiple posters and overreacting to all kinds of harmless, inane crap on the internet wants to know why Chris Beard didn't just ignore some kid who talked shit to him in person. that's rich. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 3